What's the Quickest You've Ever Given Up on a Game?

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Madden. Don't know which number. Don't think it matters. After enjoying the NBA games despite having no knowledge of basketball, I thought it might be a laugh.

I was wrong. The most overly time-consuming, pointless, prescribed gameplay possible, a manager mode where you have so many players that they are all insignificant in the grand scheme of things, and a stupid amount of PS4 hard drive space. Screw that.

Salomega

Nov 15, 2011
Gonna have to go with Dishonored 2 because it suffers from some of the same problems as one: Super sight-line guards, platforming from a first person perspective and the most egregious sin to my mind, locking off the supernatural powers for the first mission which ruined my no kill/no detection run completely.
Dishonorable mentions go to both Tera and ESO because they both bored me to tears so badly that I had to give up within 30 minutes of character creation. Some of my friends are MMO junkies but I've never honestly seen the appeal, the only one I can truly stomach is Star wars: The old republic and that's only because the empire side has interesting stories.

ZodiacMaster101

Jul 6, 2010
The latest game that I've fully given up on was Xenoblade Chronicles X. I bulldozed my way through the countless sidequests necessary to get the Skell license, customized my Skell's colors to make it look like Megas from Megas XLR, and then promptly got blown the fuck up the minute that I went to go fight one of the many monsters littering the landscape. I think doing all of that took roughly 30 hours.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Fable: the Lost Chapters (I think that's the name)... started... tone pissed me off, went XP farming, and got bored within half an hour... -_-

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus... HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SLOG THROUGH EACH FREAKIN' LEVEL?!?!

Divinity: Dragon Commander... I ended up buying this for just one track from the soundtrack (RIP Kirill), the game itself was unfun, even for RTS's once I had played a few skirmishes and gotten past the campaign race gimmick...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Armourines. Played it for a few minutes, hated the control style, never went back to it.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Sadly [again] another game I gave up after 3-4, is Yooka-Laylee.....
Terrible camera which made s*ck to my head, terrible mini games and the rolling ability is a gift of the Satan......
I suggest you to play "Poi" instead. Not colorful like Yooka-Laylee, but it have better gameplay.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Sunset Overdrive. I really thought I'd like it, but five minutes in and I was feeling pretty meh. Forced myself to play for an hour, was even more meh. Ah well...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
There's been two games that I've rented and returned the same day.

First one: FFX-2. Rented it, played it for about 2 hours then took it back and said that it wouldn't work in my system and got a different game. The lipsyncing...writing...character design...everything about that game was fucking terrible. The only thing good to come from FFX-2 is Rikku cosplay.

Second one: Dark Souls. This one I could at least understand the appeal and could respect the game for what it was doing/how it was doing it...I just wasn't up to the challenge. I'm not the type of person who enjoys punching themself in the dick over and over again, so I took that game back after giving it a good 5 hours.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Titanfall for me; maybe 20 minutes total? Granted, I did it to myself since I knew my fun with multiplayer peaked early last gen before everything wanted to be CoD, so I shouldn?t have expected this one to change my mind, but for whatever reason I bought it the week it launched. (I don?t think I was entirely convinced there was no single player aspect at ALL; I think I thought it might have been like Chromehounds where the single player ?campaign? was basically a protracted tutorial to prepare you for the multiplayer, but it was still something you could play alone.) Anyway, I popped Titanfall in, got through the tutorial, and halfway through my first online match, I realized ?this is literally ALL there is to this game.? I finished the match, popped the game back out and haven?t touched it since.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Metroid Other M. I tried to give it a chance. I managed to get through the first major boss or so, but afterwards...

The dialogue was terrible, the characters were off, and the mechanics didn't work for me. In particular, the swap between 1st and 3rd person with missiles made me want to hurl the Team Ninja office into the sun. Something about that (and I think I was immobile while using it? Can't recall) made me irrationally angry when the rest of the crap merely made me annoyed.

Total Time: A few hours.

Bayonetta was the other one that comes to mind. I can't stand the protagonist. Everything about her creeps me out. Don't enjoy the mechanics. Never liked series that tried to be edgy by making angels the antagonists. Her looks and powers don't do it for me. Her accent grates on my ears and sounds fake. I found myself actively rooting for bosses even as I fought them. And I can't get behind an idiot who sells her soul to demons for power when there are equally good powers that you can get WITHOUT damning your soul to eternal suffering.

I gave this one more time. Maybe 5-8 hours total?