What?s What in Thor

Ben Gepfrey

Aug 6, 2010
beema said:
MovieBob said:
...as realistically, it doesn't make much sense that "I'm reasonably skilled with a weapon that's been obsolete since the 1400s" stacks up all that much next to...
ehehehe
this made me laugh, as it's true that when examine the powers of a lot of Marvel heroes, they are pretty silly in realistic context. Like, somehow I doubt they are going to make an Avengers movie about Ant Man.
Actually that is exactly what Kevin Feige wants to do next. He has Edgar Wright(Dawn of the Dead) writing the script. In fact they are on the 3rd or 4th version of the script. I would not be surprised to see Ant-Man in 2013.

RTR said:
Also, since we're on the business of spoiling, I must ask this: given the ending of Thor, do you think Natalie Portman will, in some way, be in the Avengers?
i really wonder about the supporting characters in the movie, word is that Pepper Pots is not in the Avengers so I would be surprised to see Jane Foster.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
beema said:
MovieBob said:
...as realistically, it doesn't make much sense that "I'm reasonably skilled with a weapon that's been obsolete since the 1400s" stacks up all that much next to...
ehehehe
this made me laugh, as it's true that when examine the powers of a lot of Marvel heroes, they are pretty silly in realistic context. Like, somehow I doubt they are going to make an Avengers movie about Ant Man.
If they went for the Ultimate Giant/Ant man approach I'd love that -- that plotline was one of the most humanising things in the entire Ultimates series imo.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
RTR said:
Show of hands: how many of you expected to actually see Hawkeye's face and not just as a shadowy figure in, say, the background?
They did show his face. Several times. He also had a few lines, one of them being rather humorous. Granted he wasn't in his costume but all good things and all that.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Nice summary. I too was floored by the cosmic cube. Gave me chills, and made my GF really confused, haha.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
ultimate hawkeye killed 2 dudes by ripping off, then throwing his own finger nails at them. Judging by what i've seen of the cinama universe so far i.m sure its gonna be very much like the ultimate one. A kind of classic and ulti fusion. Taking the best of both. Too bad other studios have the rights to spidey and x-peeps :(

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I don't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure that information is not totally correct.

I believe you should have called it one of the Eyes of Agamotto.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Crimson_Dragoon said:
The Eye of Agamotto was in there? I feel horrible for missing that.
I thought it was the Eye of Sauron at first and did a "What the fuck?" in the theatre (silently).

These posts make me sad that we aren't in an alternate universe where me and bob are friends. These are some of my favorite website updates.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
One of the IMDB pages says that it is a piece of the BiFrost bridge at the end. Nope, recognised the cube. Which makes me hope that Thanos will be in Avengers, as he has a great story line... although it is more likely to be Loki or Skrulls or anything else...

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
I'm not sure it will be that much of a stretch for people to accept Hawkeye as a valuable member of the Avengers. As others have mentioned the guy's not just "reasonably good" with a bow and arrow. He's a master athlete and weapons maker who can whip out a trick arrow for any situation the writers decide to put him in. Also if were asked to accept the Black Widow as a member, who other than looking ridiculously hot has no super powers, then Hawkeye fits right in.

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
beema said:
MovieBob said:
ehehehe
Edagar Wright (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) and Joe Cornish (Attack the Block) have been confirmed to be making an Ant Man movie. I'll definitely watch it.

death525

Aug 29, 2009
A friend of said that the black guy Thor was fighting might be Luke Cage since he was pretty much able to hold his own against Thor for a while.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
death525 said:
A friend of said that the black guy Thor was fighting might be Luke Cage since he was pretty much able to hold his own against Thor for a while.
It's possible but unlikely. You have to remember that Thor was still a human when they fought, so it was really just a 7 ft tall Aryan dream versus a 7 ft tall Aryan nightmare.

Was he in the new New Avengers after Civil War, because I know he sided with Captain America so it would make sense? I did like him as Power Man when he was apart of the Fantastic Four.

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
Bob, you made a mistake with Hawkeye/Bullseye. He's not just really good with a bow and arrow. He's insanely accurate with anything. One of those guys where if it looks like it missed, you wait a second and you know it bounces back and hits his target.

I like him best when he's teamed up with Deadpool (with their 'friendship' they have going)

Anyone else strongly believe Deadpool has to be involved in the avengers? Or atleast there will be a nod to him.
1) Hawkeye/Bullseye is an old friend of Deadpool's
2) Infinity Gauntlet - used by Thanos to destroy cultures to impress Death. Except Death doesn't love Thanos, Death loves Deadpool so Thanos is doing and will do everything in his power to keep Deadpool alive

I'm sure there's other little hints that Deadpool will get involved but those are the two ones that makes me hope.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
Therumancer said:
Bob, Hawkeye isn't just "really skilled with a bow and arrow", he's also a mutant with incredible eyesight similar to that of a Hawk if I recall (hence the name) letting him see things miles away.
Nope. He's never been a mutant. Ultimate Hawkeye had had his vision enhanced, but he was never a mutant.
Not sure if I agree with you. Not argueing for arguement's sake, but there seem to be sources that agree with both of us, so it's kind of pointless. :)

I remember this discussion coming up a few times when I was doing super hero RPGs, and I'd point out that one thing that has resolved arguements is his write up from the old Marvel Super Heroes RPG, which was at the time liscensed to TSR, but they wound up losing it apparently due to contract disputes with TSR claiming they had a right to contant character/materials updates and so on from upcoming storylines to keep the RPG current with the comics. This revolving around their game-stats encyclopedias which also included character backrounds and so on, and which were apparently the big thing selling the game at the time so they of course wanted to be able to get current updates out as fast as possible so they could sell the new stats to the RPGers without having the info be a year or two behind, etc...

At any rate it took some doing but:

http://classicmarvelforever.com/cast/hawkeye.htm

Under that system the terms "Excellent, Remarkable, etc..." actually coorespong to attribute, it just doen't use the same kind of numerical system of other RPGs. He is listed as having powers (seperate from his equipment based powers) and having "Remarkable Vision" which is a power ranking lets him see up to a mile away, and up to ten miles away with a successful feat roll of green, and I think 100 miles with a red (critical) feat roll. I don't have the rules anymore (might be boxed up somewhere) but Remarkable is not an insignifigant power, albiet not one that that's anywhere near the cosmic levels (it goes feeble, poor, typical, good, excellent, remarkable, incredible, amazing, monsterous, unearthly, shift X, shift y, shift Z, class 1000, class 3000, class 5000, beyond. Most of those ranks actually only coming into play when dealing cosmic entities and trying to resolve questions like "okayz, who is MORE omnipotent". Beyond of course being a referance to "The Beyonder" who was pretty much the uber-mench at that time, even if he was later better defined, and cut down in power substanatially.

This being published substantially before "The Ultimate Universe" however. This was around the time frame when we had Cameron Hodge's immortal Mephisto-Ressurected head running Genosha and stuff like that if I remember.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Therumancer said:
I'm familiar with the Marvel Superheroes game, although I'm not sure it's supposed to be canonical. Even if it is, I don't see any mention of him being a mutant in your link.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
Therumancer said:
I'm familiar with the Marvel Superheroes game, although I'm not sure it's supposed to be canonical. Even if it is, I don't see any mention of him being a mutant in your link.
Fair enough point, I'll concede this one. I only brought that up because I've had the discussion before, and remembered that as one possible source given all of the stuff surrounding the RPG when it was in print.

The point though is that in the write up, they listed his vision as a power, not as the result of equipment as was specified for his arrows and so on. That means it's being defined as an innate trait, and since we can pretty much rule out his being an alien, mystically empowered, or so on, that doesn't leave a heck of a lot of options. But it's neither here nor there since as I said, I'm conceding the point. Knowing my luck I'll probably find something six months from now though, because I'm pretty sure he was defined as having a vision power beyond an RPG appearance.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
death525 said:
You would need a whole movie's worth of backstory and setup to make me believe that Luke Cage would ever take orders from the government. At least three kidnapped loved ones.

pdgeorge said:
Bob, you made a mistake with Hawkeye/Bullseye.
Unless I've missed a bunch of weird-ass developments (which I do not discount out of hand. Comics are weird, after all), Hawkeye, the Avenger, is not Bullseye, the Kingpin's sometime assassin.

pdgeorge said:
Anyone else strongly believe Deadpool has to be involved in the avengers? Or atleast there will be a nod to him.
Fox still owns the rights to Deadpool, I believe.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i was actually disappointed when i saw the cube. I mean it's nice and all but i always thought of the cosmic cubes as a really lazy storytelling device. Then again, this could make for some surreal scenes in the Avengers movie so i am game.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Therumancer said:
Bob, Hawkeye isn't just "really skilled with a bow and arrow", he's also a mutant with incredible eyesight similar to that of a Hawk if I recall (hence the name) letting him see things miles away. On top of this he's a gadgeteer who creates arrows for that bow of his that pretty much do anything the plot demands. He needs an arrow that's non lethal, short circuits robots, freezes someone in a block of ice, lets out a massive sonic burst to hurt the ears or whatever, this guy pretty much has it. He's pretty much the quintessential "power pool" character from certain Super Hero RPGs, because like Batman's Utility belt, despite pretensions of realism, this guy by definition always has exactly the right gizmo the plot requires.
It's already been addressed by someone else, but Hawkeye is not a mutant, nor does he have any powers (excluding the period he was Goliath via pym particles). But like Bullseye he does posess an insane amount of accuracy that defies realism. There's no in universe explaination other then he trained very hard.

His gadgets do make sense though unlike some of Batman's. He keeps normal arrows in his quiver and a few ready to go trick arrows. But his pouches contain all the different trick-heads and he screws them over the arrow. So it's not like he has an arrow for every occaison, but an arrow-head. A tiny bit more believable.

MovieBob said:
But that's of course the fun thing about the Avengers. They're more of a ragtag group of different power levels than the pantheon of god like beings the JLA is.