What's the most you've cried at a fictional character's death?

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
The ending of this film really hit me hard http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182789/

There was another time watching Breaking Bad in which that one guy Almost dies when fighting those two assassins in that parking lot. That really really hit me hard, watching that for the first time was surreal because the way they set up the scene before hand. God dang the cinematography in that show is amazing.

Also that Dog in Futurama, the most saddest thing! Gah just thinking about it pretty much draws tears from my eyes. I think its ever more relevant since I have a dog.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
sanquin said:
Hmmm...there are 3 for me.

1: One Piece. The Thousand Sunny. To think a shounen anime could make me shed tears for a friggin' boat. o_O
You mean the Going Merry.

This is the Thousand Sunny:

None the less I share your sentiment, those tears weren't even manly tears they were the tears of a wounded heart.

See also Ace, Whitebeard, Sabo, the backstory of Nami and Sanji & Zeff... etc...

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Elementary - Dear Watson said:

This...

When I read it in the book I cried for ages! Still well up thinking about it!
Poor guy. I only read the book. His death didn't make me cry, but it hit me a bit, especially due to the description of the gunman's action/emotions leading up to the killing.

For me: Last scene in walking dead. I didnt think it had really happened until i was back at the title screen. Then i just cried for a little bit. His me like a cricket bat to the kneecaps.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Johny_X2 said:
RyQ_TMC said:
That's an easy one.

I cried in the theater, and later developed a habit of leaving the room when watching Lion King on VHS and That Scene was approaching.

Captcha: Big screen. Yes captcha, I saw it in the theater. I cried. We all cried.
Exactly. I cried in the cinema. I cried when I was watching it at home on a VHS. and I can't bear watching this scene again anytime the movie's on.
Still not as sad as Bambi's mother.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I bawled my eyes out at a play about the Jewish segregation and Holocaust, but those were representative of real people, so I'm not sure it counts.

Other than that, My Dog Skip took me HOURS to recover from.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Evonisia said:
Angela from Silent Hill 2, if you've played the game you know why.
"It's as hot as hell in here."

That scene didn't make me cry, but it made me pause the game and sit in a different room with a glass of water for a while.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned anything from Game of Thrones...

For me it was probably the ending of The Walking Dead game or the ending of the novel Mercy Among the Children, which is a Canadian novel that most of you have probably never heard of but was fantastic and you should definitely all read it if you need something to read.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
sanquin said:
Z of the Na said:
Nice spoiler there. Thanks for the warning.

OT: I've never cried due to any fictional piece of work, be that movie or video game, ever.
You, sir, have no (or too little) empathy. o_O
Don't say that. Some people just don't get as easily upset as other. I have never cried from media before either.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Sofus said:
Well this is highly disturbing. If a fictional character can provoke strong emotional responses, then i'm somewhat worried what some of you might do or how you would react when a family member dies.
Not really, its quite natural to feel sad or happy about fictional characters. They mean something because thats why they where created in the first place, stories are as old as humanity really and have a big place in all cultures.

OT

The saddest I felt about a game was
Cortanas "death" at the end of Halo 4 made me sad, that last moment when she said goodbye to the Chief and he was struggling to deal with his motions. That was what made me said, to see a conditioned sociopath try to deal with the loss.

Also the end of Bioshock 2
When subject Delta died in the end after the bomb blast, I felt for Delta because he was experimented on and turned into a monster with a compulsion to protect his "daughter" whatever the cost. After everything he fought against the hardship and dangers he faced he was nearly free and gotten his daughter to safety, then just as they are grasping freedom he is brutally killed. The final scene when his daughter took all his memories was touching too.

Killing Mordin was terrible, when Shepard shoots Mordin in the back to prevent him from curing the genophage. I hated myself for a good five minutes after that.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I must admit I started tearing up when the dog became infected and had to be put down in I am legend.

Animal characters dying seems to touch me more then when its a human that kicks the bucket.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Evonisia said:
Angela from Silent Hill 2, if you've played the game you know why.
"It's as hot as hell in here."

That scene didn't make me cry, but it made me pause the game and sit in a different room with a glass of water for a while.
Yeah pretty much the same, I think I just substituted "cried" for "emotionally effected in a sad way", because it made more sense.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Didn't cry but I'd say a certain character from Bridge to Terabithia got to me. Totally unexpected. Though the movie falsely advertises itself as some kind of fantasy when that's the smallest part of it, so most of the movie caught me off-guard.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Lightknight said:
Didn't cry but I'd say a certain character from Bridge to Terabithia got to me. Totally unexpected. Though the movie falsely advertises itself as some kind of fantasy when that's the smallest part of it, so most of the movie caught me off-guard.
Oh god yes...you're watching it not expecting it and then BAM! Emotional shot to the cojones.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Lightknight said:
Yup.

I rarely cry, even when someone I love in real life dies. I'm just not the type to cry in front of other people. Or even much on my own. That doesn't mean it doesn't tear me to pieces, though.

I did tear up with Aeris in FFVII died, but then I was a young emotional teenager so it didn't take much.

The wolf in Robin Hobb's Assassin series. I forget the wolf's name. Fitz's partner.

Dumbledore. And Fred. Oh god, Fred. Being an identical twin myself, that death hit me the hardest.

And many more, I just can't think of anymore at the moment.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
RyQ_TMC said:
That's an easy one.

I cried in the theater, and later developed a habit of leaving the room when watching Lion King on VHS and That Scene was approaching.

Captcha: Big screen. Yes captcha, I saw it in the theater. I cried. We all cried.
This.

I found it amazing when I went to watch The Lion King in 3D.

Through teary eyes, I was looking at the crowd - several adults flinched during that scene.

I KNOW THEY WERE CRYING. I KNOW IT.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Ahri said:
I found it amazing when I went to watch The Lion King in 3D.

Through teary eyes, I was looking at the crowd - several adults flinched during that scene.

I KNOW THEY WERE CRYING. I KNOW IT.
I think it was Disney deciding to show LucasArts how it's done. They killed Darth Vader and made everyone cry. The best reaction Lucas ever got for his try was "man, this guy looks pale".

superpandasauras

Mar 9, 2012
I'd say Marley from "Marley and Me", because I bawled at that movie, but I don't think that counts, seeing as it was a true story(more or less).
Also, I teared up a lot of times at the "Warrior Cats" series, but I only cried at Yellowfang and Cinderpelt's deaths.

superpandasauras

Mar 9, 2012
I'd say Marley from "Marley and Me", because I bawled at that movie, but I don't think that counts, seeing as it was a true story(more or less).
Also, I teared up a lot of times at the "Warrior Cats" series, but I only cried at Yellowfang and Cinderpelt's deaths

Kged

Mar 17, 2013
Eleuthera said:
...the death of
Anya
I'm currently rewatching the whole of BtVS and Angel, after a long absence. Over the weekend I hit THAT episode from season 5, the one I promised myself years ago that I'd never watch again. I should have kept that promise. I had to keep right on watching for several episodes to get past it, and wept like a girly girl during it. It's a technically incomparable piece of television which can only be admired, but more to the point it pulled my heart out and bounced it off the walls (as Joss is wont to do, the bastard).