What would make you play CoD again?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Or really any hated franchise, or a franchise you personally hate.

If CoD actually had an interesting story, or at least a reasonably long singleplayer, I might actually play it longer than a week. It'd be nice also if they didn't use pretty much the same cut scene again and again. What, an explosion? Your teammate, who was way closer to the bomb, will now stand up completely fine and carry your sorry ass to the next corridor, while you swim in and out of consciousness.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I never hated CoD, I just never got into it. I've only played World At War and thought it was okay. Co-op was fun, Nazi Zombies was fun, even multiplayer was fun.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
CoD's undergone an interesting shift in the past few years. As it was first conceived, it was a game primarily focused on singleplayer. Since CoD4, there's been a shift in the market, and the game's moved to focus more and more on multiplayer. It's a bit amusing, really. CoD used to be all about single player, and Battlefield more about multiplayer.

In the years since they established themselves, they've homogenized so much that they're fighting with each other for the markets they used to dominate. It's like a microcosm of the industry, really.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Another WW2 settings without the bombastic hollywood SP story. I prefer just "you're a soldier, go fight in this battle". I'm someone who originally really liked CoD1 and 2 for their lack of stories stories and great single player.

Although since I'm not really a competitive multi person (and that's what CoD has focused on for years) any more I probably won't ever buy it again. Haven't for like the past 3-4 years and only bought MW2 and 3 to play with friends. Right now for my shooter fix I'm happy with Forgotten Hope and Project Reality bot matches as well as original Doom.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I love COD4 because there was an actual weight to the situations and a subtlety (HAHAHA) that was becoming increasingly absent in subsequent games.

If a COD game wants to attract my attention, it'll have to have a single-player focus and a depiction of warfare that is a bit more nuanced. Ideally I'd like the story to piss off most of COD's "stereotypical" fanbase by painting the US troops as... flawed? Spec Ops: The Line engaged me more than post-COD4 Call of Duty games to be honest just because there was more context to the gameplay, even if the gameplay wasn't as good.

Also cut out this on-rails bullshit.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Change the setting and the military bravado. Oh, and how about a little focus on single-player -- Look to Wolfenstein: The New Order.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
CoD 4 and the Nazi Zombies modes were my favourite item. It was also fun playing against computers with my friend split screen in Black Ops. After that, I'm just no longer interested in the franchise. Already been there and seen all the good bits.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
I don't hate CoD, it is a well made series that is a lot of fun. I don't believe they change enough on a year to year basis so I only buy a CoD game every so often.

The only CoD games I own are CoD 2, CoD 4:MW, CoD: BO, and CoD: AW.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
For CoD, a proper single player war story again, that takes you through actual wars. Sure, it can be glorified. Even CoD1 was, to some extend. But I want things back like only being handed a clip of bullets, no weapon. And then having to run and cover. If you don't, you die from enemy fire, if you retreat you get gunned down by your own commander. Stuff like that was awesome.

Also, they REALLY need to stop with the 'enemies keep respawning until you move' mechanic. It makes everything feel so...unrealistic and scripted. At least in CoD1 you could eventually clear an area even if you stayed put.

Oh and another thing, bring back health packs already! Regenerating health takes away any kind of tension from getting to low health. All you have to do is take cover for a bit and you're good to go again...meh...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Treyarch makes the game we've all been waiting for: Nazi Zombies. I'd be on that in a heartbeat.

Honestly, I want my big, epic scale battles back. Ghosts had none of that--save for the part where you drive a tank--and Advanced Warfare just had it in the opening level. I'm so tired of being part of a two or three man team, where the other two guys can't die no matter how often they're shot, and it's just us verses the entire enemy army. I want to storm a beach again, with AI companions fighting and dying beside me. Those moments in the game when I feel like I'm part of the force, not THE force, going in to get things done. I don't want to be the hero. I want to be soldier number six again. A few examples:

Storming the White House in MW2.

The Coral Reef in World at War.

Riding the Osprey into Germany in MW3.

Pretty much all of Jackson's levels in MW.

Tet offensive in Black Ops.

Defending the USS Obama in Black Ops II.

I want that back in my Call of Duty games. Nowadays it's just "You're special soldier, go win the war!" Advanced Warfare came close with the mission in the arctic, but just when it started getting good, SURPRISE! We're dropping you down a hole and now it's just you and the unkillables again.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Change the setting and the military bravado. Oh, and how about a little focus on single-player -- Look to Wolfenstein: The New Order.
They had something very good going on with Black Ops 2 I must admit, if only they went more in that direction; all the different endings and paths you could choose were genuinely great and those open ended RTS-lite strikeforce missions were great fun.

Kinda wish Activision would tone development down to a two year cycle and just have Treyarch do everything, they've definitely overtaken both Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer in terms of quality although Sledgehammer did pretty darn well with AW multiplayer, just a pity the only gamemode I can ever find people on in that blasted game is team deathmatch.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
When Treyarch releases another game, I'll play Call of Duty for a long period of time.

Infinity Ward has been incinerating itself since the blow-up from MW2, and I don't think it's any coincidence that every game they've made since MW2 has been part of a downward slope. MW2 > MW3 >>>>>>> Ghosts. Advanced Warfare kinda fell apart in the second half, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The rest of the game I could take or leave, and I don't see the multiplayer having longevity for me.

Treyarch's got more of a natural up-and-down scale thing going on imo with WaW > Black Ops II > Black Ops > CoD 3. Even without knowing anything about the game I have faith that Treyarch will put their effort into it like always, and even if it's not that good there'll be stuff for fans like me to go through with a fine comb to find.

Vampyre

Aug 19, 2014
Objective-based multiplayer similar to Return to Castle Wolfenstein's released-for-free WW2 version. Even in a modern setting or futuristic setting that'd be lots of fun.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, with a few changes, I could probably become a massive fan of COD. First, they need to put most of the emphasis on the single player mode. Probably 20-40 hours worth of content, at least, with a heavy central focus on delivering a memorable narrative. Second, they need to replace the first person shooter aspect of the game with something else. Maybe a turn based battle system with level ups, or a fixed camera angle game with wonky controls. Third, get rid of the modern military shooter aspect of the game. Maybe have an open world game about an evil corporation that sucks the life force out of the planet, or, even better, a silent Midwestern town with a lot of fog. Much more interesting. Another positive change they could make is if they retired the boring white Mach protagonists with more complex characters. Maybe a disenchanted blonde mercenary whose running from his past, or a sulky, suicidal clerk whose searching for his dead wife.

With these small changes I could see myself becoming a MASSIVE fan of the franchise.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Fox12 said:
Well, with a few changes, I could probably become a massive fan of COD. First, they need to put most of the emphasis on the single player mode. Probably 20-40 hours worth of content, at least, with a heavy central focus on delivering a memorable narrative. Second, they need to replace the first person shooter aspect of the game with something else. Maybe a turn based battle system with level ups, or a fixed camera angle game with wonky controls. Third, get rid of the modern military shooter aspect of the game. Maybe have an open world game about an evil corporation that sucks the life force out of the planet, or, even better, a silent Midwestern town with a lot of fog. Much more interesting. Another positive change they could make is if they retired the boring white Mach protagonists with more complex characters. Maybe a disenchanted blonde mercenary whose running from his past, or a sulky, suicidal clerk whose searching for his dead wife.

With these small changes I could see myself becoming a MASSIVE fan of the franchise.
Oh! oh! How about instead of being a faceless protagonist, you get to be a NAMELESS protagonist, and you adventure around a large city trying to find out more about your past.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I haven't really played a CoD game outside of zombies or the occasional game at a friend's place for about 5 years. I own Advanced Warfare and I'm having a blast with it because the exo suit changes everything. Cannot recommend it enough if you want a fast paced game but the kind of twitchy gameplay CoD has.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
"Again" would imply I ever played it in the first place.

Military shooters were never really my cup of tea, and I don't tend to like the majority of modern shooters in general, too much stop and pop.