What Not to Hate About E3

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
It's gimmickery of the highest order, meaningless, decadent innovation rather than any attempt to address an actual issue with gaming, like ...*snip*... lacking some kind of secret compartment that dispenses rum.
I challenge a company to come up with this, if only cause I can't stand to see a (mostly) harmless challenge go unanswered. And make no mistake, that quote, IS a challenge to someone out there.

Ctmnt08

May 24, 2012
I failed to say "Dream Drop Distance" 10 times fast.

Also, anyone got any guesses for his reviews from now until, say, October? Because nothing of any note is coming out between now and then.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
If you like survival you really need to try out the DayZ mod for Arma2.

You may shudder at the idea of yet another zombie game but anything that can actually evoke the feel of a classic zombie apocalypse of hiding in the countryside occasionally risking trips into town to restock food, fluids, medical supplies, and guns is a great leap ahead from the norm.

The fear I feel from surveying a hamlet infested with walkers, knowing that I have to enter because I need bandages and bullets while fearing every window that might have some bastard trying to snipe my desperate hungry, thirsty, blood-depleted ass, (PVP banditry!) puts the legions of zombie action games to shame.

Then again you may need to upgrade your laptop....

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
"It was great 'cos it worked on two levels: if you had a soul it was an emotional wrench that forced you to think about your actions, and if you didn't it keeps score"

This line made me smile :)

Oh, and BTW my score in the end of UFO:Enemy Unknown was around 50 (even despite the fact that I heavily relied on tanks in the first few months)
Somehow I don't think that X-Com:Enemy Unknown will have same cannon fodder-y feeling.

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
ShotgunZombie said:
The point is that the only thing you need to take away from E3 2012 is this: WatchDogs looks awesome. Oh, and THQ is apparently run by heartless/soulless abominations who axed an entire studio during the busiest day of the convention hoping nobody would notice. Well that's all I took away from E3 this year anyway.
The trailer certainly made looked interesting, even if I felt it looked like a futuristic Assassins Creed.

No idea if Sleeping Dogs was shown, but that's another game I'm looking forward to.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Piflik said:
They are actually making two XCOM games. 2K Marin makes the stupid shooter, Firaxis makes the turn based strategy game.
And the best turn based strategy games

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
One thing I kind of like about E3 is that there's always at least one sleeper hit. For example, watch dogs.

tellytoy

Feb 14, 2012
KH: 358/2 Days is pronounced "Three-hundred and Fifty Eight Days over Two", to anyone curious.

I used to really like Kingdom Hearts, but after Re:Coded, I've mostly lost interest.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
rollerfox88 said:
Mr. Yahtzee, if you are "really getting into" the hardcore mode of Minecraft, you may like to try out the DayZ mod for ArmA II...if you're not sick of zombies.
NINAJAS! Ninjas everywhere!

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
ShotgunZombie said:
The point is that the only thing you need to take away from E3 2012 is this: WatchDogs looks awesome. Oh, and THQ is apparently run by heartless/soulless abominations who axed an entire studio during the busiest day of the convention hoping nobody would notice. Well that's all I took away from E3 this year anyway.
I'm sorry WHAT? Wh- how... What?!

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
The Wii U is like if they sought out to invent the perfect thing that I would never buy, ever, for any reason.

Jul 9, 2010
erttheking said:
And...wait wait wait? Halo 4 gave you positive feelings? HALO!? You're having positive feelings about a series I actually like....WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YAHTZEE!?
To be fair, he never said he disliked Halo, just that it was average.

Heh, I remember Cannon Fodder. I always felt bad when I saw the hill covered in the graves of the fallen.

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
ShotgunZombie said:
I'm sorry WHAT? Wh- how... What?!
Here, read:
http://kotaku.com/5915701/thq-chooses-today-of-all-days-to-fire-employees-close-studio

Wolle

Jan 10, 2008
Saying "Dream Drop Distance" 10 times fast was easy, but now I feel stupid.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
I rather liked *most* of Second Sight. Tantalized by its description, I picked it up during a Steam sale. I stopped playing it at a point when it became less fun (when you're out in the snow). Its one of those ported console games where the slightly off-kilter 4-axis movement is quite annoying to PC users. It's actually a bit disruptive to gameplay too; when hiding in a closet, you can't be facing in a useful direction to see if anyone is nearby. I think I'll give SS another chance soon, as I'm playing Metro 2033 - or I would be if the stupid cutscenes would ever let me play.

TAdamson said:
If you like survival you really need to try out the DayZ mod for Arma2. ...

The fear I feel from surveying a hamlet infested with walkers, knowing that I have to enter because I need bandages and bullets while fearing every window that might have some bastard trying to snipe my desperate hungry, thirsty, blood-depleted ass, (PVP banditry!) puts the legions of zombie action games to shame. ...
Ah, yes. STALKER came close, but skimped on the need for food and sleep (the new TB3D mod goes a long way to fixing this). Also ammunition was disturbingly plentiful for a place where everything had to be smuggled in. I have known for a while that I needed to add Arma II to my arsenal of games. Thank you for the suggestion.

... wait, what? DayZ is multiplayer????

Eeeehhhh... I don't need a survival game *that* much.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
KarlMonster said:
I rather liked *most* of Second Sight. Tantalized by its description, I picked it up during a Steam sale. I stopped playing it at a point when it became less fun (when you're out in the snow). Its one of those ported console games where the slightly off-kilter 4-axis movement is quite annoying to PC users. It's actually a bit disruptive to gameplay too; when hiding in a closet, you can't be facing in a useful direction to see if anyone is nearby. I think I'll give SS another chance soon, as I'm playing Metro 2033 - or I would be if the stupid cutscenes would ever let me play.

TAdamson said:
If you like survival you really need to try out the DayZ mod for Arma2. ...

The fear I feel from surveying a hamlet infested with walkers, knowing that I have to enter because I need bandages and bullets while fearing every window that might have some bastard trying to snipe my desperate hungry, thirsty, blood-depleted ass, (PVP banditry!) puts the legions of zombie action games to shame. ...
Ah, yes. STALKER came close, but skimped on the need for food and sleep (the new TB3D mod goes a long way to fixing this). Also ammunition was disturbingly plentiful for a place where everything had to be smuggled in. I have known for a while that I needed to add Arma II to my arsenal of games. Thank you for the suggestion.

... wait, what? DayZ is multiplayer????

Eeeehhhh... I don't need a survival game *that* much.
To be fair you barely see other players if you don't want to. Find a low population server and stay away from the big towns and you'll probably barely ever see another player.

There's 220 square kilometres to play in so... And those rare time where you bump into a person are usually friendly so...

Other times I've been brutally murdered while looking at my inventory due to the other guy not expecting me to be there.

I've been looting a crashed helicopter (Best loot) and heard a sniper bullet whizz past me, though "What the fuck was that?", heard the gunshot and another bullet, and though "Shiiiit! and started legging it.

Having occasional PVP happen just raises the tension. You can play it single player but then there isn't the constant fear about walking around in the open or looting the high population areas.

Or you can do hilarious shit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO4xvgsc8n4&feature=player_embedded

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NO-P9tucGg&feature=related

Or there's this more serious series by the ShackTactical gang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ&feature=plcp

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
Sean951 said:
Could that screen of the WiiU possibly have been a demo and informing the player that the next step of the tutorial would be shown there?
Might be a possibility, but refer to you the GBA Link cable games for a bit of a history lesson.

Also, more directly to the article, I prefer things where I can control both, like PSO's setup... I found it did a lot of good for such things. Also, I hated Halo when it was big... but I realized that, just maybe, I should've given it more of a chance, because those people are now playing CoD, which is infinitely worse...