What's the last game you bought with no prior series experience?

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Saints Row 2, Mafia 2 & Just Cause 2. Have yet to play Mafia 2 and Just Cause 2 but loved Saints Row 2.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh, good question. Let's see...

I guess it's Tumble for PS3's Move controller. It's a pretty fun game, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a Move controller.

As for a game that is actually a series, let me think. Not Killzone 3, not LittleBigPlanet 2... Okay, I'm not going to go over my purchase history, but I think it was the Half Life Complete Pack on Steam during their holiday sale. Hadn't really played any of them before, and basically my decision to buy them consisted of going to my brother, who had played most of them, and asking "Half Life is supposed to be really good, right?" He said yeah, and then boom, I bought it (for the sale price, how could I not). And I still haven't played them yet >_> *flees the impending wrath of Valve fanboys*

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
ReturnPostage said:
FF13 last year, what a boring game. I'm done with turn-based RPG's.
That makes me sad. There are plenty of great turn-based RPGs out there. Don't let one of Square Enix's turds ruin an entire subset of the genre for you. Try Pokémon or the Golden Sun series, THOSE are excellent turn based RPGs. Final Fantasy 13, not so much. If that game leaves you wanting to be "done" with something, be done with the Final Fantasy series.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
evilartist said:
For me, it was Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I never tried either of their predecessors.
If playing MineCraft classic before buying the Beta invalidates MC then it is Fo3, narrowly after Tom Clancey's EndWar.

Oct 30, 2010
Civ 5 for first game I played in a series, Bayonetta for a fresh IP.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
A few days ago, with Okamiden. Good dungeon gameplay, but the overworld camera's a real wall-banger.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Vault101 said:
dogstile said:
Vault101 said:
dogstile said:
Erm, I think the last game I brought was Darksiders.

That was a stupid idea
Darksiders isnt a seaquel though

I dont get all the hate on that game I quite like it (im still playing it) Its artstyle is friggin beautiful and its fun

sure thematically wise its nothign new but its not Like Ive played god of war
Eh, say the series I don't like is that sort of fighting game.

Anyway, the art style is awesome. The graphics are not. I was disappointed there. Also, while I haven't got very far, there isn't much variation in combat.

Why is it if I don't like a game someone must debate it?
Welcome to the internet

anyway I dont get how you can like the artstyle yet look down on it for graphics

I mean so what if its not as technically amazing as crysis? or what ever? the game Looked beautiful and I doubt it ruined your imersion

Its like criticizing a cell shaded game for not being as high tech ...thats completley missing the point because the game is going for a certain look

anyway graphics are becoming less of a big thing since as yahtzee put it its hard for anything to look crap nowdays, graphics are only as issue if it looks awful and ruines your imersion
Because the art style of the game, everything from the cover to the comics to the loading screens sets you up for something beautiful, and when you actually play the game you're disappointed. That's what I meant. So yes, the graphics sucked enough to ruin my immersion.

And as I pointed out on another thread, i'm the type of guy who still plays games from 10 to 15 years ago. Graphics don't normally bother me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Trinity Universe was one...I have never played a Disgaea and I am pretty pleased the TU. I'm actually about to pick up Rock of the Dead unless you can stop me in the next half hour or so

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Dragon Age Origins: the first D&D-style RPG I've played, I think (not sure if KOTOR 1 & 2 count). It was all right, but in the end, I didn't enjoy it enough to finish it. Character creation was good and most of the Origin stories were good, but a lot of the game was far too much grind for me. Also, the whole approval system and the ridiculous dipper of the difficulty curve annoyed me; one minute you are carving through hurlocks no problem and the next minute being insta-killed by a boss. I restarted it like 8 times, but never got past the start of the last battle before I lost interest/rage-quitted.

If that doesn't count, then it would have to be Lost Odyssey; first and last turn-based fighting game I've ever played. The story hinted at having some greatness to it, but I wasn't going to endure the ridiculous insta-kill boss fights that last hours because of the pace of combat and that annoying bit on the boat where every time a sentry spots you, you have to restart the whole sequence again.

Edit: as for jumping into an existing series, I have no idea how long that's been, probably three years with something like TCRSV2 or Fallout 3; both good.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
That's actually a very good question, because I honestly can't think of one. My money is pretty tight, so I don't take a lot of risks on games that I don't have any clue about. I guess buying War of the Monsters for PS2 used a couple years ago is the closest thing that qualifies, I just saw the boxart online and thought it was cool looking. Turned out to be a great purchase though, and an excellent game.

I can say that in the future I'm looking to buy Brink when it comes out. I don't actually remember who is making it, I have no idea what pedigree it comes from, but everything, everything, EVERYTHING I have seen and heard about that game looks brilliant.

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
I'm a big fan of Bioware but have not had a Xbox 360 for awhile (my last one died out and I didn't have the funds to get a new one for awhile)

I've purchased a new one and along with it Mass Effect. A lot of my friends love it and I'm really getting into it. The story is solid and it's set in space, what more could you want?

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Ninja Gaiden II, probably. For the 360. I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game prior to that. You could also count 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, if we're saying it's a sequel to Bulletproof, because I'd never played Bulletproof. (Though I do like Blood on the Sand a lot.)