What 's the meaning behind your name?

Apr 29, 2010
Now, I don't mean your username. That's for another thread entirely. What I mean is your real name, the name on your driver's licence, birth certificate, passport. The name given to you the day you were brought into this world. I ask because seeing as how this is a place populated by people of diverse ethnicities, hailing from every part of the world, the history behind our names would be as unique as us. Our names, our lineage, can all be traced back to a single point a long time ago. Doesn't matter if your name is very common where you live. It still has it's own meaning and history.

My name is Karyl. Now my name itself has no meaning that I know of. But the name it was derived from does. My name comes from the Arabic boy's name Kareem, whose meaning is "Gracious, Generous".

So Escapists, what's the meaning behind your name?

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
"God is my judge"

Which makes sense, my parents were religious. Bit redundant for me these days though. I don't think it'll get me out of earthly court either, so not very useful.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
My mother named me Dennis. No real significance other than it was my father's middle name (and it's a corruption of the Greek Dionysus, as in Bacchus, as in the god of all the fun debauchery---and it's also "sinned" spelled backwards.) Maybe my grandmother was on to something calling me the spawn of Satan (keep in mind she died when I was eight!)

However, by the end of the summer I'll have legally changed my first name to Fox, which I've been going by for...oh, about 14 years now. Symbolic break with a troubled past after I sobered up (alcohol and hard drugs, which I was strung out on from age 11 to 19.) The name means...well, exactly what you think it means. People over the years have told me the name fits, which is why it evolved beyond being a nickname/nom de guerre and became my actual name.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Kristian, Alternative spelling of Christian: Follower of Christ, Christ believer.
FML

(I was named so because it was the name of my grandfather, and his grandfather before him)

Gauntes

Jun 22, 2009
It reads 'The River of Golden Sky'
or something like that
Being Asian has its perks

MrLS

May 17, 2009
Andreas means Manly. So i'm manlier then all of you just based on my name alone, Hah!

Oh and my surname Engström would translate to something like Meadow stream. So i'm a Manly Meadow stream!

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
It's an Anglo-Saxon word meaning 'wealthy guardian'. The qualities associated include short temper, seriousness, changeability and protectiveness.

Cookies to whoever can guess what it is.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
First name means "champion", second name means "the chosen", mothers family name means "peacekeeper", father's family name means "saved in war".

Damn, it could be a good name for a War Hero. But no, I am just the average guy with a mediocre life. Not worth of the great name I carry. Maybe one day...

Tadd

Jan 22, 2010
Bob_Marley42 said:
"God is my judge"
Hello Daniel, we have the same name.

Actually I always use this as a semi-chat up line. Daniel meaning "God is my judge" or "God has judged". Gary meaning "spear". Tadd, taken from the word "tad" meaning small.

God has judged my spear small! AWESOME! Wins the ladies over everytime.

Emberwolf

Mar 7, 2010
Depends what country of origin I take. The Irish definition of Tegan is 'doe, a little deer'. The Welsh definition is 'poet or philosopher'. In Wales it's also listed as a boy's name, although I am very definitely female.

Either way, my dad liked the name because it's from Doctor Who. My mom agreed because it has a nice meaning and suited the fact that my dad is half Irish.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
"Exalted father" or "father or many" in Hebrew, depending on which origin you choose.

The father bit isn't the case just yet.

It's also Gaelic for "raven", but I don't think my parents had that in mind. I do have black hair. ^^;

Kaltazraza

Creepy dancing
Sep 10, 2008
First name is comming from Saint lawrence, and has been shorted to Lars, and it should mean laurel.
last name means after my mind, farm in the west, Westergaard.
also I'm named after my grandfather.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
superbatranger said:
Now, I don't mean your username. That's for another thread entirely. What I mean is your real name, the name on your driver's licence, birth certificate, passport. The name given to you the day you were brought into this world. I ask because seeing as how this is a place populated by people of diverse ethnicities, hailing from every part of the world, the history behind our names would be as unique as us. Our names, our lineage, can all be traced back to a single point a long time ago. Doesn't matter if your name is very common where you live. It still has it's own meaning and history.

My name is Karyl. Now my name itself has no meaning that I know of. But the name it was derived from does. My name comes from the Arabic boy's name Kareem, whose meaning is "Gracious, Generous".

So Escapists, what's the meaning behind your name?
karyl coming from kareem? Not to seem rude but I doubt that, a friend of mine named Karyl told me a name origin story about the name karyl, had nothing to do with coming from the Arabic language.

OT: I am Pakistani/Indian; but as a born and raised Muslim I have an Arabic name: Ammar, depending on how it's spelled (with which Arabic letter you use) it means either builder or creator; that or it means someone very pious/faithful, close to God (now if only that were true for me, it is for my dad though)

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
Nick/Nicholas is of Greek origin and means 'Victorious'.

So I guess 50 failed job applications and 30% maths exam scores are shows of victory.