What's the most you've cried at a fictional character's death?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009

In all seriousness though, probably had to be
Thomas from Thomas was Alone. Best damn character building I've ever seen.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Glad to know other people had the same experience with Bridge to Terabithia. People who haven't seen the movie always stare at me when I mention it as one of the saddest "kid movies" made.

Seanfall said:
Lightknight said:
Didn't cry but I'd say a certain character from Bridge to Terabithia got to me. Totally unexpected. Though the movie falsely advertises itself as some kind of fantasy when that's the smallest part of it, so most of the movie caught me off-guard.
Oh god yes...you're watching it not expecting it and then BAM! Emotional shot to the cojones.
I kept waiting for the movie to get fully into the fantasy world and then it went dark real fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvqEIKP4t8

I defy anyone to look at that trailer and divine that the fantasy world makes up less than ten minutes of actual movie time and is almost entirely unrelated to the plot. That it isn't an adventure movie so much as a coming of age drama. I only saw the movie because my Aunt is an elementary school teacher and she had the movie once when I visited. I remembered the trailer and thought a fantasy movie would be good. Honestly, I think their marketing department lied. It's a memorable movie though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I cry a lot during movies, but hardly ever over a character death. During those moments I'm too shocked to cry, I guess.

For example, The Land Before Time is probably the biggest tear jerker I've ever seen. Even now it'll already have me bawling like an infant during Littlefoot's hatching scene. When Littlefoot's mother dies however I won't cry at all, yet the aftermath with Littlefoot being all lonely and sad will have me crying my eyes out.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
GamerAddict7796 said:
*FUCKING SNIP*.
What. The FUCK. Now, I've already played the game, but there are tons of people who haven't. Right now, your post is written so that people have absolutely zero warning before you spoil a fucking awesome game for them. I would....VERY much appreciate it if you would edit your post to give people a fair warning.

OT: Uh...Yeah, same as him.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
All dog movies...that is why they are putting the dog in COD, they know people will cry at the death of the dog (which will obviously happen).

I forget what the movie was called and I only caught the end, but it was about a dog that waited at the train station everyday for his master and eventually the dog dies lying there. Oh god, the feels.
That is what the Futurama episode is based on. The same happened with My Dog Skip, I only caught the end but the dog dying on the bed of the son q.q

I am going to lose it when my dog dies.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
SkarKrow said:
Yea, one piece is filled with emotional moments. And that while it's a shounen/comedy most of the time. It balances those three very nicely. Same with the series 'Scrubs'.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Pinkamena said:
Don't say that. Some people just don't get as easily upset as other. I have never cried from media before either.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. It was meant as a joke. A bad one apparently. ^^;;

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Glongpre said:
All dog movies...that is why they are putting the dog in COD, they know people will cry at the death of the dog (which will obviously happen).
Pfft, seeing dogs with those cute vests die in Black Ops II multiplayer will always be a million times sadder than one dog dying.

Especially is one uses a Guardian on them :(

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Okay I have few I can't choose between and I will spoiler, and put spoilers in spoilers!

When John Marston dies at the end I cried for 5 full minutes.
I cried when James Franco died and a few minutes later when Seth and Jay are going up to heaven and Seth falls
When Cortana "dies" in 4 and Avery Johnson dies in 3
When Carmine dies in 2 and Dom dies in 3 I cried like a little girl

soveliss24

Jul 23, 2013
Kaidan Alenko, Thane Krios, Mordin Solus, and Legion: The four squadmates lost in my (personal) 'canon' Mass Effect run. As for which affects me the most out of those, probably a tie between Thane and Mordin. Legion is VERY close behind.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
sanquin said:
SkarKrow said:
Yea, one piece is filled with emotional moments. And that while it's a shounen/comedy most of the time. It balances those three very nicely. Same with the series 'Scrubs'.
It's very successful at building characters that the view/reader cares about and sucking you in to their world. It makes you genuinely care and as a result when something bad happens you feel bad about. It hits such a perfect balance between it all, it's a shame it's not more popular in the west (and yet Naruto with it's atrocious train wreck of a story is...)

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well obviously Mufusa in Lion King cause that just seems to get everybody. I still cry at that scene and I don't know why. I think it's largely because of the music.

Kid Loki's death.
"A comedy in 30 parts, or a tragedy in 31" indeed. That thing had me depressed even though I figured it was coming.

Loki is too major a villain to stay as a good intentioned kid, especially with the movies and you know Ikol/old Loki was being misleading if not outright lying at the start because duh this is Loki we're talking about.
It's made so so much worse by the fact that nobody (except maybe Hela?) knew about it and it just never really felt like he had a solid victory with anything. Everything he did ended up having terrible consequences later down the line. Even freeing the Disir of their curse screwed him over in the end because it meant he had to bow to Ikol's wishes rather than committing true suicide (you know a comics depressing when getting his soul eaten and being erased was the protagonists preferred option). I wish it had gone on a bit longer just so you could have some plots that weren't so directly tied to the Fear Itself and Everything Burns arcs.

I'm just glad he didn't kill off Volstagg as well although he probably would be resurrected sooner or later anyway

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
One that I had forgotten about because I originally read the novel in which the death occurs out of order but recently happened upon again during a proper reading of the series:

Jeffrey Tolliver. Jeffrey goddamn Tolliver.

That's all.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I cry during touching moments but not too many deaths now that I think about it, but here are a couple-
Nagisa. Ushio was too much too soon so I was a bit dumb to that one, but the father daughter happy moment brought tears to my eyes.
Daguza Mackle. I have no idea why either, he wasn't especially likable or anything, but it was pretty shocking.
Giant Space Squids (both the mom and the dad).

lord canti

May 30, 2009
SkarKrow said:
sanquin said:
SkarKrow said:
It's very successful at building characters that the view/reader cares about and sucking you in to their world. It makes you genuinely care and as a result when something bad happens you feel bad about. It hits such a perfect balance between it all, it's a shame it's not more popular in the west (and yet Naruto with it's atrocious train wreck of a story is...)
Another thing it does well for me is that the characters genuinely seem to care for each other and that almost every single character has their own back story. I never get that sense of friendship with Bleach and Naruto. Never has either of those series made me believe that Ichigo and Naruto truly care for their comrades the way One Piece does.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
lord canti said:
SkarKrow said:
sanquin said:
SkarKrow said:
Another thing it does well for me is that the characters genuinely seem to care for each other and that almost every single character has their own back story. I never get that sense of friendship with Bleach and Naruto. Never has either of those series made me believe that Ichigo and Naruto truly care for their comrades the way One Piece does.
That's partially because, in Naruto at least, most fights are very one sided and the protagonists rarely lose and when they do it feels like a weightless defeat.

There's no defining moments of characters like the fight at Arlong Park, or Luffy's desperate struggle against Rob Lucci, or Garp's sorrow and rage over his adopted grandsons death. Nothing quite manages that sense of weight the same.

They also don't manage to be as light hearted when they need to be.

Know what I'd kill for? A spin off sitcom set in Impel Down....