what would you make Earth's official language?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Ok, fun hypothetical time!

Let's say for some reason, let's save some time and just say space magic, you can now pick what language everyone on Earth will speak for the rest of history. You get to pick what Earth's universal language is.

So what do you pick? Any language can be used, including dead languages and fictional ones.

Note: All the other languages will still have existed, and can still be learned. So you can still learn how to speak *insert your native language*, you'd just learn it as a second one.

finiii

Ocelot
Feb 2, 2010
Esperanto would be fitting as it was constructed to be an international language.

But I would pick whatever the vogon language is called. Poetry classes will be mandatory.

Legiondude

Jan 21, 2012
Could do the Ender's Game solution and create Starways Common(A.K.A. "Stark"), a culmination of multicultural and battle school slang on an English base(Modified, standardized and easier to learn English grammar rules)

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I'd like to see Latin make a comeback. We use so many Latin terms, phrases and idioms, might as well make it the main language in this alternate universe.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
The lazy option would be English, but I say we pick Latin just for the cool factor. And then we can have space Romans and stuff. Who doesn't want Space Legions?

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
English is already the language of international commerce, it'd make the most sense at this stage.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Earth's official language should be that of the Marklars Marklar's offical Marklar should be that of the Marklars
<youtube=Bzq4YDt7V-o>

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Modified version of English. Its pretty close to being a worldwide common language already.

But first, ideally, you would standardize the odd spelling and grammar rules left over from all the bastardization in the language's beginnings. And flat out eliminate most of the region specific slang.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Goofguy said:
I'd like to see Latin make a comeback. We use so many Latin terms, phrases and idioms, might as well make it the main language in this alternate universe.
It's so bloody complicated though, even people fluent can't just talk like we do in english, you have to be very careful and obey all the really complicated and obtuse rules.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Ancient Sumerian. Or another very old language. I think it's only fair if everybody learned a new language, rather than some people having an advantage.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
GeneralTwinkle said:
Goofguy said:
It's so bloody complicated though, even people fluent can't just talk like we do in english, you have to be very careful and obey all the really complicated and obtuse rules.
Same problem with Spanish. A Spanish professor told me native Mexicans won't pay attention to most of the grammar rules. It comes with the territory of having 50 FORMS FOR A SINGLE VERB.

Really, fuck Spanish. Portuguese too. French is a much nicer Romance language. It's not trying to be Italian and failing miserably at it.