What is your "That Book"?

kuroshimo

Mar 31, 2011
Orson Scott Card has a jewel named the Homecoming Saga, but it's overshadowed by the Ender's books. my other favorite series are all Japanese imports, I can't get enough of Full Metal Panic, Battle Royale, or Seikai.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The_Decoy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Yeah, you definitely should. I don't really know where you are in the book, but the minor details in the beginning come back up later, which is kind of a pain, but will be used in awesome ways, I don't wanna spoil anything for you.

I've read a few books where the author says stuff like that, it makes the reading much more interesting I think.

I've never heard of that book before, what's it about?
I'm currently at a royalist dinner party after dearest Ed has been seized by the gendarme. The friend who lent it to me is amazed I haven't heard the story before, so thank you as I'm trying to keep everything spoiler free :)

Yeah, it's quite a nice technique, it makes it feel more like someone telling you a story round a campfire... Any other books like that you'd recommend?

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is actually a series of ten books covering around three continents and a few years. If you like epic fantasy, multiple plotlines, shitloads of actually decent characters then it's well worth reading if you've got the time. Most fantasy is a bit crap when it's played straight but Erikson develops a lot of well rounded characters who actually have a sense of humour and humanity about them.

The first book - Gradens of the Moon - is about the invasion and occupation of a continent. Everyone schemes, there are occasional betrayals and some really quite sad bits throughout the series.
It gets better after that and that's all I'm going to say, and you're welcome! It's a pet-peeve of mine when people damn near spoil books for me.

Well, the last book I've read that did that was Soren Kierkegaard's Purity Of Heart Is To Will One Thing. It's a philosophy book, and he's notorious for using that style. So if that's your thing, I highly suggest checking that out. Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles use it as well- Interview with the Vampire, Vampire Lestat, and Queen of the Damned- if you want to actually read a good vampire book. I don't remember any other authors that use them off the top of my head right now, sadly.

Good god, you weren't kidding about time consuming. Decent characters you say? Well now I'm going to definitely have to check that out now, seeing as I'm right in the middle of heavy book I wouldn't mind starting a series that's actually light.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LiberalSquirrel said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LiberalSquirrel said:
You have great taste, my friend.

As well as the two listed above, I'll say Bram Stoker's Dracula- I read this so much in high school that the cover fell off. And The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, because I adore any and all of Poe's writings (I've got three different copies of his complete works, so one is bound to be with me no matter where I am). And quite a few more, of course. Shakespeare's Hamlet. Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. And, last but not least, Plato's Symposium.

...And a lot of others that I'm forgetting at the moment. Thus are the dangers of asking such a question of an English major.
I love Poe, I read him religiously in Junior High, and occasionally still do. I have a really nice leather bound Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe as a graduation present, but I'm afraid to touch it since it's really nice and I don't want to ruin it.

And you are the first person that has read Plato's Symposium I've encountered.
I have the same problem, actually- my really nice leather bound Edgar Allan Poe collection sits on my shelf, looking pretty and shiny and collecting dust, while my two slightly-less-nice versions get travel-worn. I adore books, but I'm always scared to touch the really nice looking ones.

The first person, though? Really? Huh. I really enjoy all of Plato's dialogues. Symposium is just the first one I read, and the one I've reread the most times, so it's the one most applicable to this thread.
Yeah, mine sits right next to the Shakespeare collection, a perfect haven for dust bunnies. Meanwhile, my other Poe and Shakespeare books look like a dog tried to eat them. Sad really.

That you are, no one I personally know reads the same things I do and I get blank looks when I mention what I'm reading.
You have a Shakespeare collection? I'm jealous. I've got most all of his individual works, but I'm severely lacking in the "pretty collected works" version.

Oh, I know the "blank look" reaction quite well. Example of a typical conversation: "Oh, what are you reading?" "A collection of Aristophanes's comedies." "-blank stare-"

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
God Eaters by Jessie Hajicek. I've read it about 8 times now. It's such a great book and it's pretty long so it takes me awhile to read it....though my copy is getting old and rundown. Poor thing, I've really put it through it's paces.

doorofnight

Jul 9, 2011
I have several 'that books' that I just keep coming back to and every time I read I find it meaningful and interesting as the first time I read it.

Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman
The Sandman by Gaiman(I've read the series 4 times in 2 years, and I have founded in incredible and moving every time)
The entire Discworld Series
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams

Those are the big one's for me

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
DJDarque said:
The Dresden Files. I could read them all day, every day. ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.
^Agreed.^

Also The Twenty Palaces novels and Battletech(those are in rough shape now so I don't touch them often)

doorofnight

Jul 9, 2011
LiberalSquirrel said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LiberalSquirrel said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LiberalSquirrel said:

As well as the two listed above, I'll say Bram Stoker's Dracula- I read this so much in high school that the cover fell off. And The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, because I adore any and all of Poe's writings (I've got three different copies of his complete works, so one is bound to be with me no matter where I am). And quite a few more, of course. Shakespeare's Hamlet. Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. And, last but not least, Plato's Symposium.

...And a lot of others that I'm forgetting at the moment. Thus are the dangers of asking such a question of an English major.
I love Poe, I read him religiously in Junior High, and occasionally still do. I have a really nice leather bound Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe as a graduation present, but I'm afraid to touch it since it's really nice and I don't want to ruin it.

I have the same problem, actually- my really nice leather bound Edgar Allan Poe collection sits on my shelf, looking pretty and shiny and collecting dust, while my two slightly-less-nice versions get travel-worn. I adore books, but I'm always scared to touch the really nice looking ones.

The first person, though? Really? Huh. I really enjoy all of Plato's dialogues. Symposium is just the first one I read, and the one I've reread the most times, so it's the one most applicable to this thread.
Yeah, mine sits right next to the Shakespeare collection, a perfect haven for dust bunnies. Meanwhile, my other Poe and Shakespeare books look like a dog tried to eat them. Sad really.

That you are, no one I personally know reads the same things I do and I get blank looks when I mention what I'm reading.
You have a Shakespeare collection? I'm jealous. I've got most all of his individual works, but I'm severely lacking in the "pretty collected works" version.

Oh, I know the "blank look" reaction quite well. Example of a typical conversation: "Oh, what are you reading?" "A collection of Aristophanes's comedies." "-blank stare-"
Check used bookstores, since they often get overstock of things, I found a Complete Works of William Shakespeare, very nicely printed and bound with a case and something like 750 color illustrations for $25 at a Half-Price Books. Keep checking and I am sure you'll get similarly lucky.

At least you are telling the person how to correctly pronounce the name, I have found that people have such trouble trying to work out the names of Greek Playwrights if they just see them printed.

steampunk42

Nov 18, 2009
the circle trilogy by Ted Dekker. picked it up out of curiosity and loved it. the books are Red, Black, and White. (those are the names...by the way)

doorofnight

Jul 9, 2011
Duruznik said:
Anything by Terry Pratchett. Well, a lot of his books. Specifically anything in the Night Watch series or his Bromerlaid Trilogy.
I agree, I think the Night's Watch series are his best, at least in terms of drama(the Death and Witch's series are, I think, funnier on the whole) with Night Watch in particularly I think being, dramatically at least, the best in the series and that series has quite an array of well rounded characters, particularly Vimes, Carrot, and Vetinari getting particular mention for their complex characterization.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Fight Club

Can't really think of any other books I've actually wanted to reread. Yeah, I'll look at my shelf and think "Hey, haven't read that in a while," but I'll actually think about reading Fight Club again.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Jaso11111 said:
You know that book you just keep guming back. That book that just hits the spot for you.
It dosent have to be just one book, it can be a series if you want.
For me its the Artemys Faoul series (yes thats not how you write it) from Ouen Kolfer! Its just something about elfs with jetpacks and laser guns that just does it for me ;)
I agree with you 100%. love them.
that, and the Demonata books by Darren Shan.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
WALDEN TWO by Burrhus Frederic Skinner.
It makes so much sense to me and I agree with almost all points made in it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
LiberalSquirrel said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LiberalSquirrel said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LiberalSquirrel said:

Those are the only two collections I have at the moment. The only reason I have the Shakespeare collection is my mom took pity on the condition of my other books and got it for me, and I'm too scared to touch it without ruining it. Funny you should mention Aristophanes, I saw a collection of his a few days ago and I plan on getting it.

It's either that or I have to try to explain who the author is, and I'd much rather have the blank stare. My luck would be after I explain who Aristophanes is I would get some pot shot at my social life and how I should read something light hearted, like, no joke, Eat. Pray. Love..

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.
no other book i've read has hooked me like that, it's literally become my bible. my friends are always joking me cause i quote passages like nobodies business.