What would you say to the past "you"?

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Just a simple question, what would you say to a younger version of you, knowing what you know now?

To start things off, I (33 years old) will say to the 16 year old version of me:

1. Start playing bass, you'll love it
2. You will get married and you will love
3. Don't major in economics as your parents want

So now is your turn

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
21 here, I would tell my 13 year old self:

1) Stay AWAY from her! Dad was right about her, you don't need to go threw that and you'll regret it all of high school.
2) You may love science, but don't waste that year studying it after high school. Use that time to study what you want, not what mom wants.
3) That guy with the glasses in homeroom 2 desks over? Talk to him. He's a friend of Kevin's and you have so much in common, don't wait for another 2 years to only talk to him because you got put in the same table in math class.
4) The Avengers gets made. Yes, they made a movie about The Avengers. All because of an Iron Man movie coming out in 2 years that lead to a lot of Marvel movies being made. And all in the same continuity. And get this: there are [bold]6[/bold] shows and a miniseries along side the movies on TV and Netflix (oh, and we have Netflix, which by the time I tell you this is something worth getting)
5) Don't be depressed when people tell you just how bad things are getting. I remember how dark the world seemed back then, and how even up till now people keep complaining about things. But kid, I've seen things change over these years for the better. The things I could tell you about that will be made and that will happen would blow your minds. The world may seem like it's falling apart, but our little corner of it just keeps getting better and better.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm 27 so I guess I would say this to my 14 year old self-

1. Whatever you do, do NOT trim your big toenails too much! Trust me you will saved yourself from having years of ingrowing toenail problems!

2. When you finish your A level, spend your summer break including after finish a University year on finding a summer job. I know you don't want to but there is a thing called "recession" that will happened in a few years times so you need to have some employment history in your CV.

3. When you start using the internet thanks to broadband, look for the website "The Escapist Magazine" (that way I would of become the oldest member of this site ever back when the site was a pdf file download magazine!).

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011

To my 20 years old self: Don't go out today. No really, don't. You'll save yourself seven years of agony. Now the upside is, I forgot which exact day that happened on so I suppose I could say I'm moving on.

To my 15 years old self: Work that stick out of your ass, dammit.

To my 25 years old self: Write that goddamn novel already.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
22 yo now, to 9 year old me:

Hi sweetie! You know what's going to happen don't you? You've known for a while haven't you? I can promise you everything is going to be fine, older you is so proud of how strong and brave you are. It's going to really hurt you and when you're a little bit older there's going to be some issues but considering, you're going to do absolutely fine. I want you to tell the nice policemen everything you know because it will help with getting the bad man kept away for longer. Don't be scared, sweetheart. No one is going to be mad at you. Be nice to mum because she loves you and there's going to be some very very bad money problems soon, unfortunately. Help mum around the house and anyway you can.
Spend more time with Uncle Jack because he'll be gone soon and you'll wish you got to know him better.

Someone very special is coming along in the next year too! She'll grow up to be your little princess and then five more will follow! (You'll love being an auntie!) :)

14 yo me:
Please don't get involved with him. You are better than you think you are and no one cares if you're having sex or not.

19: Trust your instincts. Leave. He's going to end up abusing you. The other guy is a ****. I know you just want him around so you're not lonely but he really isn't worth it. Much nicer guys are going to come along very soon.

21 yo me:
Don't even go there you stupid *****. Don't ruin what you've got.

So, where'd I park the TARDIS?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
EeveeElectro said:
So, where'd I park the TARDIS?
You find out, you give me a call, okay? I could use one or two myself. I think there are two past decisions in my life I, in hindsight, would like to change. The rest...I'll live with it.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Probably just "Hey man, how's it going?", and start a good old chat. I have done a lot of stupid things in my life but I have learned from these experiences and wouldn't want to change that - even if some of them felt shit at the time. In real life you don't get a second attempt, and I've come to accept that even though I would like to change things, doing so would change me into a different person (which I don't want to do).

Oct 10, 2011
18, to my 14 year old self:

1. Join Earth Club in High School and talk to people. You will find the best friend of your life there.

2. Yes, you're gay. No, it's not that bad. So stop denying what you are.

3. Don't trust Parnoor. With anything. Ever.

4. Don't be afraid to reach out for help, as long as you're careful who you reach out to.

5. Don't test the rope. If you end up in that spot, don't test the rope.

6. Many things will happen in the next four years, both good and bad. You don't get to know what. The uncertainty is part of life, and life will go on.

Oct 10, 2011
GordanChoong said:
You're gay? Just don't show signs of pedophilia or you will get moderated! Just warning you though.
Homosexuality and pedophilia are not connected in the slightest. I went through most of my teenage life thinking that I was a horrible person for being attracted to guys.

But really, it doesn't hurt anyone. There is no reason for me to judge myself for it, and no reason for anyone else to judge me either. I am who I am.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
To my younger self:

You're an idiot. Stop making a fool of yourself and get a job or apply for University. Also stop blaming your autism for everything, that just makes you an asshole.

Also, don't bother with the Mass Effect games. The ending in the third game ISN'T worth all that effort.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I would stress the importance of getting a job at an early(er) age and hold to my friends a little tighter.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
"For the love of God, learn to control it!! You're gonna kill everyone you love, you maniac!"

That would mess me up good.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
"Hey buddy just carry on as you are" also Id tell him to be prepared for failure. Your life will be a series of failures and bad decisions but how you deal with that is what defines you

Im not saying my life is perfect and I havent made any mistakes and sure theres a few things id like to change but its futile. Id rather live the life I have led rather than another. Theres no point changing your younger self when you can still have potential to change yourself

Im 21 now so I guess im still young

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
18 years old right now.
Telling my 12 year old self:

"You're going to meet someone called Tom eventually. Punch him."

"I'm not going to tell you who since you'll know her when you see her, but ask her out as soon as you can."

"Punch Tom again if you're successful."

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
To the me of last year
"Saturday, 10th of may 2014, 22, 13, 10, 16, 39, 45, 9, 2, Saturday lotto 4million mate."

To a 10 year old me
"Get your parents to invest in JB hi-fi till like.. 2010 or something, then sell that shit"

Oct 10, 2011
GordanChoong said:
username sucks said:
GordanChoong said:
You're gay? Just don't show signs of pedophilia or you will get moderated! Just warning you though.
Homosexuality and pedophilia are not connected in the slightest. I went through most of my teenage life thinking that I was a horrible person for being attracted to guys.

But really, it doesn't hurt anyone. There is no reason for me to judge myself for it, and no reason for anyone else to judge me either. I am who I am.
The effects of the evil red button have left me! Hooray! But I actually thought moderators were going to suspend me for saying that. Did you know that bi-sexuality and pan-sexuality are different sexual orientations? I want to ask you a question: if you're gay, and you marry a woman, are you still gay?
Yes, I do know of different sexual orientations. I am only attracted to people of the same sex, hence why I said that I am gay. There is nothing wrong with any of those sexual orientations that you listed.

As for your question about marriage, I'm sure plenty of gay men have married women in the past when homosexuality was considered evil, but sex likely was not part of those relationships. If you were trying to ask if "you're gay, and you have sex with a woman, are you still gay?", the answer would depend on if the man in question enjoyed it. If he did, and wants to do it again, he was likely never completely gay in the first place.

Moderators around here tend to be fair. There are many around here, myself included, who have made thousands of posts and been here for years, and not yet been moderated a single time. You can discuss just about anything, as long as you do it in a way that is not offensive or illegal.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I'd tell the me of 5 minutes ago to not click this thread, so that this present time travelling me wouldn't exist.

Seriously though I'd tell a younger me to learn an instrument, I'd tell him to get really really good, so that he could be a famous musician and not work ever again. That is how you get rich, time travel style. You reap the rewards while past you does all the work.