Whats the coolest/ most badass thing your city/ town has ever done?

Aug 25, 2009
For me, a Belfast resident, it has to be building the Titanic. Ok it was a complete failure, but it was the goddam Titanic, it will go down (no pun intended) as the most famous ship ever built.

I have a few others but I'd like to hear yours first.

FranzTyphid

Apr 10, 2009
Im from Edinburgh,Scotland we're pretty badass in genral
just last week i saw two 70 year olds driving down Princess street(main shopping road)
on they're grandad motorbikes,thats quite cool.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Made Kodak. Rochester, NY!

or

Callahan (born in Rochester, NY) is on the USA Olympic team that just won against Canada yesterday.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
My town is small and boring, however:

The town I lived in most of my life (up until a few years ago) was the home-town of the couple who created that 'Rage Against The Machine for Xmas Number 1' group on Facebook.

The largest town in my area is the one in which the Radio was first invented.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
kick everyone out of the poor district.

and build a mall 50 meter away from my house.

(these 2 are connected)

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
We were home to the Chartist march/riot. Look it up, it was quite a failure, although may have had a big impact on the whole movement.

Also, Desmond Llewelyn was born here.

Go Newport!

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
We set sail to the biggest seafaring failure ever (Mary Rose), we set sail to one of the most elegant ships of all time (HMS Victory) and we set sail to the worlds first iron warship which guaranteed naval supremacy for nearly 100 years.

So yeah, we like boats.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Ragnar Lassinantti (Swedish politician) and Eero Mäntyranta (Finnish Athlete) were born here.

Not much else to say about it.

Aug 25, 2009
Furburt said:
I didn't know you were from Belfast.

Sadly the mighty achievements of the Harland Wolfe shipyards were somewhat overshadowed by the other thing Belfast is famous for.

You know what it is.

OP: Well, I don't think Coole, Westmeath ever did much, but the town I used to live in, Castlepollard, was the scene of a massacre by British Militia that gave rise to Ireland actually having a police force, rather than crazed Militia.
Well thats one of the other things I was thinking off, the fact that the whole bloody mess is over (kinda) (well it's getting better). I mean I don't think anyone actually thought we'd just let it go.