What's next for the Warhammer 40K games now that THQ is over and SEGA owns Relic?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Therarchos said:
I am surprised that no one posted this link yet.

http://www.sega.com/news/?n=5747

"Warhammer: total war" Hell yeah
How the heck this will work? Do you expect a army in wahammer universe make an.......alliance with another army? THIS IS HERESY!!!!

Seriously now, I am very curious how they will make it really work.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
SweetShark said:
Therarchos said:

How the heck this will work? Do you expect a army in wahammer universe make an.......alliance with another army? THIS IS HERESY!!!!

Has happened in the fluff before.

Empire, Bretonians, Dwarves, High Elves, all allied at various points to fight Chaos.

The three Chaos factions have all allied to invade the Empire

Chaos and Dark Elves have allied before.

The Skaven will try to "ally" with pretty much anyone while planning a backstab.

Ogres will fight for anyone if the price is right.

Even in 40k. The Imperium has fought with Eldar and Tau (fuck Matt Ward, not with the Necrons). Orks and Dark Eldar have both done mercenary work (true, it rarely works out well for the employer, but still). Only the Tyranids have never allied up before.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Megalodon said:
SweetShark said:
Therarchos said:

Empire, Bretonians, Dwarves, High Elves, all allied at various points to fight Chaos.

The three Cahos factions have all allied to invade the Empire

The Skaven will try to "ally" with pretty much anyone while planning a backstab.

Even in 40k. The Imperium has fought with Eldar and Tau (fuck Matt Ward, not with the Necrons). Orks and Dark Eldar have both done mercenary work (true, it rarelt works out well for the employer, but still). Only the Tyranids have never allied up before.
It seems my knowledge about Warhammer universe is really low......
Joke on me then.

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
I always suggest this in these kind of threads but what I think the 40k videogame universe really needs is a Necomunda game.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Necromunda?from=Main.Necromunda <- Weirdly Tvtropes has the best summary of this game I could find at short notice

A clan/class based team shoot/stab-em-up with RPG style progression and weapon customisation.

Log in - select house - join as a new recruit and level your way up to being the toughest guy in the house.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Megalodon said:
SweetShark said:
Therarchos said:

The three Chaos factions have all allied to invade the Empire

Even in 40k. The Imperium has fought with Eldar and Tau (fuck Matt Ward, not with the Necrons). Orks and Dark Eldar have both done mercenary work (true, it rarely works out well for the employer, but still). Only the Tyranids have never allied up before.
Pretty sure that Bretonnians and Wood Elves have some sort of mutually beneficial alliance, wherein they agree to support the other in case of war. Furthermore, Dark Elves and Skaven have a co-operation treaty with each other, which I find pretty hilarious xD (Sources: http://warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Elves "The Skaven are one of the few races that has a treaty with the Dark Elves (which the Dark Elves actually honour)." and http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Wood_Elves " As a consequence the Wood Elves have established an alliance with Bretonnia").

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I can see Relic being contracted to make more 40k games in the future regardless of their new publisher; as long as Sega greenlight the project it'll be made. GW know by now that Relic have a great sense for the fluff, and both the talent and passion (as well as experience at this point) to make good 40k games are most definitely there.

While Sega have a stake in the PC gaming market, I still think they're more console-oriented, so maybe we'll get to see a sequel to Space Marine, which I would like very much. Then again I have no idea what happened to SM's development team, maybe they're all scattered by now...

Another thing I'd love to see is what I imagine Dark Millennium could have been if Vigil hadn't just gone the way of the dodo in the wake of the THQ asset auction. A singleplayer RPG with refined, intense combat (both for melee and ranged) and an entire subsector as your playground; to make it a more coherent experience, instead of making a whole bunch of species available for play they could set it to one specific race or faction... I imagine something in the vein of KotOR with better (i.e. fluid) combat, themed around an Inquisitor and their retinue. Sort of like Dark Heresy as a videogame, you know.

Also, since Dawn of War is a quality franchise of respectable size and notoriety at this point, I believe Sega will be smart enough to approach GW for permission to let Relic keep working on DoW3.

nykirnsu

Oct 13, 2012
Windcaler said:
nykirnsu said:
Windcaler said:
Well what I hope happens is nothing. Relic keeps expanding on Dow2 till they have all the races in it and then considers Dow3. Although I wouldnt mind them making a "Space Marine" game for the other races. Orks could be a hilarious yet still serious title thats frankly needed. I dont feel like Dow2 or Space marine really touched on what ork society is really like

I would also like to see a Space Marine 2 but with less linearity (I dont think the game was that bad but I think it could be served by giving multiple paths and a little more room to explore the interesting set pieces). Im also interested to see what would happen to Captain Titus after the inquisition got ahold of him
If they have to do another space marine-based shooter I'd rather it be based around another chapter, with maybe Titus as an important side character. Considering how generic Ultramarines usually are I'd rather Space Marine's great gameplay be applied to a more interesting part of the universe. An Ork shooter sounds like a great idea though, taking the functionality of Space Marine and applying to one of the more light-hearted race. I'd like to see the same treatment given to some other less popular races (someone mentioned dark eldar, make it happen).
To be fair the developers chose the ultramarines because theyre the generic ones. They wanted to make an experience that was "space mariney" without all the individual chapter stuff with it. So they chose the most genetic of the chapters to get that across. Space marine was a game made to say "This is what a space marine is. This is how they live. This is how they fight. This is what they believe."
Yeah, I get that. The way I see Space Marine (be it a single game or a series) is more or less as a proof-of-concept. Now that relic's got the boring stuff out of the way they can move into applying this gameplay type into more interesting things. Although, some clarification should still be given about Titus.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I'd actually really like to see a direct port of the tabletop game in a PC game format.

Sell the game either in starter packs for each race or with just a one time option to choose which race you want.
From there offer additional units as DLC boosters for each army.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
How about a Walking Dead style game staring an Inquisitor? It could work for some parts, and maybe the controls could be used to combine it with a Third Person Shooter. It could be written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden!

Or maybe we could get something similar to Mass Effect, where you play as a Rouge Trader. Upgrade your ship, upgrade your dudes, get cash, blow shit up...

Linus de Laarschot

Sep 3, 2012
I just hope they won't wrangle 40k into some damp washcloth shadow of what the previous games made it turn out to be. The entire franchise so far has been nothing but good and i sincerely hope sega knows how to carry the torch now that THQ is out of the loop. Then again, it mainly boils down to Relic, but still.

Also if any sega representatives are reading this, don't be heretics... Would hate to have to start dropping imperial titans on your house :)

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Bifford said:
I'd be interested in a Mass Effect-style game where you play an Inquisitor.
I would love that game! Even just for the control set. WASD to move, mouse to look and fire, E to consign a billion souls to oblivion.

Ooooh with a GTA style wanted system for being heretical (or radical, if you're so heretical to call it that). * Is Arbites, ** is storm troopers, *** is the Ordo Hereticus, **** is the assassinorum, ***** is the Grey Knights. Feel free to contact me to let me know it isn't Hereticus that hunts down rogue inquisitors. I remember the dude in Eisenhorn that was really bad at his job, but I can't remember for the life of me who he worked for.

OT: Well the fact that they haven't denied it either is good news. Relic makes good 40k games and I'd definitely like them to keep going. Also I want Dark Millennium, like now.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest I'd like to see a Mass Effect/Dragon Age Origins like RPG based around Inquisitor or Rogue Trader. The former would probably work best from the perspective of story telling.

Travel from planet to planet, hunting down heretics, uncover the big plot set to decimate the entire imperium, gradually collect and customize your own entourage of warriors and investigators to accompany you. You'd also have room to heavily customize a character like this, does your character fight melee, use ranged weapons, focus on Psi, wear powered armor, or some combination of the above? Do you pursue your investigations behind the scenes, being subtle, make a big scene for purposes of imperial morale (and to make a point), or some combination of the above acting more like a police officer?

From a Rogue Trader perspective I could see a game where you build your entire main crew, customize your ship, and then freeboot around the galaxy, trading illicitly with Xenos, smuggling, working with (or running from) the Inquisition and authorities, and working through some metaplot leading to that uber-score of Archaotech.

The point here is that while at it's core Warhammer 40k is about clasing armies (being based on a minatures game) there is far more to it than that. There is some serious RPG potential there, and to be honest while the results of PnP RPGs on the subject have been mixed (fairly successful novel series though), a video game focusing on the greater details of the universe other than who winds up in the crosshairs of Chapter X (or which faction of Chaos/Xenos your rampaging through the Imperium with at the moment) could be pretty decent.

Don't get me wrong, I love Warhammer 40k's video games so far, but I seem room for other franchises. If they DO develop an RPG though they should be careful to make sure it's a new franchise as opposed to say slapping the "Dawn Of War" name on it or whatever.

Also if they *DO* make a new strategy/tactical game, it might be interesting if they decided to work with Necromunda and the clashing hive gangs, rather than usual suspects.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
While money hungry, I very much doubt GW will want to go on the risky adventures on any of the games proposed here.

More likely we will just see more of DoW and maybe a space marine sequel. Dark millenium? hah forget about it.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
If they do end up making another Dawn of War game I want another game like DoW II: Retribution. That game was the best DoW I've ever played.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
I suspect they'll acquire the license and just have Relic carry on with Dawn of War 3, and it will look and feel very much like Dawn of War 2 did.
I hope not. I like Dawn of War 1 much better.

I tell you I am HYPED for this Total War: Warhammer Fantasy game we're getting though. So frickin' hyped.
wait that is a thing? Is it going to be made by Relic/Sega or is it a mod by the fans?

OT: Well, I don't know, but I really hope they go back to Dawn of War 1's style of gameplay. I prefer making big groups to crush the baddies, not controlling a squad(Though Xcom: Enemy Unknown was amazing).

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Well i want a Dawn of War 3. Tha player base right now is so low it makes me sad considering the numbers there used to be back in my dow2live casting days :( im in a search for a 3v3 ranked as we speak, its been 15 mins.

I really would like a Space Marine 2 that was very good, but left me with a big BUT. As from what i saw from very early trailers they cut out alot, then THQ started to get broken and both Dawn of War 2 Retri and Space Marine did not get the after release care they needed. Games For Windows Live !

They have been busy with the 40k ip Space Hulk has come out and looks great not got it yet. The MMO sounds GREAT, just wait to see some gameplay footage or a trailer at least. And there is another space hulk game coming out an FPS, and ANOTHER game with Space Wolves.

Should The God Emperor will it i shall be crusading in His name in Dawn of War 3 once more.