What's the strangest thing to ever happen to your body/mind?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Saulkar said:
Holy shit, I do this almost every fricking moment before bed since this August during one of my nightly existential crises. It has really fucked with my ability to have a consistent night wake cycle when I can spend several hours suddenly experiencing what you just described. It seems to be more of a habit than any real psychological issue like say you are going to bed right? You remember what happened when you went to bed the night before, right? Well let us do it all over again!
Hhm... Well it happened mostly when I was younger so I can't remember all the details.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
WolfThomas said:
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Why do they ask you to count down from 10? It seems kind of cruel. I never managed to get past 2, but challenge accepted. Do they ask you to repeat if you get down to 0? I'm kind of terrified of the idea that once you get to '0' it will be accompanied with an "Ah crap..."

I personally don't mind GA. You feel like crap afterwards, but at the same time it feels like the only time you've really ever slept... It's like magic. Suddenly you're unconscious. No tossing, no turning, no indefineable itches in the back of your brain. It's like having a proper reboot.
I wasn't asked to count. Just told to swear at registrar. I was out before I could say anything. Mainly it's just a distraction I think.

I'm probably unusual in that I'm an amazing sleeper. My head hits the pillow most of the time and bam straight asleep. I even got myself investigated for sleep apnoa to make sure that wasn't the cause as I also snore. I didn't have it.
I wish I could do that. Instead I nap for 2 hours, wake up with a start, then snooze a bit, wake up with a start again. Ad nauseum. Each night. I don't dream anymore, which sucks ... add to that often accompanied with a sense of foreboding, loss, confusion, but it's impossible to figure out why I feel like that. It's not nice. So I try compensate by drinking before I go to bed, but that's more so to stop myself falling out of it. Two glasses of wine help dull sensitivity to external sounds, I think. I'm pretty sure it's merely sleep arousal coupled with a partial episode as dopamine reception begins to elevate through the night as the wine wears off.

Not a hell of a lot you can do about it.

But with GA, none of that. 10 hours later of zero disturbance and so worth it in my opinion. If you could get it every night without destroying your body I'd be happy.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
iwinatlife said:
The one time I remember being on GA I got to 7 then the next thing I knew I was in a different building and had no wisdom teeth.
What's with taking general anesthesia to take wisdom teeth? Youtube is full of "After Dentist" people high AF. Where I live, it's only a local one, syringe and all that. Well, it's not "one", but a couple of tiny doses on your gum. Hurts a bit, I might say, but after my second widsom tooth, I went back home alone.

And my weird stuff is also pretty tame, had sleep paralysis once, but only once. Biggest deal probably was freaking my mother when I was 3.
She's on the kitchen making breakfast, and I come to tell her that I don't want to eat, because I already ate with my grand grandparents who died waaay before I was born. She thought it was cute, until I started to describe them in detail, including the way the man used to eat and how the old woman walked funny. I don't remember any of that, but she said it was scary as shit.

Captain Chemosh

Sep 5, 2011
This happened twice to me:
Was riding my bike, checked both ways before crossing a street and then suddenly getting hit from the side by a car that came pretty much out of nowhere. The first time I just got up, got back on my bike (was thrown about four feet) and tried to ride back home. Annoyingly, nearby passerby saw the incident and called an ambulance and all that good stuff so instead of making it home from the library at a decent time I was delayed for an hour.
Second time, same setup, except my bike was wrecked (thrown 8 feet that time). No passerby called that time and I ended up pulling my wrecked bike back home.
Of note though, I've gotten a new bike since then and no longer am a magnet for cars.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I have two for you boys and girls.

One time I was deathly sick in the middle of the night, it was so bad I think I was legitimately losing my mind to the madness. I actually remember screaming out for no apparent reason "I am the king of penguins." ( I swear to God this is true)

The second thing is when I learned what would happen if your hands where in your pockets as you were falling. Let's just say all I wanted for that Year's Christmas was my two front teeth .

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I had a really really creepy one last year. I had a dream about being in a caf? when a shooter walked in and opened fire. He didn't see me, so I was able to maneuver behind him to try and stop him. I managed to rush him, but then and there he pulled a pistol on me, and shot me. I kept clinging on to him trying to take him down, but he fired two more times. I started to faint and lose strength, and just as my body went limp in the dream, my head fell a little in real life and I woke up. It turned out my bed had moved away from the wall it's against, so there was a bit of space between my head and the wall. So it's not really strange at all, but the context it happened in was really unsettling. It made me think of the Lovecraftian thing of our dreams just being different versions of our lives, and in one of those I had just died.

Then there was that one time when I had nearly 40 degrees Celsius fever as a kid. At that point my consciousness basically left me, and I started hallucinating. My night lamp which I could reach from my bed was metallic, and clanged slightly if you hit it. The clang made me believe I was a monk in some medieval monastery.

When the Game boy Advance was new, and I was playing pokemon Crystal like mad, I somehow actually forced myself to wake up about 2 hours before school without an alarm clock to not wake up my parents. That way I could play in private without anyone bothering me. And I did this repeatedly. I still have no idea how it worked.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Getting black out drunk always feels weird. Last time it happened, I was apparently getting really angry at people over a game of pub dominoes.

The weirdest experience I had though was when I got a fever just before taking an 11 hour flight. I was hallucinating a lot of the time, and because 300 had been showing on the plane, I kept seeing bearded men screaming everywhere.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
A friend bought a 300 dollar bottle of absinthe once, and I really wanted to see the green fairy (or, you know, just catch visions or something), so I got past the fact that I don't like licorice (it reminded me a lot of sambuca), and guzzled a bunch.

Nothing happened for a while. I wasn't super disappointed, as I was feeling it like a regular alcohol drunk, but it wasn't anything I couldn't have gotten off of my preferred drinking choices.

About an hour after drinking the first few glasses, lightning started to dance around everthing's edges, kinda like a bad fake 3D effect from the red/blue glasses. Interesting, but ultimately kind of sickening. I tried not to think about it and just had fun... for a while.

Then I apologized tearfully to a cat for everything we had done to it's people since just before the rise of Egypt.

We didn't have a cat.

Never tried it again.

EDIT: Just looked up Absinthe on Wikipedia, and it says that the hallucinogenic effects have been exaggerated... I don't know what to tell you, this is what happened to me, believe it or not, I guess.

I mean, I might have had some other drugs that evening, but I can't really recall. Certainly don't remember specifically taking anything else, beyond alcohol- just remember being hyped to try Absinthe.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I had a high fever when I was 10 or so and hallucinated there was plaster dripping from the ceiling like it was water. It made a pool on the floor and then a mummy with a huge head and a knife rose from the puddle and tried to stab me. Then its head fell off.

For some reason I 'knew' it was the mummy of Ramesses II and he actually built the great pyramid of Giza. I ran to mum crying about that. The weirdest thing looking back on it is how the historical inaccuracy was the most distressing thing. I think the mummy might have tried to kill me so I couldn't tell anyone, I dunno, but I recall this feeling of time folding up so the two time periods from history of ancient Egypt matched and it just felt so wrong I still feel kinda ill thinking about it.

I used to hallucinate pretty easily as a kid if I had fever or hadn't slept well but it stopped after puberty.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Strangest thing that ever happened to my mind was the 'ghost car' from when I was 6 or 7.
I got up late one night to go to the washroom and glanced out the window. I watched as a car pulled out of its driveway and meanwhile another car was speeding down the street. I expected a collision but instead one car passed right through the other.

Was either car real?

Aug 31, 2012
Probably an interesting mix of coke, ketamine, MDMA and heroin, heavy on the first 2, lighter on the others. Everything went except the feeling of moving forwards very fast, except I had no concept of what any of those things were until I slowly came to the realisation that "I" "existed" and would be flying into infinity forever and probably always had been. Very slowly, or perhaps quickly, who knows, it felt like eternity, except I had no memory to judge any sense of the past (kind of a contradiction, but it's not really something I can describe properly)I became vaguely aware of memories of myself and at some point after that my brain started to process sound again in a very mixed up way and then sight and indeed the very concept that vision or anything external to myself existed, came back in the form of the rave I was at spiralling into into me like one of those multicoloured swirly lollipops. Then I was standing there in a field feeling slightly cold and staggered off to find my girlfriend.

DMT or an exciting hyosicamine/atropine mix come a close 2nd/3rd, however they only bent reality massively as opposed to obliterated time, space and all thought and memory of existence.

Don't do drugs kids.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Last month I had a heart attack, only just surviving due to emergency surgery (angioplasty).

It has precipitated a huge lifestyle change that I am still coming to terms with.

Nothing in my life so far has given me more motivation for change than asking a doctor if I was going to survive only to be told 'ummm...'

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The weirdest happened when I got a flu right before going on a long distance flight. I hallucinated most of the flight. 300 was showing on the plane, and I kept seeing shrieking bearded men everywhere.