What would you have done in my situation?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Right, so, some background information!

Earlier this school year, someone in my year at school was diagnosed with a pretty rare cancer. So he hasn't been in school since the beginning of the year. Now, I'd like to point out that this guy was always a total prick. I mean, I never had a conversation with him that didn't involve him being an utter asshat towards me for no reason. I'd also like to point out that a lot of other people never used to like him either.

So, there's a charity event on this weekend, and upon being asked if I was going to go, I replied with a very firm no, by which I said "Haha, not a chance."

So, why won't I support my year mate, I was asked, as "HE'S SO BRAVE TO FIGHT THROUGH THIS!"... Apparently.

I won't support him because he's the most arrogant tool I've ever talked to in my life, and apparently everyone else in my year totally forgot this when he got diagnosed. Really? I mean, it's like when Michael Jackson died, I seemed to be the only person I know who actually remembered the fact that he was a bad person (y'know, the whole, holding his child over the railings of a balcony quite high up, and the sleeping with children [I never implied he had sex with them, shut up before you flame me]).

So, yeah, question's simple, what would you have done?

EDIT: I realise now that I forgot to specify what the charity fundraiser was for.

It's for after-surgery treatment that his family can afford without actually putting a major dent in their finances. I don't understand exactly why I should be helping them out when they've already got more money than they could possibly know what to do with.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Same as you, except use my silver tongue to persuade them round to my point of view.
I hate social etiquette like this.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
I guy I know uses the saying, "Dying doesn't make you a nice person." If it applies here, use it.

I personally use, "I have a limited amount of give-a-shit, and I'm not going to waste it on this."

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I congratulate you for sticking to your guns unfortunately I'm a massive coward who would go just to keep the status quo.I'd try to slip out as soon as possible without notice as I despise crowds.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
It was more the way you replied, I think.

If you had said something along the lines of "No because of *Insert reason here*, but I wish him well.", instead of going "Haha, not a chance.", you probably wouldn't have received the response you've gotten.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
C.S.Strowbridge said:
I guy I know uses the saying, "Dying doesn't make you a nice person." If it applies here, use it.
This so much. (Escapist needs a points system)

If the cancer actually changed him because he had a legit shot of dying then I would consider going. But in your situation I completely agree with what you did

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Dying doesn't make you a nice person, Cancer doesn't make you a Saint. It's Jade Goody syndrome I tells ya.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
So, you're not going to a charity event for a guy with cancer... because you don't like him? Ever heard of being the better man?

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
I consider myself an optimist and give the money: There's a chance he might come out of it as a completely different person, or if not, i can always say i helped save a life.
Yay for (hypothetical) mutual respect towards your fellow man.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
C.S.Strowbridge said:
I personally use, "I have a limited amount of give-a-shit, and I'm not going to waste it on this."
I like this one... Mind if I steal it for future use?

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Lol! Im gonna borrow that one

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
-Drifter- said:
So, you're not going to a charity event for a guy with cancer... because you don't like him?
Because I genuinely feel that my school life would've been better without him.

Fuck, in the... What? 7 months he's gone, it's already more fun.

Oh, and yeah, pretty much.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
No_Remainders said:
-Drifter- said:
So, you're not going to a charity event for a guy with cancer... because you don't like him?
Because I genuinely feel that my school life would've been better without him.

Fuck, in the... What? 7 months he's gone, it's already more fun.

Oh, and yeah, pretty much.
Petty, my friend.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I'd have been more polite about it, maybe. Depends on how much of a tosser he was.

Still, I can't fault your decision. I agree with you.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Same as you, except less dick-ish.

I fully understand that you don't like the guy.

That said, too many times have I seen similar posts, where the OP became "that douchebag" to his peers for saying dick-ish things to a person they don't like (for whatever reason) in a horrible situation.

Tact, people.

Enslave_All_Elves

Mar 31, 2011
I'd simply say "Nope."

Anymore explanation beyond is more than other people deserve. Nothing makes you beholden to shovel money to a douche. Karma's a ***** or somethingblahblah