What would you want from a Dark Souls clone?

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Saelune said:
I like the co-op side of Dark Souls, not the PvP. I know alot of people love the PvP, but maybe seperate it? Invasions arent fun if you dont want them and are trying to progress. But I like having a buddy to help me.
Me too. I love to help out but I find the PVP to be cumbersome at most, thanks to lag, or downright irritating, thanks to the difficulty of the game. I don't need some fuckface trying to farm for embers when giant arrows rain down on me.

Saelune said:
I still want to "create" my character, but I wouldnt mind like, a voice. One that reacts and responds to things.
Hey! DSIII gave you the option to have your character go "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" or "Ouuuugh ooooogh..." when killed.

Saelune said:
Changing time and weather would be neat. Especially if it maybe effects gameplay. Maybe night time is more dangerous, or rain makes things work differently. (More slippery perhaps?)
I'd like this too. Make night time change the mobs, or change the behaviour of mobs. Make some days foggy, so that you can't see too far, or make rain reduce your lightning resistance (like the Looking Mirror Knight bossfight in DS2).

Saelune said:
I default to the claymore, so I kind of like giant weapons. Plus Souls is a japanese series, and Japan likes their giant weapons.
Something that I don't like about Dark Souls in general is that no matter how strong you are, you always swing greatswords like they weighted a ton, even if you can swing a giant petrified bone about twice as tall as you. I'd like that if you were crazy strong (like 50+ strength or something) you could swing greatswords like regular swords or unlock other movesets as you progress. I dunno, make high INT give you a default magic weapon on every weapon, high DEX allowing you to strike faster or more acrobatically, etc. I just find it dissapointing being high level and handling weapons the same way as if I had the bare minimum stat requirements.

Saelune said:
There is a real lack of gore in all these M rated medival fantasy games. I wish Elder Scrolls would add it too. I dont need Tarantino level splatter, but something would be nice. The blood splatter in Duke Nukem 3D certainly made it more fun. (And despite the graphical quality, the only game I ever seen to make such great use of blood, such as leaving dripping blood behind enemies you shotgun blast, or pools that you leave footprings through).
I don't know if it needs like tons of gore, but it would be nice to have certain attacks cut off some body parts or make more damage. Have a killing blow with a mace visibly break arms or a critical strike with an axe cut your enemy's head, greathammers just flattening enemies when killed, etc. Have some sorceries do more than just punching from afar, like desintegrating you or pyromancy burning you and leaving nothing but a charred corpse, etc. More Mortal Kombat fatality stuff (except less exaggerated).

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
I would love a Souls game that allows me to pause but apparently wanting such a ludicrous feature would make the game casual and I should gitgud and go back to CoD.
The only reason you can't pause is because it's a multiplayer game.
Except that every version has had some way to play offline minus DS2. Bloodborne specifically had an Offline option when starting the main menu yet it did not allow you to pause. When I'm online I understand why I cannot pause, but cannot fathom why FromSoftware thought it was fine to not allow me to pause when I'm in offline mode.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
I would love a Souls game that allows me to pause but apparently wanting such a ludicrous feature would make the game casual and I should gitgud and go back to CoD.
Except that every version has had some way to play offline minus DS2. Bloodborne specifically had an Offline option when starting the main menu yet it did not allow you to pause. When I'm online I understand why I cannot pause, but cannot fathom why FromSoftware thought it was fine to not allow me to pause when I'm in offline mode.
Still, because it's a multiplayer game. They didn't wanna design it differently for the offline mode. If it didn't have MP, they would have let you pause.
I would disagree with you. I have played all the games almost exclusively as a single player game and enjoyed them greatly. The multiplayer portion never really interested me. I only dabbled in the occasional invasion. I never felt that the game was sold on it's multiplayer. I get that for some people multiplayer it is the reason they buy and play, but I always felt that it was an afterthought feature.

Compare this to a game like Borderlands 2 where it could equally be considered a multiplayer game. When alone you can pause but when you are with a team pausing obviously is disabled.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Still, because it's a multiplayer game. They didn't wanna design it differently for the offline mode. If it didn't have MP, they would have let you pause.
I would disagree with you. I have played all the games almost exclusively as a single player game and enjoyed them greatly. The multiplayer portion never really interested me. I only dabbled in the occasional invasion. I never felt that the game was sold on it's multiplayer. I get that for some people multiplayer it is the reason they buy and play, but I always felt that it was an afterthought feature.
You disagree with me that it's a multiplayer game? But it is. It sells itself partly on its online features. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they dropped the MP completely, as I said on the last page.
I don't think I explained myself well. Its obviously a multiplayer game, but felt it could benefit from a pause feature when playing in single player. Especially when games like Diablo 3 and Borderlands do this already.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
You disagree with me that it's a multiplayer game? But it is. It sells itself partly on its online features. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they dropped the MP completely, as I said on the last page.
The pausing thing is not a big deal, IMO. Takes about 5 sec to log out to the main menu and 5 sec. to log back in. No progress lost. That's how you pause. If you're in the middle of combat, don't answer your phone. You can call/text them back. And if your wife tries to interrupt you, tell her to STFU until you can get to a stopping point. ;)

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Zhukov said:
Bombiz said:
Zhukov said:

I've only ever seen one game do this right.
@Zhukov oh? And what game might that be?
If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not get into a my-favourite-game-is-better-than-your-favourite-game argument.

I find them unutterably dull.
I'm actually to-the-bone curious what game does this right too. Not because I'm a Souls fan (I only played DS, and though it was a heap of fun, was not a ground-breaking second coming of action RPG that most people thought it was). No, I'm just curious because I've *never* seen it been done properly in a game, and am wondering what you had in mind.

The closest I've seen is actually way back in almost Virtua Fighter era PS2, 3D-ish beat 'em ups. I used to play one called Kensei Sacred Fist which had block animations for individual strikes, parries and dodges, and I'd never seen that been done before. But that was a fighting game. To see it in a hack-n-slash would be pretty damn revolutionary.

The closest I've seen is Witcher 3, but there's still a strange binary reaction from getting hit and taking damage, to the sudden ragdoll that happens once the life bar is totally depleted (which caused some awesome glitches in other games like Skyrim)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
It saves everywhere and after practically every little change though, so I was never bothered by lack of a pause. The only time you can't quite from menu is during active MP moments, which sucks when they happen to be glitched out with spammers.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kerg3927 said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
The pausing thing is not a big deal, IMO. Takes about 5 sec to log out to the main menu and 5 sec. to log back in. No progress lost. That's how you pause. If you're in the middle of combat, don't answer your phone. You can call/text them back. And if your wife tries to interrupt you, tell her to STFU until you can get to a stopping point. ;)
Sometimes menu quitting during these moments can actually be beneficial as they can often reset a bad situation you may find yourself in, as far as enemies are concerned. I probably varies a lot more with NPC interaction though, as certain actions or conversations are saved more often.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ezekiel said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
It saves everywhere and after practically every little change though, so I was never bothered by lack of a pause. The only time you can't quite from menu is during active MP moments, which sucks when they happen to be glitched out with spammers.
I'm not complaining about it. Just giving a reason.
Yeah I was only elaborating a bit on the good and bad of it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
I don't think I explained myself well. Its obviously a multiplayer game, but felt it could benefit from a pause feature when playing in single player. Especially when games like Diablo 3 and Borderlands do this already.
Diablo 3 and Borderlands isnt about being harsh though. Even without online, the idea that searching through your backpack leaves you vulnerable to enemies makes sense. Thats really what it is.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Good level design that is consistent throughout the game. After my time in Lost Izalith, it felt as if all the fun I had with Dark Souls were invalidated.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
A more direct storyline would be nice. Yeah yeah ambient storytelling and all that jazz, but sometimes I just want a story rubbed in my face rather than playing item description archaeologist.

Proper coop support would be nice too. I couldn't in seven hells find my friends in DS1. DS3 was better with the passwords but it still ran into issues here and there. While I do like the thematic appeal of random encounters with invaders, the covenants and the whole shifting world stuff - when I wanna just play with my friends, the less hassle the better.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Saelune said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Ezekiel said:
Wasted said:
Diablo 3 and Borderlands isnt about being harsh though. Even without online, the idea that searching through your backpack leaves you vulnerable to enemies makes sense. Thats really what it is.
Searching through your backpack could still be left real-time as it with the Start button while pausing could be the Select/Back button.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
I spent some time with Necropolis the other night. It's a pretty dope Souls-esque Roguelike. I love Dark Souls and this hit all the right buttons. Gonna try co op with a buddy over mumble at some point soon.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
In a good Darksouls clone i like good ranged options. [sub]magic in Ds3 don't count lol[/sub]
Niohs Health system looks like a good compromise between bloodborns farm heavy limited health pots and Ds3 infinite healing stratos. So yeah definitely want that.
A blend of Social engineering tools that play on the gameplay between the online and single player if it has it. [sub]Nothing is more fashionable than cosplaying as a random enemy[/sub]

The more I think about it I got a way longer list of things I DONT need.
The level being spatially realistic is not a must for me, levels can only be so different when they are acouple miles apart. OR more like its unrealistic to expect a developer to put the resources into that and get the same output.
I want refined mechanics first.