What type of gamer annoys you most?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
So we all have that one subculture of gamer that just pisses you off almost every time you see, hear or read what they say. So what is it for you?

Now, let's not turn this into a flame war thread. So try to give your points actual reasoning, and refrain from making huge generalizations. And if you see someone who's opinion you don't like, ignore. Now, let's get on with the thread.

As for my one. I've got to say the kind of gamer who only likes games when they're "artsy" and "deep". The one who looks over everything if the story and the characters aren't good. Now, I'm not talking about people who actually do want games to be held in higher regard, Extra Credits is a good example of how to get it right. But when you basically say "the game is held back by more gamey elements", then you should really turn your attention away from games and go look at another art-form. It's like someone who thinks he's an artist saying "Oh, this art isn't good because there are too many paints used". It's trying to pretend that something is what it's not.

Paulo Belato

May 26, 2012
I have a friend that refuses to play a lot of games based on the graphics not being "shiny" enough for him (if it isn't 3D graphics, he will most likely ignore the game). These types of people annoy me a little because they refuse to play games that have great mechanics because of graphics.

Dec 14, 2009
Probably metagamers, you know the types.

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Because fun sucks, am I right?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Holy shit, I just saw a joke about that. And I agree, metagamers are annoying. But to me not the most annoying.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Gamers that think they are better than other gamers because of their "l33t rig" or they can "360 no scopes with an controller", but what annoys me even more is when gamers who aren't like this turn into them when someone disagrees with their opinions(watch the dayz forums they keep calling hackers "script kiddies" but when someone disagrees with them/makes a thread that have been discussed before they say "cool story bro" or troll), griefers and people who ***** about OP weapons when they are not OP.

moo.se

Aug 26, 2012
Paulo Belato said:
I have a friend that refuses to play a lot of games based on the graphics not being "shiny" enough for him (if it isn't 3D graphics, he will most likely ignore the game). These types of people annoy me a little because they refuse to play games that have great mechanics because of graphics.
I'm going to have to agree with this. There's a co-worker of mine, and every time a game comes out I'll show him the trailer and he will comment on nothing more than his impression on the graphics. If they're not breath taking he will just completely lose interest.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
People who moan about things being OP, I cannot enjoy Super Smash Bro anymore because they moan about that character is OP and that level choice is unfair. Even worse if they moan about it in single player games. It's single player who cares if something is over powered. Guarantee that those same people will moan when features are taken out, but where likely taken out because of them moaning about it being OP.

Captcha: strike a match. Don't tempt me captcha.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
The unapologetic misogynist hordes that have been cropping up as of late seemingly outraged by the notion of change.
I can only hope that the day when disgusting troglodytes like them are finally ostracized from the community is coming soon.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Wait, that is an usage of "metagamer" I am unfamiliar with. What is that type? And what do you mean by "Fox only" and "Final Destination"?

OT: I have a friend that doesn't like "medieval games". Basically anything set in medieval-like setting - most RPGs but also RTSes and so on. It's not like he doesn't like medieval times or anything, he just dislikes the games...for no other apparent reason. So yeah, I find disliking games on an arbitrary criteria annoying.

Dec 14, 2009
DoPo said:
Daystar Clarion said:

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Wait, that is an usage of "metagamer" I am unfamiliar with. What is that type? And what do you mean by "Fox only" and "Final Destination"?

OT: I have a friend that doesn't like "medieval games". Basically anything set in medieval-like setting - most RPGs but also RTSes and so on. It's not like he doesn't like medieval times or anything, he just dislikes the games...for no other apparent reason. So yeah, I find disliking games on an arbitrary criteria annoying.
To put it another way, metagamers are players who will use the established 'best strategy' in a game, regardless of whether it's actually fair or not, all for the purpose of winning at all costs.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
DoPo said:
Daystar Clarion said:

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

To put it another why, metagamers are players who will use the established 'best strategy' in a game, regardless of whether it's actually fair or not, all for the purpose of winning at all costs.
Ah, I see. The Fox and Final Destination things threw me off, since I didn't recognise them. But yeah, I do know that term, I only haven't seen it used a lot in video games. It's quite popular in PnP RPGs, though - it's almost synonymous with minmaxer/twinker. Only the "fairness" isn't as prominent.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
For me, it's the kind that throw temper tantrums over game reviews that aren't perfect scores. Even if sites like IGN give a game a great score like an 8 or 8.5 and write a detailed review to explain the score, fans of said game will ***** about how they're biased against it and just want to generate traffic by giving it a "low" score. I've even come across people who go "I agree with the score, it's what they talk about that I disagree with." Basically they nitpick over stupid insignificant comments just so they can scream "biased!" and disregard everything else they've said, even if the reviewer highly recommends playing it.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Elitists of any description. Playing on a particular platform or only playing a particular type of game doesn't make you better so stop pretending it does.
Daystar Clarion said:

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Not quite the same as the time my friend and I both played as Donkey Kong, trying to grab each other and jumping off the stage :D

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Paulo Belato said:
That's definitely one of the worst types out there. My blood boils when I hear someone disregard a game for having "cartoony" graphics. Because apparently colourful graphics means that it must be a kids game, and nothing that can be enjoyed by a child can possibly be any good. After all, Wind Waker ruined the Zelda franchise (which was always so adult orientated before), and Pixar have never made a good movie, right?

Elitists and fanboys are awful too. The kind of people who think you're worthless because you don't like whatever overly complex and obtuse game they like; or you have similar tastes, but they're not similar enough, so you must be a scum.

EDIT: So it's official. Those captchas with company logos are just adverts. I just got one while posting this and mashed the keyboard with nonsense and it accepted it. Maybe they're used for collecting data so they can advertise to you more when you search the words online. Lovely.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Platform fanboys, graphics whores and those people who only play one genre of games.

I can understand platform fanboyism to a degree because you don't want to see that you bought "the wrong one". But the other two confuse me.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Anyone who uses the word "e-sports". Gaming is not a sport. And this push to try to make "e-sports" a thing just strikes me as people desperate to point to it and say to their fathers "See, dad? It is a legitimate pastime!"

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Barking Orders Gamer

You plan to have a nice relaxing game and BAM through the mic all the time. Giving orders acting like they are the best at the game. Most of the time their score isn't even good. Then they ***** it's because no one is doing what they say.

I really hate it when it's a non serious game mode/map/server.

A different type. Entitled Gamer. Normally combined with the barking orders. The ones that take all the loot and then 3 levels later say "You're the sniper right? Want this sniper rifle I'm about to sell?"

That rifle would have been good for me or the other who they were talking about. 3 levels ago now it's too weak.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Elitists.
Be it PC, console, or based on any particular game or series, they're all massive fucks.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Have you tried it?

Also, no items, fox only final destination isn't really metagaming... lots of characters will have advantages on other stages, so if you are actually playing to win (assuming money or pride is on the line) then you pick the stage that either suits your character or counters your opponent's character. It's not always gonna be final destination.

But yeah it's lame to play to win when your friend wants to play casually.

Rougly quoting Egoraptor said:
I tried no items, fox only, final destination with a friend a while ago on Melee... you know, as a kind of joke thing...

...One of the most fucking intense matches i've ever played
Oh yeah I need to actually contribute to the tread... oops.

No specific type of gamer annoys me. People can enjoy the games they want... it's when people complain about others' preference in games that gets on my nerves.

People who get butthurt when they lose online is really annoying. Here's some advice guys, if you lost to someone, don't blame the person who beat you.

EDIT: Oh... and people who trashtalk when they win too. In real life, I assume trash talking to be tongue in cheek, or hype... but that doesn't transfer online well enough for me, so I just assume they are being condescending.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
I'm not 100% sure it's actualy a gamer type. I suppose metagamer as it's been described in the thread already.

But the people who, before ever playing a game, will read every detail about it, know everything to exploit, all the secrets, what's OP, and everything else. Just so they can feel awesome because the game wasn't a challenge to them. They will also brag about it, and if you don't follow the same strategies they will mock you, even if you handicapped yourself like that, and still won.