What is your "That Book"?

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
Chuck Palahniuk's Lullaby is my "that book." I re-read it often and lend it out all the time. It's always my first recommendation.

Brainpalm

Apr 17, 2010
"John Dies At The End" by David Wong. and "The Machine of Death" which is a collection of awesome short stories set in a world in which everyone knows how they will die, due to a machine that is never wrong. Irony, hilarity and beautiful gripping stories ensue. They can both be found on amazon, and they both have their own sites.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
World War Z.

And assuming you aren't just limiting this to novels, Show Me How.

And assuming you have a sense of humor, The Phone Book.

HusaneFatal

Mar 19, 2008
nklshaz said:
DJDarque said:
The Dresden Files. I could read them all day, every day. ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.
This. It's a shame that the TV show wasn't very good, but the books are fantastic!
I think the show should be reimagined and put on like Showtime or HBO, like the treatment Game of Thrones is getting. It should do quite well if they could keep the feel from the books (though I didn't see the version on SyFy channel but I'm assuming it couldn't be as adult themed or as violent as the books can be at times)... and a few sex scenes with White Court vampires every now and then for good measure, I'm sure that'd draw more people in. (I know this cuz I mentioned the White Court vampires to several friends who had never heard of the series and they immediately became interested *they are 24+ years of age so don't say that's because they are teenagers*)

t3h br0th3r

May 7, 2009
Jaso11111 said:
You know that book you just keep guming back. That book that just hits the spot for you.
It dosent have to be just one book, it can be a series if you want.
For me its the Artemys Faoul series (yes thats not how you write it) from Ouen Kolfer! Its just something about elfs with jetpacks and laser guns that just does it for me ;)
Artemis does it for me too. There is just something about Artemis's genius that makes him great to read.

I also really like Fool by Christopher Moore. What this man did was take King Lear, tweak the storyline a tad, and turn it into one of the funniest things I have ever read.

also i totaly understand the whole 'English class ruined it' thing.

As an English major, my classes ruined the ending of Beloved, the middle of Go Tell it On the Mountain, and all of Beowulf because i procrastinated and had to read the whole thing in two days.

Bonemeal

Mar 12, 2008
Phantom Tollbooth. It might be a kids' book, but I will be damned if it isn't the greatest kids' book.

Kristina.K.

Jul 12, 2011
It may have only been published recently, however it is the one book which I continuously pick up...
Curtains by Tom Jokinen. It is the autobiography of a Canadian (Manitoban) mortician. It is by far the best biography I have read.
Other than that, I have to mention V for Vendetta and the Hellsing manga series.

Out of my shelves upon shelves of books, those are definitely my top picks.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
"The Night's Dawn" Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton.

Some pretty 'thick' stuff, but it's well written and has layers and layers to the characters, stories, and locations.

Akukaishi

Dec 19, 2009
DJDarque said:

Seconded. I reread the entire series at least once every few weeks. Butcher weaves one hell of a tale.

AmosMoses

Mar 27, 2011
The Man In The High Castle by Phillip K Dick.

It might be due another read soon... Who did I lend it to?

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Scarecrow 8 said:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's just a perfect book in my mind. It's funny, scary, sad and thought provoking. By the Great Magnet, it will also be MY book.
Well done. Another reason I liked that book was that it was fairly easy to read, and thus get into. It always irritates me how at school we study American authors such as Poe and Chandler, but not Thompson, who IMO could help today's generation get an accurate depiction of American life in the 60's.
*sigh* such a good book.....

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
HusaneFatal said:
nklshaz said:
DJDarque said:
This. It's a shame that the TV show wasn't very good, but the books are fantastic!
I think the show should be reimagined and put on like Showtime or HBO, like the treatment Game of Thrones is getting. It should do quite well if they could keep the feel from the books (though I didn't see the version on SyFy channel but I'm assuming it couldn't be as adult themed or as violent as the books can be at times)... and a few sex scenes with White Court vampires every now and then for good measure, I'm sure that'd draw more people in. (I know this cuz I mentioned the White Court vampires to several friends who had never heard of the series and they immediately became interested *they are 24+ years of age so don't say that's because they are teenagers*)
That sounds like a good idea, but only if they can get it right. I'm curious to see how a re-imagining of the show would go, but I'm just afraid that the show wouldn't be able to match the books, or manage to pull off some of the edgier stuff. (Especially the high amounts of sexuality in the early books. Some of it felt unnecessary, but I still think that if a TV show is going to be based on a book, then it has to meet the material head-on.) Despite my concerns, ultimately I would like to see the show re-imagined. But I don't think the series is mainstream enough to picked up as a TV show,(Which is a shame, because the Dresden Files are better than anything that is currently mainstream.) especially after the failure of the first TV series. It really should be re-imagined, but I don't think it's safe enough for a network to pick it up :( So fuck you Television, and your big mainstream consuming mouth!

Akukaishi

Dec 19, 2009
nklshaz said:
HusaneFatal said:
nklshaz said:
DJDarque said:
That sounds like a good idea, but only if they can get it right. I'm curious to see how a re-imagining of the show would go, but I'm just afraid that the show wouldn't be able to match the books, or manage to pull off some of the edgier stuff. (Especially the high amounts of sexuality in the early books. Some of it felt unnecessary, but I still think that if a TV show is going to be based on a book, then it has to meet the material head-on.) Despite my concerns, ultimately I would like to see the show re-imagined. But I don't think the series is mainstream enough to picked up as a TV show,(Which is a shame, because the Dresden Files are better than anything that is currently mainstream.) especially after the failure of the first TV series. It really should be re-imagined, but I don't think it's safe enough for a network to pick it up :( So fuck you Television, and your big mainstream consuming mouth!

To those curious about the future of the Dresden Files in cinema, know this. In two years, Butcher gets the rights back, and he has hinted that he has big plans for them. Big. Plans.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Goldeneye103X2 said:
Scarecrow 8 said:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's just a perfect book in my mind. It's funny, scary, sad and thought provoking. By the Great Magnet, it will also be MY book.
Well done. Another reason I liked that book was that it was fairly easy to read, and thus get into. It always irritates me how at school we study American authors such as Poe and Chandler, but not Thompson, who IMO could help today's generation get an accurate depiction of American life in the 60's.
*sigh* such a good book.....
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive..." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

How could anybody not love this book? It's just amazing.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
Akukaishi said:
nklshaz said:
HusaneFatal said:
nklshaz said:
DJDarque said:

To those curious about the future of the Dresden Files in cinema, know this. In two years, Butcher gets the rights back, and he has hinted that he has big plans for them. Big. Plans.
Hell yes! Wait, 2 years? That's in 2013. One year after 2012 . . . Damn it Mayans! ;P

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Yay I'm not the only one, and I totally agree with getting past that point.

Also, Magician is sitting on my stack of books I've been meaning to read, I've heard it's really good.
Yep, Magician is IMO a very well written book. In a way it does read like lCdMC (writing style is not as archaic, but it runs through the whole gamut of drama, tragedy, action, thrills except in a high fantasy setting, instead of... high revenge(!)). What's more, and some would hang me for it, is that I thought it much more enjoyable a read than LotR...