What media players do you use?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dr.Susse said:
I use Music Bee on my computer. Link
It takes a little to set up the way you want it but it's really adaptable to what ever you need. (Honeycomb skin looks really nice)

As for my phone BlackPlayer is simple, looks good and I haven't had one single problem with it yet.
Link

Both do what I want well enough that I haven't thought about changing for a good while now.
how the flip did I get ninja's by the first post in this sort of thread of all places

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
VLC and foobar (even though I don't really listen to music on my PC). I don't listen to/watch anything on my phone, why would I?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
TIL people still use Winamp.

I just use Windows Media Player for music and VLC for video. I like the way that WMP organizes and separates music files, and how simple and effective VLC is for playing video files.

WMP did randomly break on me after some updates a few weeks ago, though, and there was a day of frustration as I tried working everything out, so uh, maybe I'll check out something like Music Bee just to have as a backup if I end up liking the GUI and whatnot.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
PC: I use Windows Media Player for my audio, it's quick and simple for what I need.

For video I use VLC, it can play pretty much everything and has no need for extra codecs.

Mobile: I use PowerAMP for music and once again VLC for my video playback needs.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
PC:

Winamp for my gigantic playlist (~16000 songs),
VLC if I want to listen to complete albums in one go, and watch movies.

WMP is such a terrible program, all it's good for is copying CD's to my laptop's harddrive, and even that is a gamble if it even will work.

Mobile, although in my case it's a DS Lite with a R4 card: Moonshell.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess I'm boring for using

Audio- Itune. What? I have an Ipod Nano. Granted during the MP3 players era I did used Wimamp and this Sony player when I bought this peeble like Sony MP3 player (it was great when I had it by man comparing it to the namo, it weight like a ton!).

Video- Window Media Player. Too lazy to download another video software. Granted it was Wimamp back then aswell.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
I used to use BlackPlayer on my phone, but at some point it stopped reading my SD Card. No such problems with Foobar2000, which is also what I use on my Desktop. VLC for Video.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Wow, so none of the players I use have been mentioned at all...

PC

-Video
Zoom Player: The amount of features and user setting customizations is through the roof. You can resync audio with a keyboard shortcut, you can go frame-by-frame with audio with a keyboard shortcut (which is extremely helpful in syncing up audio), you can change how far/short the video jump in seconds when hitting left/right arrows, you can change how much volume increases/decreases with the up/down arrows, you can even have the mouse scroll wheel shrink/enlarge the player window 1 pixel at a time if you so desire.

-Audio
jetAudio: This player has hands-down the best sound quality with its BBE sound enhancements along with a 20-band equalizer. The interface takes some time to get used to as adding songs to its library requires some experimentation on the user's end to figure it out.

Mobile

-Video
MoboPlayer: This player has a slew of features for a mobile video player including stuff like subtitles to a floating window to keep a video playing while switching apps to say your Internet browser. You would think with all these features that an app like this would be full of ads with paying a few bucks for the premium version but MoboPlayer is completely ad-free. The developer even frequently updates the app, occasionally pushing out really fast updates to fix something the last update broke.

-Audio
jetAudio: Again, this player has hands-down the best sound quality out there. However, unlike its PC counterpart, it does not feature BBE sound enhancements. But, with that said, it does have other sound enhancements including the Crystalizer and Bongiovi DPS along with standard jetAudio effects (like bass, wide, etc.). It does take quite a bit of playing around with everything to get the sound just right as opposed to the much better ease of the BBE effects on the desktop version. The player features a 20-band equalizer as well and having the extra bands really makes a difference how much you can tailor the sound to your preferences. The player is full featured with lots of settings options along with the ability to download album art. Where the mobile version definitely outdoes the desktop version is interface, which is so much easier and better than the desktop version. The interface may not be the slickest but it's definitely super easy and extremely functional allowing you to view by your music by song, artist, album, and by folders. To get the most out of jetAudio, you definitely have to buy it to get the 20-band EQ and you have to buy the Crystalizer and Bongiovi enhancements (ignore the AM3D one), which I think costs about $10 in total. There's of course a free version to check out and you can enable the premium effects for like 10 seconds or so to check them out.

Here's my settings for jetAudio:
Equalizer: 1,-4,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,3,2,1,0,-1,-2,-3,-4,-3,-2,-2
jetAudio sound effects: X-Bass 2 at 18, X-Wide 2 at 32
Crystalizer:8
Bongiovi DPS set to 'New Orleans General'

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
BSPlayer to get the subtitles, VLC to actually play them

BSPlayer has some issues with video/audio synch, which is the reason I don't use it wholeheartedly.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Dr.Susse said:
I use Music Bee on my computer. Link
It takes a little to set up the way you want it but it's really adaptable to what ever you need. (Honeycomb skin looks really nice)

As for my phone BlackPlayer is simple, looks good and I haven't had one single problem with it yet.
Link

Both do what I want well enough that I haven't thought about changing for a good while now.
how the flip did I get ninja's by the first post in this sort of thread of all places
I'm trying to bring back ninja'ing.
It's retro.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Ooh, now here's where I get to be all hipsterish.

I tried VLC, didn't like it. Specifically, seeking forward and back in video files has always been horrible and it's something they've never fixed or gotten right. (I still find it amusing when I watch gameplay coaching videos - ie: someone talking over a recording of someone else's gameplay - and they're using VLC to play back the recorded footage. Whenever they want to replay or rewatch the last few seconds or whatever they always struggle with seeking the video, and the audio starts to stutter and glitch and whatever, like it always does when you try to drag the seek slider in VLC. Just horrible.)

Nope, instead I use PotPlayer. It's lightweight, it plays literally everything, it's easy to use, and it's absolutely feature-packed. It even supports hardware (GPU) decoding of H.264/H.265 video files, if you have the hardware to support it.

If you're after a plain audio player in the same style and lightweight-ness of Winamp, you can try Spider Player (pro version is now free). It supports more audio formats than the old Winamp does, but keeps the same old Winamp style (I think you can also use old Winamp skins in it, but I'm not 100% sure on that).

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
McElroy said:
VLC for all video. Windows Media Player for the odd music file I might have. The rest I stream online.
Same for me. I also use an app on Windows 8.1 for Netflix.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Audio: Winamp 5.65
Video: ffplay (It's part of the ffmpeg package)

They both play everything I need them to play, use few resources, go away entirely when closed, and keep clear of the cloud.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Audio: AIMP - I started using it when winamp went to shit since it was pretty similar and i've stuck with it.
Video: MPC-HC - It plays everything and it does it fast.

Audio: PowerAMP - Simply the best app for android audio consumption.
Smart AudioBook player - A simple app that dos what it's name advertises.
Video: MX player.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I use these for both PC and mobile with their respective mobile versions.

Audio - Foobar2000 with imported Winamp visualizations via addon. The most robust, lightweight and fail-proof audio player i have ever had the pleasure to use. Love the customizability as well.

Video - VLC or MPC. Mostly watch things wth VLC with custom filter settings to achieve some color correction (especially on the machine with old LCD monitor that needs that for everything to look good). I sometimes use MPC for certain file types, but rarely.

IceForce said:
and they're using VLC to play back the recorded footage. Whenever they want to replay or rewatch the last few seconds or whatever they always struggle with seeking the video, and the audio starts to stutter and glitch and whatever, like it always does when you try to drag the seek slider in VLC. Just horrible.)

It even supports hardware (GPU) decoding of H.264/H.265 video files, if you have the hardware to support it.

If you're after a plain audio player in the same style and lightweight-ness of Winamp, you can try Spider Player (pro version is now free). It supports more audio formats than the old Winamp does, but keeps the same old Winamp style (I think you can also use old Winamp skins in it, but I'm not 100% sure on that).
I never experience seeking problems with VLC, maybe they have "Safe seeking" off or their storage is very fragmented and cant keep up?

You do know that H264 is so popular precisely because hardware decoding for it is on everything up to your microwave. We use it for online videos because HTML5 player natively supports hardware decoding. That is, unless you are google, then you use VP9 in-house codec that doesnt have GPU decoding at all. well played youtube.

Gal_mor

Aug 7, 2017
VLC is my fave, Windows media player looks so outdated comparing to VLC. I like the navigation as well more than other players.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
VLC and Winamp on my PC and when on the go I use some sorta samsung MP3 player that plays everything I throw at it (MP3, WAV, OGG, UMX, FLAC, etc) that I expanded with a 64GB Micro SD card.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
PC
Audio - Winamp
Sometimes WMP for things like .wav
On rare occasion VLC situationally

Video- VLC for personal playback
Plex for media server

Mobile - Phone
Audio - Standard windows phone audio player
Video - Plex