What is your "That Book"?

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I'm going to be boring and say "Harry Potter" because that series pretty much defined my childhood. I got the fist one when I was 9 and they also managed to grow up with me. The final one being released in my last year of high school.

So yeah, was swell.

Haagrum

May 3, 2010
"Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett.

"Dragons of Winter Night" gets an honourable mention (IMHO, it's the "Empire" of the Dragonlance novels).

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
If it was one book, I'd go with Memoirs of A Master Forger by William Heaney. Changed my life it did.

If I could add a series or two then the X-Wing Series by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston, Chronicles of Pern By Anne McCaffery, Discworld obviously, Gaunt's Ghosts by Dan Abnett and the Honor Harrington Books by David Weber.

Yeah....

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
3 Series share the first place;

- Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles.
- Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.
- Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, specifically the Death and Watch ones.

Every single book in those series do exactly what I want and expect them to do, and I adore every single one of them. I can barely think up a serious critique for them, I could keep reading them. Of course I won't, because there are just too many new books to read.

Don't get me wrong though, I adore a lot of other books as well, but they usually have something, even if it's tiny, that doesn't fall into place with me. Not so with those 3.
DJDarque said:
The Dresden Files. I could read them all day, every day. ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.
Worst thing is knowing that the 14th book doesn't even have a release date yet. *deep sigh* I ripped through Ghost Story so friggin' quickly. The ending was brilliant, but oh so painful.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Astonishing book. Every time.
Read really good things about that. Should get it someday. Then again I just started The Wheel of Time series, that'll take some time.

Rockus

Jun 7, 2010
Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan. Fantastic novel about nothing in particular . . .also salt shakers.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Twilight, arh just kidding, The Way of Shadows is my favourite book, the first in the Night Angel series.

Also it's written as Artemis Fowl, love that series too.

GoldenFish

Jun 10, 2011
I haven't read all the posts (7 PAGES!) so I don't know if anyone has said this

"Children of Húrin" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Non-Fiction: "The Code Book" by simon singh.
Fiction: Either "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley or "Millennium People" by J.G Ballard.

LiraelG

Jun 22, 2011
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. That man is a genius! :) This series captured my imagination when I was young and consequently achieved a special place in my heart.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card are probably the two books I keep coming back to the most!
I read them as a teen and they've been very influential to what I was going through at the time.
Now when I read them I realize they have problems and plot irregularities but I still love them for their brilliant characters :)
I definitely recommend the Ender saga to anyone who hasn't read them.

Jaso11111

Sep 22, 2010
HeroKing89 said:
Jaso11111 said:
You know that book you just keep guming back. That book that just hits the spot for you.
It dosent have to be just one book, it can be a series if you want.
For me its the Artemys Faoul series (yes thats not how you write it) from Ouen Kolfer! Its just something about elfs with jetpacks and laser guns that just does it for me ;)
O___O me too! I can't remember how many times i've read that book. But you said it so i feel obligated to pick another one. Let's go with The Golden Compass//The Northern Lights
I just finist reading the Golden Compass, and it was great, but i cant find the second one aneware :(

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Cannot Remember the exact book name, but it was by David Gemmel, and it was based on 4 war-vets past their prime.

The most memorable quote (maybe misquoted slightly)
"Remember Im an Angel, i can fly"

Really powerful book

(ok so that quote aint the best one but if it's in context it's a lot better :D )

Vidi Kitty

Feb 20, 2010
Jaso11111 said:
You know that book you just keep guming back. That book that just hits the spot for you.
It dosent have to be just one book, it can be a series if you want.
For me its the Artemys Faoul series (yes thats not how you write it) from Ouen Kolfer! Its just something about elfs with jetpacks and laser guns that just does it for me ;)
I see the title, click with interest, and have a sudden wave of the best nostalgia when I read Artemis Fowl. Amazing books, though I have only read the first 2. Thank you very much for reminding me of this series, off to buy the next few first thing tomorrow.

In return, you should check out His Majesties Dragon by Naomi Novik. Basic rundown:England during the Napoleonic Wars... with fucking dragons. Its totally played straight, the dragons are intelligent and their own characters, the action bits are tense and exhilarating, and I just love these books.