What the hell is S rank, anyway?

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I've always wondered what "S" rank really meant. This is of an interest to me, because I have been seeing it more and more lately. I suppose "S" may stand for Super, but I've always been unsure of the exact meaning of this.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
SimuLord said:
Perhaps the Japanophiles can riddle me this:

What's with the use of the letter S in ranking systems in Japanese games? Every time I've played one it's always seemed to be E, D, C, B, A, S for letter-grade rankings, and I JUST DUN GEDDIT!

At least Mario Kart makes a measure of sense, where if you do better than A, you get up to three stars, and It Is Always Stars. But S? The hell?
I can answer that. Did you remember your elementary school report? We (i suppose you do) were graded from E to A. When we perform beyond what was asked of us, usually the teacher would leave a message like: That Super, Super work, Super Homework, Super is ready (ok, that one for the lolz) That's to boost the kid ego and encourage him to do that extra work everytime.
That where the S come from, it was a super mark that you had on your homework.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Akalistos said:
SimuLord said:

What's with the use of the letter S in ranking systems in Japanese games? Every time I've played one it's always seemed to be E, D, C, B, A, S for letter-grade rankings, and I JUST DUN GEDDIT!

At least Mario Kart makes a measure of sense, where if you do better than A, you get up to three stars, and It Is Always Stars. But S? The hell?
I can answer that. Did you remember your elementary school report? We (i suppose you do) were graded from E to A. When we perform beyond what was asked of us, usually the teacher would leave a message like: That Super, Super work, Super Homework, Super is ready (ok, that one for the lolz) That's to boost the kid ego and encourage him to do that extra work everytime.
Well, except for in America the "E" grade doesn't exist---it goes A-B-C-D-F, with pluses and minuses to mark gradations between the grade (except for the A level, which has a minus but no place I've ever been in school has handed out an A+ grade.)

Speaking of the A grade, I just went 14-for-14 in getting A grades in my classes since I returned to school. Even got the Outstanding Accounting Student of the Year award from the Dean of Business. There's your "S" mark right there!

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
SimuLord said:
Akalistos said:
SimuLord said:

Well, except for in America the "E" grade doesn't exist---it goes A-B-C-D-F, with pluses and minuses to mark gradations between the grade (except for the A level, which has a minus but no place I've ever been in school has handed out an A+ grade.)

Speaking of the A grade, I just went 14-for-14 in getting A grades in my classes since I returned to school. Even got the Outstanding Accounting Student of the Year award from the Dean of Business. There's your "S" mark right there!
Well i got a Super on more than one paper in elementary and E was use instead of F. (maybe because FAIL start with a F) I was living in a small rural town back then so F would have been; pull that dumbass out of school and make him work in the barn, that the best he will ever get.

Now that i think of that, there were a kid that had tremendously bad grade but since he helped on his parent's farm, had the equivalent of Megaman's Fully charged Buster Gun for a arm. He even knocked out someone during Dodge ball for a few minute. I wonder where he is now...

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I assumed it stood for Super rare ultra chocolate covered rare mega awesome.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
In the context of games and not school:
D is dreadful
C is crap
B is bad
A is average
S is supreme

Most people are expected to get an A rank their first time through. So if you want to challenge people, give them a higher rank to work towards. Thus the supreme S rank. This isn't the official reason, it just makes sense to me.

GothWolf117

Apr 27, 2010
in Ace Combat 6 you need an S rating for all 15 missions on all the difficulties higher than Easy (meaning Normal, Hard, Expert and Ace) to get one of the medals. considering how painful it was to get this in some of the levels (particularly mission 13 on Expert and Ace), i'm thinking S may stand for Sadistic.

funny story, even on Easy it isn't easy to get some of the S ratings...

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
SimuLord said:
It isn't as bad as Devil May Cry 3. D, C, B, A, S, SS, SSS. The fuck? Why repeat the S's. Thankfully Devil May Cry adds words to their letters. Dope, Cool, Blast, Alright, Sweet, SShowtime, SSStylish. If you want to use that scale to answer your question go for it. I certainly do.

Vinculi

Jan 15, 2009
X3heartless said:
It means Samuel.He's a cool guy.
Could it mean "Samuel" as in "L. Jackson"? Because then I could understand why it is such a high achievment.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Vinculi said:
X3heartless said:
It means Samuel.He's a cool guy.
Could it mean "Samuel" as in "L. Jackson"? Because then I could understand why it is such a high achievment.
Or Samuel as in me...

I wonder which Samuel gets the higher achievement. Some random dude on the Internet or a movie star that people like...