What outcomes do you want from Avengers: endgame?

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
It's quite a simple question - when endgame rolls around, what would you like to have happened? Is there anything you want it to set up for the future, any major plot holes or arcs completed, a complete reshuffle?

One of the main arcs I want resolved is Thors- If Hemsworth is due to leave the role of Thor (unsure of his contract) I would like the Asgardians to be saved (again, somehow) and for Thor to relinquish his role of an avenger of Earth in order to focus upon being a good King. For me this would be the perfect ending to Thors story - It shows growth from the first film where he is a glory seeking, pig headed, spoilt brat of a character who does what he wants, ignoring the consequences of his actions for his own glory and expecting the crown as a birthright, to a man who has been a hero and has the chance to capitalise upon this, but instead chooses to walk away to be a good King and do what is best for the remainders of his people. It would close the arc off nicely, and if you leave some method of a new Thor being made (Enchants stormbreaker and leaves it on Earth for someone worthy to wield?) then you have to opportunity to continue with stories.

I would also, controversially, like some of the original Avengers to either retire or pass their mantle on. Specifically Thor (as mentioned), Iron man and Captain America. Cap has 2 characters that could take up his mantle, with Cap either heroically sacrificing himself (again) or retiring following an injury. Iron man... Look I love Robert Downey Jr. But I just feel like after 8 films he has done so much as the character, and they even already had a "retirement" (in the dire Ironman 3). That said, hawkeye, black widow and hulk have only had at most one solo film so maybe they should get one before bowing out?

Finally, either the introduction of SWORD, Wonder man appearing or more space-earth links would be appreciated. Oh and maybe even sentry.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I want everybody who died to stay dead, and all those who didn't to finally die.
But it's Disney so everybody lives and eats cake.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I want everybody who died to stay dead, and all those who didn't to finally die.
The improbability of that aside, if you don't like the franchise why bother watching? If half of everyone died in the first one, and everyone else should die, that's the second half of half of everyone.
so you want a movie where literally every single person in the universe dies, fair enough, but then what? movies of just empty streets and planets for 2 hours?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Your Creator said:
If everyone can simply get along with each other for once, I would like that.
But DRAMA!

Comic books are like soap operas for men. Of course there is going to be infighting

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I want that cute girl from my class in vocational college to say yes when I ask her to go watch it with me. That would be the best possible outcome.

Apr 17, 2009
For the conclusion to actually be appropriate. I've been assuming so far that Strange let Thanos have the Time Stone is because the only way to stop Thanos trying to carry out his quest is to actually let him do it then have him realise what a bad idea it is. Basically if the ending turns into a "Haha, we have our own countermanding mcguffin now!" type ending I'll be disappointed because I'm expecting a "These are the consequences of your actions, were they really worth it?" type ending

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
For the team battles to be more jaw-droppingly intense than Infinity War. Not a criticism, just saying that was one of my favorite parts, and want it to be... more so. I tend to enjoy fight scenes where the heroic characters are so driven to win that they start using some methods that could be considered 'dirty', such as Optimus Prime in the Prime series purposely blinding Megatron during their fight with the risk of permanent optic damage. No reason to hold back. Nothing is too underhanded.

For it to be climactic. Yes, I know they have to keep some things open for future movies, but the mention of a new villain makes me worry they're going to spend too much time introducing them and not enough time resolving what we've got. Unless my pet theory is true and Thanos' final vision of Gamora is actually Death, and she will be the newly-introduced villain as an ally of Thanos.

I like the rumor that Tony is going to either die or retire and let Rhodey be Iron Man while Pepper gets her own suit. In IM3 and Infinity War she has come across as rather aggravated with the whole super hero thing constantly interfering with her and Tony being together, but maybe that can be her character arc here, coming to understand the need for it and volunteering.

Worldbreaker Hulk as payoff for the current Banner/Hulk crisis.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm not that invested. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think it would have been much more impactful if Infinity War ended and...that's it. Let Thanos win. Let the consequences of that win stay. I mean, you might have to alter some of the casualty rates (e.g. you wouldn't kill off Black Panther now after the acclaim of his first film), but you get the idea.

But as for what outcomes I'd want given the inevitability of a second life for half the universe, I guess I can nominate:

-Those who didn't die from the snap, have them stay dead (e.g. Loki and Gamora).

-Let Asgard be saved (as in its people - Thor saved them in Ragnarok, I figure if you're insisting on a happy ending, include them as well)

Apart from that, don't really care. However, I'm really dubious of Captain Marvel, in that you have what's effectively a new character coming from nowhere to save characters she's never seen, to fight a villain she's never seen, on the best of a man that can't be in the majority of Endgame. Stark had never interacted with the Guardians before, but they had two movies to flesh out their dynamic, plus a pre-existing link to Thanos.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The improbability of that aside, if you don't like the franchise why bother watching?
Cause I get paid to do it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
undeadsuitor said:
For the sequel to be A-Force
Given how shocked Feige and company were at the notion that fans might want "she-vengers", I find this incredibly unlikely. But given my hopes for Endgame mostly hinge on time travel and going back to stop them from going down this road with IW and Endgame, I think you have the more realistic hope.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The improbability of that aside, if you don't like the franchise why bother watching?
Dude if you're job is to watch/review movies, just do it. The rest of us have to pay.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dude if you're job is to watch/review movies, just do it. The rest of us have to pay.
I will, and you do. But the question was what I want from the movie, not whether I will watch it or not.
Also if getting paid voided criticism that would defeat the purpose of... criticism.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Something Amyss said:
undeadsuitor said:
Given how shocked Feige and company were at the notion that fans might want "she-vengers",
Dude "All the main characters are hot chicks" would be, like, the one way to get me to watch these movies again for any other reason than to passive-aggressively complain about them afterward.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Something Amyss said:
undeadsuitor said:
Given how shocked Feige and company were at the notion that fans might want "she-vengers",
Dude "All the main characters are hot chicks" would be, like, the one way to get me to watch these movies again for any other reason than to passive-aggressively complain about them afterward.
I imagine it'd be a draw for a lot of people, but the heads at Marvel couldn't even athom putting CarJo in a catsuit for 2 hours as a draw until Wonder Woman did it backwards and in high heels.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I will, and you do. But the question was what I want from the movie, not whether I will watch it or not.
Also if getting paid voided criticism that would defeat the purpose of... criticism.
But your criticism isn't that these movies are bad, its that these movies shouldn't exist. If you don't like them, say you don't like them in your review. Don't say 'They need to stop making these movies because I don't like them.'
That does invalidate your opinion. You're not paid to like them, you're paid to review them and that does require that they exist.

Jan 27, 2011
Since you specify outcomes...

Well, aside from "Most of the Dust-ees come back"...

I'm hoping for:

1) Gamora is somehow un-fridged or at least her death ends up being the thing that ends up screwing Thanos the most (Honestly, her death was the one thing in the movie I disliked). If she ended up being the MCU incarnation of Lady Death and had to cope with being permanently aware of all death in the universe, I'd find that real clever and give her lots of room to grow as a character.

2) Iron man / Stark going out in a blaze of glory. Bonus points if he gets to look Thanos in the eye as they both go out and stare the bastard down. As much as I love him as a character, I think he's gotten too big for the series.

3) Cap to be forced into retirement by some kind of injury (Cuz he won't do it voluntarily) and become the next Nick Fury advisor type character. He's my favourite character in the MCU, but he should totally take on a less active role now that his personal arc has reached its zenith.

4) The world to remain irrevocably changed by the ordeal, and become a more dangerous, chaotic place, rather than "more or less the real world, just with supers". This one is key. The MCU in general is due for a foundational shakeup. And making a world that's inherently dangerous and not under real control at all would leave a lot of room open.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
But your criticism isn't that these movies are bad, its that these movies shouldn't exist. If you don't like them, say you don't like them in your review. Don't say 'They need to stop making these movies because I don't like them.'
That does invalidate your opinion. You're not paid to like them, you're paid to review them and that does require that they exist.
Obviously my review isn't a throwaway thought on a forum board.
I enjoy most Marvel stuff on the basic level of a Saturday morning cartoon. They're as fun as something so divorced from real human comedy or drama can be. So fun, but meaningless.
What bothers me about Disney movies in general ("superhero" just happens to be the moneymaker these days) is that there's never any real lasting effect to anything, and there's a whiff of desperation to the increasing Super Size Me threats each movie comes up with. Every movie feels like a bluff. Civil War was the tipping point. Who cares about a "war" that takes up a single battle nobody wants to fight, where everybody pulls their punches, nobody dies (one guy hurts his leg, accidentally) and doesn't change the dynamic of the franchise in any significant or lasting way? Same with Infinity War. It's all just a series of fakeouts trying to sucker in viewers to keep up with cartoon melodrama so they can feel like they're part of a big, important thing.