Whats so great about Nintendo games?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Well, what is great about Nintendo is that it basically revived the gaming industry when it was poised on the brink of destruction thanks to Atari. PC's weren't about to save gaming at the time, and the NES did come in at the right time.
So I'd say that partially thanks to nintendo you have a great and wonderful hobby to thank them for saving from utter ruin and disaster and obscurity, or at least being set back quite a ways.
What really put PC's in the home? Games. Why did games get put on PC more? Consoles. Sorry but its true. Its damn true.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
I mean look at them now, sure they are making a ton of money via Amiibos. Which I have little interest in since I'm not really a collector of such figurines although that Woolly Yoshi is tempting.

But at the very same time - FREE GAME MODE DLC FOR MK8
200CC is a game changer, I've already spend a ton of time online in MK8. The new mode and the new tracks practically mean that since the release of MK8 they have nearly doubled the content of the game for $12.
I hope more tracks and characters are revealed at E3 for Christmas.

They are going to continue creating new characters and content for SSB, already voted Bayo for Smash. Personally I haven't bought SSB but starting to consider getting it when I buy Splatoon. Considering the pricing for characters in other fighting games doesn't seem pricing in SSB is out of the norm.

I don't know if they continue the support for the Wii U till the end of 2016 - I will back them with their next console.
I just don't know how I will get time to play other games when Witcher and Splatoon are released in May. Already building my new rig for the Witcher and Splatoon is one of the main reasons I bought a Wii U, my summer is pretty much booked up by those two games.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
joest01 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
DrOswald said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
No console is based off CoD, or any IP in particular. Take away CoD, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Halo, any of those colossi - whether they're exclusive to a system or not - and Sony/Microsoft are still standing. They haven't based their success or popularity on anything in particular, except the possibility that you can play (most) games on them. Yes, there're exclusives, if only to offer some sort of unique selling point that differentiates them from the competition. But they're not mooching off anything. Or at least, not mooching of One Thing. Take away Mario and/or Zelda from Nintendo, and Pokemon off handhelds, and they have nothing left. I don't care how many C-list IPs you can enumerate, or that Pitt is your favorite character: they lose most of their consumer base in a heartbeat. Their entire marketing is based around Mario. Their big launches are based around Mario. Their success, going back to the 80s, has always been based around Mario. And for reasons involving tradition, conservativism and brand recognition, they have to keep chucking out Mario games even when there's nothing more to say about Mario or do with Mario. Same reason Disney keeps Mickey Mouse alive. You can't lose your head pet.
you say that like its a bad thing
It's bad because it makes the company predictable and its games always more or less same-y.
So your problem with Nintendo is that they have based their business around selling proven products to people who want them?
No, if you carefully read the quote above you, my problem is that it's a predictable company that sells predictable games and hasn't evolved anywhere interesting since motion control gimmicry, and has most of its IPs staling in tired formulas that fail to draw new customers.
Really? Metroid prime, mario galaxy, hyrule warriors, recent announcement of mobile. Whats the ish? Mario jumps, link swings a sword and samus does screw attacks?
Without them there would be no bayonetta (nor w101), itagaki would not be making devils third.
There would be no Bayonetta 2 without Bayonetta, and no Bayonetta without God of War, and no God of War without Devil May Cry, and no... what's your point? All I'm saying is Nintendo is always (i.e. these days, as well as historically speaking) doing more or less the same thing.

posts like this are a puzzle to me. Look inward and maybe your "problem with Nintendo" will be informative at least to yourself.
No personal jabs, thank you very much. We can do without those.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
joest01 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
DrOswald said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
No console is based off CoD, or any IP in particular. Take away CoD, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Halo, any of those colossi - whether they're exclusive to a system or not - and Sony/Microsoft are still standing. They haven't based their success or popularity on anything in particular, except the possibility that you can play (most) games on them. Yes, there're exclusives, if only to offer some sort of unique selling point that differentiates them from the competition. But they're not mooching off anything. Or at least, not mooching of One Thing. Take away Mario and/or Zelda from Nintendo, and Pokemon off handhelds, and they have nothing left. I don't care how many C-list IPs you can enumerate, or that Pitt is your favorite character: they lose most of their consumer base in a heartbeat. Their entire marketing is based around Mario. Their big launches are based around Mario. Their success, going back to the 80s, has always been based around Mario. And for reasons involving tradition, conservativism and brand recognition, they have to keep chucking out Mario games even when there's nothing more to say about Mario or do with Mario. Same reason Disney keeps Mickey Mouse alive. You can't lose your head pet.
you say that like its a bad thing
It's bad because it makes the company predictable and its games always more or less same-y.
So your problem with Nintendo is that they have based their business around selling proven products to people who want them?
No, if you carefully read the quote above you, my problem is that it's a predictable company that sells predictable games and hasn't evolved anywhere interesting since motion control gimmicry, and has most of its IPs staling in tired formulas that fail to draw new customers.
Really? Metroid prime, mario galaxy, hyrule warriors, recent announcement of mobile. Whats the ish? Mario jumps, link swings a sword and samus does screw attacks?
Without them there would be no bayonetta (nor w101), itagaki would not be making devils third.
There would be no Bayonetta 2 without Bayonetta, and no Bayonetta without God of War, and no God of War without Devil May Cry, and no... what's your point? All I'm saying is Nintendo is always (i.e. these days, as well as historically speaking) doing more or less the same thing.

posts like this are a puzzle to me. Look inward and maybe your "problem with Nintendo" will be informative at least to yourself.
No personal jabs, thank you very much. We can do without those.
Bayonetta2 is arguably the best character action game ever made. It sports a sexy witch in high heels swinging a ms pacman on a chain on her foot while wearing a peach costume. If that is business as usual Nintendo then sign me up.

And my " jab" was quite sincere. Consider the things I list and your stance on Nintendo. add ng3re to the list too.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Las7 said:
Aiddon said:
You got to keep in mind that the most disappointing thing about last year was AAA market.
Last year had a lot of great indie games, PC exclusives and Wii U/3DS exclusive games - it was the AAA market that dropped the ball and apart from Bloodborne which is not a typical AAA game, the trend has continued. The higher the marketing budget is the more cynical I'm becoming about games.
You mean that massive influx of indie games brought on by the onslaught of greenlight and early access?

2014 was pretty shit for AAA and indie gaming, but there were certainly gems to be found out both piles of liquid crap.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Well as someone who has never had a nintendo console and doesn't play the game on his own, they do have a certain charm about them.

They are generally pretty well crafted, since the gameplay mechanics are always the same the developers allready know how to use the mechanics to create fun gameplay and it shows.
The story is always pretty basic, but also always has a youthfull charm to it. These are games that were once created with children in mind but there's a reason entertainment for children is coined as "Fun for the whole family" as it often has at least some unviversal appeal.
And that's it mainly. And while not all nintendo games are great, i think it shows that most of them are still created to be fun and that the people making them care about making a good game. They're not for me personally, but i have seen enough of them to notice that. Some people just don't care that the game mechanics are pretty much always the same and these people just enjoy the youthfull, energizing charm these game tend to have.
I don't think that nintendo's problem is it's games. Nintendo's problem is how backwards and "traditional" the company is run nowadays. Their inability to grasp the importance of third party support and the modern games industry in general *cough* youtube *cough* is what's killing them. Not their games.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
wanna know about how I feel about Nintendo? Well, *takes long winded breath* they are one of the first companies to make games available to people and with that they carry with them a monstrous fan base that spans back into the early eighties, these people have been playing these games from early adolescence and are now adults, probably, Nintendo having done this for so long know exactly what their customers want. That is a basic reason why they have been successful now how do I actually feel about them. When they release a game you know its their game. They all share a similar feel with everything they do. They may have variety of titles sure, but do they have the sheer expanse of a game like Skyrim, do they have shooters like halo, do they have action games that get your heart pounding in your chest after killing 500 enemies in one go with only one health point remaining? (this excluding the Zelda warriors game of course)

One thing is certain they make good quality games that tend to be timeless but they tend to get blown out of proportion a little too often. Hell allot of the games I've ever heard of that Nintendo had back with the N64 was mostly platformers and sidescrollers. They're good but they ain't the best in the bizz.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Nintendo has some of the best platformers. That is one of my favorite genres of video gaming. Unfortunately they're one of the few companies who still does 3D platforming correctly R.I.P Sonic. The controls work and are responsive. Although Rayman Origins and Legends is a pretty good series. I though Legends deserved Platformer of the year over 3D Word since 3D world was just 3d Land 1.5

SpartanBlackman

Apr 1, 2011
I don't know. It's sort of... I guess, variety? I also like their constant innovation and how they keep shaking up how to game. Wonderful 101 is a fantastic example of this. It uses new tech in a great way. It's amazing. But aside from that, you have the variety that Nintendo offers.

Look at it like this. See the Super Smash Brother's roster? Take away the third-party characters, and you are still left with a load of different characters. Despite being kind of varied, pretty much every single one of those characters come from a game that is considered a classic.

Chubby plumber from what is undeniably the greatest platformer series ever, green elf-man from a series that consistently produces amazing adventures. A pair of Monkeys that starred in the most beautiful game on the SNES, a bounty-hunter racer, a muscled beefcake and a wiry prince from the definitive turn-based strategy games, space animals from a space-shooter, and a psychic little boy.

Heck, even the 'generic' Space Marine has an array of creative powers unseen in most other games, has vibrant colors and is a woman.

And every single one of these characters come from an amazing game. The reason that so many people like Nintendo games is that there is pretty much something for everyone. A given Nintendo console will generally have an amazing game in every genre sans FPS shooters. Like, I don't even like Mario that much. I love the crap out of Zelda, Metroid and Fire Emblem, though. They're great. If you compare it to Sony, if you dislike JRPG's then the Vita is a dead system for you. If you dislike PS3 games and the Souls series, the PS4 is a dead system for you.

Add in the fact that they're one of the few people who don't spam the heck out of brown/bloom/chromatic abberation and that they love couch-coop, and you have a very friendly company that offers something for everyone.

Compare that to the western market, where we were so oversaturated in FPS and TPS games that we have to crowdfund anything else ourselves.

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
Most stuff has already been said and I'm just going to be repeating a lot from the previous posters, but I'm posting anyway.

I had a choice to get a PS4, Xbox one, or Wii U. I chose a Wii U without hesitation. Why? because I know Nintendo games will be of good quality, almost entirely bug free, and just plain fun to play. They constantly try new things (many of which everyone else copied) and although they do use the same characters very often, that doesn't detract from the changes made.

Take Mario for example, since everyone likes to target the guy. New powerups in each game, they add entirely new game mechanics pretty often, and he's been in a few different genres. Platformer, Kart Racing, RPG, Sports to name a few. Just because they keep using Mario, doesn't make every game identical. I actually didn't like New Super Mario Bros U but totally love 3D World. The games are just that different from each other.

I moved in with some friends recently. They own and Xbox 360. I came in with my Wii U and the xbox is ignored by everyone. Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, A Link to the Past, Super Mario 3D world, and Super Mario World seem to be the favorites. Everyone just finds them more enjoyable to play. Isn't that what we want from games in the end? A fun experience? Nintendo always delivers.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Here's the one thing you need to know about Nintendo games, they're dependable. You know what you're getting into with Nintendo games and any surprises you get from them are guaranteed to be good ones. The games will run, the games will not require a three day patch on release, the games will work almost exactly as advertised.

In essence, they're the safe option that gives interesting mechanics. Story-wise, they can be somewhat lacking, but also insanely fun for seeing what they think up. Gameplay-wise I've never been disappointed with a Nintendo game(well except for Metroid, but I've never cared for the series in the first place). I have never felt like I was cheated out of my money with a Nintendo game, I have never felt as if I would never play it again after the first playthrough with a Nintendo game, I have never had a point in a Nintendo game where I wanted to quit out of boredom or tediousness(though rage at my own ineptitude on a level has happened, but I always go back to it). Nearly every iteration they make with "old" characters adds something to the series, whether it's mechanics, story, or settings, and the people that complain they never do anything new really hasn't played since they were kids as far as I'm concerned(I only started playing through older titles to catch up three years ago).

Nintendo's got problems, I'm not going to lie, but when you've got half-billion dollar game worlds feeling empty and sequels upon sequels that never capture the greatness of the ORIGINal but are yelled at for expecting better, Nintendo's always gonna be there with at least half a dozen games that are polished experiences that you're getting your money's worth for and then some.