What's the most '80s song?

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
What's the song that captures the spirit or general zeitgeist of the '80s for you, the one song you would play if you had to cue someone into thinking "eighties" as soon as possible, the song that in your opinion describes that decade the most accurately.

I don't want to cast my vote just yet but I'm always more or less torn between Toto's "Africa" (1982) and A-Ha's "Take On Me" (1985).

I try to leave out famous iconic singers like Madonna or Michael Jackson and concentrate on littler one-hit wonders that are exclusively associated with a hit and therefore a musical decade, or songs that are associated with movies (Back to the Future's "Power of Love"). But be my guest.
A-Ha's "Take On Me" is my favourite song ever, it's just amazing, so that's my choice.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Vault101 said:
Bobic said:
I love 80's synth and I take that shit dead serious, only in the 80's would you have a film set in 1914 about Australians going to Galipoli to fight the war....and it have a synth soundstrack...imagine lord of the rings if it was synth awsomness?

for some throwback stuff I'd recomend Lazerhawk, Powerglove and Kavinsky...also some of Celldwellers stuff (his more recent work)
!
Oh my god, I did not realise people were still making this stuff. Just listened to tracks from the bands you listed, and damn, they're awesome. I can't wait to cruise down the road in the orange glow of the streetlights, feeling like the coolest bugger to ever grace the roads.

Private Custard said:
Man I love this stuff. Scarface has gone down in movie history, and for good reason, but I love the fact that it's so hilariously dated. An extremely dark film, full of extremely brutal scenes, has a montage (A MONTAGE!) set to that awesome tune. And the suits, oh God the suits.

Can you imagine a world where, rather than Godfather era gangsters being seen as the epitome of cool, it was these gangsters? And internet MRA's were always pictured as wearing huge collars, gold chains, terrible colour combinations, and shirts that don't even button up above the stomach? That's a cool world right there.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
What I am going to post really isnt "Whats the most 80s song" material but this is a good thread to post it so fuck it. It still feels fucking 80s to me even though no one really knew about it at the time.

Ricky Gervais, everybody!!!

Now two really 80s songs that everyones knows about:

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Hmm some stong contenders, a lot of what I was thinking but I see one massive omission

EDIT: Whoops seems someone did post it already my bad still it deserves double posting

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bobic said:
Oh my god, I did not realise people were still making this stuff. Just listened to tracks from the bands you listed, and damn, they're awesome. I can't wait to cruise down the road in the orange glow of the streetlights, feeling like the coolest bugger to ever grace the roads.
The looks that Kill and star hustler by Lazerhawk are my favorites

but yeah the REAL 80's sounding stuff is pretty obscure but theres definetly a little niche for it....

Kavinsky and other artists have elements of it on varying scales like Shiny Toy guns, M83 or whatever theyre called, CHVURCHES (who have a somewhat unique sound) that one song by Arcadefire (supersymetry) and ect....so its around

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I would vote 'Jump' by Van Halen. Captures the cheesiness of the 80's perfectly.

Take on Me and Africa are very 80's too but Jump is far cheesier.

Durai

May 1, 2011
This song not only embodies the 80's, it's from the most 80's movie there is!

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
HELL YES!!! It's my decade. ;) I was a new wave kid way back when I was 5 years old. And BTW, sorry for so many. I'm a totally indecisive Libra who can't pick just one of anything.

Have to start with the song that launched MTV:

---------------------------------

(This song has the line "You're about as easy as a nuclear war" - How much more '80s can you get?)

(I REFUSE to include Take My Breath Away... Berlin were a great new wave band before they went crappy ballad-y)

And lastly, the classic theme song to one of the best movies ever: National Lampoon's Vacation

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
viscomica said:
Anything by Journey sounds like the heart and soul of the 80s to me.
Also... "wake me up before you go go" and "your love" (I don't remember from what bands they were)
Journey, Yeah. Oh, and that would be "Your Love" by the Outfield? That song just screams 80's to me. I agree with an earlier poster that rule of thumb here would be "Vice City" soundtrack. Yup.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Kyrian007 said:
viscomica said:
Anything by Journey sounds like the heart and soul of the 80s to me.
Also... "wake me up before you go go" and "your love" (I don't remember from what bands they were)
Journey, Yeah. Oh, and that would be "Your Love" by the Outfield? That song just screams 80's to me. I agree with an earlier poster that rule of thumb here would be "Vice City" soundtrack. Yup.
Yeah! Your love by the Outfield! :D You certainly know you stuff
Also, "Hold the line", so 80s!

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Logically this has to be here already, but I've checked back and forth three times already. It must be hiding in a spoiler I haven't unfurled yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

So 80's, so Swedish, so much hair...

Ten Foot Bunny said:
XTC - Making Plans for Nigel
Good call. Not from a stereotypically 80's point of view, just from a good taste one. I don't think XTC were stereotypically anything. Never got the love they deserved either.

mistahzig1

May 29, 2013
For me, that's the most 80's song I listened to IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Whenever someone says 80s, I immediately think of a man dressed as a geisha pirate under a disco ball with gold hands flailing around him roaring about being spun.

...So yeah, I think we can all agree on "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" by Dead or Alive.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
What's the song that captures the spirit or general zeitgeist of the '80s for you, the one song you would play if you had to cue someone into thinking "eighties" as soon as possible, the song that in your opinion describes that decade the most accurately.
By that criteria it would probably have to be "Sledgehammer" or "Video Killed the Radio Star"- but ONLY if it actually included the music video with the song. Because those sort of represented the shift in culture towards an obsession with new media consumption- music videos, more TV channels, VHS and music cassettes. As well as the general over-the-top and cheesy nature of the pop culture of the decade, particularly for Sledgehammer.

But there's another one that hasn't been mentioned that represents a uniquely USA slant to the 1980s. The re-embracing of "All American Values" / "Amaracana" in the 1980s following the collapse of the counter culture movement of the 60s and 70s as Baby Boomers[footnote]For anyone outside the US who might not be familiar with the term, "Baby Boomers" are the large and incredibly influential generation of people who were born following WW2 and the Korean War as returning vets got to the business of having lots of children very fast. They were the "Hippies" and the focus of most pop culture in the US from the 1960s until they started to get replaced in prominence by "Generation X" in the late 1980s.[/footnote] transitioned into parenthood.

Even if nobody in the US actually watches it post-1990s Strike and steroid scandals, nothing did or does screams "Americana" quite like baseball.

PS- No one has linked Thriller, really? Micheal Jackson was basically the King of the 1980s (toppled almost immediately after) with that probably being his high water mark.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
LaoJim said:
Logically this has to be here already, but I've checked back and forth three times already. It must be hiding in a spoiler I haven't unfurled yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

So 80's, so Swedish, so much hair...
You silly goose. It's in the second post.

I'm surprised no-one has picked this one yet

But the real song of the 80s is this one.

Yeah, you knew I'd do that.