What's the most you've cried at a fictional character's death?

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Elementary - Dear Watson said:

This...

When I read it in the book I cried for ages! Still well up thinking about it!
I think this is relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GebMPnUUg44

OT: the last episode of the Walking Dead game. First one that came to mind.

I also got very emotional when my dog died in Fable 2. I was about 10 when that happened, next playthrough I resurrected him despite being completely pure/good.

And of course the dog from I am Legend.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
*post may contain spoilers. read at own risk*

Having subjected myself to the myriads of children's shows the japanese make for the sole purpose of separating tears from their ducts (yeah, "children's". it's not even ambiguous like some anime. Japan's a messed up place) I'm no stranger to deep and absorbing sorrow as a result of fiction. Grave of the Fireflies, Nobody's boy Remi, A dog of Flanders (though the source material for that one was just as sad), Barefoot Gen, etc, these are all titles that made me ball back in the day.

these days a touching scene can warm my heart, and a tragic scene may make me sob a little, but I try to avoid the hardcore emotional liver-blows. my poor heart can't take it. As a result, aside from a few episodes of futurama, I've only cried when characters I've had years to grow attached to are suddenly yanked away.

R.I.P, Ulquiorra. You found your heart, tin-man.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
For me it was the ending of avatar. However it was less the deaths themselves then what they were dying for. However I really cried at the end of King Kong. I felt sooo bad for him. I went extreme pro animal for a night lol.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
The end of Gran Torino. Spoilers if you haven't seen it, but if you have then you know exactly what I mean.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
I didn't cry and Roland didn't die, but I felt utterly desolate reading the end of the Dark Tower series. I had so much invested in the series, I'd been reading it for years and bought every book that was written after I was born as soon as it was available.

Generic4me

Oct 10, 2012
PC from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, really all of them, but mostly Explorers.
Man that scene was sad.

Also John Marston from RDR to an extent. It got a little dampened by those horrible endgame missions and that I totally saw it coming, but still kinda sad.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
sanquin said:
2: Mass Effect 3: Mordin Solus. He was one of my favourite characters. He died such an heroic death imo...even if it wasn't in combat.
Yes, yes, me too. My first real tears in a videogame, I think.
The second time was the extended ending of ME3.

Apart from that I tend to very seldomly cry in movies but did so in "Hero" (hach...these stunning visuals, the story, the epicness) and "Moulin Rouge" (I am not into musicals but I am totally into Baz Luhrmann).

The end of Secret of Mana might qualify for close-to-crying-because-of-a-game-(while-being-underage).

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
I cried for an hour straight after I got a what sort-of amounts to a "game over" in this Visual Novel I've read. My character ended up killing the love interest.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
The ending of Cloud Atlas. The deaths of a few of the characters, but better yet, the juxtaposition of those scenes with the utter beauty of some others that play out concurrently. Watching Sixsmith run up those stairs, when you know what's going to happen, is truly painful the second, third, and fourth times around (I'll report back on the fifth when I watch it again). The whole "If I cared to imagine a Heaven, I would imagine a door opening" line, just as they cut to the door opening, phenomenal.

Seriously, Cloud Atlas is, if not my favourite movie, certainly my second favourite. There is some absolutely masterful movie making going on there.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
I think it is fair to say that if the death of Mufasa turned you into a crying man baby, then one viewing of The Plague Dogs will more than likely put you in a suicidal depression.

Watch the uncut one hour and forty minute version on YouTube. Its a truly excellent and classic film!

Halfie2

Jan 28, 2013
So many spoilers in this thread...

OT: Never actually cried at character deaths, but I did shed quite a few tears when

[Image=http://img2.cdn.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/03072008/1/c/0/4/1c04aff22d6200_full.png]http://img2.cdn.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/03072008/1/c/0/4/1c04aff22d6200_full.png[/IMG]
Nicholas D. Wolfwood dies

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
If we aren't talking about videogames, which would be
Walking Dead, Red Dead Redemption, and Mass Effect 3
I actually teared up a bit when Rock Lee broke his leg/arm. It was a heartstring-pulling moment.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9oaDGRwHUc
37:30 in.
He was such a god damned badass...

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
sanquin said:
Mass Effect 3: Mordin Solus. He was one of my favourite characters. He died such an heroic death imo...even if it wasn't in combat.
This definitely got me. I've NEVER had a game make me cry until Mass Effect 3 and I cried 4 times during it.

Also there's an older movie called "Simon Birch" that I watched as a child, and as someone with an uncle (more like a brother) who has Downs Syndrome, I bawled my eyes out the entire time.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Elementary - Dear Watson said:

This...

When I read it in the book I cried for ages! Still well up thinking about it!
Gah! I've been reminded of "Of Mice and Men", although that death was upsetting in the book, in the film it's absolutely hilarious much like the other deaths.

On-topic, I'd either pick Seymour from Futurama or:

Angela from Silent Hill 2, if you've played the game you know why.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
None at all. I can't bring myself to cry. I can get angry that the author killed them off.

Come to think of it, a lot of shows that kill off a really well loved character are the type of shows that will break the rules to resurrect them.

dudagato

Jul 14, 2010
I've recently saw The Grave of The fireflies, and you could possibly gess where this is going.

Even the the fact that you knew the kids were going to die didn't help.

It was also the only time i ever cried at a piece of fiction.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I watched toy story 3, nothing. Finished walking dead, nope. Jurassic bark? Yeah it's sad but no tears.

There has been only one. Damn that little vollyball man.

Sofus said:
Well this is highly disturbing. If a fictional character can provoke strong emotional responses, then i'm somewhat worried what some of you might do or how you would react when a family member dies.
I kind of just emotionally switched off, haven't felt strongly about much since. :D