What superpower would you choose?

Dec 14, 2009
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

I'd have something akin to the 'Devil Trigger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode]' from Devil May Cry.

Immense speed, strength, stamina and health boost as well as the ability to fly and use electricity based projectiles, but it's a form that can't be sustained and takes time to recharge.

So, say for instance, I'm pretty much an unstoppable force for 10 minutes, but I have to wait an hour before I use it again.

So whatever I fight, I have to win quickly or use the last moments of the form to retreat and recover strength.
I vividly remember the Devil Trigger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode] elemental boosts varied depending on what Devil Arms you wielded. Present in DMC 1 and 3, not so much in 4 and different system present in 2.
I like the way they implemented it in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Vergil, for instance, would get a speed boost and a 20% damage boost, while Dante wouldn't get the speed boost, received a 15% damage boost but gained access to certain abilities while in that form (including flight and electricity projectiles). Both would also recover the red portion of their health while in the form (red health can be recovered when that character is tagged out, but DT recovers it while they're in play, and significantly boosts the recovery when tagged out).

The downside is that while in Devil Trigger, neither character can build meter (the bar that allows them to pull of hyper combos), so you've got to build meter first, so you've got enough to fall back on while in DT.
For the record, im well aware of how their Devil Triggers work in UMvC3. It also makes an excellent canceller for things like Vergil's Rapid Slash and Dante's Crazy Dance.

In DMC3 (which UMvC3 Dante and Vergil are taken from), you only got new moves for Devil Trigger if you were wielding Nevan. And those were Air Raid, Vortex and Thunderbolt. Otherwise it granted you hitstun resistance, extra speed and slight health regen.

On a side note, in DMC1 its impied that Devil Trigger is impossible for half-demons without an awakened Devil Arm, no problem for Dante who brought Rebellion, Cerberus, Agni & Rudra, Nevan and Beowulf to the party (in UMvC3). And Vergil has Yamato. Depending on what you Devil Arm turns out as, you may want a side of either Implausible Fencing Powers, Improbable Weapon User and Implausible Aiming Skills.
I'd say I wouldn't want to have implausible fencing...

But that would be a lie :D

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Being able to stop time. Honestly, I wouldn't become a superhero or a supervillain, I'd just have fun with it. Stop time and finish essays, nap wherever I want... steal food. You know, practical stuff! And nobody would know. Invisibility is cool and all but for the ability to be a thief and a mysterious unknown hero at the same time, I think I'd rather have the world freeze.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

I'd have something akin to the 'Devil Trigger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode]' from Devil May Cry.

Immense speed, strength, stamina and health boost as well as the ability to fly and use electricity based projectiles, but it's a form that can't be sustained and takes time to recharge.

So, say for instance, I'm pretty much an unstoppable force for 10 minutes, but I have to wait an hour before I use it again.

So whatever I fight, I have to win quickly or use the last moments of the form to retreat and recover strength.
I vividly remember the Devil Trigger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode] elemental boosts varied depending on what Devil Arms you wielded. Present in DMC 1 and 3, not so much in 4 and different system present in 2.

Vergil, for instance, would get a speed boost and a 20% damage boost, while Dante wouldn't get the speed boost, received a 15% damage boost but gained access to certain abilities while in that form (including flight and electricity projectiles). Both would also recover the red portion of their health while in the form (red health can be recovered when that character is tagged out, but DT recovers it while they're in play, and significantly boosts the recovery when tagged out).

The downside is that while in Devil Trigger, neither character can build meter (the bar that allows them to pull of hyper combos), so you've got to build meter first, so you've got enough to fall back on while in DT.
For the record, im well aware of how their Devil Triggers work in UMvC3. It also makes an excellent canceller for things like Vergil's Rapid Slash and Dante's Crazy Dance.

In DMC3 (which UMvC3 Dante and Vergil are taken from), you only got new moves for Devil Trigger if you were wielding Nevan. And those were Air Raid, Vortex and Thunderbolt. Otherwise it granted you hitstun resistance, extra speed and slight health regen.

On a side note, in DMC1 its impied that Devil Trigger is impossible for half-demons without an awakened Devil Arm, no problem for Dante who brought Rebellion, Cerberus, Agni & Rudra, Nevan and Beowulf to the party (in UMvC3). And Vergil has Yamato. Depending on what you Devil Arm turns out as, you may want a side of either Implausible Fencing Powers, Improbable Weapon User and Implausible Aiming Skills.

That said, if i had to choose out of the Devil Arms, id take the electric guitar Nevan.

Dec 14, 2009
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

That said, if i had to choose out of the Devil Arms, id take the electric guitar Nevan.

Fuck Dante, that prick can't decide what he wants to use.

Cocky bastard, put a shirt on :D

That's why I like Vergil so much more.

Megawat22

Aug 7, 2010
The ability to control rocks and earth, like the Earthbenders from Avatar.
Close quarter combat? Rock armour and then hit them like a ton of bricks (literally), choke people with a deadly mud facial, topple buildings by weakening the ground beneath them or just take out the lower floors if I can.
I like to think it's balanced by the fact that tanks have consistently proven that an explosive shell or just some heavier rounds make short work of rock, people and just about everything.
It's also incredibly useless in day to day activities like getting to work, making breakfast or doing anything not superhero/ villain related.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

Cocky bastard, out a shirt on :D

He may not know what he wants to use, but he damn sure makes a good show of it. The Reverb Shock in UMvC3 doesnt do justice to the one you get in DMC3. Dante slides forward on his knees then explodes with lightning and electrified bats. All while playing the chords.

Vergil in DMC3 however, lock on and mash sword attack and range attack at the same time while melee combo cancelling with weapon switches. Against anything up to Damned Chesspieces, Fallen Angels and Hells Vanguards youre a flurry of blade strikes backed up by the barrage provided by the Summoned Swords.

Dec 14, 2009
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

He may not know what he wants to use, but he damn sure makes a good show of it. The Reverb Shock in UMvC3 doesnt do justice to the one you get in DMC3. Dante slides forward on his knees then explodes with lightning and electrified bats. All while playing the chords.

Vergil in DMC3 however, lock on and mash sword attack and range attack at the same time while melee combo cancelling with weapon switches. Against anything up to Damned Chesspieces, Fallen Angels and Hells Vanguards youre a flurry of blade strikes backed up by the barrage provided by the Summoned Swords.
Yeah, I'm definately picking up the DMC HD Collection.

I still haven't gotten around to playing DMC4 yet, but I haven't heard good things about it.

DeltaWolfson

May 9, 2011
Healing powers, be able fix and cure anything on any living thing? I would be the most paid doctor on the planet.

May 17, 2010
The ability to make anyone think I'm right and agree with me. So yeah I could just be shot in the head by someone who is mute but I could easily make a man agree to set his child on fire.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

Yeah, I'm definately picking up the DMC HD Collection.

I still haven't gotten around to playing DMC4 yet, but I haven't heard good things about it.
Its very much on par with DMC3. Not better, Capcom storywriters saw to that, but since theese are games where youre focusing on the gameplay i can say it does some things better than DMC3 at the cost of overall variety. I wont delve too deep.

But if theres one standout scene im happy to reference, its this one.

Also if you have a gamepad, get it on PC for the Legendary Dark Knight mode. The Steam version has no GfWL lurking in the background waiting to fuck up the next 2 hours of your life, and being as old as it is performance issues shouldnt really come up... until you play the afore mentioned Legendary Dark Knight mode. Its even got a DirectX 10 mode, and a performance tester.

And even if you dont have a gamepad, you could probably get away with keyboard controls like i did.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
The ability to manipulate kinetic force, but i have to be in a state of awareness to absorb said energy, from either fists or bullets, then use the "Stored" energy to either lend a bit of power to my punches, super jumps, but only if i had the stored energy.
Or just plain ole pyromancy. Because lets face it, burning stuff is fun as hell.(i would balance this out by not being *entirely* flame proof, and my super secret weakness is asbestos.

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
Shape-shifting. And maybe the weakness is I can only shift into something I've come into contact with so not anything from my imagination. Kind of like that old book series animorphs but it would work on living or inanimate objects.

I don't know if that breaks the initial guideline b/c to beat the tank I just need to go find a bigger tank and touch it.

And unlike all those fancy ice and fire magics this one still covers the 'sneak into girls locker room' ability which I thought was the whole reason for ppl wanting magic powers in the first place.

(I kid...mostly)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Swyftstar said:
arc1991 said:
Telekinesis: Being move objects, bend them to any shape and fly with my mind is fine by me!

The "Limit" of this power would be like in the movie Chronicle...do something to fast, or try to lift something that is way to fucking big, causes nosebleeds, headaches etc...Ooooh also my powers can't affect living things, however i can throw an object into said living thing...
Ninja'd. I'd go with this too. It just seems like it would be the most useful power. Although I think I'd rather go with the Invisible Woman's force field version of it rather than the usual thought of telekenesis. Off topic, I never got around to seeing Chronicle. How was it?
It's an awesome film. The camera is like how it was in Cloverfield, or Paranormal Activity, but in my opinion, it's the only film that's used it and done in the most effective way.

Really worth getting on DVD when it's released.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Call me narrow minded, but I would really just want the power to punch people through the internet. Someone says or does something stupid? POW, right in the kisser.

I promise I will only use my powers for good...

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Finger Guns! Like that one scene in Metal Gear Solid 4 where Liquid ocelot points at a helicopter and says bang and the helicopter crashes. Could have some fun with that.