What's the worst example of bad science in a film you've watched?

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Why?

My wife told me there was this good film coming on TV and then made me sit through it with her.
It was some trashy straight to video flick called solar attack. At first it's science just looked Bad.

1) Humanity has risen the amount of methane in the stratosphere by 3% - I'll let that ridiculous premise slide as even climate scientists seem happy publishing rubbish like that.

2) The sun is throwing coronal mass at directly at the earth in several pulses?

3)somehow the thicker atmosphere makes earth more vulnerable to sun temperature ionized gas

then the film floundered around for a bit with the usual babbling ignorant (read Hollywood super) scientist vs government official crap and some random Russian sub. Then they came up a plan to stop the solar flare in it's tracks, yes that's right stop a solar flare. The plan runs - I shit you not - put it out with some water. At about this point my wife punched my in the arm repeatedly to get me to stop laughing.

Plan runs; WAIT until the atmosphere has been hit by ALL of the pulses (because the first few billion tonnes of sun stuff can be handled by the damaged atmosphere) and is on fire then get Russian sub to nuke the north pole throwing water into the atmosphere which puts out the solar flare. that's plan is Just EPIC.

Problems? (as if you can't see them):

1) Methane's to heavy to get out of the troposphere and given how greenhouse effective it is a 3% rise would be end of life as we know it.

2) The odds on this are astronomical but plausible but pulses? the earth would have to have stopped moving for more than one to hit directly.

3)the earths magnet protects us and given a solar flare is hundreds of times the size of earth a direct would just destroy us magnetosphere, atmosphere or no.

4) Billions of tonnes of superheated plasma. with water. really. Ignoring the fact that a nuke won't put up enough water to put out a fire across the whole planet and that it wouldn't be in a liquid state what water that goes up will be atomized by the superheated plasma anyway.

However if this ever happened I feel that this plan might actually be used, if only to keep some officials feeling important and distracted enough while they wait to die.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
That you can hear explosions and laserguns in space.
It's the worst because the film-makers can't even plead ignorance - everybody knows about this.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Queen Michael said:
It's the worst because the film-makers can't even plead ignorance - everybody knows about this.
This. It seriously pisses me off.

EDIT: Following a quote from Unrulyhandbag, I'll edit this in here;

I guess an explenation could be that plasma or laser, ionizes the air around it, within the gun from which it is fired. This could make it produce sound since oxygen might exist within the mechanics firing. This could enable the sound to travel, with the shot, into a tiny fraction of space before the oxygen dissolves.

Hell. I don't know, it was just a random thought that ocurred to me just now.

Lord Legion

Feb 26, 2010
I recently watched a MST3K (mystery science theatre 3000) show about spiders that came out of a black hole.

Apr 19, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Well it might not be scientific but I'd rather have Star Wars with its lasers and explosions then have what scientists have said real space warfare would be like.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Boneasse said:
Queen Michael said:
I once was give a plausible(ish) explanation for this.

In the future starships will come equipped with a program that replicates the noises humans expect to hear through the internal speakers, including zappy lasers and doppler effects when approaching\passing an object, just to help them make decisions faster and feel more comfortable.

It think it was on the free-space forums I was told that, I mean why else go to the effort of making a doppler effect sound program that calculates everything on the fly for your space game?

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I am in total agreement of this. It drives me nuts.

(Actually the re-made Star Trek film got it right so, y'know, sometimes they do get it right).

I'm usually quite good at pointing out things like that when it happens (being predantic about science) but all other instances of bad science in films has gone out of my brain. Ho well.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The Procrastinated End said:
Queen Michael said:
Well it might not be scientific but I'd rather have Star Wars with its lasers and explosions then have what scientists have said real space warfare would be like.
Agreed; I was only critisizing the science, not the awesome movies.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Unrulyhandbag said:
Boneasse said:
Queen Michael said:
I once was give a plausible(ish) explanation for this.

In the future starships will come equipped with a program that replicates the noises humans expect to hear through the internal speakers, including zappy lasers and doppler effects when approaching\passing an object, just to help them make decisions faster and feel more comfortable.

It think it was on the free-space forums I was told that, I mean why else go to the effort of making a doppler effect sound program that calculates everything on the fly for your space game?
I guess another explenation could be that plasma or laserguns ionizes the air around it, within the gun from which it is fired. This could make it produce sound since oxygen might exist within the guns firing, thus enabling the sound to travel, with the shot, into a tiny fraction of space before the oxygen is dissolved.

Hell. I don't know, it was just a random thought that ocurred to me just now.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
The core. If wikipedia is to be trusted it was voted the worst film ever for bad science.

And to save me the effort of listing why this is the case a man wrote an article for me.
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/thecore_review.html

Zonra

Nov 19, 2009
The happening...

just... everything in this movie.. the plants.. its just..

Dont know ho i managed to sit trough that movie, its just painfull to hear it all.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Queen Michael said:
This isn't an example of "bad science". They're perfectly aware of this.

The reason for them breaking this rule of science is that the moviegoers and -buyers wouldn't be comfortable watching a movie that includes thirty minutes of space warfare, with nothing but Captain Kirk occasionally screaming commands to his subordinates.

That would, simply put, be mindboggingly boring.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Pretty much every science fiction movie ever. Spaceships will be cramped, uncomfortable and getting anywhere takes forever, etc. etc.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Queen Michael said:

Rule of cool. Except for the lasers, they sound awful.

Space combat would probably be absolutely tedious, have zero awesome Nautical references, and it would look terrible.

Instead of that, film makers spice it up. It's a representation of space combat, like how Bollywood films have dancing instead of fights.

Anyway, the infamous sinking ice in GI JOE, the Rise of Cobra.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
As much as I enjoyed the first film, the Matrix as a concept makes no sense.
The laws of thermodynamics do not work that way!

[HEADING=2]Entropy motherfuckers! Look it up![/HEADING]