What made you join the Escapist?

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
Slightly different to the threads like 'What brought you here?', this is more about why you joined the forums/pub club in the first place and why you have stayed (basically, what made you want to post).

For me, this is really the only place where i can come to talk about games (not that I'm particularly chatty here). Non of my friends are into games to the same extent I am, they may dabble in a bit of Xbox/PS sometimes, but when I want a serious discussion about gaming or just want to see other views on gaming I come here to read forum posts and maybe (just maybe) post my own thoughts and feelings on this hobby we call gaming.

So, OT; why did you join?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Because it was the only place I could actually talk in-depth about games. Fast-forward a couple years and it is still the only place I can talk about games. Only now I want to talk about anime and other shit. Oh how the times change. *stares off into the distance*

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I joined, as many did, because of Zero Punctuation. I have stayed up till now because The Escapist was a place that allowed and encouraged discussion of all aspects of gaming, including aspects of their culture and import beyond just mechanics.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I'm pretty sure what first brought me along was ZP after a few episodes, but I mostly stayed for the forum community, to be honest. It's been that way for a year or two at this point.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
I normally came here for zero punctuation and jimquistion but I joined for the forum community and discussion. Apparently, I am lonely and want to talk about videogames to someone.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I joined the forums because somebody made a really long, winded, ranty post complaining that Gamestop had ripped them off because they didn't keep hold of receipts and evidently couldn't do math. Also they were insulted that they weren't getting respect because they were a veteran (or something) and thought that everyone else was wasting their lives away by not being part of a military force.

I'm only slightly exaggerating.

What kept me coming here was, well, the forum discussions. Arguments, more like, but to a point it was never boring. EternalNothingness threads were amazing to behold. After a year I was beginning to get sick of the constant negativity and passive-aggressiveness that gripped this place in an iron fist (yeah, it was like that even back in 2011, newbies!) but fortunately that was when I discovered a user group that had a bunch of other users who felt largely the same way I did. Now it's habit as much as anything else to come here.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I came here because I saw a few clips on X-Play previewing ZP. Yes, it was that long ago. Anyway, I resisted for a long time, but I finally gave in once one of the previews made me bust up laughing. That's what made me come to the site.

What made me join the forums was a post about World War II and dropping the bomb on Japan. Someone was on a high horse, preaching about how wrong it was and how it was just the U.S. flexing their muscle. It got to the point that I got really ticked off, because there's a very good chance I wouldn't be alive today if it hadn't happened, that I joined the forums just to shout back. On page...five maybe? I don't know, it was years ago.

I've stayed because I like coming to the site, I like going through the forums, and I like posting things. It's fun to talk to other people about games or stuff that I'm interested in and they are too.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Sniper Team 4 said:
I came here because I saw a few clips on X-Play previewing ZP. Yes, it was that long ago. Anyway, I resisted for a long time, but I finally gave in once one of the previews made me bust up laughing. That's what made me come to the site.
Hey, me too!

I think the first clip that they showed was his letter to the angry SSBB fans, and it was amazing.

OT: But yeah, I came here because of that, and I've been lurking for years before I gained the balls to make an account.

Now I just stay for the people. I've met some really awesome people while I've been here, and even more when the Escapist had their expo, which was fucking awesome. I mean, the threads and discussions were great when I first arrived, and they've been hit-or-miss as of late, but that's fine. Been too busy to really care. :p

So yeah, came for the ZP and stayed for the people. :D

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Unlike many others, I joined for the forums and have stayed for the forums. I have watched/read very, very, very little of the actual featured content of the site. When I joined, I just wanted to be a part of a video game forum (since back then I hadn't been in any) to talk about the interest. That's really the long and short of it. I merely found The Escapist before any of the others.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nobody made me join. I decided to.

As for the reason? ZP, naturally.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
I was drawn here a few years ago during the Golden days of the Escapist and I've been visiting off and on ever since. I finally made an account because I've been skulking around for so long that I might as well join and say some stuff.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I was only ever interested in the video content originally.

I think I was introduced to Zero Punctuation some time in 2007.
I didn't start coming here regularly until some time during early 2008, (partly because I'd basically had no real internet for a really long time)

As you can see from my join date I didn't actually join until april 2009.
Why? Because I'm not very sociable, and I had other forums to occupy my time.

What changed was, I found a thread I found particularly interesting, so I gave in and signed up just to post on that one thread. Which even now seems completely absurd.
I even said as much at the time.

My very first words on this forum were:
Heh. I can't believe I registered on this forum just to answer this...
So... Yeah. That was it. close to 2 years hanging around anonymously, and it was some random forum thread that did it... XD
I guess if I had registered when I first started using the site regularly, I would have one of the oldest remaining accounts in existence. Which is an odd thought. As it stands there's only a small handful of people still around that have been here longer (in terms of the time they've been registered).

From there I ended up getting pubclub the moment it came into existence, and... Then a lot of content stopped, I got bored, and wasn't checking the site more than maybe once a month for about 2 years (still paying for publclub during that period, ironically), and well, here we are again...

This has been going on way too long. XD 2007. Can't believe I actually saw my first Zero Punctuation video pretty much the year Yahztee first started making them. That feels really weird to me.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I think I originally made an account because that was the only way for me to take the quiz that I found on here or something.

Dunno what made me start to post, though. I DID discover the wonderful world of ZP, though.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
I was lurking on these forums for a while because of ZP. I joined mostly to participate in discussions; this was the only website I encountered that encouraged real thinking about video games. I actually became a PubClub member to show the Escapist support after one of their contributors started writing a weekly column called Social Justice Warrior. Alas, the column didn't live up to it's full potential and didn't last long. I was sad, but stayed on anyway for the reasons listed above.

Needless to say, I have cancelled my PubClub subscription. I'm still good till July 4th though, so whatever.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i joined in 2008 and can not remember why the hell i joined probably for the quizzes i like the quizzes the personality ones i like the most but mostly i just post random bullcrap and lurk i didn't make my first post until march 2009
other than that i weekly consider asking people to recommend anime to me but never work up the guts to ask

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Back then the topics were all fun and interested that made me wanted to comment (I was a lurker back then) so I signed up to comment in the threads.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I joined the Escapist to vote against Zynga. Zynga won. And ever since then my efforts have always been futile.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Um, I think I found out about this place because of Yahtzee.

I decided to join the forums a few years later because they seemed pretty decent, and honestly, compared to most places, they are.