What's the best state in the US?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
vallorn said:
Note to self, the easiest way to irritate Americans is to call Arizona a midwestern state.

I kid I kid. But thanks for that, I've always been confused by that weird "midwestern" name for states since there's nothing like that back in blighty, we just have London, South England, Midlands, North England, Wales, Cornwall, Scottish Lowlands, Scottish Highlands, Orkney Isles and Ulster.
Really?, because I lived in the southwest. And while that isn't much in itself... I know just a bit further along from me was what people sometimes seem to refer as 'west country' True, that's mostly in relation to...
Accents, but still. (My grandmother still sounds like that. Even though she hasn't lived in England since the 60's... XD)

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I'm not sure about the BEST state in the US. But the most common seems to be "Denial".

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Even though I live in Canada I can easily say that Minnesota is the best. I mean, I may be a bit biased since my mother is from Minnesota but it has some of the most beautiful countryside that I've seen outside of BC, Alberta, and Manitoba (outside of the prairie).

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
vallorn said:
Well it's not California that's for sure, the mixture of authoritarian laws and poor resource management combined with much of the culture makes the place both expensive to live in and horrible to exist in as well.
I live in California and this I have to agree with.

OT: Not California, despite that I live there. Everything here is taxed 3x over, hardly any job opportunities because too many people around every corner wanting the same role, and poorly done politics makes this place quite awful. Despite being nice and the conditions aren't bad, the overall feel to California is like a middle finger to the US saying it's ok to be corrupted >_>.

Not sure what the best state is really.
Gotta remember though, a huge reason why California?s a ?highly taxed state? is because of the federal government. <_< Looking at the 2014 IRS fiscal year, the fed collected over 369 billion dollars from California. The biggest contributor to the federal budget. And since CA gives so much, we get a large portion of that cut off on return. The report says that the federal government took over 121 billion of that and put it into other states. Which is 1/3rd of what CA was taxed federally. So, by screwing CA from its taxes, the state is forced to tax its populace more (via sales/payroll). And since CA also has Prop 13, royally screwing property taxes, there?s few avenues other than other taxes and high regulatory fines.

So! Without CA funding most of the rest of the country, the country would suffer. :D Bankrolling the country we are.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
As an Illinoisan whose only visited a handful of states, I have to give my vote to either Colorado or Minnesota.

Definitely not Illinois in any foreseeable future. We're going on about 4 months now without a state budget and it doesn't seem like one's going to be passed any time soon because our new governor is basically holding it ransom until he can privatize the unions.

EDIT: Also, maybe Oregon. Don't really hear too much about that state, but that's not really a bad thing these days lol.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
InsanityRequiem said:
Caramel Frappe said:
vallorn said:
Well it's not California that's for sure, the mixture of authoritarian laws and poor resource management combined with much of the culture makes the place both expensive to live in and horrible to exist in as well.
I live in California and this I have to agree with.

OT: Not California, despite that I live there. Everything here is taxed 3x over, hardly any job opportunities because too many people around every corner wanting the same role, and poorly done politics makes this place quite awful. Despite being nice and the conditions aren't bad, the overall feel to California is like a middle finger to the US saying it's ok to be corrupted >_>.

Not sure what the best state is really.
Gotta remember though, a huge reason why California?s a ?highly taxed state? is because of the federal government. <_< Looking at the 2014 IRS fiscal year, the fed collected over 369 billion dollars from California. The biggest contributor to the federal budget. And since CA gives so much, we get a large portion of that cut off on return. The report says that the federal government took over 121 billion of that and put it into other states. Which is 1/3rd of what CA was taxed federally. So, by screwing CA from its taxes, the state is forced to tax its populace more (via sales/payroll). And since CA also has Prop 13, royally screwing property taxes, there?s few avenues other than other taxes and high regulatory fines.

So! Without CA funding most of the rest of the country, the country would suffer. :D Bankrolling the country we are.
you guys also have a LOT of military bases in California. Like, you guys either have the most or tied for first with air force, navy, and marine corps. bases on a state by state basis (you guys have 22 total, the next highest state is Florida at 14)

That isnt to say of course that your taxes are not ridiculous.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Ryotknife said:
*Tosses the dollar bills everywhere.*

But yeah. Lots of bases. The Bay, along the cost, then much of the Mojave?s got bases in it. Driving to Las Vegas, you?d drive by at least five of them. And if you?re lucky, you hear the weapon testing, particularly their planes.