What's so bad about Far Cry 2?

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
"Hmm well, I wouldn't say bad, I mean I myself didn't enjoy the game as I found it very boring."

"However that doesn't mean other people hate it as well, after all to each his own opinion".

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Just too boring.

Plus, respawning enemy camps after you've just ripped one to pieces is possibly the most annoying thing ever.

This is how a mission goes:

1) Get weapons + health after receiving objectives
2) Pass anywhere between 2-6 enemy camps and waist all ammo and health
3) Detour to another ammo stop and re-equip
4) Pass at least 1 more guard camp, waist more supplies
5) Attempt to sneak in on objective, get seen, shoot everything in site
6) Proceed to next objective, but due to tiny health reserve use up your buddy rescue after falling off of a rock that's a bit too high. Alternatively, encounter an enemy camp you destroyed 5 minutes ago and use buddy ability.
7) Quit from annoyance/boredom

The story is fairly philosophical, but it's non-existent almost, save for 3 5 minute sections.

It wasn't awful, but I mean, a massive open map is fine but missions should still be more than driving for 15 minutes shooting for 5 and then rinsing and repeating.

kazork

Oct 16, 2007
After reading this thread i have the feeling that i played a different game.
I played it and i haven't encounterd any bugs.
I really enjoyed it. I liked the fights.
First sneaking close to a outpost the killing them one by one without being spotted. Or snipering the whole lot.

And of course the fire. I loved the fire. Starting the fire on one side of the a town/guardpost and attacking from the other side.

Because there are enough armory's around i always had new weapons and didn't experience a lot of jams.
I liked the bullet removal system it kept me more in the action then a health pack and the buddy system wich gave you another chance when you were shot down was great because it would keep you in the game (I hate going through menu's to reload give me more system's like the one in prince of persia or this one)

The only thing i can say is that it gets repetitive and the story is bad.

But if you can pick it up for 10 bucks i say do it you'll get at least 10 hours before it gets repetitive and that is an hour per buck.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I've completed the game twice and I will say even the first time round the submissions is what made it uninteresting the most.

To unlock the best weapons you have to resort to doing the same 'blow up the truck on the other side of the map' mission, and to get the diamonds to buy these weapons you'll have to take on a few 'assassinate some random guy in some random area' mission.

Had they just given you the main missions in a more linear pattern it'd have been much better.

Still, as you mention, the game is really cheap now (about £10 or less if you're in the UK) so it's well worth a check flaws or not.

Ernie Devlin

Sep 22, 2009
Whilst I enjoyed the game there were some flaws that stopped me from loving it.
-The constant long distance travel becomes tedious fast.
-Enemies respawning in camps and road stops ten minutes after obliterating the former enemies.
-Bus stops were too far apart to be considered a quick travel alternative.
- The African wild life consisted of zebras and buffalo (No lions, crocodiles, cheetahs?! what the hell?).

Apart from that it was a decent game imo.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I defeat all hate toward this game with one reason: The map generator.

Seriously. Spawn 100 explosive cans and then just blow them to hell. Do it with propane tanks and the fly everywhere. Or, put the cans in a line and watch the explosions.

Ahem. I for one, liked the characters. People moan about not liking them, but up agains games like GOW and Halo 3 they look like Matt Damon and Bruce Willis. Not that there's anything wrong with Halo 3 or GOW mind you, but they don't exactly have the best characters.

The scenery is nice too. Lotsa' nice, green, lush enviroments. Also, what isn't awesome about riding across Africa in a make shift dune buggy?

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
The bugs.

Far Cry 2 would be a fantastic game, if it worked. For so many players (this one included) it's ruined by the enormous number of crashes, glitches and game ending bugs.

By far the worst is the one that breaks your save if you save at 67%, that one has happened to me.
This, this, a thousand times this.
I loved the game, being all sneaky and picking off enemies with the dart gun and silenced weapons in the dead of night, the massive maps, the perks you can add to all of your safe houses, unlocking fancy new guns and explosives, the effing flamethrower...it was great.

Then it glitched. Every time I tried to save, it would erase whatever file I saved it to. Before I realized what was going on, I had erased about 4 hours of playing. Needless to say, I didn't play it again.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
What bugs and crashes are everyone talking about?
Brought the PC game and downloaded the updates and never saw a bug or a crash.

I never used the roads after I figured out that I couldn't be bothered to learn the routes of the traveling guardsmen. I barely drove thru checkpoints since the map allows you the option to drive around them. I never used a gun without aiming for the head for quick deaths. I used the tutorial to my benefit.

The game practically spells out to you that you don't have to kill everybody to get to your target. I never did find all the diamonds but I had enough to max out the best rifle, the best, rocket launcher and the best SMG.

I used the river and the buses and the jeeps and all the wide open spaces to my advantage. I would use the map's scope to scout out a target and figure out the best way to take it down with the best escape route.

If you like that sort of thing...then this game is for you.
If you like to take your time then you'll enjoy this game.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
I found the game to be alright if it weren't for the fact that where it falls down, it falls down hard and onto concrete with broken glass.

Firstly, spending half an hour just traveling to your objective isn't fun (and you will always have to travel a ridiculous distance since every person with a briefing will be guarenteed to be halfway across the map from where they will tell you to go).

Next, the ridiculous ease with which you can be killed just makes the already drawn out game frustrating when things get hectic. Having to reload a game from an hour ago because some jackass behind a wheel thought you'd be worth many points (cookie for the vague reference) was something that pissed me off on many occasions (this wouldn't be so bad if the first reaction of every enemy in a car wasn't to run you down).

Also, the complete and utter lack of any allies (besides you're rather flimsy buddies) not only got old (and quickly) but didn't make any sense.

Finally, infinately respawning enemies. That is all.

Other than those few issues Farcry 2 was a pretty good game (lack of any preservation for stealth notwithstanding).

Billy_Pilgrim

Aug 6, 2008
Corkydog said:
fix-the-spade said:
The bugs.

Far Cry 2 would be a fantastic game, if it worked. For so many players (this one included) it's ruined by the enormous number of crashes, glitches and game ending bugs.

By far the worst is the one that breaks your save if you save at 67%, that one has happened to me.
This, this, a thousand times this.
I loved the game, being all sneaky and picking off enemies with the dart gun and silenced weapons in the dead of night, the massive maps, the perks you can add to all of your safe houses, unlocking fancy new guns and explosives, the effing flamethrower...it was great.

Then it glitched. Every time I tried to save, it would erase whatever file I saved it to. Before I realized what was going on, I had erased about 4 hours of playing. Needless to say, I didn't play it again.
I have to agree. Other than the glitch that meant I had to beat the last quarter of the game without dying, I loved it.

The action was truly frantic, and even when my little plans didn't always go well, the game did a good job of making my improvs feel awesome. It's slower paced than your average shooter, but I'd say everyone should at least give it ago.

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
Cockney_Jesus said:
It looks pretty good from videos etc. but everyone's saying it's horrible? It's pretty cheap now so I'm wondering what exactly is so bad about it?

One of my friends loves it and says it's 'a combination of GTA and COD'...so a free roaming game in a warzone setting?
I personally liked it. Sniping in that game was particularly fun because if you acted like a real sniper and relocated after a few shots, you could do pretty well. I also liked the vast and detailed (something that rarely goes hand in hand) environment you were placed in.

Probably my only criticism is that it took awhile to get to place to place.

jakobhl

Sep 13, 2008
It's a pretty good game actually, but the missions get a tad repetitive. The controls (on consols) aren't as good as games like COD4 og Halo 3 either, but the action is really cool and rewards creative thinking. Give it a try, as you said, it's pretty cheap by now. The voice acting is pretty bad, but the story is somewhat decent (a lot of references to Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now, which is cool).

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
I didn't really play 2, but I played one. And I am sure my lease favourite parts are back, and some confirmed from above.
Uninteresting story, generic faceless characters, clunky control and game play, and bloody infuriating vehicle controls! Though the controls of a vehicle were much much much better in Crysis, so I will assume they are a bit better than the first Far Cry.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I never found any of the problems with my run through of the game.I found it to be really really fun.

mambodog

Jul 8, 2009
mainly:
the ridiculous amount of padding in the form of having to drive everywhere, often being forced to zigzag across the map for things that could have been communicated over the phone, and just generally repetitive, dull gameplay where for every minute of action, there's 5 mins of boringness. quantity (of game hours) does not equal quality.

also annoying:
the incredibly aggravating checkpoints that will respawn if you so much as look in the other direction, which you can't bypass as the checkpoint guards will always chase you in jeeps that are miraculously much faster than yours, often crashing into you head on at speed kamikaze style. which leads me to...
the retarded enemy ai. in combat the ai is really dull and often doesn't notice you when you're in plain sight, but on the other hand, sometimes you can be well hidden and they somehow see you off in the distance behind grass and bushes with their magic x-ray telescope eyes. ai in vehicles is especially awful, they drive like they can't see other people or vehicles at all, and if you shoot one of the guys in the vehicles, the others will often not notice at all.

wonkey20

Sep 24, 2009
Pretty well everything about it. Sure it kinda looks pretty but the part that I hate the most is how enemys can see you NO MATTER WHAT and from 10000000000 miles away.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
LordCuthberton said:
I think the problem is too much realism

But i enjoyed it, and so might you.
To much realism in the annoying health way not enough realism in the guns way, extremely inaccurate weapons, as contrary to their real life accuracy, also no quick travel with your vehicle being destroyed every half mile made the game unbearable. I made it halfway and when I realized that I had to do basically the same thing all over again I just quit. As I've stated many times it wins my worst game ever award.