What Skyrim Learned from Fallout 3

Venereus

May 9, 2010
dragongit said:
If they can learn anything from their previous games, is to make a PC launch that isn't buggy.
Their games are buggy on all platforms. If anything, they should focus the least on the PC for the fixing, since modders can finish the job (again).

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Also repeating having a total of 3 cave systems in your game then re-using them 100 times is just amateur.
Well, they've hired thirty (I think, probably over-guessing) new level designers, so that won't be an issue.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I approve of everything Howard says.

I live for those 'little scenes' scattered around; they really help the world to come alive.

Can't wait 'til end of exams. :D

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Spencer Petersen said:
Valok said:
EverythingIncredible said:
And on that same topic, don't have an ending that ends your game and prevents you from playing after the events of the main storyline.
Pretty much this.

I simply hated that system on Fallout 3 and after all the complains and a DLC to open the world again guess what? They've done the same shit on New Vegas.
Having the game continue after the end is a shitty excuse to make the story meaningless. I'd rather have the story come to a satisfying conclusion and end on a high note than just roll credits and pop back up without anything changing.

Here's an idea. Put a clear PONR that the game autosaves at and can be accessed at any time to allow you to avoid being locked into the ending unwittingly. That way you can get your side-quest on after completing the game with a simple quick-load.
It worked with every other open world game, why not here? Look at Grand Theft Auto. I'm sorry but unlocking some of the best items in the game DURING the last mission of New Vegas really sucked hardcore. The Blade of the East is one of the few examples.

Open world games are generally filled with too much side quests to have the game just end. Especially the way that the Fallout games end.

The player shouldn't have to put playing the main quests on pause for fear of not being able to do side quests later. As we know with Bethesda's open world games, the main quests can be beaten in under 10 hours with little effort.

I hope that you can play the game after the main story, that was too big of flaw in the recent Fallout games to ignore.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Gone is Oblivion's monster leveling system where all enemies progressed at the same pace that your character did. "Skyrim's a lot more like Fallout 3, where as you level up you are going to see harder things, but the easier things stay around as well." said Howard. "You'll still run into the weaker stuff and you'll just decimate it."
I know this has been mentioned before, but my reaction is still the same:
The constant level scaling was one of my biggest gripes about Oblivion. I'm so happy they're doing away with it.

Aug 1, 2010
This is fantastic!

Fallout 3 is STILL my favorite game of all time and this can only mean good thing.

P.S. Someone doesn't know what "decimate" means.....
/definition nazi

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Valok said:
Pretty much this.

I simply hated that system on Fallout 3 and after all the complains and a DLC to open the world again guess what? They've done the same shit on New Vegas.
There is a very legitimate reason as to why New Vegas had no post-ending gameplay. I've had to explain it so many times that I just can't be bothered anymore. I'm pretty sure you should be able to figure it out by yourself.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I think when people complain about how much the story in Fallout 3 sucked, they missed the point of the game completely. The game worked much better in an exploratory, episodic manner (quests), as do RPGs in general. An over-arching story is good, but not necessary to have an awesome game.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
None of this is really new information, but it sounds like they're getting it right this time.

16 days...

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
The level scaling is being changed?
Oh fuck yes.

I wasn't hyped for Skyrim at first, never liked Oblivion, but seeing some of the changes to systems like magic, levelling and classes have definately placed it up on my "Must grab if I have any extra cash" list.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
I'm actually surprised by the lack of Fallout 3 hate (I said lack, not absence)

I've learned to put up with the problems Fallout 3 had, it was one of the few games that I've stayed up until five to play. Bethesda just got me this much closer to wanting Skyrim (I really wasn't all that crazy about it before)

Sagacious Zhu

Oct 17, 2011
Level scaling is good but I don't want to be mobbed by level two mudcrabs every time I go home. It'd be like Zubats in Mt.Moon all over again...

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I hope they also improve the combat.

Oblivion: run backwards, sing sword, block, run backwards, cast spell, etc.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
"You'll still run into the weaker stuff and you'll just decimate it."

Exactly what I wanted to hear. If I wanted to have my ass stomped even at the HIGHER levels, I'd play Dark Souls again.

I play BethSoft games to get super freakin' strong and be able to stomp out the weak little fuckers in hordes and take down the bosses/behemoth enemies as if they were lesser than me.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011

Quick story:
The only game from Bethesda I've ever played is Fallout 3.
Fallout 3 is currently sitting in the #3 spot of my "Worst games ever" list. Number. Three. It was only outdone in shityness by Kane and Lynch 2 and Metroid Other M.
Needless to say, Bethesda found it's way to my list of worst developers because of it.

Now I've been glancing at Skyrim every few weeks and I actually thought that it looked like Bethesda was a going through a phase with the development of Fallout 3 where some sort of narcotic found it's way into the building's water supply... actually, if that did happen, Fallout 3 probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as dull, so it was probably something else.

Now I hear that they modelled a fair amount of Skyrim off of Fallout 3. Looks like I won't be paying anymore attention to Skyrim... or any near future Bethesda game. Oh well.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
ruthaford_jive said:
Hopefully they put a few machine guns in Skyrim... that would make things badass. I can imagine it now, my character riding on a dragon, my awesome bandanna of infinite ammo flailing in the wind, totting duel M240s in my arms as I descend upon a helpless village.
Now imagine the dragon is Trogdor. Did you grow a beard immediately when you thought that?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Woohoo to more environmental storytelling, but let's hope they stay away from Fallout 3's hackneyed dialogue and poor main plot. Oh who am I kidding, it's Bethesda, I pretty much expect that from them. Regardless I look forward to it, because goddammit I want to climb some mountains.