Whats the strangest book you've ever read?

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
All of them.
They're like "What."
Not strange, just random. My mind can cope with them easily. It's all very simple really.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth_And_I_Must_Scream]

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
What you wish for. Some story about a sculptor who sculpts a statue and it comes to life and blah blah blah blah.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Can't pick one.
Has to be between:

Mort
Illuminatus Trilogy
Nostradamus Ate My Hamster
Naked Lunch

Feb 18, 2009
Well, I guess anything by Poe or Lovecraft. Love that weird stuff. But I found the Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz even more strange. So full of obscure symbolism and references to both alchemy and the occult, it´s bewildering. Great book.

benwins

Dec 29, 2008
Stray Toasters
theres a guy in a suit with circuits for hands and a toaster for a head going round killing people and an alcoholic detective who gets drunk and starts shooting pink elephants
confusing stuff

Brainbomb

Jan 6, 2009
I wouldn't really say Lovecraft is strange. He's horror, and his stories are often very similar to each other in terms of content.

Weirdest Book I have yet to read is House of Leaves. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

I'd have to say that One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marquez is pretty damned out there, at least without belaboring the point of being strange.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
The book Saint by Ted Dekker. The man's a decent writer, but here's his idea of a plot twist.

"You are the world's most lethal killing machine. go kill a man who wants to disarm isreal. OKAY, my bad, your supposed to kill the president. oh, and your the messiah."

Seriously, search Ted Dekker in the forums, and you'll find at least one comment of me bitching about it.

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
kailsar said:
rob_d said:
Finnegans Wake by James Joyce.

I'm still building up courage to read it for a second time somewhere this year.

The book is practically unreadable, plus it begins in the middle of a sentence and ends with the beginning of that sentence. The theory behind it is that besides being unreadable it's also never ending.
The wierdest book I've ever read is Ulysses by James Joyce, but only because I've never read Finnegans Wake. May I ask why you read it, and plan to read it for a second time? Did you get anything from it, bar a headache?
Of course you may ask.
I read it because it was considered to be the most difficult book to read by people like authors and suchlike. Sort of like the K2 of literature.
It's also interesting to know that James Joyce spend something like 17 years on this "book". tweaking and twiddling until he thought it good enough to publish.

I'd say go to a book store, or your library and pick up this book, open it at random and read for a couple of minutes. And then decide for yourself if you like to one day finish it (if it were even possible considering the nature of the book) or if it's all gibberish and a waste of time to you.

I would also point out that I read Ulysses twice, first a translated copy in Dutch when I was 17, but I didn't think at the time I was doing the author justice. So I bought it in English when I was 18 and read it the way it was supposed to be read.
Then at 19 I've read almost everything by James Joyce and finally bought Finnegan's Wake, tried to read it, but wasn't able to. This happened sort of every three months till I was 21 and finally was able to read it.

My vocabulary has probably doubled since I finished Finnegans Wake, So I think it's about time for a second run.

But first I have to finish the Dexter books by Jeff Lindsay.

DreadfulSorry

Feb 3, 2009
Toss up between The Sound and the Fury, and Beloved. Oh stream of consciousness writing, how I utterly, utterly loathe your existence.

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
House of Leaves and Naked Lunch. If I remember correctly, Burroughs claimed that he didn't even remember writing the book.

CBPodge

Mar 15, 2009
Slaughterhouse Five is plenty fucking weird! It starts out as a person talking about the war and just randomly develops into a....I think the word "clusterfumble" is appropriate here. I'm sure there's some really obvious point its making, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

One of my favourite books is called The Raw Sharks Texts* by Steven Hall. Absolutely brilliant, but absolutely completely batshit crazy. About a bloke from Derby (England, he's an English author) being chased by the concept of a fish. Yes, its as ridiculous as it sounds, but is one of the most brilliantly inventive novels I've ever read. I've read it three times now and I still can't figure out the ending. Highly recommended.

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak is pretty weird as well, mainly because its narrated by death. Very very good though.

Thing is, I like books to be a little weird, but if a book is weird it needs to be especially good, because you aren't going to put up with that sort of thing from an average book are you?

I've never read it, but isn't it the Life and Times of Tristam Shandy that is a man's autobiography where he never manages to get beyond his own birth? That sounds weird!

*You see, its a pun on Rorschach tests.

Simon Hadow

Mar 12, 2009
Shelf Monkey, it would have been fine relativley normal, if not for it going into an entire paragraph long description of how the main charecters freind Warren was testing a male fertility drug for a company and its... succes... that lasted 2 weeks