What's the most you've cried at a fictional character's death?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I've never cried during a movie.

But the Green Mile almost had me when they killed John.

Makes me feel a bit weak just thinking about it.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Hmmm...there are 3 for me.

1: One Piece. The Thousand Sunny. To think a shounen anime could make me shed tears for a friggin' boat. o_O
2: Mass Effect 3: Mordin Solus. He was one of my favourite characters. He died such an heroic death imo...even if it wasn't in combat.
3: Scrubs: Ben Sullivan. (Jordan's brother and Dr. Cox's close buddy) That entire episode was filled with tear jerkers, imo.

Captcha: get well
Sorry captcha, they won't get well anymore...

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Terminator 2

Also, got pretty hung up on Etain's death from the Republic Commando series, that one was rough.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
It's weird, but if anyone who saw Alpha Dog remembers the last scene...with the kid?

I to this day have no idea why, but that tore me up so fucking bad. I cried out. Loud and bawled.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Nice spoiler there. Thanks for the warning.

OT: I've never cried due to any fictional piece of work, be that movie or video game, ever.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Z of the Na said:
Nice spoiler there. Thanks for the warning.

OT: I've never cried due to any fictional piece of work, be that movie or video game, ever.
You, sir, have no (or too little) empathy. o_O

cori

Jun 29, 2013
I am the worst when it comes to making "superlative decisions." Instead of the character I've cried the *most* for, I'll tell you the most recent incident.
After reading The Knife of Never Letting Go (Patrick Ness) I bawled my eyes out at the death of Manchee, the main character's best friend, his dog. Not only was he a great companion, he was loyal, brave, full of heart and was basically the most adorable dog ever. I strongly suggest people check out the series if not just for Manchee <3

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
Marcus From Babylon 5 :(.

I was pretty young at the time so I didn't even see it coming either.
What makes it even worse is the actress of the character he died for decided to duck out of the whole series! She came back for the series finale but gr, the show's writer even said that if he knew she was going to do that, he would have LET HIM LIVE.

Needless to say I hate her now. Marcus's actor hasn't been in anything good since.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
That's an easy one.

I cried in the theater, and later developed a habit of leaving the room when watching Lion King on VHS and That Scene was approaching.

Captcha: Big screen. Yes captcha, I saw it in the theater. I cried. We all cried.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
The first freaking twenty minutes had me in tears when Sarah died. I'm the kind of guy who gets as emotionally invested as he can during a game or movie so things have a tendency to hit me harder. That, coupled with the fact that I'm kind of a pansy, meant that that intro was pretty strong for me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The closest I got to crying (eyes water up) is that character in Grave of the Fireflies (you know who for those who had watched it).

Nov 24, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
The closest I got to crying (eyes water up) is that character in Grave of the Fireflies (you know who for those who had watched it).
+1 was my first time ever crying over a death of a character. didnt make it better that i know that the story is based on an autobiographical story.

and thane. was my romance of choice in me2

Souther Thorn

Apr 5, 2013
Chewbacca, I cried and threw the book across the room and then called my dad and cried some more...I was 23 or so....

Tono4ham

Jun 21, 2011
I have cried so many times when I watch anime, but the most was;
jiraiya from naruto was my favourite character, when he died I almost stopped watching it. :(

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
sanquin said:
1: One Piece. The Thousand Sunny. To think a shounen anime could make me shed tears for a friggin' boat. o_O
Methinks you mean the Going Merry. And yes, it is one of the three times I've cried whilst watching One Piece. The others being Usopp's fight with Luffy and Robin getting rescues. The Water 7 arc was just so heart wrenching and awesome at the same time.

Other than the above example I think the ending of The Walking Dead is the only other time a fictional death has brought me to tears.

Souther Thorn said:
Chewbacca, I cried and threw the book across the room and then called my dad and cried some more...I was 23 or so....
Chewbacca dies? D: It's not true, that's impossible!

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
torno said:
The first freaking twenty minutes had me in tears when Sarah died. I'm the kind of guy who gets as emotionally invested as he can during a game or movie so things have a tendency to hit me harder. That, coupled with the fact that I'm kind of a pansy, meant that that intro was pretty strong for me.
Yes, this. I still cry each time zi watch it. I go in being all prepared for it and then suddenly I'm sobbing again.

For me, it's probably the last death in The Walking Dead game. If you've played it, you know what I mean. First time through that scene I could barely make out the dialogue choices, I was crying so hard.