What's the last game you bought with no prior series experience?

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Just picked up Alpha Protocol for $10 bucks used on my PS3. Thus far, I like it. A bit buggy, but fun as hell, I actually feel like I could play the game radically different from how I currently am, which will make it fun when I go through as a "Veteran."

Also just picked up Medieval 2: Total War (My laptop is 6 years old, ain't no way in hell I can run Shogun 2). Having never played a Total War game before, I'm liking it so far (though I haven't been able to play much)

Player Two

Dec 20, 2010
Oblivion. I'm sorry to say I didn't really like it... but with Skyrim coming out I might pick it up again.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Rule Of Rose and the Sabotuer (I got them at the same time). Loving them both.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
Ghost Trick a few weeks ago. There is no series here...yet. It was really good.

Light 086

Feb 10, 2011
From oldest to newest:
Morrowind, Fallout 3, and soon to be FF14.

I've never played any previous TES or Fallout games. I've played a few FF games at a friends, but never played much or owned any as I just got my PS3 a few months ago.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
As we all know, the gaming industry anymore is basically BUILT on sequels anymore.

Whether it's buying the latest version of Madden, or waiting for that new Mario game, we're all guilty of buying sequels, simply due to the fact that they're sequels to games we like.

So, what's the last game you bought, where you had NO prior experience with the series (or if it's a game with no prior game).

Reboots count as sequels (i.e., the cell-shaded Prince of Persia), but spiritual sequels... well, decide for yourself on that one.

Personally, I'm currently playing Prinny 2. Yeah, it's a sequel, but I'm never played a Disgaea game before, and I bought this because it looked funny. I'm enjoying it so far (although I had to switch the difficulty to baby mode). It feels like an old-school platformer, like something you'd play on the SNES or the like. Jumping took me alittle bit to get used to, but I'm pretty much over that hump now. Just beat the 4th level.

So, when was the last time you took a risk on a new game?
It's been quite a while, actually (though I currently only own a Wii, so I suppose it makes sense). Probably No More Heroes.

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
Half-Life 1 and 2, after seeing (and laughing my arse off) at Freeman's Mind [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlesvqok84e].

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
Light 086 said:
From oldest to newest:

I've never played any previous TES or Fallout games. I've played a few FF games at a friends, but never played much or owned any as I just got my PS3 a few months ago.
Morrowind's arguably the best one to start with, good choice. :)

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Assassin's Creed 2. I loved it and just got Brotherhood recently.
Before that was ME2 I think, also extremely good, and I want to go back and get the first.

Light 086

Feb 10, 2011
Shade184 said:
Light 086 said:
From oldest to newest:

Morrowind's arguably the best one to start with, good choice. :)
Thanks!!! I've been known to have moments of genius, how few and far they are in-between =P

I got it even though oblivion was already out because I heard so many good things about it. I still prefer it to oblivion.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Ooh, I got Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat. Was able to play through 12 glorious hours of Shadow of Chernobyl, until my computer broke. I'm currently waiting for my gaming pc to return from Dell so I can pick it up again.

JLML said:
Metro 2033, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight.

What, 3 games for the price of 2. :3
Did you get the Stalker Complete 2009 Mod for Shadow of Chernobyl? It really improves graphics and gets rid of bugs. Here's a link

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Also if you're having troubles with saving and loading, I can give you a wall of text that explains how to fix it.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
It's been said before, but Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I wasn't too impressed with either. Not that I would flame them, but there was just too little direction. Sandboxes are fine, but if sandboxes get too big with no way-points, it turns into a desert that you must crawl through.

Fallout 3 was a lot better, as at least there's areas that pound you to death if you try to go there too early. With Oblivion, everything leveled with you, so there was no real sense of reward/achievement in getting to a different area. The only reward being to look at different terrain. Also, if you're going to give us a sandbox, let us dick around with it. Pick-pocket the wrong person and guards chase you relentlessly. Even in different towns well displaced from where the actual crime was committed. Did they send out a magical APB or something? I'm glad that they approach catching pick-pockets with the same fervor as the US tries to catch terrorists, but I don't think that the petty crime warrants the guard's time.