What kind of insects and animals do you deal with where you live?

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I live in Missouri. Nothing too serious except the occasional rattlesnake or skunk. Yes, I'm willing to put the skunk on the same level as the rattlesnake. You absolutely do not want to be sprayed by a skunk, ever. Also, I sometimes hear about mountain lion sightings, but I've never seen one myself.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Wrex Brogan said:
For me, as a Suburban South Australian, I have Spiders. Lots and lots of Spiders (if the opening sentence couldn't give that away).
Suburban Victorian Australian. 10/10, would spider again. Just finished resealing every hole in my room with silicon, and am about to get the house sprayed again. My suburb is highly wooded, so there are a ton of the fuckers, and a bunch of the most aggressive looking black spiders you'll ever see love to hang out with me. I swear I've gone through about 20 of this summer alone.

Needless to say, tissues and shoes are used plentifully, alongside a ton of spray. Bastards mostly come in the summer, on the warmer days, so today they'll be here again. I just got to wait for them...

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I live in Nova Scotia.

Which is in Canada.

Which is on Earth.

Which is also in Canada.

A big ol' place, in other words.

In Nova Scotia, we have june bugs(in June), earwigs, small but determined ants, and some mosquitoes. All of which come out in late May, and go away after September. Easy- peasy.

And, of course, demons.

But that's the price you pay for an east coast environment.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I live in inner Sydney so I have to deal with millions upon millions of these...

Adorable... and if they bite you, you could die in one of the worst ways imaginable...

They darken the sky at dusk. There is a ridiculous number of them. Just bats. Millions and millions and millions of bats.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Melbourne, Aus.

I've been pretty lucky so far. No huntsman spiders in the house (that I've seen) for almost 3 years. Mossies fucked me up on NYE though. I've got bites all over my arms and wrists.
Generally, I've only had to deal with Daddy Long Legs, flies and mosquitoes (which the previous creature helps out with), and small spiders for quite some time. My cat does a little hunting every now and again too.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Living in Florida, the list is quite extensive. Even if I exclude Sharks, Jellyfish, and other marine threats since I live inland and rarely go out to the beach.

Large Animals: Alligators, Florida Black Bears and Panthers, and Wild Boars which are very ill tempered.

Snakes that are a danger to people due to venom: Copperheads, Cottonmouths (water moccasins), Coral snakes, Eastern Diamondback, Timber and Susky Pigmy rattlesnakes.

Large Snakes: Burmese Pythons, thanks to the dumbasses that either released them or allowed them to escape. They are such a problem that there are now hunting seasons for them.

Smaller but dangerous threats: Fire Ants, Trap-Jaw Ants, Brown Recluse Spiders(do not look for wound images, trust me) Black Widow Spiders, Toxic Caterpillars, small scorpions and other assorted spiders.

And of course, potentially deadly bacteria and amoebas in water. That amoeba is very rare, but typically lethal as it eats your brain. If the gators and aquatic snakes aren't enough incentive, just stick to pools and water parks and thank me later.

Since people are animals too:

Where I live, Central Florida, is not only racially diverse with the permanent residents but also a tourist hotspot - imagine driving on heavy traffic roads with scores of people from all places of the world with different driving laws and customs.. And most of them have no idea where they are going. Very frustrating at times, dangerous at others. People that are looking for signs or focusing too much on their GPS can be dangerous, so be aware of what people around you are doing and learn how to spot rental cars.

And, perhaps worst of all: Florida Man/Woman. Just google Florida Man and Florida Woman news stories.

This is a little off topic.. But important.
If you visit and choose to swim in the ocean, PLEASE learn about Rip Currents before you set foot in the water. And, especially you Brits and people from other fair climates.. Wear lots of sunscreen. I've seen more lobster red Brits than you would believe.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
BoogieManFL said:
If you visit and choose to swim in the ocean, PLEASE learn about Rip Currents before you set foot in the water.
Speaking as an Australian, I very much second this. This Christmas period the drowning toll was greater than the road toll, in part because of a rip. And people that don't shut gates around backyard swimming pools, and people that go swimming at night.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Cycloptomese said:
I live in Missouri. Nothing too serious except the occasional rattlesnake or skunk. Yes, I'm willing to put the skunk on the same level as the rattlesnake. You absolutely do not want to be sprayed by a skunk, ever. Also, I sometimes hear about mountain lion sightings, but I've never seen one myself.
I'm just a state to your west and we have similar creatures running around. We did record some footage of a mountain lion fairly recently so I'd guess you have a couple running around too. Although some of the trail cameras set up to capture that footage managed to spot some "bigfoots" and some creepy clowns.

One thing I've never encountered in Kansas is a scorpion, my lone sighting of a scorpion happened in southern Missouri (Cape Fair, Mo.)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Belgium here. Not much to worry about over here. Worst we have to deal with is wasps, houseflies and mosquitos.

Oh, and we had a bit of a rat problem a while ago when they started laying new sewer pipes and closed a few nearby drainage ditches, destroying their habitats and displacing them towards the residences. Good news is this also attracted birds of prey and they've since done a good job keeping populations under control.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Got some generic brown bugs in my apartment. Pretty small and easy to handle. I've only seen a few actual cockroaches, but they were quite large. Especially the one that was inside my shower, when I was taking a shower (unaware, at first). I almost jumped out of my fucking skin.

One thing I hate about living in the south is chiggers. Damn things make me paranoid about walking through any grass barefoot. And barefoot grass walking feels so nice. DAMN YOU, NATURE!

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Fruit bats in Sydney.

Millions take to the air at dusk. They're massive. If they bite you, you may get infected with lyssavirus. So regardless of how cute they are don't play with them at the park or when they hang off your clothesline on the patio.

Before I moved near Chinatown, I used to live next to the Domain and there you'd also get ibis nesting in trees, making awful squawking noises at you.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only annoyance I have to deal with are just wasp, flies and an occasional garden spider or any smaller spider! Yes I'm glad I don't lived in Australia since I have a phobia of spiders!

Granted the only threatening spiders that I did have to deal with months ago was the brown recluse spiders at work althought the ones we only founds were the fakes ones.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The most annoying ones are mosquitos, they come in swarms and bite everything they can while carrying disease.
The next in line would be Ticks. They are very active here recently and while rarely but carry diseases that are deadly. Basically if you have a dog this is not a good year for you. While walking the dog youll find plenty trying to suck into you and the dog.

We also have variuos forms of wasps, spiders, worms and bugs.

Just yesterday i had to evict a spider that decided it was a good idea to use its web to lower itself from the ceiling straight on top of my head.

Gal_mor

Aug 7, 2017
England... even humans barely survive here :). Just birds singing in the morning, some insects, squirrels - quite funny/

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
Horse flies are probably the worst thing in England, Gnats can be pretty annoying aswell.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
The only annoyance I have to deal with are just wasp, flies and an occasional garden spider or any smaller spider! Yes I'm glad I don't lived in Australia since I have a phobia of spiders!

Granted the only threatening spiders that I did have to deal with months ago was the brown recluse spiders at work althought the ones we only founds were the fakes ones.
Just live in Sydney. The only time I've seen a Sydney funnel-web is outside of Sydney. We live a pretty sterile environment... well, apart from rats within 5 kilometers of Hyde Park. Though at least our rats aren't so common. Rats in the Philippines .... they aren't even afraid of humans ...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Live in London, UK.

Only really have to deal with the occasional relatively small spiders, mosquitos in Summer, ants and wasps. Saw a bee the size of a bear earlier today.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Silvanus said:
Live in London, UK.

Only really have to deal with the occasional relatively small spiders, mosquitos in Summer, ants and wasps. Saw a bee the size of a bear earlier today.
That's a shame, a bear the size of a bee would be adorable.