What would you like to see less or more of around here?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
EDIT: This is now a...

[HEADING=1]50,000th-post celebration thread![/HEADING]​

This is primarily for my own curiosity, though I do plan to pass suggestions on to the CM and flag up the thread, so expect it to be seen by at least one staff member[footnote]Since some people I speak to have told me they feel a bit left out of the loop.[/footnote]. I know that mentioning the words "site" or "community" is sometimes just asking for things to kick off, but I've also noticed even those who are most disparaging about the site keep coming back, and I like to think that means it must be doing something well. With that in mind, what does the Escapist do better for you than anywhere else, and what can it improve on? What do you want to see less or more of around here? Features, articles, videos, reviews, badges, quizzes, competitions, layouts, backgrounds, functionality, go crazy - the more suggestions, the better. If you want to flag up something that's broken or outdated, that would be appreciated as well. All I ask is that you keep criticisms about the staff or other posters free of passive aggression or insults, please - let's focus on what we can improve.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Corey Schaff said:
I'd like the flagging system to require that you enter an explanation for why you're flagging something. It would allow for quicker moderation, especially on things where the reason might not be immediately apparent (Necro). Also would allow lower priority/higher dismissal rate on "spite flagging", which is more likely not to have a good explanation attached.
This has been suggested somewhere before and I. Would. Love it. It doesn't sound like it'd be that hard to implement, either.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I want to see more:
1) More Lego articles
2)More future of gaming articles focused on actual game play, player freedom, player control and customization.
3)More focus on creating more things for players to do in games.
4) More focus on large scale PvP battles and creating more functional gameplay for large scale PvP.
5) More focus on inclusion
I want to see Less:
1)Less Lego star wars ( dont get me wrong.. I Love star wars.. Over saturated atm)
2)Less focus on VR, PVE content and Graphics
3)Less focus on whining about feminism.
4)Less focus on whining about censoring boobs/ butts.
5)Less focus on allowing/ defending sexism, racism and bigotry.

*Wishes game industry discussion was actually about gaming*
EDIT:
More:
6) I want to see more Cosplay articles, I love looking at the work they put into their costumes. Maybe even articles on how they make their costumes, props and weapons would be cool too.
7) More toy articles. Things like Replica FPS Nerf guns ( even if they are customs), Video game character figurines, replica game weapons, props, or shields, table top gaming, minifigures.. I love reading the articles about toys and custom items.
8) PC case modding articles.. they even have competitions for this that are really interesting.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I would like to see the weekly quizzes back they where a lot of fun. I also think an editorial theme for some weeks would be a good idea. You wouldn't need it every week but Experienced Points, Extra Punctuation, Good Old Games and Garwulfs Corner having different takes on the same topic once a month a so would interesting. In fact I would like to see more columns like Experienced Points and Garwulfs Corner.

Lil devils x said:
I want to see more:

If you dont want that may I suggest that you stop making threads about those subjects. Threads are for discussion and not just repeating your own views back to you. Either stop making threads about those things and stay out of other peoples or accept that other people have different views to you. Just because you believe something does not make you belief anymore valid than anyone elses. The last time editorial staff tried to impose their own views on the readership it didn't work out too well.

Baffle said:
I used to like that 'Dear Karen' (can't remember the actual name) kind of feature that was here years ago (agony aunt kind of thing), but there were complaints that this is a gaming site, not an advice column. Still, I liked it.
There was an ask a doctor column at one point as well

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
There are plenty sites and blogs focusing on the gender politics of media representation.
I'd like to have one site, maybe even this site, that reviews and discusses these media disregarding the race/sex/orientation aspect of these media, unless of course, the are the main subject matter of said media.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
albino boo said:
I would like to see the weekly quizzes back they where a lot of fun. I also think an editorial theme for some weeks would be a good idea. You wouldn't need it every week but Experienced Points, Extra Punctuation, Good Old Games and Garwulfs Corner having different takes on the same topic once a month a so would interesting. In fact I would like to see more columns like Experienced Points and Garwulfs Corner.

Lil devils x said:
I want to see more:

If you dont want that may I suggest that you stop making threads about those subjects. Threads are for discussion and not just repeating your own views back to you. Either stop making threads about those things and stay out of other peoples or accept that other people have different views to you. Just because you believe something does not make you belief anymore valid than anyone elses. The last time editorial staff tried to impose their own views on the readership it didn't work out too well.

Baffle said:
I used to like that 'Dear Karen' (can't remember the actual name) kind of feature that was here years ago (agony aunt kind of thing), but there were complaints that this is a gaming site, not an advice column. Still, I liked it.
There was an ask a doctor column at one point as well
I don't make threads complaining about feminists or censorship. This was a question about what you want to see more/ less of and I stated my opinion. Not the " complain about what people want to see more of or less of thread". If you want to see less or more of something go right ahead, but don't tell others what they should want to see less of or more of. I want to see less sexism, racism and bigotry in the gaming community (which this site happens to be a part of).

I would like for the game industry section to actually be about the game industry and not read like a bad tabloid. You know talk about gameplay vs graphics.. Player customization.. what is being done to allow more stuff in our games so they will play better.. Not " This schmuck slept with someone " nonsense..

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Lil devils x said:
I don't make threads complaining about feminists or censorship. This was a question about what you want to see more/ less of and I stated my opinion. Not the " complain about what people want to see more of or less of thread". If you want to see less or more of something go right ahead, but don't tell others what they should want to see less of or more of.

I would like for the game industry section to actually be about the game industry and not read like a bad tabloid. You know talk about gameplay vs graphics.. Player customization.. what is being done to allow more stuff in our games so they will play better.. Not " This schmuck slept with someone " nonsense..
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.934468-Racism-on-A-M-campus-during-school-tour#23519139#

Dont make threads like that and expect everyone to agree with you.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Less clickbaity articles. The site has come a long way about those, but every so often one still slips through.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
Baffle said:
Why not both? It could be an advice column for games!

Also, I'd like to see more boobs and butts around here, preferrably female, and well-toned.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
albino boo said:
Lil devils x said:
I don't make threads complaining about feminists or censorship. This was a question about what you want to see more/ less of and I stated my opinion. Not the " complain about what people want to see more of or less of thread". If you want to see less or more of something go right ahead, but don't tell others what they should want to see less of or more of.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.934468-Racism-on-A-M-campus-during-school-tour#23519139#

Dont make threads like that and expect everyone to agree with you.
Is that about feminists or censoring boobs and butts? Is that in the game industry section? That is not even relevant to the discussion, nor is your comment. I never asked for people to agree with me. That was in Religion and politics ..where it belongs. A news article on racism on campus ( which is against school policy btw) has nothing to do with game industry, or this topic. No one expects people to " agree" with them on everything, that is what a discussion is for.

Sexism, racism and bigotry, however, should not be acceptable in any community that considers itself to be "inclusive" however. Unless this is the KKK website, I see no reason it should be, nor should people think that this is stormfront. That is why there is a time and place for things. Articles for racism on campus belong in Religion and politics.. The place for game industry discussion is not " what is an SWJ?" or " this chic slept with people and iz bad so we are going to keep talking about her years later" Those have nothing to do with gaming.

Mar 30, 2010
Some form of regular article covering custom game types/maps would be cool. With so many games these days shipping with in-built editors (GTA:O, Halo, Trials etc) there is a huge amount of user-made custom game modes and maps out there, but wading through the vast amount of content to find the real gems can be a chore. I know Rockstar's Newswire and Halo's Waypoint do a pretty good job of highlighting content in their own games, but surely the Escapist can pull together a weekly update of what's 'trending' in online creator circles?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Some form of regular article covering custom game types/maps would be cool. With so many games these days shipping with in-built editors (GTA:O, Halo, Trials etc) there is a huge amount of user-made custom game modes and maps out there, but wading through the vast amount of content to find the real gems can be a chore. I know Rockstar's Newswire and Halo's Waypoint do a pretty good job of highlighting content in their own games, but surely the Escapist can pull together a weekly update of what's 'trending' in online creator circles?
It would be cool to have maybe a resource for custom content/ mods for different games.. maybe even if they had it by genre since there are too many games and resources take up space. I used to get all kinds of maps from different sources for different games, even just linking the sources rather than actually having them uploaded would be good to help consolidate them. Links to mods/ maps custom content for games would be nice to have. Maybe a "Game Mods" section with different sub sections for genres? That reminds me.. I have like several boxes of discs and HD's full of custom content for games in my closet..

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
I would just LOVE if people here were able to simply accept that not everyone thought like them, regardless of where they are sitting. Oftentimes it feels as if this forum is completely devoid of normalcy and is instead wholly populated by fanatics and rabid fans of a political side, an agenda or a "cause".

I would love there to be thicker skin, a more mature mindset and less reporting.
I would love a lot of the users here to grow up and stop expecting to be catered to all the time.
I would love it if people would be able "agree to disagree" like what happens time and time again in real life, instead of being so stubborn and annoying as to refuse to do that.

I would love there to be a lot less quote-mining and for the people doing it to get banned.
I would love the obvious sock-puppet/alternate accounts to be banned. Joined 3 days ago but you have 50 posts all in GID? Get the fuck out.

EDIT:
I would add that I think including something like recieving a warning point for a frivolous report would help. A lot of people are reporting posts because they simply disagree with them or feel personally offended by a differing viewpoint. It is massively stupid and has no place on a board supposedly not only inhabited by people in their teens.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
More
Badge quizes
Video reviews
Actual fun forum topics
Videos like LRR or animated ones (I know I'm asking for alot)

Less
Controvisal topics (Gamergate, feminist and etc)
Disney Princess articles

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Personally, written articles ... I know people to read but I'd rather just listen to it, like the Patch done by rooster teeth. I can't even remember the last time I read any article on any site.

Same for game reviews, last one I can remember reading was GTA3, reading how I could pop tyres and shoot through windscreens! I would much rather watch a youtube gamer do a quick look, first look, first impression etc. Even bigger publications do them, giantbomb is first to mind.

Reading a review is so dry and you can really see what the person is describing. Get one or two people playing a game, talking about it, watching the game as they do the stuff they are talking about adds so much.

It's quicker, gets more information across, it's more entertaining etc.

Another example, cinemarter VS moviebob ... I've read like one cinemarter but I watched just about all of moviebobs stuff. I'd like to absorb more of Cinemarters stuff but I don't want to read it all.

EDIT: please stop with the "stuff that makes guys cry" ... it doesn't and gallery of the day 'cos that style is so annoyingly ad revenue whoring (instead of just a long list, I have to click next all the time, so I see your ads 8 times instead of once) and it's not exactly hard hitting journalism, what was the last one? Something like 8 of the worst superhero games and before I even started to click through, which I did to see if I was right, I said to myself "I bet number one is superman 64" and guess what was number 1?

I think it's one of those things that takes way too much effort to keep going, thinking of a new list every week and then enough examples to fill it out, then writing a little paragraph about it, than it's actually worth doing.

Mar 30, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Grouchy Imp said:
It would be cool to have maybe a resource for custom content/ mods for different games.. maybe even if they had it by genre since there are too many games and resources take up space. I used to get all kinds of maps from different sources for different games, even just linking the sources rather than actually having them uploaded would be good to help consolidate them. Links to mods/ maps custom content for games would be nice to have. Maybe a "Game Mods" section with different sub sections for genres? That reminds me.. I have like several boxes of discs and HD's full of custom content for games in my closet..
Yeah, I think you're right. It'd need breaking up by genre otherwise it'd be too cluttered, but a separate forum tab that was then sub-divided into 'Racing', 'FPS', 'Platformer' etc would allow people to find what they were after pretty handily. Even if it were simply links to various upload channels
it'd serve as a one-stop-shop for additional content. You'd need separate tabs for PC and consoles, too, given the proliferation of the PC modding community.