What's Dark Souls, why is Ace Attorney as big a deal as it is, and have Atlus ever done anything?

Nopenahnuhuh

Nov 17, 2009
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti-troll shield activated.

Everyone out of it's confines have been trolled.
Ignore him and he'll go away.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case of not-troll:

Have you ever played the games? The games Atlus releases are literal breaths of fresh air from a very formulaic industry going through an FPS Renaissance.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
So you're upset because people liked the games and you didn't? Oh well go play something else. I personally love Atlus games, and the Phoenix Wright series and the spin off series from that Edgeworth. I can understand that the taste of these games may not be for everyone but that's what is so great about gaming. There are a lot of other things to choose from then.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
$10 says the whole reason this thread was started was so OP could get a badge for having a hot thread. Tell you what though, I'll bite and enlighten you on your topic even though it's clearly just to bait people into posting.

Dark Souls is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, which was a very well received game because the game had fun kicking your teeth in and laughing in your face while you tried to overcome it's absolutely brutal difficulty. Many people feel games nowadays are too easy, so for them this was a refreshing change of pace.

Atlas are known for bringing JRPGs of more...weird designs to English speaking countries, and they are all very good games. Catherine was the most recent one, and as reviews and word of mouth will tell you the game is very, very good. They also brought over the Persona series which is phenomenal, Odin Sphere which is a great game that sadly more people didn't play, and a few other games that I can't remember off the top of my head. Their reputation for bringing quality games to the shores of other countries has made them quite popular, and for good reason.

The Ace Attorney games are quite more than simply shouting Objection. They are a style of game that no one had done before, or if it has been done it definitely wasn't done well enough to be remembered. They were well written, had some great humor, gameplay both in and out of the courtroom was amazing, and the characters are some that most gamers will remember for their entire lives. While replay value requires you to wait until you forget what happened in a case, or at lest that's the case for me anyway, they are great games which are really well put together. Even if it is sad that Phoenix Wright got replaced by someone who looks like he's in middle school...

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Kudos to you, i never thought someone would manage to insult my two favourite games in one post...

Excuse me i need to go punch a wall... Should i scream Objection! Or PERSONA! While doing so?

Choices, choices...

Oh yeah go play Persona 4 when you're through being cynical, then you'll see why everyone loves Atlus (baist gaem evar and all that)

And Dark Souls is the sequel to Demon's Souls (i think)
I agree, its a spiritual sequel, I'll scream objection.

Witty Name Here said:
Dark Souls is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, and it's more then "Just every other mediaeval game" the game is BRUTALLY difficult, it looks like it might be the most difficult game of the year.
AND FAIR!

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
1. Think of Dark Souls as the contemporary Contra. Provided that the difficulty lives up to its predecessor.

2.Atlus appeals to a very different group of people from the "niche" crowd. Their games are very different from the mainstream in a good way. While I do believe Catherine is an okay game, it isn't really the best representation of Atlus's work. I admit the story was mediocre but I doubt it was meant to be story heavy. The puzzle gameplay is what the entire game revolves around. It was very unique and fun and I was glad to play something different. But, if you want to see the games that really get people excited for what Atlus comes up with, try out Trauma center, Disgaea, Knights in the Nightmare, Persona 3 or 4(Which are my favorite games ever), or better yet, Demon's Souls; the predecessor to Dark Souls that is also getting everyone so hyped up.

3. I've played 3 of the Ace Attourney games and remember the details of every case including the culprit, victim, suspects, murder weapons, etc. How dare you insult my knowledge of these games! I don't even know you anymore! /drama

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
CrankyStorming said:
Have any of you ever stopped to think just how weird we, as a community, are?
No.

CrankyStorming said:
Just looking through this forum, I found several threads about a game called Dark Souls that I've never even heard of, and after reading articles I still don't really know.
Grand, so you obviously have terrible reading comprehension or maybe some form of debilitating brain-injury, that´s cool, not everybody can grasp all those big words all at once.

CrankyStorming said:
And what does it ever amount to?
Good games ? Decent storylines ? Your confusion ? Which can technically be counted as neural-activity. Which is a plus in and off itself.

CrankyStorming said:
Maybe if they made non-collectors editions for once, I might actually buy their games. I tell a lie,
Oh you clever jokester, you.

CrankyStorming said:
Everyone keeps begging Level 5 to release this one game. You know the one,
No I don´t.
Care to elaborant ?

CrankyStorming said:
the one that combines the intelligence and thought behind their man in a top hat with an internet meme from about 5 years ago.
Oh yeah, "Chuck Norris´ Tophat Adventure", I remember that.
Also, you might want to consider using intersentence punctuation. Maybe you´ll grow to like it.

CrankyStorming said:
And that game gets all this commotion when a game Level 5 DID release a few months ago by (I presume) the same writing duo of Hino and Shinkai about football that all the critics seem to be in disagreement about has been ignored completely by us, not even one link to a US petition.
And here I give up.

Dear god, can´t you people even put A LITTLE effort into your goddamn content-free posts ?
Did you even read this thing a single ****ing time ? Maybe after your head stopped hurting from writing by bashing your skull against the keyboard ?
You know, should you ever, by purest chance most likely, stumble somewhere near a coherent point, you just might want to consider making it.

Oh yeah, I also kind of agree with you.
Atlus games get kind of overhyped.
At least I pray that´s what your point was. Because I´m genuinely not sure if that is the case.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
And those all happen to be Japanese games. Hmm...

Seriously, the original post can be summed up like this: "Why do we care about new things or different things?!"

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Kudos to you, i never thought someone would manage to insult my two favourite games in one post...

Excuse me i need to go punch a wall... Should i scream Objection! Or PERSONA! While doing so?

Choices, choices...

Oh yeah go play Persona 4 when you're through being cynical, then you'll see why everyone loves Atlus (baist gaem evar and all that)

And Dark Souls is the sequel to Demon's Souls (i think)
Ya it woulda been if Persona 4's story was a complete lie and lied to you the entire game and how the characters relationships actually arnt all that strong and there not really that close AND THAT ENDING, Oh my God i hate this game!

Sorry just whenever someone brings up Persona 4 i get so made, I've never hated a game so much. The game just lies to you, it really does. It could have been a masterpiece but its my least favorite game, a games never made me so mad....

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Furioso said:
A: Dark Souls didn't come from nothing, its the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, a very well received game
B: As far as I am concerned Atlus has one of the most consistently good track records for games, from Snowboard kids to Catherine to Persona I love all of their games, and so do a lot of people, there's no right to throw such venom at us
C: Just because you think all we care about in Ace Attorney is OBJECTION doesn't mean everyone else does
more or less this, and Atlus is really the only source i trust for quality 'JRPG'S. granted not all they games they release are winners, but they have a track record for being consistently good, if not great for releases

and Dark Souls didn't just 'come out of no where' it was actually announced LONG before i heard anything about Skyrim (and this being the site it is, you pretty much know about new ES games, like 5 seconds after its announced)

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
Well Dark Souls' I'll admit I don't care about, but Ace Attorney has some of the best localisation ever seen in videogaming. It's got a cast of great, loveable characters and a compelling narrative with some great music and visuals. Probably the reason it's so hyped is because it's a truly outstanding series in a genre that's very underserved in the west.

And Atlus not ever doing anything? Uh...the MegaTen franchise? It's a bit cult in the west, but MegaTen is a big deal. Persona 4 is obviously a title that must have come up before on this thread but it's a truly exceptional game in terms of themes and character development.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
Kasawd said:
Dark Souls is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls and it deserves the name. It makes Demon's Souls look easy.
Really? Looks like I'll be getting it then. God damn my masochistic gaming tendencies T_T

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
Legion IV said:
]
Ya it woulda been if Persona 4's story was a complete lie and lied to you the entire game and how the characters relationships actually arnt all that strong and there not really that close AND THAT ENDING, Oh my God i hate this game!

Sorry just whenever someone brings up Persona 4 i get so made, I've never hated a game so much. The game just lies to you, it really does. It could have been a masterpiece but its my least favorite game, a games never made me so mad....
Uh, that's the bad ending dude. There's also the Good ending and the True ending. It's just that finding them takes work in developing an understanding of the characters and building up social links and in the case of the True ending, carrying on the game even after it says it's over because there's some plot threads still dangling because of the whole 'strive to find the truth instead of taking the easiest path' theme that's the entire core and purpose of the game.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Maybe if they made non-collectors editions for once
Ummm... wha?

Suppose I should go throw all my non-collector's editions in the bin then, since they don't exist. Either that or see a shrink because I'm seeing things that aren't real.

Susan Arendt said:
So just let those of us who enjoy them do so in peace. We're not hurting anything, and you're not "missing" anything. Just different strokes, is all.
I dunno about that. The way some people react to us liking certain games/genres leads me to believe that we are indeed causing them physical and/or emotional trauma.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
dark souls may look kinda generic but it anything but. the combat is really tight and punishing the game loves to kick your ass and send you back to the last checkpoint. it don't give a fuck about anything other than killing your ass and every time you die it's because you weren't good enough. this is a game that you actually have to get better at, sure you level up but all the levels in the world won't help if your skill isn't there

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
MightyRabbit said:
Legion IV said:
]

Uh, that's the bad ending dude. There's also the Good ending and the True ending. It's just that finding them takes work in developing an understanding of the characters and building up social links and in the case of the True ending, carrying on the game even after it says it's over because there's some plot threads still dangling because of the whole 'strive to find the truth instead of taking the easiest path' theme that's the entire core and purpose of the game.
The truth ending is where you save the world then LEAVE right?

I got the true ending and thats what pissed me off. I'll try to quickly say why i hate it so.

In the beginning i believe hes just gonna stay there for a year. Its understandable your visiting ect ect.

But if you max the social links and as you go through the story the game tells you these are like inseparable relationship's one of a kind friends that could NEVER EVER be replaced and i was having a BLAST i was SO enthralled, i was like The main characters gonna decide to stay its the only LOGICAL REASON TO STAY.

Dojima is basically your father figure and he would let you move in, all thats waiting at home is what? your parents? wouldn't it make more logical sense to move in with Dojima and hang out with your Soulmates of friends and even GFS if you so choose?

Just its ALL a lie. Thats it, if i had those friends i would stay my parents would understand I'd visit my parents all the time but i cant leave these people why on earth WOULD I why why why! Am sorry am not trying to be a troll if you haven't found out already i was ready to call this game a masterpiece i was so in love with the characters and story and then they throw this ilogical ending for what a tear jerker?

No its a joke theres two answers here. Where the friendships you made just replaceable like everyday friends, or did they just think AH we need a pointless tear jerker ending!

Thats my reason.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Nick Stackware said:
Kasawd said:
Dark Souls is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls and it deserves the name. It makes Demon's Souls look easy.
Really? Looks like I'll be getting it then. God damn my masochistic gaming tendencies T_T
15 hours in and I can confirm, Dark Souls is way tougher then Demon's Souls, it makes it look like child's play.

Kirbys

Sep 15, 2011
The reason why the Ace Attorney series is that it's funny. Phoenix gets to be that lovable character when he is freaks out about the weirdest things that go around him. I mean he passed out while some girl channels her dead sister, gets whipped and burned by coffee by prosecutors, gets mauled by a bear, and... Wow this seems a bit weird now. Anyways what makes the series good is that it has an entertaining standard that balances with the blandness of a courtroom in real life.. Not only is their comedy something that is the main thing but the series (up until Ace Apollo which wasn't my favorite) is good with character development which only advances around with Phoenix, Maya (the channeling girl I mentioned above) and his friend/rival Miles Edgeworth.