Whats next for Bioshock?

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
I like the idea of spiritual successors that are all about ideas and less about setting and game play.

I think that's where Bio-shock is going, even as far back as system shock its been a big ideas sort of series that used divisive gameplay or narrative techniques to explore big ideas. I think its a great series with allot of places to go so long as people are able to meet any drastic changes to the series half way.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
Make System Shock 3... But don't call it that (and no not a spiritual successor don't be a smart ass and tell me Bioshock)
Then everyone will laugh and enjoy a new system shock game hooray

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The only thing I could think of:

A city inside an active volcano

I personally would end it after these DLC's but thats the only idea I could think of.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
the next Bioshock game will be two pieces of turds throwing themselves at eachother for 3 hours, with no possible player interaction. It will be heralded as the greatest game of it's generation.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I think it'd be smarter to make a System Shock 3 because obviously SHODAN didn't die at the end of 2, and it's been something like 14-15 years of that being unresolved.

While Infinite wasn't that bad I felt like it was an unnecessary game because it's plot is completely unrelated to either BioShock 1 or 2. Last time a Shock game didn't relate to the previous one it had a different name, and it's name was BioShock.

So yeah, I think BioShock should either end or maybe give us a prequel type game showing us the downfall of Rapture (other than BioShock 2's multiplayer), regardless I hope we don't see a return of the needlessly gory Infinite art style where everyone is even more cartoon-ish than before.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
They're probably going to do one within space.
They already did that, it is the System Shock series.

Would be cool if they would remake the first game cuz it really needs an uplift

http://i.imgur.com/KnAyHxF.png

http://i.imgur.com/wT8x6Hy.jpg

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
how about gameplay?
because while i really liked bioshock infinite it's probably the last time i will except lousy gameplay for a good story. Either give me proper shooter mechanics and a world where murdering everyone i meet does not make me feel like a crazy murderer or give me other mechanics, i mean you had mechanics to jump in and out of dimensions, how great would that be for an adventure game(or stealth were killing people is severely punished).

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
TheKasp said:
I would really appreciate if they'd patch in gameplay fun. The two weapon limit just kills it for me with all those fancy peashooters around that I either can't use because I haven't upgraded them or can't upgrade them because I prefer to use a wide variety of weapons.
yeahh, this really disappointed me in infinite. you either were jack of all trades, master of none with upgrades or have 2 or 3 which are fully upgraded, but when theres no ammo/wrong tool for the job you're boned.

OT: i hope they carry on, but under a new title. similar to system shock to bioshock, i'd like the general format to continue but in a different universe. plotwise i really don't think bioshock can go anywhere

AITH

Apr 10, 2013
I had been following Bioshock Infinite for 2-3 years prior to its release. I saw exceptional gameplay videos that I were later chastised for believing was in the game because "it was just a demo". Considering I saw what Infinite could have been and failed to deliver upon (at least in my mind), I have no desire to see another Bioshock game, and if I do, I will be vary wary of any promises or "demos" for it.

If it just has to be made however, I think a space setting would be the most fitting. It's already been done with System Shock but exploring a space station orbiting beautiful and wondrous things would be comparable to Rapture for me.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Guy from the 80 said:
I enjoyed Infinite but I'm starting to grow tired of the Bioshock formula. Play as some mysterious person, play linear path to bad guy that talks to you via radio, "talk" to plot characters you cant interact with, finish game without any choices what so ever.
That's actually kinda why there CAN'T be another Bioshock, or at least there shouldn't be one. And not just from a gameplay/mechanical standpoint.

They've let the cat out of the bag with the ending to Infinite. "There will always be a man, a city, and a lighthouse". That implies that the general story has been told in many different ways. When you think about it, the stories of Infinite and BS2 are VERY similar from plotpoint to plotpoint. Delta = Booker, Eleanor = Elizabeth, Lamb = Comstock. Delta and Booker are both father-figures trying to get their daughters (in one case figurative, in the other literal) back. The daughters have been kidnapped by power-mad leaders that literally have a cultish/religious following (the people in Rapture worship Lamb just as the people of Columbia worship Comstock). Said leaders are wanting to use the power of the girls to utterly change the world which they believe is overgrown with filth (Comstock wants to have Elizabeth go on to lead a fiery purge of destruction on the world below while Lamb wants Eleanor to go and establish a new world order as the smartest, most powerful being on the planet...or something like that :p).

The point is that they actually made the Bioshock formula kinda part of the story itself. In worlds in which Comstock never rose to power because Booker never went through with the baptism, that allowed for Andrew Ryan to rise to power and create Rapture. From this point on, every game would essentially follow the exact same formula: "A man (deranged leader), a city (in an extremely unlikely place), and a lighthouse (the symbol that connects them all)."

Beyond that where would they build the next city, hmm? They've gone under the sea, into the sky...there's not really that many "impossible to build there/fantastical location" places left. Unless they'd like to say that steampunk early 1900's technology had already reached into outer space. :p
Ken Levine and Irrational were not involved with Bioshock 2, pretty sure it's considered non-canon.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
After Infinite it better stop and don't go anywhere else.
I'll just wait for Dishonored 2 and, with little hope, Thief 4.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
RJ 17 said:
Guy from the 80 said:
I enjoyed Infinite but I'm starting to grow tired of the Bioshock formula. Play as some mysterious person, play linear path to bad guy that talks to you via radio, "talk" to plot characters you cant interact with, finish game without any choices what so ever.
That's actually kinda why there CAN'T be another Bioshock, or at least there shouldn't be one. And not just from a gameplay/mechanical standpoint.

They've let the cat out of the bag with the ending to Infinite. "There will always be a man, a city, and a lighthouse". That implies that the general story has been told in many different ways. When you think about it, the stories of Infinite and BS2 are VERY similar from plotpoint to plotpoint. Delta = Booker, Eleanor = Elizabeth, Lamb = Comstock. Delta and Booker are both father-figures trying to get their daughters (in one case figurative, in the other literal) back. The daughters have been kidnapped by power-mad leaders that literally have a cultish/religious following (the people in Rapture worship Lamb just as the people of Columbia worship Comstock). Said leaders are wanting to use the power of the girls to utterly change the world which they believe is overgrown with filth (Comstock wants to have Elizabeth go on to lead a fiery purge of destruction on the world below while Lamb wants Eleanor to go and establish a new world order as the smartest, most powerful being on the planet...or something like that :p).

The point is that they actually made the Bioshock formula kinda part of the story itself. In worlds in which Comstock never rose to power because Booker never went through with the baptism, that allowed for Andrew Ryan to rise to power and create Rapture. From this point on, every game would essentially follow the exact same formula: "A man (deranged leader), a city (in an extremely unlikely place), and a lighthouse (the symbol that connects them all)."

Beyond that where would they build the next city, hmm? They've gone under the sea, into the sky...there's not really that many "impossible to build there/fantastical location" places left. Unless they'd like to say that steampunk early 1900's technology had already reached into outer space. :p
Ken Levine and Irrational were not involved with Bioshock 2, pretty sure it's considered non-canon.
And I'm pretty that has nothing to do with the fact that the stories are damn-near identical, nor does it change the fact that Elizabeth pretty much tells you straight-up than any future story will be damn-near identical as well.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Shocksplicer said:
RJ 17 said:
Guy from the 80 said:

And I'm pretty that has nothing to do with the fact that the stories are damn-near identical, nor does it change the fact that Elizabeth pretty much tells you straight-up than any future story will be damn-near identical as well.
No need to get stroppy, just saying that, as far as Infinite is concerned, 2 never happened.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I honestly couldn't care less where it's set next, just make the game fun again. I can accept a game like Spec Ops: The Line for being a bit dull because there was a well-justified reason for it, I admit it could have gone the other way by being fun but I think the path they took was fine, but Bioshock: Infinite has no such commentary or message behind the killing and if there was they need to do a better job of conveying it. When playing Infinite I was appalled me to see they had somehow gone backwards from Bioshock 2 and 1. How do you even do that? Dual-wielding was brilliant, why did they decide not to use it? Hacking, tonics and multiple weapon-carrying all taken out. Okay there 'clothes' but again, a step backwards in my opinion. Apologies for the overly-critical tone but it just really baffles me how they dun goofed something 2K Martin improved for them.

John Mcgregor

Apr 23, 2012
Bioshock has had my fun, bioshock 1 still is in my top 5 games to replay for fun. Bioshock 2 just wasnt as good as 1 even if it bioshock in the name. Bioshock infinite was a great game, the ending was nice and hard to follow. Bioshock has had its fun but it needs to retire now, its at its peak, and needs to stop now before it continues and ruins the rest of the series. Let them finish the 3 dlc they have planned or promised but then just let it go.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
No need to get stroppy, just saying that, as far as Infinite is concerned, 2 never happened.
It's all good, I didn't mean to sound snappy but tone doesn't carry very well into text. :p

All my point has been was that the stories are very similar and, as I mentioned, Elizabeth basically tells you that every story afterwards will be very similar as well. All in all I think it's time for Bioshock to be put to a rest before it overstays its welcome.

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, and there's always a city. If you were to break down these phrases to their must base form it reads. There is always a beacon calling for someone to come on an adventure, their is always someone that is willing to answer the call to adventure, and their is always a fantastic place just waiting to be discovered. By this logic, every game that is and will ever be is BioShock in some form or another. Hyrule, Liberty City, and Dunwall are in their own way just reflections of The Von Braun, Rapture, and Columbia just as Link, Niko, and Corvo are reflections of The Soldier, Jack, and Booker. That is what I feel is the idea that BioShock Infinite was trying to communicate without flat out telling us. That the name and number of a game doesn't matter. What matters is that we have fun and if we don't their are an million other games we can choose from that may give us what we want. It's kind of funny we always complain about how we think that an idea or concept is getting old or is ruining gaming, yet the games we champion must are series that have barely changed at all. The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, Grand Thieft Auto are all practically the same game, but each one has it's own unique twists, pros and cons, and ups and down. I don't think BioShock Infinite is a perfect game, but maybe the next BioShock get a little closer to that nirvana. As long as BioShock continues to try new things or improve upon old ideas then I eagerly await the next game in the series.

Pinkscare

Wearin' Steam Badges
Jul 19, 2013
Where could they go next? Inside the Earth?

Think of Daniel Day Lewis from There Will Be Blood. Think Minecraft. Don't think of blocky pixels.