What is your Top 10 Games of all time?

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
I love topics like this. XD

1. Final Fantasy VI (GBA Version) - I consider it the best turn-based RPG ever made. The world, story, and characters are some of the best developed in general. The GBA version gets props for having a better translation than the older ones, and having extra things to do.

2. Persona 4 Golden (Vita) - I love Persona 4... All of it... I probably replayed this game six times, plugging in over 400 hours total between the Vita version and PS2 version. Golden gets props for being the more definitive version.

3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) - I consider this the best MGS game. The game mechanics were well refined, and the story with Big Boss and The Boss was great.

4. Portal (Multi) - GLaDOS.

5. Super Mario 64 (N64) - The quintessential platformer.

6. Final Fantasy IX (PS) - Between VI and IX, you can't go wrong. Just like VI, it has fantastic characters and a fantastic story. A well done game that isn't as overly complicated as some other games in the series.

7. Metal Gear Solid (PS1) - If it wasn't for the archaic gameplay which didn't age real well, I would have put it higher than MGS3.

8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - The first video game I ever played. Still think it is the best Sonic game to this day.

9. Day of the Tentacle (PC) - The most hilarious point and click adventure game Tim Schafer ever made. Purple Tentacle!

10. Folklore (PS3) - This game is tops of my most underrated games. The gameplay is not only fun, a mix of Pokemon and Zelda, but the mystery story involved was pretty engrossing. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and loved the lore presented. It was my first PS3 game, and it didn't disappoint.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
These aren't in any particular order (except Chrono Trigger):

Chrono Trigger
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
The Binding of Isaac
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2
Bayonetta (damn I need a Wii U to play 2...)
Rez
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Mass Effect 1

If anyone has similar taste or wants to know why I'll gladly share my reasoning, but this isn't my first top 10 on here : )

PacDwell

May 16, 2009
I'm gonna try listing my top games by genre - I hate it when lists contain sequels to sequels in different slots.

RPG:
Baldur's Gate 2

Adventure:
Grim Fandango

FPS:
Unreal Tournament 2k

Driving:
Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit

Sports Sim:
Football Manager 2008

Space Sim:
X3 - Terran Conflict

Flight Sim:
Wings

Strategy:
Crusader Kings 2

Action Adventure:
The Witcher 2

Fighting:
Panza Kick Boxing

Movie tie-in:
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Stealth:
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Yeah I think that's diverse enough ;)

TP Potato

May 8, 2015
I know I'll remember a different one as soon as I post this, but there we go. These are not ranked in any order.

Jade Empire
Bioshock
Fallout: New Vegas
Advent Rising
Doom 3
The Orange Box
Mass Effect 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Spec Ops: The Line
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There are some games that are always in my top 10 that I can't always quite put into order...Anyway, here are a few games that I absolutely love:

Final Fantasy VI (it's incredibly difficult for me to pick one favorite FF, it's mostly VI though)
Pokemon Soul Silver
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Duke Nukem 3D/64
JUMP Ultimate Stars
Super Metroid
Theatrhtythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
Mega Man X Collection (specifically X2)
Wolfenstein: The New One

honorable mentions include;

every other main-line Final Fantasy that isn't an MMO, I, III, XIII, a sequel or a spin-off.
Shadow Warrior
Far Cry 3
literally any other Pokemon RPG
Any other Legend of Zelda that doesn't have a control gimmick (not counting Oracles which I haven't played)
Power Stone 1 & 2
Soul Edge & Calibur

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
snekadid said:
I wont try to order them because I love them all for different reasons, which I will in fact mention.

The 2 that came out last year( the shining beacon of glory in the sludge of pure shit that was last year) are:

Transistor-Amazing music, still listening to it. Great combat, perfect story. My only complaint is that the challenge mode bosses read your inputs and thats cheating, rest of the game is perfect though.

South Park The Stick of Truth: It is the perfect transition from the show into a game. I cannot recommend it enough if the game trying its best to offend you sounds like a great time. O god so many perfect moments that I wish I could mention but it would spoil the game so I wont.

Killing Floor: It's what evolve wishes it could of done. It's JUST a horde mode... but the game feels so good that years later its player base numbers mock evolves. It's gory and beautiful and the guns feel great.

Super Mario RPG: If you have to ask, you're a horrible person. Top notch RPG, with brilliant music and combat, the plots hilarious and the only gripe is that its too easy, but well worth playing regardless.

Tactics Ogre Let us Cling together: You like Final Fantasy Tactics? This is FFT only better polished. If you have a PSP or a VITA, buy it NOW. If not, buy a vita damn you! Its a better handheld than the 3DS :p.

The Secret World: A Greatly under appreciated MMO. There are no "classes". You make your own build from over 100 skills that you pick and choose. Theres also no levels. Then theres the absolutely amazing story and incredibly difficult research missions. They also have the best B2P model in the MMO genre.

Jade Empire: Back when Bioware was good. Like Kotor? This is an epic Martial Arts game in the same vein as KOTOR, only it works way better, is way deeper and has an amazing combat and story system. It's on steam right now, get it!

Saints row(series): I just can't pick one, I'm so sorry. They're all great and everytime I play them I'm screaming and laughing at how badass it is.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: Buy it, install it, install the unofficial patch, profit. An amazingly deep RPG with great characters, sweet music and where you get to play the monster.

Fallout 3: Such a great game, pure exploration fun. Sneaking through tunnels, sniping mutants, talking to tree, find lost lore. So great.
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was one hell of an RPG, try the console command money 1.2 big boobs are made bigger haha, it was a very good game.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
In no particular order(except for the last one, of course), I have a few here that I would like to quickly sum up:

Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim: A fighting game that manages to take every single standard that fighting games have set and shatter them like fragile glass. The first true 3D fighting game with a diverse cast of fun characters, all of whom play drastically different. There is a reason why this is the only game that I have that I've clocked in over 150 hours.

BioShock: The only horror game that I can sit through based on atmosphere alone. The setting is phenomenal, the gameplay is satisfying, the small amount of characters are well-crafted, and it houses one of the most memorable moments in gaming history. Seriously.

Kingdom Hearts II: I don't know why I love this game so much. I really don't. It's good. Not great, only good. But I love it all the same. Maybe because it's one of the few pleasant childhood memories that I have. Hm. Weird.

Bastion: One of the greatest soundtracks in gaming accompanied by a game that exemplifies how one tells a story through gameplay. The scene with Zulf was powerful stuff. Seriously.

Finally...

Borderlands 2: Obviously. I never shut up about this game. The gameplay is satisfying enough to warrant a purchase from me. But never would I have expected to find such solid writing as well. It's the only game in the market that has an over the top setting, with over the top characters and all of their eccentricities intact and on full display, and actually explores why they're so damaged. Why they are broken. It's so god damn well written and well designed.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Honorable Mentions: Ninja Gaiden 2, God of War 1&2, Skyrim (Especially with mods), The Walking Dead
All of these games exhibit qualities found in my top ten, but to a lesser extent. Ninja Gaiden is great fun, but often far too punishing. God of War 1&2 have a top ten game between them; the tragedy of the first and the scale of the second. Skyrim is probably the most time I've ever spent on a game, but it's setting is... well, just as rich, if not more so, than Fallout's, but it doesn't present itself quite as well. Walking Dead is fantastic; I'd probably stick it right at number 11 if I could.

10: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Hands down my favorite Zelda game. I don't think another game has ever rekindled that childish sense of adventure quite as much.

9: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Falls short of it's older sibling with it's story, but while it's not as emotionally engaging, the atmosphere is every bit as mystical, just in a different way. Where it really scores points is in it's improvements to combat. It is dark; it is brutal; it is glorious.

8: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
The first game to ever make me genuinely emotionally involved with what I was doing. The bond between the characters in the backdrop of Arabian myth is palpable. It almost feels like a storybook come to life.

7: Grand Theft Auto IV
GTA 4 is not a very good GTA game, but it's a brilliant character study, a cutting piece of cultural satire, and an immersive open world. Nico remains one of my favorite protagonists of all time. A man who is undeniably sinister, but with a heart of gold burried somewhere deep; perhaps so deep that it's presence doesn't make a difference. He is perhaps the best man he can be in the world he lives in, and therein lays the real tragedy.

6: Fallout 3
There was not an inch of Fallout I wasn't eager to explore. It felt something like a more focused rendition of The Elder Scrolls. The smaller cast means more attention is paid to those that remain, and the end result is a collection of vignettes and fables in game form. An elaborate portrait of human nature itself, in the form of an interactive landscape. (Note: I have yet to spend a satisfactory amount of time with New Vegas, which I hear is superior, so this placement may change)

5: Red Dead Redemption
You have probably noticed a trend among these open world games. I like it when an open world takes the form of an elaborate meditation, and that's exactly what Red Dead does. The setting is both the historical period, and the genre, of the old west, and all that it represents. Red Dead offers both the satire (Of a distinctly darker shade) and immersion of GTA 4, but it also offers deeply rewarding gunplay and a more interactive setting. The key difference between two is that in GTA, I would often go on rampages just for fun, but in Red Dead, I found myself deeply uncomfortable with the idea. There are two reasons for this.

A: Red Dead Redemption is one of the most believable games I've ever seen. Not only is the gunplay itself invested with considerable weight, the environment is a float with constant activity. I lost count of the number of times I heard gunfire in the distance and ran to find a dead body, or was lead into a trap by strangers, or interfered with an act of abuse. The sum total of all this was a deep understanding of the nature of the world, and a sense of self and place within it. When I took an innocent life in Red Dead, I felt like I was adding more suffering to a world that already had too much of it. I wasn't just told of the injustice, I experienced it first hand.

B: The story of John Marston. Unlike Nico, John is sympathetic through and through. One of my favorite parts of the game is near the end, when it devotes a significant portion of time to John just... spending time with his family. It was an endearing experience that was preceded by personal and cultural tragedy. The figures John comes across in Red Dead have not a shred of the GTA playfulness; they are sobering depictions of human nature. Some virtuous. Some not. But each of them is punctuated by an overarching cloud of tragedy. How noble can one really be in a dying world? This is punctuated most of all in the games ending, which stands as one of the most powerful, poignant pronunciations of a story I have yet to see.
(Pro tip: I'm not talking about when John dies, but when his son takes up his gun, and the cycle begins anew)
4: Mass Effect Trilogy
I cried. Deeply. Several times. I will list quotes.
"Does this unit have a soul?"
"Meet you across the sea"
"You did good, son, you did good. I'm... proud of you"

I am not a sentimental person, so it is all the more impressive when any work of fiction reduces me to a weeping mess. Mass Effect 3 is my favorite of the trilogy, but the other two games are necessary to get the full effect (I'm so sorry you had to hear that, I swear it was an accident) so this is a package deal.

Mass Effect is a classic story of brotherhood, sacrifice, love, loss, and victory. It follows in the tradition of works like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars; a broad, uplifting, operatic drama in celebration of the very best there is of humanity set against a backdrop of otherworldly wonders. Mass Effect 3 affected me the most deeply, but Mass Effect 2 should be honored for it's fantastic characterization. Mordin Solus, the unconventional tragic hero. Samera, a disquieting example of the places that honor and guilt intersect. The list goes on. The second chapter is crucial for exploring the themes of the series.

Where I disagree with many people is that Mass Effect 2&3 are lesser RPG's. This assumption only holds true for the superficial aspects of the genre. The opportunity for depth in character builds is no lesser in these games than the first, people just can't seem to accept the idea that an RPG can, and should be, enjoyable to actually play in the moment as opposed to enjoyable only from a tactical perspective. It really does seem like people recognize RPG's by what they usually do wrong, as opposed to what they do well.

The fact that Mass Effect 3 is responsive and visceral, cuts the padding and fluff out of it's leveling system, and has 25 or so weapons that all feel and function differently, as opposed to 800 weapons that are all basically the same 5 weapons with a palate swap, make the game BETTER, not worse.

But Mass Effect 3 doesn't just improve by trimming the fat from the other games, oh no. Mass Effect 3 may be the most ingenious tactical RPG combat system I have ever seen. Let me break down the math.

Each class has a total of 7 abilities available to them, 6 granted by the class and another they can select freely from a list of 10 or so. Each ability has 6 levels, the last three of which all have two separate evolutions. So from level 4 onward, you can choose between things like "Ability lasts longer" or "Ability does more damage", and some abilities even have exotic options, like "Next ability has no cooldown". So, that's a total of 8 variations PER POWER. And you have 7. The abilities can also interact with each other, and your passive abilities can have an effect on your entire set. And all of this is accomplished without any class feeling less interesting or powerful...

It's fucking brilliant! You can have a great time just experimenting with all the different possible combinations. It's like you're playing Magic the Gathering, except you get to actually watch your crazy thirty-seven card combo go off in real time.

But the most brilliant part of gameplay in Mass Effect is it's interactive narrative. The damn thing takes so many shortcuts, but it's such a powerful idea that it still manages to rip out our heart and stomp on it with complete justification for every driven in heel.

Between it's sweeping, powerful narrative, gut wrenching moral dilemmas and deep tactical gameplay, Mass Effect 3 could have been even higher on the list... were it not for The Unholy Ending. The Extended Cut makes it... tolerable, but there are still a host of problems that rob the trilogy from a proper conclusion. But it's a tour de force, none the less.

3: Dragon Age: Origins
Origins and Persona 4 are together because they share a fundamental form of engagement; friendship. The cast of Origins are some of the most well drawn and endearing figures in gaming, a fact I was made all the more aware of when I played Dragon Age II and found that what frustrated me the most was that... I missed them. Origins reminds me of many Joss Whedon works for this reason; it's a polished exorcise in genre reconstruction by way of fantastic characterization.

The premise is typical of fantasy, but Origins is masterful in it's nuance. The plot becomes more than the sum of it's parts when all the backstory, unique character motivations, cultural tension, and your personal investment interact. The dramatic question of the piece is not weather or not you will stop the Darkspawn, because you know that you almost certainly will. The question is will you manage to make a better future for yourself and your friends, and that question is largely up to you.

Origins does what no other Bioware game has managed to do thus far; it plays almost exclusively to their strengths and avoids all of their weaknesses.

2: Persona 4
As I finished Persona 4, I was treated to a very upbeat ending, but I was unmistakably sad. I was sad because the people who I had gotten to know almost like they were my real friends were gone.

Persona 4 is fucking strange; it's a game about teenagers who jump into televisions to play a deadly, Freudian version of Pokemon with evil versions of themselves. It stars a mute, a teddy bear, a pop star, and a giant penis monster (I am not kidding).

So that makes even more strange that it's chief ingredient is realism. How, you say? Well, because real life is never normal. The characters in Persona 4 are the core of the experience, and the game makes a very intelligent decision by structuring the narrative around them. Each new chapter is an opportunity to delve into their complex psyches. They become so engaging that the rest of the game is basically a dating simulator where you read text, listen the voice work for the important stuff, and make some surprisingly good, if minimal, dialogue choices.

And I love it. Even if Persona 4 was a boring chore to play, the characters would make it worthwhile. The fact that it's a fun, crazy Pokemon with mythical creatures is really just icing on the cake.

1: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (Restored Content Mod)
Earlier, I said very few pieces of art can get a raise out of me. KOTOR II occupies an even shorter list; it's one the only things that has ever changed what I believe.

Where do I begin with this tragic masterpiece? It elevates the Star Wars mythos to new heights and violently deconstructs it, but more importantly, it deconstructs the ideas it represents. It's like an inverse reflection of the whole setting. Star Wars is all about the struggle between good and evil, KOTOR II is mired not only in moral ambiguity but sometimes outright moral nihilism. Star Wars is a sweeping adventure in the classical tradition, KOTOR II is a brooding philosophical meditation.

KOTOR II has the most thematically cohesive and rich story I have ever seen in gaming, and perhaps ever. It's surface themes of war, amoral redemption, betrayal, and obsession are really just the surface. KOTOR II is a game that is masterful in it's use of metaphor. It redefines what it means to feel the Force, and imbues it with palpable context. It is not merely a supernatural entity; it's an elaborate analogy for every form power can take, that digs deep and examines what that word really means.

Never has the phrase "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force" felt so true, and it is not because the Force can destroy a planet (Thought it can), it is because feeling the Force is perceiving the true nature of reality itself; because the human heart is a deadlier instrument than any deathstar; because betrayal can cut deeper than any lightsaber; because those who feel the Force do not fight for land, wealth, or prosperity, but for the very soul of the galaxy, and that war is fought within, in the dark.

It is such a quiet thing, to fall.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
1. Quake Wars Enemy Territory.
2. World of Warcraft.
3. Half Life 2.
4. Portal 2.
5. GTA - currently III but could be V when I get it on PC; didn't care much for IV).
6. Crysis.
7. Dues Ex: HR.
8. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
9. Command and Conquer: Red Alert.
10. Assassin's Creed II.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess / Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask / Wind Waker
3. Shadow of the Colossus
4. The Last of Us
5. Beyond Good and Evil
6. Mother 3
7. Psychonauts
8. L.A. Noire
9. Red Dead Redemption
10. Okami

Honourable mentions: Smash Bros (series), Grim Fandango, Brutal Legend

beyondbrainmatter

Dec 7, 2010
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13
Baldurs Gate 2
Planescape Torment
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Dodonpachi
ESPGaluda
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
Bomberman 5
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI
Okami
Capcom vs SNK 2
Firepro Wrestling
Street Fighter Alpha 3, Steet Fighter 4
Last Blade 2
King of Fighters 98, 2002
Twinkle Star Sprites
Magical Drop 3
Simcity 4 Rush Hour
Romancing SaGa 3

Selucia

Feb 27, 2015
1)World of Warcraft
2)Warcraft 3
3)Rome Total War
4)Cossacks the art of war
5)Kotor 2
6)Dragons age Origins
7)Mass Effect 1
8)Gauntlet Legends
9)Spyro
10)Star wars battle front 2

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Been some months since the last one I did. I should probably compare the lists I come up with.

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. XCOM Enemy Unknown
3. Fallout: New vegas
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Galactic Civilizations 2
6. Crusader Kings 2
7. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
8. Victoria: Revolutions
9. Europa Universalis III
10. Alpha Protocol

Honorable Mentions

Just Cause 2, Batman: Arkham City, Fate of the World, FTL Faster than Light, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Somekindofgold

Feb 24, 2015
After much careful consideration I have come up with my list.

10:Darksiders 2: what can I say, I like the world, I like the gameplay and I like Death. Its a shame we'll never see Darksiders 3 though.

9:Luigi's Mansion: First gamecube game I owned and my favorite released on the platform, the ghosts were all interesting and unique while Luigi finally got to star.

8: The Wario Land/ World games: I cannot put these in an order so the entire series gets lumped in. Wario is the best Mario related character Nintendo has made, he's actually got character unlike that patsy Mario. He's unashamedly greedy and god damn it I love a guy who piledrives monsters. A shame Wario World was so short.

7:Bastion: Great music, fun combat and a story told through actual gameplay and what 'cutscenes' are used (I hesitate to call still artwork cutscenes but whatever) are used sparingly. Dueling Pistols+ Scrap Musket for life.

6:Chronicles of Riddick (Escape from Butcher Bay): I love Riddick, even though the Chronicles of Riddick and the new movie failed to live up to the quality of Pitch Black they still hold a special place in my heart. So you wouldnt be surprised that Butcher Bay is in the list. Great stealth and great action.

5: Bloodborne: Dark Souls never grabbed me as a game, I was never a big fan of medieval stuff, but I always had a respect for it so when I heard we were getting 'Dark Souls: Van Helsing editing' I decided to give it a shot, and I was blown away. The fact the developers kept the gradual story changes a secret like they did in this age of internet leaks is still amazing to me. It may be a bit too early to put it up so high in the list but god damn I love it, I really do. The lore, the atmosphere, the combat, its all great.

4: Deus Ex series: This had to be in the list. After IW disappointed me I was afraid we'd never see another Deus Ex again, much less a good one, and then HR comes out and sets all of my expectations on fire. The conscpiracy driven story of paranoia and human augmentation really tickled me in the right spots.

3:Sly 2: Sly 1 had yet to find its niche and Sly 3 was an overstuffed, unfocused mess, but Sly 2 was perfect. Satisfying stealth, interesting locations and characters, actual thieving, collectibles and loot out the ass and a heart wrenching conclusion that actually had consequences for future games. The crippling of Bentley was the first time I had cried because of a video game.

2:prince of Persia series: Overall I think I liked Warrior Within the most due to the fun as fuck combat even if the edge made me wince, but the series each had their own strengths and weaknesses compared to each other. Luckily even Two Thrones drop in quality didnt stop me from loving the fuck out of it. The agility focused combat was my jam for a long time and ancient persia is a fantastic setting.

1:Sea Dogs: Ah Sea Dogs, a title I picked up from the EB Games Bargain Bin for 5 bucks, and I proceeded to play for almost 3 years. This shit was addictive and I still have the disc sitting next to my PC if I ever get the desire to play it again. Its not the best, and its not the most acclaimed, but god damn it if I dont love Sea Dogs from its piss poor graphics to its poor voice acting. Its a pirate game from when pirate games were about piracy, not ancient cursed treasures and..whatever the fuck Risen 3 was. Nothing but you, your fleet of motley murderers, the wide open ocean and fat merchants to pick off at your leisure. But fuck the mutiny system, pirates are the most impatient bastards in the world.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
1- Spec Ops: The Line
Why? Because a videogame genuinely made me feel like a bad person, it made me do things I didn't want to and feel bad because what of a bad, bad man I am. A game that makes me feel emotionally dead for the entire ending, is the best game ever.

2- Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Age Inquisition is shit, I hated it at first, I still hate so much of it. I have an army, why must I pick flowers? Why can my army only collect like 6 if I send them to do it? Where do I keep my horse!? But the wartable, throne of judgement and characters makes this game absolutely brilliant.

3- Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 2 is brilliant for reasons I think everybody knows.

4- Bioshock: The First One
Definitely my favourite shooter, even without the twist ending and morality nonsense this would be on the list, albeit a bit lower, but this game is truly, truly fantastic.

5- Halo Reach
I love Halo, this list could be mostly Halo games, but Halo Reach is definitely my favourite, I loved the story and the gameplay, plus it had one of the best 'last bits' of anything ever.

6- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
INNOVATION! Blops 2 has one of the best, coolest systems I've ever seen in a linear shooter, something that made it all that deeper and that was the fact that you can burn a man's face. But maybe you don't burn his face! Just depends if you can drive, and you feel like a bastard if you don't drive well cause now the actually likable buddy soldier has burnt face. But stuff like that all through the game, just little things that effect the game and integrate seamlessly, more games need that!

7- Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2 is rarely scary, although when it is, it's very scary (those velociraptor bastards). But when the game is being an action game, it's being a phenomenal action game, thanks to the camera always sticking so close to Isacc, even in cutscenes, flipping and tumbling in sync with him and the lack of any HUD makes a game genuinely cinematic, very intense and incredibly immersive.

8- The First 2 Thirds of Condemned 2
Wow, have you guys played The First Two Thirds of Condemned 2> It's great, and it has a melee combat system I would love to see in more games. In fact the game I've most wanted to be made for a year now is Condemned 3, with all the melee combat, much less guns and where they retcon all the cult and super saiyan stuff.

9- Dark Souls
I haven't finished Dark Souls, or Dark Souls 2, that's why they're so much lower on the list than they would be otherwise. Why haven't I finished them? I put over 100 hours into each and am maybe half way through both. I had things I couldn't put off any longer than I already had to fight that boss one more time!

10- Splinter Cell: Conviction
Why is this on my list? It isn't very good... I know it isn't very good but I've played through it 12 times... And I've always had other games to play!

(Honourable mentions to Far Cry 3 and 4, they were almost there!)

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
Hmm...my Top 10. Putting them into any kind of order is really difficult, I love them all for different reasons, and at different times. But the 10 are:

Skies Of Arcadia: Introduced me to the JRPG genre and I loved it. Thought the characters were well written (if cliche) and I loved the sense of adventure and exploration the game gave you.

Ocarina Of Time: The only game I have played where my expectations were astronomically high and it still exceeded them. I played it near when it came out and there really was nothing like it then. The day/night cycle, the large open field, the sense of place given to the game world. It felt alive. It's been surpassed since then but it really showed what a 3D game could be like.

Pokemon Gold: Pokemon Blue but even better. Expanded on everything without adding too much fluff. End game content was amazing too.

Final Fantasy 9: The first FF game I played and it's story and characters (apart from Quina - Fuck him/her!!) really griped me. I rushed through the game so I could see how it all panned out. Good gameplay too.

Banjo Kazooie: The best platformer on the N64. Great level designand interesting levels, great controls, really good graphics back in the day. Mario64 may have been the trailblazer, but this went beyond.

Knights of the Old Republic: Great characters set in the Star Wars universe. Couldn't ask for more.

Persona 4: Loved the combat - even after 100 hours, loved the characters and loved the mature storytelling. Shows just how good JRPGs can be.

Mass Effect: For all its flaws (Mako sections, shitty sidequests, sluggish combat) it's a game that becomes more than the sum of it's parts. Mostly thanks to the excellent characters and their voice actors that really bring the galaxy to life.

Mass Effect 2: Like Mass Effect, it still has flaws (terrible main story, boring planet scanning), but it also manages to rise above those flaws with great mission design, great characters, a more fleshed out galaxy (we get to see places like the Krogan homeworld etc) and a fantastic soundtrack. Combat was nice too.

Sonic 2: Never completed it in all my years of playing it. But me and my cousin must have spent hundreds of hours over the years trying to. Just a great platformer made even better when played with a friend.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
1 Morrowind
2 Dark Souls
3 Otogi
4 Crash Bandicoot: Warped
5 Majora's Mask
6 Fable
7 Ocarina of Time
8 Warcraft 3 (Story and custom games both)
9 Alter Beast or Ecco the Dolphin on Genesis
10 World of Warcraft

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Final Fantasy IX
Having a rather simple plot, it executes it perfectly; every character is reasonably well balanced and the story remains engaging the whole way through. The world is large, but full of stuff. Characters are memorable.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
The first game of Big Boss, it has the most freedom of any Metal Gear, and perhaps the best musical score of any Konami game. The gameplay is utterly different, playing up the predator aspect, and it is also fun. It has fun with Bond films, Rambo films, the whole lot. Remember fun? Snake Eater does.

Walking Dead Season 1
A story based choices game set in a zombie world where your choices matter, shit goes wrong and with the best example of a child character ever? It's something I have always wanted, always.

Mass Effect 2
With the deep roleplaying from Mass Effect 1 and the large universe from ME1, combined with the not-shit gameplay of ME2, and the ability to romance Tali and play Lair of the Shadow Broker, Mass Effect 2 was a bloody amazing game that was fun to fight in, and fun to talk in.

Bioshock
Walking through the dark dank areas of Rapture, Bioshock was the first game whose twist literally floored me. It turned an okay game into the masterpiece I understood it was. Utterly amazing. If you don't know the twist, go play it now before you figure it out. It isn't a long game, go play it.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
I must have sunk easily 500 hours into this game over my life. I love Warhammer 40k, and the chance to have played it with friends; I remember playing battles with my brother on my team, my dark red Marines weaving in and out of his Black Marines as the enemy attacked; I would always wait for the turning point of the battle and deep-strike Dreadnoughts and Terminators into the arse of the enemy and be the big-damn hero. Such good memeories, as well as the massive Ork Vs Ork grudge match with persistant bodies in the Valley of Khorne; we'd leave the ground utterly covered in dead Orks.

Rome: Total War
Back when Creative Assembly was still good, Rome Total War managed to be hugely complex yet stay simple, rather than the simplified clusterfuck that was it's successor. Massive sweeping battles, provinces that developed and an engine that allowed for clever gameplay to be rewarded; I will always remember the 300 men who defended a small pass in Spain from multiple Germanic attacks; thousands of Germans held off from 600 men who would ambush them as they came into through the main gate. Nothing but bravery and training as they threw spears, counter-charged, withdrew, counter-charged again and broke everyone who dared to attack. Toughest and most tense battles of my life.

Civilization 5
Just infinitely replayable. The more history and politics I learn, the better this game gets.

P.T.
The best horror game ever, it got me into horror in both games, films and books. And now it's gone forever. Fucking Konami.

This War of Mine
A survival game where your group must survive and build up a base while sneaking around looking for food or medicine while war wages all around. Presents moral choices to you while never asking you to pick between left or right.

TheHatPerson

Dec 29, 2009
I already made a video on this, where I talk about actually 20 of my most favorite games, but I guess I'll just relay the list over here:

10. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

9. Bastion

8. Darwinia

7. The Arcana Heart fighting games (All of them are very similar, so I just shoved them all into one spot)

6. Dragon Quest 8

5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

4. inFAMOUS

3. Fallout 3

2. Persona 4

1. The World Ends With You

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
It's been a while since I've done a top ten. I'll remember to include mmo's. There will without a doubt be none in my to 10, but I'll try. I know, my list reads like a lot of listicle "best ever" lists. But I've got a few unpopular opinions here.

10. Star Wars - I'm talking about the original. The vector graphics arcade cabinet. Prior to that, I had played... maybe Pong? But walking into a smoke filled arcade, Journey blasting in time to cheap lighting effects, surrounded by the bwongs bwonks and buzzes of all the other games, and hearing above all that the deep bass explosions and old Ben's disembodied voice saying, "The Force Will Be With You, Always." That... made me a gamer.

9. Perfect Dark - I'll say it... no one has made a better fps since. But I'm not much of an fps guy, so that's not saying much.

8. Ultima 7 - U7 20 years ago (or so,) is what the modern RPG has finally struggled it's way back to. A look at some of the most highly regarded RPG's on the lists so far, and I see several features that I saw first in U7 all those years ago.

7. Telltale's The Walking Dead - I'm just including both seasons here. I may never play this game a second time, but the first was such an amazing experience that it deserves to be on this list. TWD is the only fairly recent thing on the list, and before I played it, I didn't think ANYTHING could ever push Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes off the list.

6. Final Fantasy VIII - My favorite of the series, the first and really only one to seriously remove annoying grind from the series. It's story wasn't as good as 6, 7, or 9. But the lack of grind made it a better game.

5. TIE Fighter - Star wars is the only franchise with 2 entries. TIE Fighter deserves it.

4. The Legend of Zelda: OoT - A huge step forward in 3d, and proof that a change of perspective CAN keep the spirit of it's predecessors intact. Which leads us to...

3. Fallout 3 - Narrowly edges out New Vegas on the list. Really it's both as NV was just a very large, very good, expansion pack basically. Seriously great games.

2. Silent Hill 2 - Yes, it is that good.

1. Chrono Cross - Narrowly edges Trigger, but I just preferred Cross. Still has my favorite music in any game... ever.

Some very nearly in the top 10. Super Metroid, Icewind Dale, Wing Commander 3, Morrowind, Masters of Orion 2, Shadow of the Colossus. Still no mmo's? How about Neverwinter Nights. Nope, not that one. The original, based on SSI's Unlimited Adventures and only available on AOL. That was the best MMO I ever played.