What Would You Do If Money Were No Object

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
I would go to school for robotics/engineering. I have always been fascinated with robotics and building things. While my current projects are much more practical, I would try and gain the skills to build prosthetic limbs for people who had lost them. Having a fully functional hand which could (and this may be simply not realistic) respond better to neuro impulses vs what is currently out there would be really neat

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I know I should be grateful for such an oppurtunity and use it to help society by being productive.

But, honestly, I'd probably just slack off and play video games.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Honestly, I'm a little too young to compare this to my current lot in life but I'll answer. I'd learn 7-8 different languages, learn to enjoy watching American football, travel more (Sometimes to study), do more charity work, go out with my family more often, and read and write poetry. Aside from that, I'd enjoy the hobbies I've been normally enjoying (TV shows, games, novels yada yada).

That's my answer to "What would you do if you didn't have to worry about age/time?" but it applies here.

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
Buy myself a girlfriend - Pretty sure someone wouldn't mind spending time and loving someone with a bazillion dollars. Hugh Hefner Agrees.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much what I do right now but without the work hours, played my games. I have a huge catalogs of games I want to played but can't due to the restriction of time (since some of it are work time).

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
sex tourism around the world, followed by buying companies and properties out of spite or to utilise in specifically spiteful ways.

Either that or launch a political bid.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Many things.

I'd travel. A lot. Frequently. I'd probably never cook because I'd be out eating all the time.

Getting my own place is a priority. Give my mom lots of money and possibly distance myself after.

Just stuff for me, me, me, me.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
Not that much different from what I do now, except I'd drink (even) more, turn up to lectures (even) less, and I'd probably live in a much bigger place, take a few holidays now and then, etc.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
In the immediate present I'd prepare for a 2-month trip to Korea and SAT tests. I'm a student, I still have a school-life ahead of me :p. I can't do any of that crazy Iron-Man shit yet.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I would become, well, iron man.
Baring unrealistic impossible tecnologies i would just.. .retire. i already got enough things i want to do that i could spend 10 years doing them, without a break, 24/7 and would probably still come short with time.
and i dont expect to ever do them all in my life.
but still i plan. because im obsessive idiot.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Probably buy up a bunch of land, build a self-sufficient compound there, invite my closest friends and family to live there with me, not having to work but having being able to pursue our own interests - for example, starting a small private school there that charged no tuition but kept a small tight-knit group of students whom I would all know personally (and they could live there as well).

I guess starting a modern version of Plato's academy basically...but homier and with all the modern amenities.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Money is no object for the sake of my personal life, or period?

If the former, build a beautiful high tech home overlooking a large wildlife preserve with a very well equipped prototype lab and library. Spend the rest of my life caring for my family and doing what I love.

If the latter, I've got a long laundry list of humanitarian projects in mind. From funding Gen IV molten salt reactors in third world countries along with the power infrastructure to take advantage of it, to research into realizing my ultimate pipe dream, the GTO elevator system. (stop laughing, we have the tech, the materials, and the supplies, all we are really missing is an efficient method of production)

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Oh man, I've got a big list.
Skydiving,
Buying a whole bunch of awesome music CD's,
Going on awesome holidays all around the world,
Give good chunks of money to the poor,
Fund scientific research,
Skiing,
Paintball,
etc.

Just things that are fun, cool or that help others sums it up pretty well. Also, thrills. Lots of thrills. Always wanted to skydive.
Capatcha: heebie-jeebies

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I would travel, record more music and hire a full band to play with me so I could do live shows. But I think the most important thing, I would keep working. I love my job. I'm a firefighter paramedic, and it is what I will always do. I would buy my agency some new rigs and equipment, and make sure everyone got paid well, as well as building a new station for us. I would do a lot of community improvement stuff too.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am in a somewhat similar situation. I despise my job, but cannot really afford to quit it. My problem is that I do not have anything in particular I'd want to do for a career. Plenty of things that wouldn't make me money, but nothing financially viable that wouldn't also make me feel the way I do now.

If money wasn't an issue then I'd have a nice house in several different countries. I haven't left the UK since I was 18 and I'd like to explore a bit. I haven't been to America, but would like to. I'd also like to go to Japan, Australia and maybe Canada as well.

Beyond that I'd probably dedicate myself to learning another language (Japanese would be my first choice). Granted I can do that to an extent now, but if money were no object I'd be able to have a personal tutor and all of the other available options that somebody who doesn't need to work would have as an advantage.

I'd also spend more time getting into shape. I am not in particularly bad shape right now (my weight is pretty much spot on for my height), but with my current job I simply do not have the energy to do it properly as I do not get enough sleep and pretty much rely on caffeine to get through the day.

Although of course that's just my life, I'd also help out my family. Half of them could do with some financial support, so I'd sort their lives out before doing any of the above. I can think of a few ways I could help some friends out too.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
if i had a lot of money, i would open up a game dev studio and hire a handful of artists and musicians, maybe even a writer. I already program my own little projects but i'm no artist, and the art is holding me back from ever releasing anything decent. So right now, i'm stuck with trying to persuade artists to work with me for... free. Yeah it's not going so well -_-

So i'm stuck with a crappy minimum wage job until i can hit some sort of success with game development. i'm also in college part time so things are pretty difficult for me financially. i have very little free time.

Even if i had just enough money to get by with rent for a few years, i would quit my job and dedicate 100% of my time to working on a game, if by the end of that time i couldn't manage to produce something worthy of selling, than i would know i'm not cut out for the job, but right now, i feel like the world is holding me back from doing what i really want to do. I can't help but feel that if i had been born into a better/wealthy family that i'd already be where i want to be.

So i know what the OP is going through, not exactly but quite similar.