Whats the most expensive thing you've ever won?

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
It was within a month of the game's release. I honestly have no idea if it's a factor or not. It was my first review and it won immediately so I started submitted loads for a while after but never won again. They choose the best review of every month and give away a game, worth up to £40, of your choice.

EDIT: Where the hell did my quote go? This was supposed to be a quote... mindfuck!

opeth1989

Sep 23, 2011
When I was a kid, my school would send us to sell raffle tickets home to home to pay for a school trip. I sold a ticket to my parents and one to my grand-father. The first prize was 20$ for the student who sold the wining ticket and a what was a pretty sweet sound system at the time. My grand-father won the first prize and gave it to me, he said he bought the ticket for me.

so the most expensive thing I won was 20$ and a new sound system.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
I won an Eddie Irvine hat like ten yesrs ago. Apparently it was worth 100 punts in the old Irish currency.

DelphiSantano

Feb 11, 2009
There was a christmas party at hmv when i worked there, I won the top prize in the raffle, a pair of Beats headphones (worth about £250 i think).
They were excellent quality sound but, it seems, exceptionally bad build quality. They broke after a couple of months (I had left hmv by then) so I went along and talked to the manager and he agreed to replace them after he saw the problem. These ones lasted a bit longer, but the headband snapped again, in EXACTLY the same place. By this point I couldn't be bothered to try and replace them again as the manager had left and I'd got lucky the first time.

So yeah... really good win, but shame about the shitty make :p

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Me and my sister once won 200 dollars in a costume contest (hunter and bear).
I won a camera in a contest in junior high, we were supposed to go the whole year without smoking. Never wanting to, never having someone to buy it and never having the money required that was very easy.
Not sure which of those prizes are worth more though so I had to mention both.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I won 2 4 day tickets to next years Eurogamer Expo. They cost £10 each, so that's £80 worth of tickets, plus I got 4 vouchers for free OnLive games, which I can redeem on the OnLive console I also got that day (I didn't win that, though, they were just giving them away)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
a scientific calculator worth about £12.99.

I went to an open day at my high school (you go to the school to check it out to make sure you like it ... or something) and there was a math competition in the maths block, so my mum (who loves maths) did it, put my name on it and submitted it.

A week letter while we were in an assembly the head teacher from the high school comes out, calls my name and gives me the calculator .... to add insult to embarrassment, I went to shake the guys hand and he thought I was trying to take the calculator and made a joke at my expense ... I was like 12 years old at this time.

I say this is the most expensive thing I have ever won 'cos it's the only thing I have ever won!

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
My cousin once won £10,000 worth of toys at the Hamley's toy store in London and we... 'helped'... him spend some of it. (My uncle was convinced we should blow the whole lot on a life-sized wooden giraffe)

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
When I was young I was forced on a day out with my parents, sulking as I didn't want to be there my dad bought me a ticket for a raffle going on in a shopping centre. To my shock my number came up and to my greater shock was the prize of a brand new (at the time) N64. However, this did not stop me sulking as I wanted to go home and play it, I was a difficult child.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
1000 dollars from a University Graduate Survey quiz. Pretty neat. My sister won thousands of dollars worth of books from a Dymocks' Bookstore competition.

Archroy

Sep 30, 2010
I won a pair of VIP tickets to the Isle of Wight festival off a beer ringpull. Ebayed them and got about £400.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Can't remember any big things I've won, small prizes like shirts and stuff but I seldom enter any competitions.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
The original Polish edition of Planescape: Torment on 7 CDs, back when it was new and (relatively) expensive. Best prize ever.

Grandpappyduplenty

Aug 3, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
What is the most expensive thing you've ever won. It could be from a lottery, or an internet competition or something else.

My one would be the year the ds lite came out. I was on holiday and we went to this crappy seaside arcade (not the good kind), I decided to have a go on this machine called Stacker. The machine was basically you had to time the stopping of a row of blocks so that it would make a tower with the blocks below. There was two kinds of prizes, a minor prize which were just keyrings and such and the major prizes which included Ipods, cameras and a ds lite. Well, on my first try, I got right up to the top and won the major prize, I decided to choose the ds lite. So basically I got a brand new DS lite for only 1 euro (I was in Spain).

[EDIT] Just remembered that I won about 100 quid by betting on the grand national once.
DUDE my brother won a HD video camera on one of those things - good one, too!

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Tickets to see Kings of Leon at the O2 in london in Virgin Airways VIP booth, was a good night, though I think the value of the prize was slightly offset by taking the flight with Virgin Airways to Florida on which I entered the prize draw. Still none the less free tickets to see a band I love in a VIP booth, got to see how the rich live for a night!

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
CrazyJew said:
Well, I won a very precious thing. I got a girlfriend. To win her I had to defeat her 7 evil ex-boyfriends. Beat that.
Nicely played sir. Good reference too. I respect you!

On topic: I won a $100 Gift Card for playing Frogger and promptly lost $70 on a new pair of expensive headphones because my others blew out about two minutes before I played said game of Frogger.