What old games can still stand against new titles?

Dudimus

Aug 5, 2009
I want to know what made Halo so great? It didn't do anything new for the genre, and the combat was all wonky and arcady, I do not get why is was the massive phenomenon that it was.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Almost everything from the early PC/PS1/PS2/SNES era is better than 99% of the boring stuff coming out on next-gen consoles. Back in the days, graphics and sequels weren't the only reasons to get a game, but the combination of

- a good plot (now abandoned/substituted for aweful coolness and predictability)
- great music (which now is mostly unnoticable)
- atmosphere (no, being a mute warhero of any kind isn't helping)
- great characters (to name a few: Garrett, Sly, Malcolm, Fei Wong Fong, Nash, Chrono, Aya and pretty much every character in a LucasArts adventure)

I've been a gamer for a little bit over 15 years and since 2003 my hobby has become pretty boring.

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
Every Final Fantasy game, Galaga, the original Super Mario...God, I could go on forever. I love old games.

asam92

Oct 26, 2008
Secret of Mana (I just love to plug this every chance I get cuz its awesome)

I always loved the Donkey Kong Countries on the snes, they were platformer gold

And its not really a classic cuz I consider classics have to be at least 2 gens ago, PS2, XBOX and GCN don't count for me, but Shadow of The Collosus is just so freaking epic, I am only just playing it for the first time this week, F@#k still cost me $100, geez!

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
LoZ: Oot/MM, Diablo 2, warcraft 2, starcraft, any old 2D mario. The list goes on.

ojm62

Aug 5, 2009
Hmmm, an old games I still play. Star trek armada still stands up as a great rts. It has a nice story, reasonable depth to it. I also like James Bond in Everything or Nothing, great thirderson shooter thingy.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Trace2010 said:
Vrex360 said:
This is going to sound like a very quintessentially Vrex response but nothing ventured:
Halo has and always is in my books preferable to most modern shooters with the possible exception of Bioshock. Any of the three Halo titles are still great fun to play multiplayer and still have that delightful charm that I always liked about Halo. That warm fuzzy feeling that's hard to explain.
GOLDENEYE *N64 > Any or all of the HALO games

Graphics may not have been as good...but an awesome single player story, combined with many layers of unlockable multiplayer combat (based on the Bond films- from "Golden Gun" to the Moonraker Laser"...Added to a control scheme that actually worked before two sticks were placed on a controller...Yeah, it was awesome. If they were able to re-release that game over XBOX LIVE...that would be icing on the cake.

EDIT: ARMED AND DANGEROUS ATE HALO'S LUNCH THEN BEAT IT WITH A TAPIOCA DESSERT.
I disagree but I respect your opinion. All I was saying was that I liked Halo because I liked it there doesn't have to be anything more complex than that. I never challenged Goldeneye like, ever and yet you felt the urge to attack me all the same, kudos to you. Frankly I didn't like Goldeneye all that much it was novelty at the time because when I was younger I liked James Bond because he and I both had the same first name and because I was too young to recognise the levels of serious misogyny within those movies that would later turn me off completely to the entire franchise. But as the years past the novelty wore out as I became far more interested in space and aliens and hence when Halo beckoned to me I answered and I liked it. There's nothing more complex than that. I was just saying I still prefer the original Halo to say Call of Duty 5 when it comes right down to it, graphics mean nothing to me over the fun and charm I get when I play Halo.
Although in truth the real classic old game that can still hold it's own goes to Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 god that game was addictive. I still play that now.

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
posting in another thread actually just reminded me of this game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni_(video_game)

which I would desperately like to see released again with a modern engine.
I've played it countless times over the years though, and the sparse and outdated graphics have done nothing to detract from the game for me.

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 3

It has an exceptional emotional ending (if you get into it, that is), rockhard gameplay, controls are perfect, the story is solid and great, and I think it's definitely one of the best stories in the MGS history. Plus, it's one of the few games you don't control Solid Snake (not counting MGS2 which was good...but...well, all the fans know why it didn't hold a candle to the others).

And Okami, it's a LONG adventure game, easily topping over 40 hours, the story might not be fantastic, but it's a good story, the graphics are awesome, the drawing gimmick actually ISN'T a gimmick and it needs a sequel badly.