What's a dead franchise that completely deserved to die?

ungulateman

Aug 5, 2009
Gex.

If you've never heard of it, I congratulate you.

You want a summary? A secret agent gecko.

**leaves**

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Metal Gear Solid. It's just not that great...

Well, it was supposed to be a dead franchise but it keeps getting brought back by some crazy witch doctor.

Jun 8, 2009
I'm reluctant to say that any gaming franchise should be dead. It can be shelved if no one can think of anything to do with it, but you can always come up with good ideas for an existing franchise.

Some of them do need to go into a very long ten-minute retirement though.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
I'd say Destroy All Humans!
it had a lot of promise with the first and second games, but it went quickly downhill from there

James Cassidy

Dec 4, 2008
stabnex said:
Even if it did, Crash doesn't entirely deserve that fate. His games are actually fun. Sonic just has one move: run fast while collecting drug money.

One franchise I'm actually glad to not see anything since PS2: Twisted Metal. Same game, same old fighters every time.
Crash Bandicoot had one move too. "Spin" and he collect fruit. Not much different from the old school Sonic. Though Sonic had more than just "run fast" He also had "spin drill" and he also had a Super-Sonic type move with the emeralds.

and this was the original sonic.

Crash however, has not been doing well. None of his new games were any good. At least Sonic pulled out at least a decent one every now and then.

Heck, Ghostbusters and Brutal Legends was thrown out thanks to the new sucky Crash and Spyro. They may have made hit games back then, but now they just suck. Ghostbusters sold one million copies which is a success in my book.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
James Cassidy said:
stabnex said:
Even if it did, Crash doesn't entirely deserve that fate. His games are actually fun. Sonic just has one move: run fast while collecting drug money.

One franchise I'm actually glad to not see anything since PS2: Twisted Metal. Same game, same old fighters every time.
At least Sonic pulled out at least a decent one every now and then.
Name one decent Sonic game that isn't one of the first three.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
paroxysm11 said:
With no offense to any Sega fan, and several tears on my part, Sonic. He should be dead by now.
Blackpaw said:
I've got two. Sonic and Mario >.>
Supreme Unleaded said:
and all the Wii games. what i mean is Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit.
"What is a franchise that ended, and totally needed to end?"
Seriously, guys.
Fucking reading comprehension.
Well these franchises NEED TO END, is that our fault. And right now I can't think of a franchise that I'm glad it ended.

there are plenty of franchises that I wish kept going (SSX, Star Wars Battlefront (you have to admit it was fun))

leviandhisshenmue

Aug 5, 2009
Hiranobu Sakaguchi is now the head of Mistwalker Studios I think. You know the guys who did Blue dragon and Lost Odessy , both still using the same tired boring turnbased battle system. He left Sqaursoft shortly after the release of that horrible Final Fantasy Movie.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Bubsy is going to win this thread by a landslide but let me slip and honorable mention to the Fuzion Frenzy series. A bunch of boring, generic mini-game crap before the Wii was even doing it.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
paroxysm11 said:
With no offense to any Sega fan, and several tears on my part, Sonic. He should be dead by now.
Blackpaw said:
I've got two. Sonic and Mario >.>
Supreme Unleaded said:
and all the Wii games. what i mean is Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit.
"What is a franchise that ended, and totally needed to end?"
Seriously, guys.
Fucking reading comprehension.
And I'm noticing that the majority still don't understand after your and Bored Tomatoe's posts.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
The "Racer" series by the dead company 'Davilex'. If you never heard or played any of the "Racer" games (A2 Racer, Autobahn Raser, M25 Racer, all the same game), you should play it for shits and giggles. You'll probably cry.

AbuFace

Jul 8, 2009
Chrono and Lufia.

The Chrono series (Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross) were masterpieces; adding another game on to them would spoil the legend that was left by these two games. I am not necessarily against another game being developed for this series, but the hype that would surround another Chrono game would be so high that no matter how good the game itself were, it would be considered a failure.

Lufia was great on the SNES, was decent on the GBA, and stopped there. There were two more titles planned, but Neverland realized the franchise had peaked and was going downhill. They wisely stopped development there to avoid tarnishing the series.

I'm not saying that these franchises deserved to die in the sense that they were horrible manifestations that needed to cease existing. I'm saying that these two franchises were brilliant games, and were laid to rest before they overstayed their welcome. Kind of like how a performer bows and bids the audience goodnight after a solid performance instead of staying onstage as long as possible until they're booed off.

VastShadowz41

Aug 5, 2009
leviandhisshenmue said:
Medal of Honor anything needs to die.

All of those damn History Channel Games need to stop being made. = Agreed

Barring what Kojima is able to the series any 3D Castlevania game. =No comment

The Megaman X Series of games =No comment

Twisted Metal = Haven't played one in ages, I assume they're milking it?

Gauntlet Legends = No comment

Mario Party = Previous games were fun back in the day.

Big Mother Truckers = Heck yes.

Those stupid Cebala's Big Game Hunter games = Sure, why not?

Bionic Commando should've stayed dead = Yep.

Virtua Fighter and Tekken (Just because I hate both of those Fighting Series) SC & DOA FTW!!

Night Caster =No comment

Time Crisis = Aw..but I like their arcade games.

Tenchu

on an similiar but unrelated note Franchises I think need to be Brought Back

SHENMUE (How bout a game of Lucky Hit?)

Maximo (Ghost and Gouls)

Perfect Dark = Perfect Dark 64 is coming to XBLA. Rejoice. Perfect Dark Zero can stay dead though.

Time Splitters = I think a Timesplitters game is being worked on.

Conkers Bad Fur Day = Absolutely yes.

Jak and Daxter = No comment

Panzer Dragoon = No comment

Shinobi= Still no comment

The Thing (one of the scariest games I've ever played)= Nooooo comment

Flying Dragon (It sucked but I loved it)

Pokemon Stadium Series = It was fun back in the day but..I dunno man. Now I'm starting to judge you.

Oddworld Games = Now that's old school.

Fatal Fury (Just give me an HD Remix of Mark of the Wolves...)