What's the last game you bought with no prior series experience?

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
I dont do it often, I like to try everything once....but Front Mission 3 is probably mine. First turn based, anyway. By god i hate the fact it was ruined with Front Mission: Evolved why square enix why!!

Crazed_Puppeteer

Jan 15, 2011
On the DS: Radiant Historia, before that Ghost Trick and Ivy the Kiwi;
On the 360: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West;
On the Wii: ...eh, most of my games had a successor. I'll come back to edit this.

I would recommend all of these games (Ivy as a rental). If any of these are a sequel to something, please let me know. I have other games that I would love to shout-out, but these are the my most recent original games.

pendragon177

Jul 12, 2009
I bought every prince of Persia game during Steam's Christmas Sale and Deus Ex without any knowledge of the series besides I heard they were good. I also bought Marvel Vs Capcom 3 never having played one before and my experience with arcade fighting games is extremely limited.

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
I've got a bunch of those from Steam sales, ex. Overlord, Company of Heroes, Super Meat Boy, Total War: Napoleon.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
I bought Fallout 3 GOTY without having played the others (although now I firmly stand by my conviction that 'Fallout 2' was the best).

SenorNemo

Mar 14, 2011
My mom got me HAWX 2 a few months back. It's not Ace Combat - which is okay - but it's also not...good. I'm not sure if HAWX 2 sold Yahtzee on flight games because he saw something in it I didn't or because he never tried to play a flight game before. I still haven't gotten around to finishing it, but I feel like I should, it being an unexpected gift and all. Oh well.

I also bought an iPad game: Galaxy on Fire 2. It's a Freelancer/Wing Commander Privateer style space flight game, and it's actually quite good. The story isn't told very well, but the gameplay and atmosphere are a fun diversion. The setting's got every cliché in the book, and knows it, and because of that it feels fun rather than worn out.

I'm on the hedge about getting Crysis 2. I'm too cheap to get Xbox Live, so I wouldn't be able to play it online, so the story would have to be pretty good. If I do though, it'll be my first Crysis game.

Edit: Gah, it's Galaxy on Fire 2. Typo there, sorry 'bout that.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I would say probably Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Civilization IV. Took me forever to figure out how to play Civ 4 properly.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Civilization 5, which I regret, but I do it quite a lot. I bought Deadspace 2 without having played Deadspace 1. I bought Shogun 2 without having played a Total War game since Medieval TW.

Usually, I get it right. Civ 5 was an unfortunate exception.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
Magicka, it is fun and silly, and I wish that i got my hands on it earlier than yesterday.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
Fallout New vegas. Never played a fallout game before it. My next one is Brink. I can't wait.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Fallout 3 might be the most recent. I rarely ever buy games from a series if I haven't played titles priorly released.

EDIT: A friend lent me Golden Sun: Dark Dawn recently. I never played the original Golden Suns. I can't tell you how happy I was to get Pokémon White Version and its wonderfully short cutscenes. Dropped the ***** like it was hot. For those who haven't played Dark Dawn, it's basically a fucking book. And not in the good way, like clever and engaging Phoenix Wright. In the bad way, like an amateurish fantasy novel that feels like it has to beat every detail to death--oh wait.

Mar 9, 2010
GBlair88 said:
Probably KOTOR, not too keen on it.
Keep playing it. If there is one thing I am adamant about in this world in this world it's persevering in each game. Most of the time, I find it gets a lot better which is added on by the fact that KOTOR has a great story. What part are you up to anyway?

Probably On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness. It's a Penny Arcade game set in Arcadia, a steam punk world. It's a good game for a glorified side scroller, I'm finding it really fun. The combat is quite good as well, using continuous turn based combat (like in KOTOR) to defeat each enemy. The last boss is ridiculous mind you, something I rather like about it.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Red Dead Redemption (awesomes)
Rome: Total War (awesomes) partly because it was cheap, mostly 'cause I love rome related stuff. As of late with movies, I loved Gladiator, and I can't wait to go see The Eagle.

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
omnimon300 said:
new vegas
resi 5
and COD6
all were good except for.... actually ill let you guys guess its not that hard.
Let's see... New Vegas is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys rigged with C4; Resident Evil 5 was pretty fun...but 4 was much better, and longer; and MW2 is a blast. Fun single player. If you don't think about the "story" too hard, it makes sense, and if you get past the fact that EVERYONE in multiplayer is a massive cock 'n' balls, you can have a blast there, too, so...I'm going to guess Res5.

OT: Eh...I think it was AC II. Very, very fun. I just wish I could permanently keep that two-hander sword I love so much....but a large mace will suffice!