What is your Top 10 Games of all time?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
mxfox408 said:
Well Ill keep it simple list your top 10 games and if you want to explain why. including MMO's
Okay, in terms of games that I:
A) Have replayed a bajillion times.
B) Still hold up well.
C) Were about the best thing I had ever seen when I first played them:

10) Baldur's Gate 2. Hasn't exactly aged that well but still probably the best Wrpg.

9) Painkiller. The disjointed levels and stupid story were the only put-offs, along with the stupid criteria required to earn cards.

8) Soul Calibur 3. Great characters, a really engaging single player mode and insanely good graphics for the Ps2.

7) One Must Fall 2097. Ancient fighting game that did things that no fighting game to date has managed. Add to this an insanely powerful modding community and you have probably the best fighting game of all time.

6) Unreal Tournament 2004. The one and only multiplayer shooter. This has never been equaled.

5) Batman: Arkham series. Together they are near perfection. The first game had a lot of limitations, but in terms of storyline and atmosphere...wow. City was the best overall but had an utterly awful story towards the end. Origins had great bosses and the second half of the game was nearly perfect, but the first half was such a slog.

4) Resident Evil 4. If the writing and final boss had been a little better, this would probably have been #1.

3) God of War 2. Nearly perfect action game. Brilliant bosses, awesome graphics, probably my most replayed single player game of all time.

2) Half Life. While it hasn't aged perfectly, this is still the shooter to beat.

1) Diablo 2. While Diablo 3 is finally starting to catch up in terms of item hunting, D2's amazing singleplayer campaign, timeless graphics and insanely awesome modding community make it nearly impossible to beat.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Oh this is going to be tough...

1. Shadow of the Colossus

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence

4. ICO

5. Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie (can't decide between the two)

6. Skullgirls

7. Katawa Shoujo

8. Psychonauts

9. Chrono Trigger

10. Valkyria Chronicles

exceeder616

May 13, 2015
10. Super Metroid
9.Ultima Online pre Renaissance
8.Shining Force
7.Final Fantasy Tactics
6.Phantasy Star 4
5.Baldur's Gate 2
4.Suikoden 2
3.Final Fantasy VI
2.Planescape: Torment
1.Xenogears

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I have done this kind of lists in the past, and I have noticed that it tends to change as I grow older and remember some games more than others, or when nostalgia takes over. Having said that my current list would be:

1. Half Life 2
2. Monkey Island
3. Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
4. Deus Ex
5. The Witcher (going with the first...because reasons)
6. Valkyria Chronicles
7. Heavenly Sword (don't judge me)
8. KOTOR
9. Quarantine (look it up)
10. Mount and Blade Warband.

I also would like to mention 2 games which are consuming a lot of my time lately... though I would't go as far a to put them in my top 10 list...yet:
Rocksmith 2014 (PC)
Destiny (PS4)

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Eliam_Dar said:
9. Quarantine (look it up)
I do not have to, Quarantine was awesome. If there was a list of "Top Ten Demos: Demos that were so good it was impossible to pass up paying for more" Quarantine would easily have been my #1. Like someone took Crazy Taxi and jammed Twisted Metal into it, making a game superior to either. (Also, I could have worded that differently, but didn't.)

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
You know I actually had a top 100 list going at one point? And I was having trouble trimming down to just 100? And that was with combining entire series into single entries? Like, all Ultima games as one entry, all Fallout games, etc.

Completely unwieldy.

Anyway I won't bother posting it here because ultimately the issue with these lists is that people never read or comment on what someone else has posted, they just post their own and close thread. I've often pondered ways to create a "top games" thread and actually force discussion in it, but I've never come up with anything that wasn't overly gamey.
I think the reason that there is very little discussion in a Top Ten thread is that it's all subjective. We like what we like. At best you can hope for discussions being around games that the other readers haven't heard of and are interested in, or spirited side conversations on their favorite parts of games that are on each other's lists. At worst, and far more likely, are folks being rude to each other about what is and is not on any given list. The comments section on any article/video giving top ten lists tend to be rather ugly. With that said is there any type of conversation you'd like to see about top ten lists? What would inspire you to join in on a discussion of them?

And without further ado here is my list of games based on the ones I remember playing the most.

10: Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare
Lots of things to do, an emotionally gripping story and I don't usually care about the story, and fun game play. The blending of the 20 and 19th centuries was superb and gave everything a sense of impermanence. Yet it had a potentially positive impermanence the likes of which I have not seen outside the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien or C.S. Lewis. Undead nightmare was a fun expansion that added a few more hours enjoyment.

9:Resistance Series
These are the reasons I got a PS3. You fight an unwinable war against monsters in a series of games whose plots don't quite fit together. Game one is a WWII game set against Russians instead of Germans and they're monsters. Game two feels like an 80's horror movie with a body snatcher's vibe. It's one of the only games I can think of where you cannot win and you're character dies at the end, and it's still awesome. Game three is set in a post apocalyptic world where the monsters from the first two games reveal their Lovecraftian intentions to wipe the world clean in preparation for it's old rulers to return. In a non-Lovecraftian fashion you decide their is always hope and you go to kick their asses! Great shooting and great monster powers; in game one anyway. Only shooting remains in the other two.

8:Hugo's House of Horror's series
These are a big nostalgia trip foe me. Typing adventure games that you are very unlikely to win unless you know someone who already has or looked online. And they came out before the internet was a big deal! You are Hugo, except when you're Penelope, and you must travel through a world of bizarre puzzles, unfair death traps and enemies, few options to defend yourself, all in a quest to save the woman/man you love. If you got mad and typed angrily at it, the game would tell you off! At one point it felt sorry for me and told me how to solve a puzzle. The modern gamer would stick up it's nose at these gems but this was a truly old school game series for old school nerds. Who can forget that bridge in the second game! Oh that evil bridge...

7:Destroy All Humans series
These games had a lot of humor and all of it was twisted! You start by blasting 50's America as it was in the comic books. Lots of robots, psychics, an oblivious population, and a few cows. You do this all and uncover a sinister plot, while trying to save the person you love more than any other...yourself! They caught one of your clones. The second game took the adventure world wide. I was very disappointed by Path of the Furon, and Big Willy Unleashed was just ok. The first two games were great!

6:Doom
Does it really need an introduction? A nameless space marine has been exiled to the moons of Mars to guard the UAC's portal experiments. They open a door to hell. You're the only survivor, but don't worry. You have a pistol and a few dozen rounds of ammo! That should be enough to get you through.

5:Return to Castle Wolfenstein
My favorite first person shooter of those awkward years when the 90's ended and the aught's had yet to figure out what they wanted to be. This is a remake of Wolf 3D with vastly improved graphics, gameplay, and campy fun. You don't get to kill Hitler at the end, but you ruin Himmler's day which is very nice!

4:Commander Keen Series
As Billy Blaze you pogo stick and zap gun your way across alien worlds, eating candy and outmaneuvering aliens all the way. Keen 4 was without question the best but the others all had a certain charm. While the series ended on a cliffhanger you did manage to rescue your babysitter from man eating aliens. That's something right? I mean it wasn't like her younger brother tricked you so that you'd be kept out of the way while he planned the annihilation of the universe right? Right?

3:Civilization: Call to Power
The only Civilization game I ever played or wanted to. Pick your civilization and build it up from nothing to a world spanning empire. Play wisely and you can be well into the modern world while your rival empires are still trying to get into the Renaissance. Pikemen are effective, but not when you come knocking with artillery and battleships. MANY were the hours I lost to this gem.

2:Duke Nukem Series
Old Duke may have fallen out of fashion but I have yet to encounter a game of his that wasn't fun. And yes I'm including Duke Nukem Forever. For those who hated it, give the Doctor Who Cloned Me a try. It was good. Most of his old 90's games are available cheap on steam. Relive the coke collecting, rocket launching, alien smashing glory! When you're done you can watch Oprah.

1:Dynasty Warriors 3/Extreme Legends
Pick your warlord/warlady and conquer china. Again and again and again. If you get bored conquer Japan! Or Troy, or the Gundam Universe or whatever else they decided is worth conquering this year. Guan Yu is my favorite character. Sun Shang Xiang is a close second. Beating up hundreds of soldiers at a time is fun with any character though! I bought this game 8 years ago for $5. That was $5 well spent.

And that is my fanboyish and poorly written top ten games of all time.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The problem with doing this is that, a game that meant a lot to me in the day doesn't measure up today.

Example: Sea Wolf. $0.10 for 3 lives in the day. Terrific! Sucks by today's standards. So, while we are in gen 8 consoles, I will include things that work for PC and Gen 7 or are games I think would be as good today as they were then:

Batman Arkham City
Uncharted 2 (though 3 so far is really great!)
Halo Collection (1-4 for Xbox One)
Fallout 3 (I put in 150 hours: too much fun!)
Paradise City (I miss "colission" but otherwise, great, open world fun).
Tomb Raider
Bioshock Infinite (holy moly: marriage of new rollar coaster gameplay and mind bending sci-fi!)
Saints Row 3
Skyrim (with Mods. Without, I thought it dull and repetitive).
COD: Modern Warfare 2 OMG. What a fun, great looking FPS.

Funny, no actual Gen 8 games yet. I'm starting some. We'll see how it goes.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The problem with doing this is that, a game that meant a lot to me in the day doesn't measure up today.

Example: Sea Wolf. $0.10 for 3 lives in the day. Terrific! Sucks by today's standards. So, while we are in gen 8 consoles, I will include things that work for PC and Gen 7 or are games I think would be as good today as they were then:

Batman Arkham City
Uncharted 2 (though 3 so far is really great!)
Halo Collection (1-4 for Xbox One)
Fallout 3 (I put in 150 hours: too much fun!)
Paradise City (I miss "colission" but otherwise, great, open world fun).
Tomb Raider
Bioshock Infinite (holy moly: marriage of new rollar coaster gameplay and mind bending sci-fi!)
Saints Row 3
Skyrim (with Mods. Without, I thought it dull and repetitive).
COD: Modern Warfare 2 OMG. What a fun, great looking FPS.

Funny, no actual Gen 8 games yet. I'm starting some. We'll see how it goes.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Arcanum
Saints Row 2 (yeah, seriously)
Borderlands 2
The Saboteur
The Bard's Tale (the original, not the shitty remake)
Civ IV
No One Lives Forever 2
Deus Ex
Fallout New Vegas
Armored Core

No particular order there. Special mention goes to Red Orchestra 2 for consistently being the best multiplayer experience of my life.