Whats the Hardest Metal You Listen to?

John Nordstrom

Oct 3, 2011
I can go all over the place depending on my mood, which doesn't help much when some of my favorite artists are all over the place. Take the entire works of Devin Townsend; which can range from 1 to 9 depending on the album, and there's Agalloch, which can range from a 4 to a 9. A lot of my favorite melodeath bands, like Skyfire and Wintersun are around 8, as well as Persefone and some Opeth. I also listen to a bunch of black metal like Burzum, Wolves' Winter, and Carach Angren, which are all around the 9-10 zone. Bal-Sagoth kinda fluctuates around the 7-8 area. So, I guess my most common area on the scale'd probably be 8-9.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I don't know if it would land in a 10 or 11 but the hardest band I listen to is Chelsea Grin and I listen to quite a bit of music in the 8-10 range.

MonkeyGH

Jul 4, 2011
Soooo...

Where do bands such Animals As Leaders, Periphery, and Veil of Maya rank?

I'm also a fan of Burning the Masses and Becoming The Archetype.

John Nordstrom

Oct 3, 2011
enriel said:
I cover the entire scale depending on the day. Sometimes it's a nice wistful acoustic guitar song with thoughtul lyrics and sometimes I want my music to feel like it is physically assaulting me. For the record, I predominately enjoy mid-level stuff; I like distortion and agression but I also like melody and understandable lyrics. But sometimes, 11 isn't even enough. I want songs that just sound like machine gun fire and satan himself screeching at me with all the vitriol of Hell.
A bit of a late reply, but have you heard of Marduk? Swedish Black Metal that sounds like just what you want.

MonkeyGH said:
Soooo...

Where do bands such Animals As Leaders, Periphery, and Veil of Maya rank?

I'm also a fan of Burning the Masses and Becoming The Archetype.
I'd rate AAL and Periphery around the 6-8 range, depending on the song.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
probably somewhere in the 8-10 range. I do like some heavier stuff, but it's definitely music that i have to be in the right mood for. Mostly what I've been listening to recently is towards the 8 of that scale--the new Epica album. Highly recommended.

imperialus

Apr 20, 2009
generally around 8ish...

I like a lot of the slavic/pegan/folk metal. One I particularly enjoy is Arkona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcwTO4YE70g

She has a really unique voice and is able to flip back and forth between a remarkably harsh (especially for a woman) metal growl and a much more melodic singing voice very quickly.

I'm not really sure where this would fit on the scale... Lots of growling, but the music itself is just... weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0_J6Y681g

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
9-11 for me. I listen to a lot of Devildriver, but I like death metal, mostly.
Some of my most brutal songs in terms of musical intensity: Blinded by Tortured Conscience, Beyond Bludgeoned by Brain Drill, and a bunch of songs by Nile. Lyrically, my most messed up songs include Hammer Smashed Face and Evidence in the Furnace by Cannibal Corpse.

Alkaline

Mar 12, 2011
11, easily. Not to mention, I can go above and beyond that if my mood allows.

The harshest and darkest band I listen to would be Nivathe.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm between a 9 and a 10. I like really heavy stuff but when the heaviness starts to destroy the actual melody of the song, I lose interest. It sounds like heaviness just for the sake of it, which is just pointless and boring to me. There needs to be so much more than that. Anyway here's some examples of bands that I like that I think put me at where I am on the scale:

<3