What the Hell Is Going On With E3?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
So far the only thing really catching my interest this E3 has been the Vita TV coming to the US and Europe. I've actually wanted one so I could play some of the more console like titles on the big screen while also having the ability to just grab and go with my games. Otherwise I haven't seen enough to really feel strongly about any of the announcements.

FLCLstuff

Not scared. Much.
May 27, 2014
I agree that E3 is mostly about host A, B, and C spewing marketing jargon like: firsts, bests, and exclusives. However, I also think a little perspective helps when making decisions about this year's E3. Last year was all about pushing the latest hardware out (Xbox) and then shaking what was left in the proverbial bag for games (Sony & Microsoft). Compared to that, I was pleased by how many titles that would be available in 2014 as well as potential games for 2015. Keep in mind both Microsoft and Sony were promoting Indie development more this year than any past E3 I can remember offhand. I try to remember that E3 is an event where I see the most coverage for multiple prospective games and hardware coming out this year in one day. ...Then again, I'll probably won't remember any of it once the hype wears off.

Personally, I'd be happy to see a Golden Croshaw Festival for games and developers that ultimately deserve their due recognition.

Games I took note of was Playdead's Inside, Rainbow Six Siege, and No Man's Sky.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Daaamn, that's cold!

I agree though. I've been increasingly disappointed with these publishers to the point that I hardly even care about any of them anymore. I'm apathetic to 90% of the companies showing at E3 because they've all disappointed me by overhyping incredibly shallow, derivative, gaming experiences. They have all gotten worse at making games while their budgets have been increased. These games have become as Shakespeare wrote in Macbeth; "...A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Preface: The second day of E3 has just wrapped up as I write this. (Tuesday 2014-06-10)

First I want to address the AAA-budget vs. low-budget games debacle. I was really impressed with Sony's conference. It seemed independent developers were on stage as much as the AAA ones. No one is going to forget No Man's Sky for a good long time! Then there was that one about the two souls, with controls like Brothers. Even Microsoft showed of Inside, which is from the same folks as Limbo and they had that ID@Xbox program.

As for the problem with hype -- yes, the disparity between coverage received by AAA and indie games is a problem. I personally enjoy the spectacle of E3. I enjoy hyping up and freaking out. I wish there were more indie games at events like these; I wish they received more coverage. It all comes down to money and the amounts the fat cats think they'll reel in from it. I've unfortunately only come to my senses and started vigorously voting with my wallet since the past year or so. Until I buy their game, the hype machine hasn't shown its effect. I take every opportunity to direct money at things other than Microsoft, Sony, EA, or Ubisoft specifically (among others). I wait for reviews and then read lots of them. I wait for sales and price reductions (Also, can I just say CDProjektRed X GOG.com is the best ship of all time?).

Really though, I just want to play some good vidya games.

The Palme D'Or thing sounds like a neat idea. I would like something like that. I suppose there's also PAX, Gamescom, Indie Games Festival, Dragon Con, Comic Con (to an extent) for different kinds of games regardless of budget.

The main thing I've learned from recent events is to not base your assumptions off exhibitions like E3. Most notably Watch_Dogs. I was hoping for "next-gen defining" stuff, we all were.. instead I got a mediocre game that didn't even run well or look that good on a high end PC.

Everything is subject to change.. especially if it's a publisher who only cares about taking $60 from you AND some change.

Coolblue

Feb 18, 2014
Hero of Lime said:
elvor0 said:
Nintendos presentation was the only one that felt genuine, they had the actual devs talking about their games, even the CEOs are actual avid gamers and not suits with their faces superglued into smiles, spewing buzzwords and spinning about it being "best on Playstation/xbox" and taking potshots at each other without actually saying anything of substance.

Nintendo and The Witcher 3 had genuinely enthusiastic presentations where they basically just said, we want you to have fun, here's what we've got, enjoy. No bollocks, no fluff.

Yoshis wooly adventure, Splatoon; actually innovative, but do I hear Nintendo saying anything of the sort? No, they just show it to you. You decide if it's innovative from what you've seen, not because you've been told "This is unique and innovative, pushing the frontier of gaming for gamers, because it's best on playstation".

From Nintendos presentation I'm absoloutely going to buy a Wii U.
Pretty much how I feel. I still enjoyed seeing the Playstation and Xbox presentations, but I liked the sense of fun Nintendo offered. Sure they had the shortest presentation showing the fewest games, but looking at so many comments online, I think they convinced a lot of people to either buy, or consider getting a Wii U.

I also feel the line about publishers being the enemy a little silly. In the end, they are at our mercy when it comes to sales. After watching all the conferences yesterday, I was only impressed by a few games. Last time I checked, the publishers weren't holding a gun to my head demanding I buy at least one of their games.
Yeah, I really loved Nintendo's press conference this year too, though I am happy to see Microsoft recover after their enormous blunder last year.

Also, Yahtzee is wrong. Everyone is going to be kicked in their everything. I also blame him for that fucking Captain Toad game announcement, that is something we don't need. Though at least now Nintendo really can corner the market on sleeping aids.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Alterego-X said:
"Hey, remember when improved graphics still awed people?"
Improved graphics can still awe people, right now consoles are hitting the 1024 mark for average texture but Skyrim could do 4096 and NPC's or PC's would even have visible pores on the skin. that's not even talking the quality difference in everything you don't look at that sits in the background. then talk poly counts for the 3d models with 4096 textures and you can get a near photo quality. We do not have that yet and not even close as full %100 4096 textures will fill the vram up on the top of the line video cards for a game that is now years old and dated. Todays consoles would melt trying to do that and thus everything presented at E3 will be far less than it could be graphics wise.

Just look at some of the screenshots VictoriaG has made for Skyrim then compare to vanilla Skyrim and you will see a world of difference, anything at E3 will be less quality graphics than her screenshots unless prerendered and %100 hype. Quality graphics that can be done to wow players. but near 10 years of the same hardware kills that.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think they need to cancel showing cgi that looks like ingame or atleast label it as "not ingame footage".

Worst thing about E3 for me is the disappointment. Like the new Batman game, everything to do with the Batmobile was a disappointment, especially that shitty slow tank it turns into. An the boring slow shooting at other drone tanks. Rest of it looks awesome, hoping there is not much Batmobile stuff in the game.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
You know? I hear Yahtzee say that you shouldn't get excited, but that you should be open to the possibility of the things shown at E3 being good, but... i just don't agree with it. Should we really be so scared of disappointment that we disconnect our emotions from the thing we love? I don't get it.

The cynicism is just far too toxic for my taste and i still wanna be able to get excited for games, i like getting hyped up even if it's just for the duration of E3 and then let it deflate into cautious optimism later.

When i saw "Directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki" before the FromSoftware logo i had a little moment of true excitement. Same for when the NaughtyDog logo came on to tease the new Uncharted game. These are things i genuinely get hyped up about and damned be anyone who says i "shouldn't" do that.