What on Tatooine is Star Wars: Detours?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
FinalDream said:

[impatiently] I grow tired of asking this so it will be the last time: *Where* is Battlefront 3?
Didn't you know? Dantooine, it's on Dantooine. Apparently because it's so remote the transport they sent from Alderaan didn't get there in time for them to ship it, so it had to take a detour on the way back and got stuck in development hell. AKA the black holes near Kessel.

On topic: This sounds like an interesting idea, if true, so I'd be up for playing that, though normally my experience and enjoyment of Star Wars is mostly limited to the Starfighter and Battlefront games/plots, the films (all six of them - yes, I did enjoy the prequels a lot too), and whatever I get sidetracked by when I follow a link to the Star Wars Wiki. Though I do agree with FinalDream, I am still desperately awaiting Battlefront 3 first and foremost... :p

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
... Please let this game be based off of the Disney Ride! With the same robot and everything! That would be awesome!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
What if Jar Jar didn't hand the Republic over to Palpatine? Now that's a detour!
deth2munkies said:
I don't care about anything in the article: all I care about is how that screenshot reminds me that TIE Fighter is dated as all hell.

I sank countless hours into that game.
I would play that game as-is right now. Why did I have to go and give up my first pc?
Damn you, Tom! It's not nice to tease us Tie Fighter freaks!
FinalDream said:

[impatiently] I grow tired of asking this so it will be the last time: *Where* is Battlefront 3?
/waves hand> This not the Battlefront you are looking for.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
scnj said:
Could be for the revamped Star Tours at Disneyworld. Especially if they're planning to sell toys like the Star Tours branded Starspeeder 3000 toy.
That was my first guess. The old ride had one set film loop that led to a detour through an ice asteroid and then stumbled into a Death Star Battle at Endor. If memory serves me, the new ride (using computer tech) will generate a random tour based on several locations, hitting multiple locations within the alloted time.

So, there would be Detours aplenty with the new incarnation of the ride. Wouldn't surprise me if, in addition to the normal pens, toys and other souvenirs from the ride, they were making an interactive game similar to what Disney did for Toy Story Midway Mania [http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=midway+mania+wii&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12557295095722887219&ei=uyFbTeyVCYWosAP-2cylCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CD4Q8wIwBA#].

Now if only LucasArts would drop X-Wing and TIE Fighter for Steam :/

minespatch

Jan 13, 2011
DeeWiz said:
scnj said:
Could be for the revamped Star Tours at Disneyworld. Especially if they're planning to sell toys like the Star Tours branded Starspeeder 3000 toy.
Since I don't trust Lucas or Lucasarts anymore (remember when both those names meant serious quality), it's probably for Star Tours. It is also probably gonna be some crappy kids game on the Wii where you fly and interact with the new Rex (don't know the new pilots name, R2D2, C-3PO, etc.. In other words to x-wing/TIE Fighter what super bombad racing was to cart games.
I don't know, a Star Tours spin-off doesn't sound bad to me. Being a space bus driver could add possibilities rather than adding over-powered Gary-stues like in Force Unleashed. Might be just like that one story in Heavy Metal. So, it might not be a kids game but a different way to look at Star Wars. Wouldn't mind seeing other areas to Star Wars than the usual Jedi and Sith lord.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
Why is it that every time anything Star Wars related is so much as whispered, everyone's exited, while other really good games fly under the radar?

Ranting aside, I'd kinda like a star wars game where I don't play a Jedi. Or, better yet, turn I, Jedi into a video game. Who wouldn't want to play a Jedi who has to rely on his pilot skills, fast-talking ability, and the fact that he can pretty much only use Alter Mind? An RPG with X-Wing fighter sections and a focus on social interaction, now wouldn't that be a change of pace from The Force Unleashed? Seriously, if you haven't read I, Jedi, check it out. It's pretty awesome, with some really believable character growth and a plot that doesn't involve silly Jedi shenanigans like the KOTOR games.

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
Oh man, that screenshot triggered more gleeful nostalgia than I'd ever have thought possible. :D

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
The only thing that I can think of based on the name is that Detours might be a game filled with "What If" circumstances from the Star Wars universe, in the same vein as the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106226-Force-Unleashed-2-DLC-Features-Disturbing-Wookie-Death]. What if Luke never destroyed the Death Star? What if Chewbacca could use the Force and turned to the Dark Side? Those sorts of things.
So basically, a video game version of the Star Wars: Infinities comics?

Which, on that note, the question of "What if Luke never destroyed the Death Star?" was answered in the A New Hope miniseries. Long Story Short:

The Death Star is damaged, but destroys Yavin IV with a second Shot, Leia is captured and turned to the Dark Side, Luke trains with Yoda while Han is busy trying to pay off his debt, C-3P0 is temporarily turned into a secret assassin droid, and in the end The Death Star gets dropped on top of Coruscant after Vader turns on Palpatine in order to allow Luke and Leia to escape.

Yeah, it's kind of weird, but as a What If? tale that has no effect on the mainstream canon, it's surprisingly entertaining.

For anyone interested, the other two Infinity comics are basically 'What if Han hadn't gotten to Luke in time to save him from freezing to death on Hoth?' (Empire Strikes Back) and 'What if Leia's attempt to sneak in to Jabba's palace as a Bounty Hunter went wrong?' (Return of the Jedi)

Andy of Comix Inc said:
What is the article image from, if no-one minds me asking...?
TIE Fighter, no doubt. That or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Battlefront 3....Republic Commando 2.....come on Lucas arts, why take a risk on a poorly named Star Wars game people might not care about, when you could just make one of two sequels that will sell like gold...just saying.

Kneel

Jan 5, 2010
Hell, I saw that screenshot from TIE Fighter and SERIOUSLY got my hopes up for a revamped re-release or sequel to the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series.

Damnit.