What's your age, and what are you currently most concerned about?

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
The members of this forum span a variety of ages and life experiences. I'm curious where some of us are in life. So please write your age, and the thing that's weighting heaviest on your mind in a moment.

I'm 25, and my biggest concern atm are the exit exams for my Master's in History. I've been in grad school for two years, and now have to pass a battery of tests to be awarded my degree.

I'm shitting bricks, because you get one retry if you don't pass, and then you are kicked out of the program. I spent two years of my life and sunk into debt in order to get this degree, and I'll forever regret it if I don't earn the thing.

I just want to graduate and start my professional life. In two months I should be done with school, and I'm thinking I'll move to the West Coast, probably rooming with a friend until I can hopefully get a job that pays me enough to not die.

Getting a job is important, because following graduation I'll lose my health insurance, and having health insurance goes a long way towards my goal of not dieing.

So those are my current concerns. How about everyone else?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I'm eighteen, going to be nineteen in two weeks.

I'm currently worried about what I want to do with my life. I'm currently a history major, going for teaching. But now I'm doubting if that's what I really want to do with my life. One thing I learned when I reached college is that the decisions I make her will change my life. It's quite terrifying actually, not being guided to a goal. So, I'm constantly wondering what I can do for a living and not be totally miserable.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
27, currently worried about my increasingly worsening tinnitus.

Eamar

Feb 22, 2012
I'm 22 and my concerns are much the same as yours, just with an undergraduate degree rather than a Masters. My thesis is due in two weeks (and I've already had a 3 week extension due to ill health, just to add to the stress), then after that it's straight into revision for my Finals. Can't wait to be rid of this whole thing. I really haven't enjoyed my degree and I just want to get on with the rest of my life. None of the careers I'm interested in even require a degree, so it does kind of feel like I've wasted the last four years (though of course I'm aware that an Oxford degree will be a useful thing to have "in the bank" as it were). Despite my lack of enthusiasm though, I can't bear the thought of putting four years into this thing and then failing. My university doesn't do continual assessment or exams at the end of each year or anything sensible like that: the entire four years is judged on these exams, nothing else.

I'm also currently applying for jobs and training schemes, all of which are super-competitive, plus the applications themselves are seriously time consuming. Landing a dream job isn't necessarily an immediate concern as I have a backup plan (work any old retail/service/whatever job, save money, go to New Zealand for a year), but equally I really don't want to end up as one of those graduates who gets stuck in a "temporary" retail job for years and years - something I've seen happen to a few of my friends.

My other major concern is my health. I have bipolar disorder, and it's been playing up in a big way these last few months. I'm worried I'll never be properly stable, I'm worried about what employers will think and when/if I should disclose it, I'm worried about how it might count against me in some future situations - getting certain jobs, moving abroad etc. Plus if I have to relocate for work in the next few months, which is looking likely, I'll have to move away from the support network I've finally got set up here, with a GP and psychiatrist who know me and my condition well. The quality of mental health care in this country varies so much from region to region it's not even funny, and setting up initial referrals to new psychiatrists takes forever. Took me three months to see my first psychiatrist, even though I was in crisis.

Sorry for the essay - guess you caught me at a particularly stressful point in my life!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Twenty-two.

At the moment I'm most worried that my plans are going to be completely ruined before they even get started by being rejected by the university I applied to. International post takes way too long to travel.

I'm also worried about going bald. My hair has started to thin out over the past two or three years, and baldness has a tendency to run on my father's side of the family, at least. My grandfather was mostly balding by the time he was twenty-five, and my older brother's hair started thinning a few years back as well. I love my hair. I think I look far better with it than without.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
Country
🇬🇧
Aged 21, graduate here. Mainly concerned about my long-term career, I recently found a job as a Physics Technician after a few months of unemployment so at-least I've got something for the time being but it isn't what I'd like to do for the rest of my life, I'm currently trying to figure out my next step whilst earning some money.

omega 616

May 1, 2009
25 in may.

Biggest worry at the moment is, am I getting paid tonight! It's the biggest problem with being on benefits, when you work you know you're getting paid (unless you're employed by a shitty company or you miss too much work) but with benefits, you sign on and then wait 3 days to find out if you're getting cash.

I've been doing a work trail for 2 and a bit weeks (all unpaid) but I didn't exactly write essays about "what I had been doing to look for work". Basically, the system is a little fucked up, for ages now I've had a guaranteed placement, I just need to get past work trails and stuff ... however I can't simply put "have a placement in the bag, I just have to wait to get paid and then I can come off benefits" and leave it at that till I come off benefits.

I have to actively look for work, which means I have a job but I need to apply for 12 jobs a fortnight, which makes it awkward when an employer rings you and wants you to come to an interview! "yeah, I have a job but I needed to apply to your advert for a position." ... which after 4 years of not even getting "sorry/unfortunately you have been unsuccessful this time" is a piss take!

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm 22.

I'm just finishing my second Masters degree.
My first was in history and the one I'm currently doing qualifies me to work as an archivist or records manager so my main concern is finishing my thesis and getting a job as soon as possible.

I've lingered in university too long methinks.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I'm 20.

I'm coming to the end of my second year in a 4-year chemistry course at uni, and my biggest concern is how difficult the next two years will be. The jump in difficulty between years 1 and 2 was pretty great so I'm dreading the possibility that the difficulty curve remains constant. Add to that the fact that the score you get on your first attempt in an exam is final unless it's less than 40, in which case you can only get a maximum of 40 in your resit.

Basically I'm just terrified that I'm going to end university with a buttload of debt and a crap degree or no degree at all to show for it.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
30 & at this exact moment the only thing I'm worried about is if I'm gonna be able to get drunk & have fun this weekend.

My worries for every other instant of every other day are making sure all the bills get paid, are my elderly parents doing ok, wil my sister ever stop stressing over everything, will I get laid off from my job this month, what the hell is going to need fixing around the house next, will I be single forever, my face has not been feeling right lately & I'm concerned my Bell's Palsy is acting up again... & the list goes on & on & on.

SO yeah I got a few minor concerns.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
Elfgore said:

I'm currently worried about what I want to do with my life. I'm currently a history major, going for teaching. But now I'm doubting if that's what I really want to do with my life. One thing I learned when I reached college is that the decisions I make her will change my life. It's quite terrifying actually, not being guided to a goal. So, I'm constantly wondering what I can do for a living and not be totally miserable.
I hear that. My undergrad started the same way. Lot's of people start off on the teaching track, because it's one of the few jobs you know anything about as a youth. Along the way I started writing for my college newspaper, and found I had a stronger love of writing than teaching history. I ended up dropping the teacher thing and getting an English minor. Then I ended up in Grad school before I found out if that degree can do anything for me.

On a side note, lets hear it for History huh? Was anyone surprised by how different a history education is compared with how laymen think of history?

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Worried I won't graduate uni. (Seems like a common one in this thread.)
Worried that even if I do graduate uni, I won't be able to get a job I enjoy.
Worried that the blood tests my Doctor wants next week, but didn't have time to explain since I was late for the appointment, are to investigate some hugely life-affecting condition I currently cannot actually conceive at the moment.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
I'm 22.

My first was in history and the one I'm currently doing qualifies me to work as an archivist or records manager so my main concern is finishing my thesis and getting a job as soon as possible.

That's an impressive amount of degrees for 22. How did you pull that off?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I'm 23.

Currently, I'm worried about making sure I finish everything I need to do to graduate college in the Fall.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
I'm 26 soon to be 27 (Birthday is in April) and my current concern is coming to terms of being a full pledge adult.

I had an argument with my mum a few weeks back mainly discussing about my current career and future. Long story short, we agreed that the plan to moved to the city will go ahead (need to redo the kichen before putting the property on sale) so I can find a better job (I'm part time sales assistant in a retail store). I'm just don't like the idea of working full time (35+ hours) but I know that is pretty much necessary in life (to pay the bill and etc). I just don't want to sacriface my leisure time but hey I know my parent ain't going to be around forever and I do desire to lived on my own just like any other adults.

It doesn't help the fact that my best mate is no longer in the loop of tv show and cartoon (he started living on his own and worked full time from 9-5 and he end up returning home too exhauted to do anything like gaming or watching a show).

I kind of feel like I need some advice or guidance on this matter from someone who is working full time and living alone.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Currently 22.

Right now, my biggest worry is my driving tests that I need to do. Tomorrow is the written test that allows me to get my permit, and while I have been studying for it, I'm still kinda nervous about screwing it up, as there's little margin for error.

I guess another thing I've been worrying about is my general future. I want to become independent from my family, and by getting this license, I feel that my world will definitely open up for me and give me more opportunities.

I also don't know what I really want to be in life. My current job as a porter at a bowling alley isn't a bad job, but I find it kinda boring and tedious, as I usually just spend most of my time there walking around in huge circles looking for things to do. I don't want to quit though as jobs are pretty hard to find.

I could try and finish up my college education, but I just don't feel up to it. I have to get through my general education which involves three different math classes. And me and math do not get along at all. I guess it's laziness, but I just feel college isn't for me right now.

I'm slightly more optimistic about things than I was a few months ago now that I have a source of income AND I'm getting close to being able to drive myself around. So I guess that's something.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
24, going on 25 in a few months.

Honestly, I think I'm most worried about my dating life. I know that's such a cliche and fairly immature thing to focus on, but I worry about it. I confess, I'm one of those guys with hopes of finding someone special, settling down and starting a family.

I thought I would date in High school (didn't) and thought I would date in college (haven't) I'm just having trouble meeting anyone, and I'm graduating from college next summer. Once I'm out of school, I imagine it'll be a lot tougher to meet people without going for either online dating, or the bar scene. One of those is a disgusting cesspool filled with alcohol and STDs...and the other is the bar scene. Plus I've been trying both of those for a few years to no avail...

So yeah. Given where I'm at in my love life right now, I'm probably gonna end up like Ted Mosby and not meet someone til I'm in my 30's. A bit later than I was hoping for, but all I can do is keep trying.

I don't have too much else to worry about. I've got a pretty decent job and I'm doing great in school so...yeah, mostly worry free right now. Just gotta work on improving myself a bit more and hopefully doing a better job at getting out there.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Mr.Cynic88 said:
Colour Scientist said:
I'm 22.

That's an impressive amount of degrees for 22. How did you pull that off?
Not really, it sounds more impressive than it actually is.

I just didn't really take any breaks.

My mom put me into school a year early so i finished secondary school when I had just turned 17, three year undergrad until I was 20, Masters #1, then there was a 10 month gap while I worked and figured out what I wanted to do next, then Masters #2.
I'll be 23 next month and I finish this one in July.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I'm 31.

My biggest concern is that I'm going on 32 and I'm still in the stage of my career where I'm working nonstop, I'm not where I want to be, and I'm still living in a part of the country that I've spent the past 6 years in but have no desire to settle down in. I spent too much time in school after spending time in the army, and got into my industry much later than I would have liked, so I constantly feel like I'm "catching up".

My equal biggest concern is the state of my wrist, which is messed up. I don't think I can afford surgery with my current private health insurance, and I know that if I had a job, it's a pain to have to switch to left hand and try to work for months. Also, there might not be a way to fix it, after two failed surgeries already.

I like my life and what I do, but the stress is always a little bit too much and I'd like to enjoy things a bit more.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I'm 25 and my biggest concern is at work. On paper I seem to have it all, a BSc (Hons) degree in Biochemistry and chemistry, I currently work as a microbiologist after two years of working in biochemistry, so I have another scientific discipline under my belt, but at my work there is nobody to manage us after our manager was taken ill, and the powers that be decided not to replace her while she was on sick leave, and now we have members of staff now bullying other members of staff, which before was clamped down on, as well as a lot of backbiting and bitchiness, which is now allowed to go unchecked. When a manager does decide to show up, they don't seem to care. I hate working there, I really do, but I really want to learn more in microbiology so I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
I'm 24, close to graduating college which I am somewhat concerned about being able to. The amount of debt I will be in is manageable for the most part. Mainly I'm concerned about actually getting a job that I can tolerate. My degree is something I have zero interest in but I'm so far in I just figured I'd finish it. Now time to figure out something I can make money at, that I can tolerate and have something that is really mine. Both my parents are major F ups to put it nicely. My moms FINALLY got her life on track at 49 and shes still clawing her way into something good while trying to avoid her many pitfalls. and my dad well, hes a lost cause. I don't really want to live the whole "Apple doesn't fall far from the tree" stereotype. But pretty sure I will. I'm terrified of life to the point I think I may need meds and extremely depressed because of it. I'll just get old and be worth nothing just like my dad.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'm 22, my biggest concern is climate change, and that we will completely fuck up the planet, making it very hard to live on and basically not an enjoyable place. I think there is potential to mitigate the effects but it seems quite clear that we're already getting more frequent extreme weather events and extinction of species. The worst possible outcome would be that everyone believes there's nothing they can do about it as an individual, and either doesn't lobby politicians for emission cuts, doesn't change their lifestyle choices to be more green, or both.

On a personal level, I guess it's loads of little worries lumped into one big worry - namely what I'm going to do once I graduate this summer. We have something like 20% youth unemployment in the UK and I don't rate my chances of finding a job that highly. Also the cost of living is going up & I've been in rented houses for the last 4 years...it doesn't really feel like I have a home and it sucks. At least this one is easier to change than GHG emissions though.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
I'm 26 soon to be 27 (Birthdya is in April) and my current concern is coming to terms of being a full pledge adult.

I had an argument with my mum a few weeks back mainly discussing about my current career and future. Long story short, we agreed that the plan to moved to the city will go ahead (need to redo the kichen before putting the property on sale) so I can find a better job (I'm part time sales assistant in a retail store). I'm just don't like the idea of working full time (35+ hours) but I know that is pretty much necessary in life (to pay the bill and etc). I just don't want to sacriface my leisure time but hey I know my parent ain't going to be around forever and I do desire to lived on my own just like any other adults.

It doesn't help the fact that my best mate is no longer in the loop of tv show and cartoon (he started living on his own and worked full time from 9-5 and he end up returning home too exhauted to do anything like gaming or watching a show).

I kind of feel like I need some advice or guidance on this matter from someone who is working full time and living alone.
I can talk to you about living alone and working fulltime if you want. Not sure I can really provide guidance though lol.
Is there anything you actually need help with? Like specific questions?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
23. My biggest concern at this particular moment? Either the fact that today I was diagnosed with anxiety or that tomorrow I have a job interview.

In general though, it's the economy. I really wish the machinations of corrupt businessmen had nothing to do with my day to day existence, I really do, but fact is, if the world economy goes completely down the toilet, so does our civilisation. Never mind the tories using it as an excuse for their "fuck people who aren't filthy rich" policies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Weaver said:
Scarim Coral said:
I'm 26 soon to be 27 (Birthdya is in April) and my current concern is coming to terms of being a full pledge adult.

I can talk to you about living alone and working fulltime if you want. Not sure I can really provide guidance though lol.
Not sure eventhought I am asking for help/ guidance.

I mean even when we moved to the city, I will still be living with them (renting in the city is expensive) but still they are right that I can't keep depending on them.

I guess I just need to experience it properly to address where my concerns lie (I mean I have lived on my own during my time university and enjoyed the hell out of it but I wasn't working (job) like some students and I didn't exactly pay the bills other than the rent which the student loan where there for).

I think maybe one of my questions is how do you still find the time to yourself when you worked longer than 35 hours? I kind of find it daunting that the supervisor tend to only have the evenning to himself and soon had to get back to work the next day early in the morning (well most of the time for him).

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
25 here.

Mostly concerned about college loans (and paying them off), not dying young, and not dying alone.

CAPTCHA: Instantly Skip? I swear CAPTCHA's being a smartass...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Weaver said:
Scarim Coral said:

Not quite eventhought I am asking for help/ guidance.

I mean even when we moved to the city, I will still be living with them (renting in the city is expensive) but still they are right that I can't keep depending on them.

I guess I just need to experience it properly to address where my concerns lie (I mean I have lived on my own during my time university and enjoyed the hell out of it but I wasn't working (job) like some students and I didn't exactly pay the bills other than the rent which the student loan where there for).

I think maybe one of my questions is how do you still find the time to yourself when you worked longer than 35 hours? I kind of find it daunting that the supervisor tend to only have the evenning to himself and soon had to get back to work the next day early in the morning (well most of the time for him).
Well, I work longer than 35 hours every week :)

No doubt about it you're not going to have as much free time as working part time. There's no way you can eat up an additional 35 hours a week and have the same amount of free time. However, it really makes you consider what you're doing with your time. I personally think limiting free time is actually quite beneficial (at least, to me it is).

Really, you adapt and I still find I have lots of time to do the things I like. I remember my unemployed days and I actually feel more productive with my free time even though I have less of it. The reason is, now that it's a limited commodity (instead of having all day to just do whatever) I actually have to make the most of it.

What I like to do is plan on what I'm going to do that night and do it without wasting time. For example, tonight I'm going to watch Kill la Kill, Chuuniyobu, cook dinner, and play diablo 3 for the rest of the time. Really, if you have 6 - 7 hours a night that's a pretty good chunk of time to unwind and get personal stuff done.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Weaver said:
Another question I just remember is the finance wise of being an adult but I suppose that depend on how much you earn and the living arrangement and the cost of the bills.
Last thing I want to be is in debt. Sure I know in that situation you have to be more careful with your spending and finding the best value (I worked in a cheap/ dicount retail store so I know full well at finding something at the best value).
In saying so I also dread on the idea of me being too stict of my money to the point I used it for the necessity only and having too much money woes.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Weaver said:
Another question I just remember is the finance wise of being an adult but I suppose that depend on how much you earn and the living arrangement and the cost of the bills.
Last thing I want to be is in debt. Sure I know in that situation you have to be more careful with your spending and finding the best value (I worked in a cheap/ dicount retail store so I know full well at finding something at the best value).
In saying so I also dread on the idea of me being too stict of my money to the point I used it for the necessity only and having too much money woes.
I'm fortunate enough that I make enough to support me, pay rent, bills, eat, sustain my hobbies and still save a little bit each month. I know not everyone is in the same position.

Really, I find you just end up living within your means. I can still afford to do dinner out with my friends once a week, or what have you. My advice on that front is try and never put yourself in a "break even" or worse situation. Like, don't spend 70% of your paycheck on rent, it's not worth it and you won't be able to do things you like.

Another thing worth considering is many jobs in the city will end up paying more because the cost of living in the area is higher. At least, that's true around here. If you're getting a fulltime, salaried position somewhere make sure you try and get a decent wage out of it. It's no crime trying to get a modest wage so you can save some money for the future. Very few people are working for fun, you're doing it so you can make a living :)

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013

Concern: Everything. OK, OK, I'll give more detail.

Really, my biggest concern is college right now. I recently changed majors from Environmental Science & Policy to Computer Science (long story), and while I'm mostly loving it, there have been some problems. Calculus 3 has been beating me down this whole semester and is not letting up. Granted, the professor is arguably the worst I've ever had, and the book we have is easily the worst math textbook I've ever seen, and I'm barely passing the class even after generous curves. Considering I've maintained a 4.0 GPA since starting college almost three years ago, knowing that it is going to take a hit has been rather stressful, even if I know it will won't go down buy 0.1. It also sometimes makes me question if I changed to the right major. Considering it is a math class, I've been able to compare it very well to the more research and writing-based classes I took with my last major, in which I was exceptional. Even though I know I made the right choice and have no intention of going back or to something like Political Science, that doesn't get through to me at one in the morning while I'm trying to read a poorly written calculus book and figure out what the hell they are doing.

Then there's the upcoming summer and fall. I want to get an internship, but I am completely unsure if that will go through. I seem to have a good prospect, but every day feels like I'm being passed up for the position. I also want to take a class this fall, which is important enough that not taking it could set back my college plans for another semester at minimum, but it is a high competitive course to get into, and that competitiveness is based entirely around how well we do in a single class (which I'm taking this semester). Thankfully, the class has been among the easiest for me, so I'm not too worried, but I don't like knowing that there is that possibility I will get passed up, especially since I've already been delayed by a full year due to the major change.

And then there is all the people issues, but I'll save that essay. Needless to say, it compounds the stress a lot.

Still, even though I have some problems, I'm mostly able to handle it. Like I said, being up at one in the morning tends to remove all sense that I actually can handle things, but it isn't like I'm perpetually under stress to the point where I have no motivation to do anything. I've been in that situation before, and I'm far from being in it again.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
Aug 10, 2020
Country
United States
23, concerned about being stuck where I am physically mentally and emotionally.

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
27 and compared to what some of the other forum goers are going through mine is so trivial. its cooking, i am preparing the first barbecue of the summer on sunday and am in charge of everything from starters to desserts and my main concern is timing, i haven't managed to get my timing right on food prep for a long time no matter how much I plan.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Oct 14, 2020
I'm 19, existential crisis all over the place. Scared of the future. Being lonely, being overcrowded, never being able to express myself, growing old. I feel so vain for placing self-expression on that list, but god, it just seems to matter to me so much, and it drives me insane seeing people with fantastic talents and a great life on top of them. I know it's really scummy, but...well, I don't really know how I can excuse it. It's not hatred, mind you it's just a sort of jealousy mixed with admiration that results in frustration thanks to my overall lack of self-worth.

Summation of my rambling: 19, concerned with life in general. Not going anywhere at the current rate, feeling broken for being unable(????) to do anything about it.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am 23, I am doing a degree I hate and getting a job has proven difficult because I keep being told I don't have enough experience which by the admition of one of the better interveiwers I had means that they were unwilling to employ someone as young as me when they can get someone 10-15 years older than me who was just made redundant.

Plus 3 weeks ago I broke my leg. Other than that things are good.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009

Am I on the right path for school? Am I wasting my time for a degree in a career I'm not sure I'll like? Can I get through my last few years without going into massive debt? Will I have health insurance in a few years? Is my dad going to be okay because his house burned down? Can I sustain myself on my own when I move out this summer? Will my roommates work out?

Ok it's mostly school related but it's been a high subject.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
28. Worried that I've wasted my life, or at least the years where I should have done something. Graduated from college, but I didn't do anything while I was there. Didn't try different things, didn't do internships, didn't do anything that most college people seem to do. Didn't even find a girlfriend. I went to school, studied, passed all my classes, and when I graduated, I went, "Well...now what am I supposed to do?" I'm an English major, and I don't want to be a teacher, so...yeah. Worried about my life in general.
That, and the situation that is happening with Ukraine and Russia, and how the rest of the world did absolutely jack about it.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
I'm nineteen as of last week, and I'm currently stressed about the fact that I have no idea what the fuck I want to do with my life. I spent most of my life during high school with a concrete plan- go to a local college that I know has a good English program, get a teaching degree, become an English teacher wherever the hell I want to go (I've been repeatedly told that, for some odd and probably stupid reason, Pennsylvania has a reputation for high educational standards and teachers who were educated here are highly sought-after. I personally think that my own teachers were just stroking their egos when they told me that, because my school's standards were absolutely shit- but I digress.)

Last year, though, a whole confluence of really bad shit happened all at once, and as a result I did some soul-searching and decided that teaching would be a terrible career for me. Problem is, I don't know what else I'm capable of- I'd planned on this career for years, and I can't conceive of doing much else. So, rather than doing what any thinking person in my position would do, i.e. get myself into any generally-decent college and major in Undecided until I get my shit together, I've been sitting at home fiddling with my résumé and second-guessing all of my life choices for the past year.

So that sucks.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
19 (almost 20), worried that I won't make it through the first year of my physics course and will have to repeat it, putting myself even further into debt. The worst part is I'm definitely capable, but my poor organisational skills, tendency to procrastinate and wildly fluctuating attention span are hindering me. Every time I make some progress in fixing my poor habits and traits I end up getting complacent and backslide. My attempts at balancing the various aspects of my life are just a series of massive over-corrections, for some reason I can't find a happy medium.

Second most, I'm worried that WW3 is gonna kick off.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
25 next month, currently worried about the Crimean crisis.

tons of things can spew from it and it seems no one is particularly concerned about it, namely our own politicians.

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
I'm currently 20 years old, almost through with my second year of university as an English student. I have my career pretty much planned out; I'm currently learning Japanese and gathering experience in teaching in order to become a teacher of English as a foreign language in Japan. The reason for this, however, is that I want to become a manga artist. However, my main concern is in regards to that final part of my plan; it takes a lot of skill, speed, determination and quality to partake in that kind of career, and I'm concerned that, no matter how hard I try, I may never be good enough to achieve my goals.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Country
United States
I am 28.

And I'm concerned about a lot of things as of late. Considering I'm going back to school, and moving on to graduate school in the fall I'm wondering if I'm even doing the right thing. I've been doing a lot of life changing things and I'm worried that it will all go to shit, but I'm thinking that those fears are unjustified since things have been going smoothly. Then there are the concerns afterwards and wondering if I can get the job I want to get afterwards. I'm not making a major career change, but still.

There's also a bunch of little things that are there needling me in the back of my mind that I'm not gonna bore you people with.

Iwantstuff

Jun 20, 2013
22, almost 23, and honestly my parents. Both of them are in pretty bad health and my Dad can't work anymore, so about a year ago I moved back in to help.

I don't even have an Associates degree yet (almost done, just didn't quite get the opportunity to finish) but frankly I'm not worried about college at all. I've moved around too much in the past four years to have had much opportunity. Right now it's just get a stable job (which I was just hired, so WOOHOO) and get out on my own after the parents have stabilized and start school back up.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
Eamar said:
My other major concern is my health. I have bipolar disorder, and it's been playing up in a big way these last few months. I'm worried I'll never be properly stable, I'm worried about what employers will think and when/if I should disclose it, I'm worried about how it might count against me in some future situations - getting certain jobs, moving abroad etc.
Pretty much the same here, only it's schizophrenia.

I'm planing to go back to college next year and if I look back at the grades I had, I shouldn't worry about it. But I do. Whenever I feel like I've been okay for a week, the next week I'm really unstable and psychotic, being academically involved in these moments are pretty much impossible.

The question now is, even if I get a degree, finding a job with such a label is extremely difficult, insurance interview being the main issue. I could lie and say I don't have a condition but that means in times of crisis, my case won't be covered. In a way, I don't have much choice to tell about my condition which is extremely frustrating even discouraging at times.

We'll just have to live and pray everything will be okay.

Edit: Oh I forgot, I'm 21

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Im 37 and god do i feel old compared to the people on this thread. My life took a down turn in 2010, was made redundant from Metropolitan police in London. Since then just been doing courses and temp work, been volunteering for 9 months as an accountant. Just looking for a permanent job so I can get my life moving forward instead of being frozen for 4 years.

All you young people, which seems to be everyone on this thread, time is nothing, dont waste a single year. Always look to the future whether a new job or extra education. If anything, get all your education while your in your early 20's. Because when you make mistakes or take life for granted, thats when you regret everything you didnt do.

pvaglueman123

Aug 6, 2009
i'm 18, coming on 19 in about 3 months (Wow, that's scary to think about D:)

Currently most concerned in getting through this Games Design Course without failing. Failure's my biggest vice. doesn't help i'm my own biggest critic either

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
midish 30's
currently staring at the huge stack of cash i have accumulated from working like a dog all my life and worried however i use it, whether investing it to make a larger stack or blowing it on cool shit i have deprived myself of in the name of responsibility it may not ever make me happy.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
21. Job. I've got no real support net, and what little I have won't be there once I come out, so I want a job so I can save enough to go off on my relative lonesome and detached from my biological family (who are a miserable bunch that I wish not to associate with anyways).

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I'm 20. Worried about getting a job (interview tomorrow) and keeping it long enough to save enough cash for hobbies, a car, and enough cash to pay for a couple months of rent for my own place.

I'm also worrying about whether I'll ever finish a piece of writing without being so nervous about criticism over it that I toss out 200+ pages for the 9th time in my life.

Everyone around my age seems to be either in some sort of college or further education, or graduating from it. I didn't get around to doing that myself because I was afraid I wouldn't have the patience. I barely made it through high school without getting fed up with all the absolute, inexcusable bullshit. Not sure if I could go another round of that, even if the people this time around would be "older".

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
23 and currently starting up my own game development studio, we've released a game and working on a bigger project, but it's not easy to sell your shit if your not Notch or spinning on nostalgia. But more or less I don't have any confidence in anything I do as time wares on, even when it starts bleeding into abilities that I used to be brimming with confidence in.

More or less I'm not earning anything, I don't feel like a functioning adult, everything I've invested my life doing feels for naught and my wildest hopes and aspirations feel like unaccomplishable dreams.

So I can't complain.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
pvaglueman123 said:
i'm 18, coming on 19 in about 3 months (Wow, that's scary to think about D:)

Currently most concerned in getting through this Games Design Course without failing. Failure's my biggest vice. doesn't help i'm my own biggest critic either
19, your young and have other options if things change. If game design is what you want to do....go for it. Dont let anything in your life hold you back. Better wasting a few years studying, working hard (no partying) and getting to where you want to be than being 29 and regretting the previous 10 years. My brother is 16 and i say the same thing to him, he wants to get into computing, I saw work your arse off because 10 years goes really quick. I made the wrong choice when i was your age and i regret it. Good luck and maybe i will get to play your game in a few years. :)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
lechat said:
midish 30's
currently staring at the huge stack of cash i have accumulated from working like a dog all my life and worried however i use it, whether investing it to make a larger stack or blowing it on cool shit i have deprived myself of in the name of responsibility it may not ever make me happy.
So is that 30 ish older than 37? Im opposite of you, have zero money and volunteering in the hope it leads to a perm job. Sounds like you worked hard for your money, i would say blow half of it (or less), save the rest. Never know what the future holds. Life is meant to be fun, though not at the expense of your future.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Concerned with Graduation, finding a Job post graduating from college, which is hard since I have been taking classes more geared towards things involved with game design when choices were available and most job offering the school's career interview setup/help service seem to be geared elsewhere, and I don't currently have any outside of class projects to really impress much on a resume.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
19 years old here. At the moment I'm most concerned with the fact that I have to keep a certain GPA to keep my college scholarship. My first semester of college last year was kind of rough, but I still managed a 3.3 somehow, which was enough to not put me on any sort of academic probation with the university.

I was certainly happy I was able to keep my GPA at that level, but it's still kind of an issue at this point since there are a few classes I'm taking now that I'm definitely not sure about grade-wise.

I am thinking about internships as a journalism major, but since I'm only a freshman, I do have a little while on that front.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
19, basically. College student, like many in this topic, aaand... yeah, concerned about my future career (Or lack thereof) at the moment. I've basically got no idea what I'm gonna do, so I'm in Undecided, but because I've already gotten all my core credits out the way, I have to choose a Major by the end of the semester, or I'll just be languishing in school, taking classes I probably won't need as I try to find something that suits me.

Alright, well, I know what I want to do, but there's the question of "Is that obtainable?" and if it's not, then "What will you do if you fail?" Basically, I want to be a writer, for basically anything. Scripts, novels, comics. But, that's not exactly a stable career, much less one I want to waste time and money getting a college degree for, only to end up a fry cook or a teacher. Worse still, the support group that kept my going with my writing is gone, so I've been feeling rather... distant from my usual creativity, without them to keep my spirits up and to bounce ideas off of, so I'm in a bit of a rut with my writing, too. I've been toying with investigating other forms of entertainment - animation, film, game design - but I'm not sure I'm qualified for any of those fields, or that I'll enjoy them, or that I'll be able to acquire the necessary skills in time so that I don't get left behind, capability-wise.

All I know is I want a career with a great creative outlet, but unfortunately, those are some of the most competitive and unstable. So I'm kind of drifting, hoping for some sort of divine inspiration.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Apr 29, 2020
29, and mostly worried about a few health issues. I have inflamed mucosal lining in my large intestine which is bad enough, but I also have sciatica(compressed/irritated nerve) around the same area and the two combined often makes me writhing in pain. It's pretty much a chronic condition but when it flares it's particularly bad(I'm pretty much bound to a bathroom then). I always try and stay positive but I often wonder...if I have to live with this curse forever. Sometimes I'm also afraid if I'm misdiagnosed(though suffering from this condition for over 17 years and having seen various gastro-enterologists) and that this is a precursor to something much more serious. A terrifying thought I try not to think about too much.

However(more or less out of necessity) I started a company which over the years became a huge success. So I guess there's that. I also like to say that this condition doesn't hinder me with dating and such, but the truth is that it does. Chronic pain just kills the mood. It makes the 'good days' much more sweet though. :p

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
28. Worried that I've wasted my life, or at least the years where I should have done something. Graduated from college, but I didn't do anything while I was there. Didn't try different things, didn't do internships, didn't do anything that most college people seem to do. Didn't even find a girlfriend. I went to school, studied, passed all my classes, and when I graduated, I went, "Well...now what am I supposed to do?" I'm an English major, and I don't want to be a teacher, so...yeah. Worried about my life in general.
That, and the situation that is happening with Ukraine and Russia, and how the rest of the world did absolutely jack about it.
Ukraine and Russia will sort itself out. What about you? Your 28, you realise you wasted your life (i would say lived) either way now you can make a change. What do you want to do? What do you want to be? How do you get there? Life is never to short, you can redo it all now. Past is the past, look to the future.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Headsprouter said:
I'm 19, existential crisis all over the place. Scared of the future. Being lonely, being overcrowded, never being able to express myself, growing old. I feel so vain for placing self-expression on that list, but god, it just seems to matter to me so much, and it drives me insane seeing people with fantastic talents and a great life on top of them. I know it's really scummy, but...well, I don't really know how I can excuse it. It's not hatred, mind you it's just a sort of jealousy mixed with admiration that results in frustration thanks to my overall lack of self-worth.

Summation of my rambling: 19, concerned with life in general. Not going anywhere at the current rate, feeling broken for being unable(????) to do anything about it.
Kind of in this position. At least, the closest I've seen on here so far.

21 on the 21st of April.
My biggest concern is getting a license and a job. I don't care if it's gas station clerk, in fact, I might enjoy that. But I have an anxiety disorder and bipolar disorder and right now I'm going through the disillusion stage of life where your rose colored lens' are shattered. I live on my own, but taking the bus anywhere is scary to me.

Second biggest concern would be not being able to get married and keep a wife due to a size issue. It's basically next to useless, and in the long run I don't see that working out.

The most important thing I think I've learned so far is wisdom is mostly pain and philosophical thinking leads to suffering and wasted energy. But hopefully I can grab a summer job or at least my licence this year. I don't know what good it would do me, PLPD insurance would still be pretty high, and gas is 3.5-4 dollars a gallon so I couldn't handle a car without a job anyway.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009

Currently working on not worrying so much. Already spent a good deal of my life obsessing about school and people and love and self-image and every other stupid thing in the book. And it never gave me anything besides a bucketload of heartache and probably a slightly higher blood pressure. I'm done worrying. Slow process, but I'm getting there - after a few weeks I'm already way more relaxed and clear-headed than I've been in a long, long time.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
24 years old and I'm most concerned about the fact that I'll probably have to kill myself soon.
I'm not trying to attention whore, and I'm not suicidal, but I'm fucking 24 and have never worked a day in my life. Still live at home and while I'm not exactly a burden to my mom I feel beyond pathetic.
Applied for tons of jobs, but only had three interviews so far. Two turned me down, one is still undecided, and they always get stuck up on the fact that I haven't worked before. Had to cure myself of social phobia, get my drivers license and get back into shape from four years of sitting on my ass before I could start looking for work. It took way longer than expected.

Even if I had experience it would be close to impossible. At the moment the work market is extremely competative. If there is a job they tend to have insane demands because of this. Tried looking for simple shit like forest clearer(like lumber jacks, but for sissies I guess) and you needed a college education in forest care(WTF?!) and a fucking license to use a wood cutter... as well as experience of course.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
21, and most concerned about finishing uni in a little over a month. have my dissertation to finish, and my one and only exam two weeks after the deadline. i have very little free time, and it's starting to get to me now. to make matters worse, my nans 80th is the weekend before the dissertation deadline, so i have even less time for that.

on the upside, i go on holiday the day after my exam, so for the foreseeable future, i'll soon be done with education after 17-18 years of it...

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
21 Years of age and my concern, similar to yours, is being able to graduate and get a stable career. I've been going to Tech for Chemical Engineering for a while now, I'm into my fourth year and will be graduating next year. However I've yet to get any co-ops and they're kind of expected on my resume to even get the interview. What's more I as well need to worry about a certification test, although I don't have nearly as limited attempts as you do.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm 21. I've just graduated from uni and have a part time 12 month contracted job. Reasonably terrified of where to go once my role has finished. So basically I'm most concerned about getting a career and job that I'm comfortable in.

Lunatic High

Apr 14, 2012
27. Currently concerned that I'll never have my independence back I feel I've been too trusting of my family and co workers and as such am still currently a live in with one of my siblings I understand that family is important but I'm just tired of pretending that I'm just like them when I know for certain I'm not I haven't been able to look any of them in the eye for months and I don't know why, but I know I'm being taken advantage of. They never question me on anything I decide for myself but are more than willing to forcefully suggest what they'd do and it makes me sick. Even gaming and my usual routines aren't enough of a distraction to shake this feeling, guilt or shame I dunno can't remember the last time I've felt either. This is pathetic and I was doing so well too, maybe its just the seasons change.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
DanielBrown said:
24 years old and I'm most concerned about the fact that I'll probably have to kill myself soon.
I'm not trying to attention whore, and I'm not suicidal, but I'm fucking 24 and have never worked a day in my life. Still live at home and while I'm not exactly a burden to my mom I feel beyond pathetic.
Applied for tons of jobs, but only had three interviews so far. Two turned me down, one is still undecided, and they always get stuck up on the fact that I haven't worked before. Had to cure myself of social phobia, get my drivers license and get back into shape from four years of sitting on my ass before I could start looking for work. It took way longer than expected.

Even if I had experience it would be close to impossible. At the moment the work market is extremely competative. If there is a job they tend to have insane demands because of this. Tried looking for simple shit like forest clearer(like lumber jacks, but for sissies I guess) and you needed a college education in forest care(WTF?!) and a fucking license to use a wood cutter... as well as experience of course.
^I'm in the same boatas you, though I'm not really worried for some reason.

Lunatic High

Apr 14, 2012
Just because you feel behind is no excuse to be a coward ,trust me, you'll quickly change your mind halfway through and when people find out ,which of course they will you'll FEEL a thousand times worse for the experience and nobody will look at you the same way again. Just be steady, and start small ,customer service is a good beginning and if you feel shame at the fact you made yourself a gas jockey or whatever just endure it better yet use it as motivation, there is no shame in wanting to improve your current circumstances not everything good starts in a flash.

crap forgot this is in response to DanielBrown

James Rednok

Apr 16, 2009
I am nineteen years of age. Throw a dart at any of these:
http://derpicdn.net/img/view/2013/8/7/394129__twilight+sparkle_rainbow+dash_pinkie+pie_fluttershy_rarity_applejack_princess+luna_princess+celestia_comic_spike.png
(Minus the last two, of course)

kortin

Mar 18, 2011

Paying for college. Deciding between directly following my dream of making games or taking a side road that could lead to more stable financial situations, but could also lead to me never acquiring my dream.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
22, getting accepted for a phd. Passing my finals is a hurdle, but it's one largely in my control. Getting a phd is considerably more uncertain, and not getting one is gonna derail my life plan somewhat.

I mean, I'll live, I have other options open to me, but it'll make my favorite career/life path considerably harder to realize.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
26, right now the biggest issue is where I'll go for a lunch today. Still haven't decided on a restaurant.

Yes, I'll lose my job due to redundancy in fourty days, so I'll start being concerned about that in about ten. I have a few contingencies running, but there isn't much more I can do at the moment. And since I don't concern myself with things I have no control over, the big question returns to the spotlight - today's lunch.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
I'm 22.

You think? I'm 22 and only finished my 3rd semester just now, with 7 more to go IF I'd finish in the standard time.
But due to fucking up exams and changing my field of study I'm probably done once I'm 28 or something like that :|

Oh, what I'm currently worried about. Writing an essay(4500-6000 words) with some topic about grammar; which I have no clue about lol

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
Techno Squidgy said:
It won't, so that's one worry down.

Kalezian said:

tons of things can spew from it and it seems no one is particularly concerned about it, namely our own politicians.
Yep. If you live in Ukraine. Although I do think the relevant decision-makers seem adequately concerned about it.

ClockworkPenguin said:
22, getting accepted for a phd. Passing my finals is a hurdle, but it's one largely in my control. Getting a phd is considerably more uncertain, and not getting one is gonna derail my life plan somewhat.

I mean, I'll live, I have other options open to me, but it'll make my favorite career/life path considerably harder to realize.
I'll echo this, I suppose. I'm finishing a master's degree in political science in two months, and would like to continue with a phd afterwards. The Swedish system for phd education is a tad stupid, however, as it takes the form of an employment. This means each phd student costs the university a boatload of money, which in turn generates very, very few positions. The competition is razor-sharp as a result.

I've got pretty solid ground to stand on, having piled a series of temporary jobs at the university and at a local authority on top of one another for a good while now, and I seem to have a good chance of being able to continue doing so in the future. But not landing a phd studentship immediately after finishing my master's degree would feel like hitting the pause button for my life and development. As for the age-thing, I'm 23.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
As of today I'm 19, and this is probably a clichéd answer but my biggest concern right now is my future.
I have no idea whatsoever what I want to do as a career other than doing stuff with computers, and I have a fairly weak CV at the moment. I'm really procrastinating having to think about it but I've got the rents on my back to do something about it so I'm going to have to figure something out soon.

Other than that all is crackin'. Relatively speaking. Life's nice and easy at the moment.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I'm 21 and my biggest concern is my mental health. I have social phobia, which prevents me from getting work or engaging in any meaningful social life. It is something I'm working on though, and have gotten much better over the past year. But yeah, that would be it.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012

Dropped out of college and working part time while still living at home. Wondering if I can work through my emotional issues and earn a quick degree without getting totally left behind.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Nomad said:
Techno Squidgy said:
It won't, so that's one worry down.

Kalezian said:

Yep. If you live in Ukraine. Although I do think the relevant decision-makers seem adequately concerned about it.

ClockworkPenguin said:

I'll echo this, I suppose. I'm finishing a master's degree in political science in two months, and would like to continue with a phd afterwards. The Swedish system for phd education is a tad stupid, however, as it takes the form of an employment. This means each phd student costs the university a boatload of money, which in turn generates very, very few positions. The competition is razor-sharp as a result.

I've got pretty solid ground to stand on, having piled a series of temporary jobs at the university and at a local authority on top of one another for a good while now, and I seem to have a good chance of being able to continue doing so in the future. But not landing a phd studentship immediately after finishing my master's degree would feel like hitting the pause button for my life and development. As for the age-thing, I'm 23.
The phD situation is similar in the UK (unless you're super rich and can pay for it yourself). The most common funding method is through research councils, who give uni departments enough cash for x number of phd students.

So far, x has never been greater than 3, and is rarely as high as that. I had an interview today where they said there was quite a bit of choice of what sort of research you want to do (along the old triangle of simulation, result analysis and hands on "sawdust and soldering" work) , because they have far more projects they want to do than they have places for students to actually do them.

The interview I had before that I was told not too feel bad if I wasn't immediately given an offer, because the best candidates will get picked by several institutions and leave openings at the ones they reject. I think that interview might not have been very successful for me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm 26 and the simplest way to sum up my worries would be with the word 'money'.

I never went to college but am considering it but to do that I would need either a better job or a second job. I can't really do that quite yet do to surgery...which I had earlier today...and have 4 weeks to recover from...My current job is guaranteed and I'm approved for medical leave but that's only half of what I would usually get. Better than nothing and only a month of inactivity for me but that being said, I have medical bills to pay since my insurance is kind of screwing me over when it comes to this procedure (stupid deductible). On the plus side I don't see myself getting kicked out of my home but that fear is always going to be there anyway and I'm unsure when I'll be able to really contribute as well as I have to the home again. I'm not poor but I'm in absolutely no position to save up anything with barely any savings as it is keeping me from outright panic...stupid money...

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
"What's your age"

"and what are you currently most concerned about?"

the fact my doctor has started pro actively sending me letters...that and their new found interest in the workings of my arse...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
16 years old here and I'm most worried about upcoming musical performances. Despite this year having the biggest workload so far, I know I can handle it so it's less of a worry than it is something to just do. And of course there's finding a girlfriend and discovering who I am and all that kind of stuff.

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
I'm currently 21... and I'm concerned about finding a[nother] job as well as the possibility of disappointing my great grandmother before she reaches her [pending] death bed...

Then again, I try not to think too much about it... especially the latter...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'm 31 years old.

And my biggest concern is being a 31-year old virgin with no friends, no job, and no real ability to change my situation. I feel at this point it's gotten too late for me to get into the game anymore.

And I found a couple of white hairs on my head as well. *sigh*

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Twenty-two,

I just got rejected from my current university to do a PGCE here. It seems to not be enough that I'm on course for a 1st class honours and I already have real experience in teaching. So now I have to apply elsewhere and fast, assuming all the places in other universities aren't filled already. Even if I do get in anywhere else, the tuition is gonna be triple what I'd pay to stay here.

I got one of those reply slips to agree to be in their reserve list. I will of course fill it in and agree but it'd be so much more satisfying to write in block capitals "FUCK OFF" with a big fat marker, sign in and hand deliver it.

ViridianV6

Sep 15, 2013
22, and scared beyond belief at my life after university. While all my friends were joining clubs and actually doing shit to put on their resumes I was doing fuck all. Now when I'm applying for vacation work it's really hard to make my resume look good to a future employer.

Hopefully the recommendations my friends at the firms give me can carry me through, but it still keeps me up at night.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Just turned 20.

Biggest concern? The fact that I have spent the last 5 years of my life doing literally nothing. No college would ever take me, I have no experience in any job, and no practical hobby I could possibly turn into a career.

Reading this thread did not help my feelings on the matter.

TL;DR I'm fucked.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jul 7, 2020
Country
United States
I'm 24, I'll be 25 in May.

I'm currently concerned about where I want to go with my career, I have a relevant job to hold me over, but I don't want to be working this particular job for the rest of my life.

I'm also trying to improve my own artistic abilities, since I feel like I've dug myself into a little bit of a hole.

I'm also trying to be more social.
I would also like to get back into martial arts
I would also like to learn a second language.

---
I'm very concerned about my best friend, who is in a worse situation than I am in pretty much every aspect, he lives with me now after having a very traumatic childhood and I've been trying to keep his confidence up and help him recover the best I can.

---
I need a machine that stops time.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Finland
21 and concerned about getting an internship that suits me and my planned future career (director/writer/showrunner). It has to be in a French-speaking country too. I studied French for over eight years but haven't really used it outside school, and it *will* go to waste unless I brush it up.

Also a bit concerned about how my general laziness factors into everything, but I'm generally too lazy to care about that.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I'm 23.

Due to administrative difficulties, I was removed from university. So, I have decided to go and learn in China like I was always planning to.

So, waiting to see if the universities I've applied to will accept me. Also, will I be happy in China? I've lived there for a few months before, but this time, I will be moving there. Properly.

It'll take around 5 years for me to finish everything, which means I'll be 28 before I go onto the job market per-se. I'm lucky enough that I've got plenty of experience in various areas (translation, team leading, teaching, journalism) that I am able to kinda be okay on the job market proper, but there is a large pressure in China for a man for have made an achievement by the time he is 30.

Also, I have a girlfriend here who is wonderful and everything I have wanted and now we face the strange situation of the British bloke moving to China while the Chinese lass will stay in the UK for 4 more years, which we have agreed to try long distance for.

So nothing utterly terrible, but still a bit worrying.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
32 going 33, taken on too much work and trying to change career while being aware I have a house to renovate and a mortgage to pay while finding a way to re-train in a new field (which I need to narrow down from my list) without taking too much of an income drop either during training or after. In the scheme of things that could be a problem, these are not major issues. So that's good.

Also, I have a back ache.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
30. Leaving my well-paying government job in 7 weeks, then moving cross country with no job lined up. I'm doing things backwards.

What I'm most worried about, however, is the fact that my vet is worried about my cat making the trip. He's old and not in the best of health, but still active and happy. So I'm at a complete loss as to what to do and I worry about it constantly.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
17, and worried about mental health.
Broke down making a cuppa the other day, so something maybe going on...

also the rising price of freddos.
'Tis a scam I say!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I am 25 and I am currently trying to get a deposit together for a house. I am a serial mis-spender, and throw money away on things I later regret, and am now trying to rectify that. Unfortunately this means changing my lifestyle slightly, which also means I will be socialising in my traditional sense less, which finally means that I will have to work out a way of not dissapointing my friends (who I both live and work with) without alienating myself from them...

In this mix as well I am also aware that I am of an age where I may end up meeting someone to settle down with. This is a factor that I need to consider factoring contingency plans for, however have little experience in what scenarios I should be aware of. Something that is playing a big role in my outlook and planning.

I finally have a lot of pressures from my job. I have subordinates that need to be kept focussed, I have a lot of time being sent away for weeks at a time coming up (traveling stresses me at the best of times) and I have objectives that have been set for me that I need to accomplish in order to ensure my next posting is decent and that I get promoted in line with when I should. Unfortunately some of these involve getting involved with things that will further push me beyond my comfort zone, and will take a lot of my spare time. I need to be involved with a club outside of work, and organise some type of event for that, and I also need to organise an office force development day (read: day out) which within military confinements is a lot harder than it sounds... There is a lot of paperwork involved, and a lot of extra bullshit behind the scenes that would need to be done around my normal job (which is busy) to do!
Then again, my capacity can take this extra work... but things I enjoy doing, like gaming, will have to take a back burner again, which always irks me eventually.

Phew... Glad I got that off the chest! Things always seem more simple when you get it all out there and explain it!

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
29, and it depends whether short-term or long term. Short term, the lady is desperately sick - on medical leave for the whole semester - and I can't do anything about it, but it's stressful all the same. Long term, I'm trying to figure out whether to go back to school for a Masters (when I already have a fine job) or move to a new city and try something completely new.

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
Getting the score needed from my last year of high-school to get into my specific course is what i'm most worried about at the moment.

From what I've seen, education seems to be all of our problems.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
26 here and my biggest concern is my mental health issues and if I ever will be able to get my life together.

I've never had a job, I have ridiculously good grades from working my ass (and mental health) off in school but that doesn't do me any good in the position I'm in now.
I'm being a parasite borrowing money from my mom to pay my bills.
My self-esteem is really crappy.
AND I must soon apply with a crappy portfolio, far from good enough, to get me into a program that might lead to me actually getting a job that I can stand doing so that I can finally make some money and be able to stop worrying and start living. That is if my mental issues will ever let me do any of those things.
I'm also worried about my health.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
GodofTheForge said:
Headsprouter said:

^pretty much this to a T.

I'm 18, going on 19 (though I was born less than a week from the end of '95 so at this point it's interchangeable with recently turned 18). The existential crises kinda come in irregular spurts and I generally just distract myself to stop thinking about it (since nothing really comes from dwelling on it). The future is scary, because I don't know what I want to do, I don't know what I CAN do, and so many people I talk to (adults mostly, because teenagers suck) have such high expectations of me I feel like there's no way I can live up to them if I get any less than a Nobel Prize for some technology which all but solves a major problem of my choosing. I've been lonely as of late. I had friends at my old high-school, but since I switched to a different school (And 2 moved out of state) I've lost contact with the lot of them and haven't really made any new ones. The hobby store I frequented announced their closing out of nowhere on wednesday, so it's significantly less likely I'll ever be able to interact with the people I've met there again (the age gap is a bit of an inhibitor to friendship when the youngest party (me) are still high-school students). I'd explain my family's financial situation, though it really IS a long story. If/when it gets resolved though they might write a book tentatively titled "Godot showed up, and why he took so fucking long", detailing the assorted absurd situations over the almost 5 year (so far) ordeal which, as the title implies, caused it to take much longer than necessary.

Especially with the closing of the local hobby store I fear I'll wind up nothing more than a forum troll waiting for things to happen, as that was the only reliable outlet for social expression and a place to enjoy and improve my painting skills for my collection of minis (because I'm crap at free-hand and I've not got the resources to buy the needed materials for just about any other kind of art). Right now I'm just passing by through school, just doing as little as I can to not fail, waiting to move on to college where I can at the very least take some damn control of my life, because I feel like there's not a goddamn thing I can do right now.

Of course thanks to therapy and a bit of medication I've become more comfortable with my situation (still not certain how we could afford it but I'm not complaining). In a couple of small was I do have at least a bit more control in my life as of late. It's awkward to get started on a new good habit or an effort to learn something new, or even just get out there to do SOMETHING, but I'll tell you right now the difference between "I've got nothing to offer the world, no talents, and no skills of any worth" and "I'm learning how to do something new and interesting, even if I'm mediocre right now" is MASSIVE. In a good way.

And yes that last paragraph does contradict those prior to some degree, but I bounce in and out of depression/existential crises. Not bi-polar, but it swings. I still stand by what I said in that last paragraph though.

Or maybe that's just youthful naïveté speaking. Haven't lived long enough to tell the difference. Still a hell of a lot better than self-pity though. And it feels nice to pour your thoughts/feelings out there under the illusion someone is listening. (OH! now I get why social media is so popular!)

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
By God, you all sound so responsible worrying about school or work :p Not that college isn't a worry for me, i'm starting a course next year and it's weird to suddenly have ambition after a lifetime of being confused (also I probably should have spent the last three hours E-mailing people and important stuff but whatever).
But mostly i'm worried about my social life, over the last few months I think i've managed to fuck up most of the friendships I had and i'm only just starting to realise that now, I should probably be working on making new friends but i'm not entirely sure how I did that in the first place and also i'm pretty lazy and i'm the type to complain about it but then not actually do anything, i'm worried that when I start college next year I won't talk to anyone and i'll just be the weird lonely kid all over again and also i'm really dreading the coming Summer because it's alright to not be doing much when all your friends are in school but I don't want to spend three months cooped up in the house wishing things were like they were a year ago *sigh* thanks for the space to rant, it was very therapeutic :p
Oh and i'm 17 if the teenage angst didn't tip you off ;)

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012

Mostly worried about what to do when I get out of the Army next year.

Getting a job shouldn't be too much of a problem(have most of my tech certs and my fiber splicing training), it's just a matter of getting one where I want(preferably somewhere in GA or FL) and at a decent enough salary.

Oct 10, 2011
17, soon to be 18. I'm worried most about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life.

I feel that I would be content with most any living conditions, but I'm probably going to a community college. I also would like to cut all ties with my family when I graduate high school, but I know how much that would hurt them. I just don't know what I'm going to do.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
ClockworkPenguin said:
The phD situation is similar in the UK (unless you're super rich and can pay for it yourself). The most common funding method is through research councils, who give uni departments enough cash for x number of phd students.

So far, x has never been greater than 3, and is rarely as high as that. I had an interview today where they said there was quite a bit of choice of what sort of research you want to do (along the old triangle of simulation, result analysis and hands on "sawdust and soldering" work) , because they have far more projects they want to do than they have places for students to actually do them.

The interview I had before that I was told not too feel bad if I wasn't immediately given an offer, because the best candidates will get picked by several institutions and leave openings at the ones they reject. I think that interview might not have been very successful for me.
Still, you've had interviews at least, which must mean you've got a decent shot. The application period only ran out two weeks ago for the positions I applied to, so they haven't quite gotten to that point yet. I know one of the positions had 113 applicants though, so I think I can consider myself lucky if they notice my application at all.

I actually considered applying for a phd studentship at Loughborough University in the UK, but I only found out about the position a few days before the application period ran out, so I couldn't manage to scrape together enough time to make a decent application.

username sucks said:
17, soon to be 18. I'm worried most about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life.

I feel that I would be content with most any living conditions, but I'm probably going to a community college. I also would like to cut all ties with my family when I graduate high school, but I know how much that would hurt them. I just don't know what I'm going to do.
Out of curiosity, if your relationship with your family is at a point where you want to cut all ties with them, how come you care so much about hurting them?

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I'm 23.

My primary concern right now is moving out, but that ties in very closely with another of my concerns - dating.

In an ideal world, I'd like to settle down with someone and be able to move in with them - it's much more appealing to me than moving into a house occupied by people I don't know and who are unlikely to be respectful of my weird and wonderful working hours. (The exception, of course, would be if I ended up living in a household with dedicated night shift workers - but then the household environment would be a different kettle of fish entirely).

I simply can't afford to move out on my own, and my parents are nice enough to allow me to stay in the family home rent-free, so busting my wallet just for a bit of extra freedom seems like a dumb idea just for the sake of moving out. It would most likely be much more doable if I didn't have a car to pay for, but then I wouldn't have a job, so I'd be in the same position regardless.

I'm sure something will come up, I just have to be patient.

Oct 10, 2011
Nomad said:
username sucks said:

Out of curiosity, if your relationship with your family is at a point where you want to cut all ties with them, how come you care so much about hurting them?
I don't want to hurt anyone. Most of my family is filled with absolutely horrible people, but I know that they do care about me, even if its for the wrong reasons. They are also under the illusion that I care about them simply because of the value of family. I just... Don't want to cause more pain than I need to.

Jan 27, 2011
25. Gonna be 26 in May.

I'm freaked about my future. This freakin bachelors degree in compsci is taking me forever. Not to mention that my option (computer games) requires me to do this piece of shit graphics course where we're basically thrown to the wolves with no help. -_- It's literally just "here's a few formulas I'll show you for a minute, you should already know what they are and how to code them even though we haven't shown you. Now I'll show you examples of completed 3D graphics for 10 minutes. Now more formulas with no explanations! Now go code this yourself even though we haven't shown you SHIT!"

I REALLY want to finish this [email protected]#$ing degree, get a goddamn job, and get my own damn place. I mean, there are so many things I wanna do, that I can't do while living with my parents.

Above all, I'm worried I'll never get it done and somehow end up on the street starving to death, or working menial labour my entire life while being a burden on everyone forever. ;_;

It doesn't help that the ONE thing I thought I had figured out (my relationship) turned out to not be working out, and suddenly going from having a girlfriend I loved to being single was a massive blow to me.

So yeah, I'm worried that my future is either going to be shit, or nonexistant. The thought often results in me curled up in the shower in the fetal position trying only to think of the nice hot water. :(

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
UK
16, 17 in under a month.

I have my exams coming up, starting in May, but I am more concerned about what I am going to do after that. Whether I should stick on for my second year and do my A2 exams, or drop out and look for an apprenticeship. I'm not enjoying school right now, and I am definitely not doing very well, I guess that both of those things come hand-in-hand, but I don't really know what I would want to do if I left. The next few months are going to be very stressful for me as I will be deciding the next year or so of my life, but at least I don't have any family issues or failing relationships that are stacking onto my plate, so I can always be thankful for that.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Age 22 here, I have a bachelors double honour degree in english and sociology and my biggest concern is getting a job. It's been nearly 3 years since I left university and still nothing. Because I don't have a job I have no money. I'm still waiting to hear back for an interview for jobseekers allowance, but until then I have no money. Also I haven't eaten in nearly 2 days because the last of my money had to go on an ebay problem. I wish I could make something out of nothing but all I have is very out of date potatos :/ I keep going to the freezer with some hope that something might have changed and maybe randomly food will appear. I'm so hungry.

Laxer

Consensus has been reached
Feb 17, 2010

I work in the armed forces and my knee has been acting up lately, throbbing and hurting after marches and runs. It came suddenly and unexpected. It might be the beginning of the end in this specific military career, if I can't stop it from worsening I have to drive my body in a lower gear.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
I'm 18 and my biggest concern is my depression and trying not to alienate my friends. I broke down just a couple of days ago because I felt so down and depressed. The worst part about it is that I can't even figure out why, it all makes my head hurt, I've been losing sleep at night due to it. However, I just don't want it to affect my friendships, which is really hard. The worst part is that one of my friends is on the verge of hating me, and I can't even bring myself up enough to fix it.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
29 years old

I worry about where my life is going, I've worked ever since I turned 16, got decent marks in my exams, went to University got a degree in physiology, but what the hell was it all for? I had to take jobs in customer service to pay for it, got made redundant from the solicitors firm I was working for last year (I was only there for about a year but I really enjoyed it). I've been temping ever since but now I've got no new contracts. Every job I want needs experience and I cant afford to volunteer to get it. I want to move out from my mums house and get a place of my own but I just can't see how I could afford it and I'm scared that she wouldn't be able to manage financially if I wasn't there to contribute i feel trapped. I'm quite terrified about still living at home with my mum when I'm thirty, I'll never get a girlfriend if I'm a 30 year old living at home, no woman wants to hear 'I had a lovely time tonight, want to come back to mine for a drink? We have to be quiet though my mum is upstairs in bed' so I'll probably end up dying sad and alone. Aw shit that's a depressing thought :eek:/

[br] Ah that's a better...d'aww look at the lanky bastard go!

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
33 here, and... well, it all boils down to money in the long run, but the most immediate concern is work.

Specifically, the fact that the work I'm currently doing (customer services for a high street electronics retailer) is clearly not going to enable me to push on with the Next Phase of my life - coupled with the fact that the economy is so screwed right now that I'm more concerned about clinging on to the job I do have than managing to find another one. I want to move out - from the extended family I currently live with, from the city I live in, with a girl (should I ever decide that bullet's worth biting again), whatever. I want to learn to drive. I want, in the long term, to own my own place rather than being stuck eternally renting.

But none of that is feasible given my current employment, and some bad decisions in my past have rendered progress nigh-impossible.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
20. Turning 21 in a couple of months.

I'm currently looking to go to college. I've been wanting to becoming a writer, or at least learn more about screenwriting. In the mean time I'm working on my writing skills by writing reviews and coming up with a few stories, even a few fanfics. I've also been thinking of getting out more, after being cooped up in my house for a few years, and doing something with my life, maybe find a job, make more friends, and someone to love.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014

Being worth a damn by my 30s, in general.
I've dropped out of uni have a part-time job (which I like) and live with my parents - which I don't mind so much.

I'm not really all that self reliant as a man and I 've lost much motivation to further myself over the years. I don't hate or dislike where I am but I know I won't last like this.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
21 going on 22, and it's a combination of looking for work after college (hopefully some place that will let me go back to get a master's) and the looming prospect of paying off my student loan debt.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm in my mid-20s and I'm most worried about holding down a full-time job.

There have been many opportunities that have come my way in terms of having a part-time job, but for some reason, when I show interest in a full-time position, the employers are to be very weary of me. I just want a sense of job security and progression; what's so wrong with that?

The other thing that I'm concerned about is this whole war against the Mexican cartels deal that is quickly spiraling out of control. Residents taking arms, cartels getting more violent and straight up satanical, the government corrupted by greed and power, and these conflicts spilling over rather peaceful or neutral states and cities. I'm starting to be fearful for the family that I still have down there and I don't understand why any of my family members still want to go back down there with all the chaos that is ensuing.

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
15 year old, trying to earn money to buy me a copy of SAO:Hollow fragment by translating for 5 bucks, it's not going very well but eh I'm patient.

Now seriously, finding a college, scholarship, and getting the fuck out of my country as soon as I can.

Also: I'm surprised everyone is in his 20-30s, but I got used to it since WoW.

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
Malty Milk Whistle said:
17, and worried about mental health.
Broke down making a cuppa the other day, so something maybe going on...

also the rising price of freddos.
'Tis a scam I say!
Damn straight it's a scam! And I remember when the Beano only cost 30p! It's like, £1.50 now or something! D:
-----
Anyhoo, I'm 18 (yes, I know my profile pic is Treguard, but Knightmare's got a slight cult status amongst the nerdier sectors of my school), and I'm primarily worried about my A-levels, especially after flunking out and having to repeat the year 12 due to stress-related depression. :D I'm also worried about the future in general-what will I do, where will I go, will I do anything worthwhile with my life, and do I actually want to. That and a whole bunch of other anxieties, primarily related to my crippling and consuming fear of my own mortality, and my phobia of sex generally pushing me away from having closer relationships to anyone.
And at the same time, I'm kinda interested to see if a girl I have suspicions may like me, actually likes me. Because generally, that opens a whole byzantine series of interesting complications.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Yo, nineteen year old here.

I'm mostly worried about when immortality will become a thing. Whether it be digital, mechanical, or even biological immortality. As long as it's my own consciousness, never just a copy made to be like me, and It's safe, I'd be fine with it.

And full virtual reality. Full virtual reality would be awesome.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I'm 23 and I worry about

Getting full time work, this has been MUCH more difficult than I had anticipated. I worry about not being able to pay my bills after having left my secondary part time job in book keeping (left because I had serious ethical issues with how the place did business); at least I still have my Wal-Mart cashier job (yay :'( )

My investments, they're pretty healthy at the moment but there's always that little voice in the back of my head screaming "SELL SELL SELL"

My romantic life, made some poor decisions lately which I'd rather not discuss here >.......>

There's also a little anxiety that WW3 might be on the horizon, but that might just be me being paranoid.

Sep 13, 2009
22 here, and, as common of an issue as it is, I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to get a job I enjoy with my degree. I'm taking computer science and enjoying it a lot, but I know almost nothing about what the job market is like in it. For all I know I could be coming out of it with no job, or just something where I'm mindlessly coding stuff that I could have written in my first year of university. All in all I'm pretty worried about finishing school in general, and having to look for a real job.

I guess a more pressing issue would be finding a job to pay for school next year. Every summer I try to look for a consistent paying job, but it never pans out. I'm just awful at finding jobs. I can't sell myself up, I feel like whatever job I'm applying for there will be many far more qualified applicants, and I don't have the slightest idea of where to apply to. As well, I'm pretty sure my resume is crap since I've never gotten a job interview from it (although admittedly I haven't exactly applied to that many jobs either).

aegix drakan said:
25. Gonna be 26 in May.

I'm freaked about my future. This freakin bachelors degree in compsci is taking me forever. Not to mention that my option (computer games) requires me to do this piece of shit graphics course where we're basically thrown to the wolves with no help. -_- It's literally just "here's a few formulas I'll show you for a minute, you should already know what they are and how to code them even though we haven't shown you. Now I'll show you examples of completed 3D graphics for 10 minutes. Now more formulas with no explanations! Now go code this yourself even though we haven't shown you SHIT!"
Not sure what your computer graphics course is about, but I'm in the middle of an introduction to computer graphics course right now with a really good professor and feel pretty on top of things in it at the moment. So far we've done some opengl model viewing stuff, texturing, shadows/phong shading and ray tracing. I can't promise that I'd be any help, but if there's anything within that realm that is giving you trouble feel free to PM me to ask. So far about 50% of my class has failed or dropped out (Which I've heard is the norm), so even with a good professor this course gives people a lot of trouble

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
24 here, turning 25 in May.

Like many posters in this thread I too worry about my education. I'm finishing my masters in Japanese and will soon finish another bachelors in Pedagogy. I'm worried about whether or not I should start working or do a masters in pedagogy or go for a PHD program. I really want to work with education (policies, etc), but I worry that the field is almost impenetrable to someone who hasn't already worked many years as a teacher and/or has a ton of connections.

Padwolf said:
Age 22 here, I have a bachelors double honour degree in english and sociology and my biggest concern is getting a job. It's been nearly 3 years since I left university and still nothing. Because I don't have a job I have no money. I'm still waiting to hear back for an interview for jobseekers allowance, but until then I have no money. Also I haven't eaten in nearly 2 days because the last of my money had to go on an ebay problem. I wish I could make something out of nothing but all I have is very out of date potatos :/ I keep going to the freezer with some hope that something might have changed and maybe randomly food will appear. I'm so hungry.
If you live in Oslo I'll gladly treat you to dinner.

No one should starve D:

Casual Shinji said:
I'm 31 years old.

And my biggest concern is being a 31-year old virgin with no friends, no job, and no real ability to change my situation. I feel at this point it's gotten too late for me to get into the game anymore.

And I found a couple of white hairs on my head as well. *sigh*
It's never too late to get back in the game. The virgin thing isn't something to worry too much about. It's just the first time, and after that it's done with. You'd also be amazed at how many girls stay virgins into their late 20s/early 30s.

If you have no confidence then don't go to bars, but other places where you can meet equal-minded people. Online dating's also a thing but I have no experience with that. And that being said, it's always an opportunity to get drunk in a club and then try to get with someone who's equally drunk. Not necessarily a good solution, but an effective one

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
softclocks said:
I really want to work with education (policies, etc), but I worry that the field is almost impenetrable to someone who hasn't already worked many years as a teacher and/or has a ton of connections.
I wouldn't know about Norway (where I assume you live, since you mention Oslo), but I do know about Sweden - and I suspect there's not much of a difference. I can say from first-hand experience that you can get into the field just fine without a teaching background. As I mentioned previously in the thread, I'm working on the last months of my master's degree in political science, with no training or experience in teaching. Yet I've been working with educational issues for about a year now, primarily with competence development and resourcing for teaching occupations, on both the local and national levels.

My suggestion would be to take advantage of your connection with the pedagogical institution of your university and check with them if they have any jobs they need doing. Universities get hired by the authorities to evaluate and investigate various issues all the time, and they rarely have enough manpower to take on all the requests they get. There's a good chance your institution is involved with several research projects relating to educational policy that you could get in on as a project assistant or similar. A not-quite-finished bachelor's degree in the field may not be quite enough to get you there, though, but that would probably depend on what the work entails.

In the long term, yes - a phd program would most definitely help (particularly in pedagogy), precisely because of the reason mentioned above. Pick a thesis subject relating to policy, attach yourself to relevant research groups, and you're basically set. After getting your phd, you could either stay in Academia doing research on the topic, get an actual employment with the national authority of education or something, or start a business working with evaluation and the like.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008

My main worry is what I want to do with my life. I'm not sticking at my current job forever because it's just there to get money in but I don't know what my calling in life is and I worry.
The things I enjoy and are good t, I can't find a job in or they'll pay very little.
I've always thought uni was pointless and I doubt that will change. I wouldn't mind studying something though.

The other worry is moving out and if it works this time. I've moved 5 times in the past 7 years. I've moved away from home and back twice because of certain circumstances. I want to move and to settle down for good this time. I'm waiting on my boyfriend getting a job so we can get our own place soon. I'm in no rush because it gives me more time to save but I'm getting really sick of being at home :/

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I'm 22

Currently, I'm concerned with finishing college and getting a job in game journalism, and I want to get out of my parents place so I can live on my own.
I'm also looking for ways to help with my concentration problems and If I wonder if I should go to grade school and look for alternatives if the game journalism career doesn't work out.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
EeveeElectro said:
I've always thought uni was pointless and I doubt that will change. I wouldn't mind studying something though.
What is it that you find pointless about going to the university, if you aren't opposed to the idea of studying?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
softclocks said:
snippidy snip snips
Thank you for your kindness, it really did make me smile :) I live in the UK though! D: Hopefully finally getting a meal tonight. Hopefully!

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Nomad said:
EeveeElectro said:
What is it that you find pointless about going to the university, if you aren't opposed to the idea of studying?
It's not studying I'm opposed to as such, it's the cost of uni and the lifestyle of that comes with it. I don't want to pay up to £30,000 for a course which doesn't guarantee me a job. I don't like the idea of going out every night and getting "blazed with me mates" with a student loan either.

I haven't got a thing against people who do that but it's not the path I want to choose and it never will be. I would more likely take a college course when I live with my boyfriend.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
EeveeElectro said:
It's not studying I'm opposed to as such, it's the cost of uni and the lifestyle of that comes with it. I don't want to pay up to £30,000 for a course which doesn't guarantee me a job. I don't like the idea of going out every night and getting "blazed with me mates" with a student loan either.

I haven't got a thing against people who do that but it's not the path I want to choose and it never will be. I would more likely take a college course when I live with my boyfriend.
Ugh, yes, tuition fees are abhorrent. I forgot that the UK has those. I wouldn't say the second part is an argument against studying, though, since that's entirely optional. The lifestyle you describe doesn't hold much allure for me either, hence I haven't taken part in it.

As for employment, I consider it less a matter of getting "a job" and more a matter of getting "the right job". Depending on your interests, that can be hard to manage even with a degree, but be impossible without one.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011

I'm nearly finished my Games Design course but the work is piling up because I'm lazy as hell. I'm worried about not passing because it means two years of work will go down the drain.

I am also worried that I will not be able to get an 1850 list for a 40k tourney fully painted and highlighted in 5 weeks and so lose my painting point(which has lost me tournies before).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011

Current worry is the government career worker exam which i need to pass to further my career.

Long term worries? hah, i actually went through with my plans quite well so far. I guess only the petty ones left beside the obvous health and stuff. That would be: will i ever catch up with my backlogs? will i ever accord everything i plan to? will i be able to save up for early retirement? yeah, i have it quite good now.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'm 38 and I'm most concerned about my job. I'm currently quite unhappy with it and need to find another one. However, working full time makes it difficult to find time to look for another. I'm recently free of debt so I don't need anything that pays much. Just gotta get out there and search.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
I'm 23, 24 in May, and my main concern is my career. I dropped out of uni when I was 19 worked for a year, Did a one year course in journalism, worked for a year and got into the second year of a two year film course. Finishing that up in a couple of weeks. Decided not to go on to university because my main interest is writing. So I'm starting to write, record and star in some sketch comedy sketches, writing some short stories I'm trying to get published, I'm filming a short film over the summer and have started to focus on stand up comedy again. Basically within two years I want to be at a point where I can leave my job. I work a shitty retail job at minimum wage for about 1000 a month. With enough hard work and a bit of luck it's not entirely unlikely that in two years time I can be earning 250 a week doing this stuff. Don't care about fortune just want to be able to say "this is my job."

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I'm 25 and I'm currently worried about the 10-20 minute long speech I have to give in class on Wednesday. Partly due to my anxiety issues, partly because I'm a poor public speaker, and partly because I find it impossible to work in an absurdly noisy environment, which I'm currently in. As a result, I'm nowhere close to done.

I'm quite lucky to be in a school that says they'll help me find a job once I graduate if I don't get hired after my unpaid internship but I'm worried about whether any of the companies partnered with my school will actually consider me a desirable employee. If I don't get hired then how will I pay off my student loan? If I do get a job then what if I get fired or laid off?

Beyond that, simply just worried that I'm not mentally suited for the "work your ass off until you're 67 and hope to God you have a decent pension" sort of lifestyle.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
24 - Getting a full-time job so I can afford to have my own place. And that's just the first phase of my "get my life back together" plan.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
I am also worried that I will not be able to get an 1850 list for a 40k tourney fully painted and highlighted in 5 weeks and so lose my painting point(which has lost me tournies before).
I know you're busy, so here is some advice.

1) Got friends? Bribe them with pizza to come have a movie night painting Warhammer. Set up a production line; each person does one colour. Did a whole 2000pt Nid army with my little brother that way.

2) Need something that looks good and is quick? Black primer, base coat, wash, highlight anything you see from above, don't worry about the rest. Next model.

3) I have said it in the first one, but production line! It is tiring, boring, and life-draining, but it is quicker, more consistent and you will see your skills improve. Paint for 2 hours, take 30 minutes break, do it again. Make a pledge to do it for 2 hours a day; you spend that on the internet messing around anyway. FOCUS!

4) Remember; a fully painted army with just base colours looks ten times better than a fantastic HQ, 3 members of your Troops, that one tank you half did and that 5-man squad you like so much leading the Grey Marines. Get paint on everything. THEN worry about highlighting it.

5) Consider getting an airbrush so you can base-coat the entire army; then use the airbrush to apply a wash; then put a light blue in there and do ALL of the lighting. You will have done 70% of the work in a single afternoon.

6) Remember the golden rule; faces and bases. If the base looks good, and the face looks good, and the rest looks just fine, the model will look good. People remember faces and bases.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
21. Concerned I will never find something worth devoting a life's work to. Just got out of the mentality of 'Nothing matters I'll probably kill myself" last summer, as somber as that is to say I don't imagine it to be uncommon. Nothing lasts forever, and you have the power to make it better.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Worried about the worsening condition of my much-abused back. I've had a couple of split vertebral discs for years now, and my symptoms are escalating. I'm probably a few years from surgery, after which most people are lucky to get a decade of full function before becoming downright crippled. For someone whose job hinges upon combat readiness, that's a scary thought (being crippled before even reaching 50 years old, that is). I'm not ready to retire, but I may be facing a forced career change. My other combat-induced physical infirmities pale in comparison to that.

Ah well, I always fall back on the fact that I'm lucky to be alive at all, with the places I've been and the things that have happened to me.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
29 (3 months till 30) and I'm mostly worried about "SRS ADLT MTRS!" these days, I've been unemployed since early September and still haven't found anything (though I had 6 months of Severance Pay and will only just now start on EI which will last for another year) so I'm not desperate...

However you can't ADVANCE on EI, there is no forward progress and THAT has been depressing. My wife wants kids, house etc. and it's hard to get in that mindset when you aren't sure when you'll be making the kind of money to support that kind of life... also there are still things I want to do before I'm tied down with infants/kids/horrible teenagers/respectable college bound kids who are going to be in the same situation or worse as I was when they get out.

Also this whole unemployment thing has given me serious depression so I've been stress eating and gaining weight though I'm trying to exercise more with the involuntary free time I have.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
19, software engineering student, and focusing on my grades. I overloaded myself this semester with course work, ROTC, and a part time job and kinda wore myself out. I dropped ROTC and a class that I simply couldn't get into, and my part time job let me and a bunch of people go for some reason. Not that big of a deal, I'm good at saving money and have plenty left over from my job back home (which pays way better and is more laid back).

I'm enjoying the free time, though I need to actually, like, sit my ass down and study for calc II. I tend to procrastinate studying because I never had to study in high school, so spending hours every day looking at a textbook and doing dozens if not hundreds of calculus problems doesn't appeal to me in any way.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I'm 26 soon to be 27 (Birthday is in April) and my current concern is coming to terms of being a full pledge adult.

yo i've lived on my own and worked full time, if you wanna talk just hit me up

OT: well i've just spent the last 5 years in and out of hospital every couple of weeks so i've not been working, i'm currently looking for a job but not alot of employers wanna hire someone who's been out of work for so long due to illness and due to the fact of being in hospital and not able to work i've fallen behind on a load of bills so i'm in a massive amount of debt and it's all rather getting too much dunno how much longer i can handle it as i'm pretty close to breaking point (even though everyone i know says i'm one of the strongest person they've ever met as i usually hold everyone together when things go wrong) on top of all that i'm also wondering if there's something wrong with me as i may be single forever as i've been single for 7 years and just can't seem to find anyone but this isn't major and i can live with it

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
I'm 18 and I am mostly worried about the governmental issues that seem to plague the US as of late. I am repeatedly told that I have to fix the government or that our generation is responsible for the colossal debt of the country. I live in the Midwest by the way so religion and the right wing hold a very tight grip on the state of Idaho. also currently hoping I don't have to grab a G.E.D. because of an online class that I have to take.

MMSouthpawVIII

Sep 5, 2008
I am 23.

My Current biggest concern is getting accepted to the school I want for my study abroad requirement.

JBGigas

Dec 19, 2009
My biggest concern is that I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life and that when if I'm ever gonna get a job.
I'm currenty unemployed (after leaving from compulsive military service, of which I changed to civil service) with cook's papers which doesn't get me anywhere because I don't have enough history in the business.
I'm living with my girlfriend who has to pay everything from rent to food and bills, and she is working in a kindergarten so her wage is pretty low, and because of that I feel awful, I feel like I'm just a useless bag of meat.

While I am actively looking for a job, it wreches me because I don't even like working in a kitchen all that much. I hate evening shifts, and it's work that creates stress. In the previus place I was working in, I had 50 - 65h weeks with near constant stress, after couple months I got quite badly depressed. And I don't ever want that to happend again!

I would love to start studying something else but I just don't know that which field I should start with.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
30 and I'm concerned about the USA's transformation into a police state, the impending dollar collapse, and the end of Western civilization in general.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
24 and resisting the urge to burn every company that doesn't reply to my applications to the ground. It seems as if just because they don't reply none of my opinions are properly respected by most people because they're so far up their own arses thinking that they're better than me when in reality they were just lucky.

You spend any length of time unemployed and people just assume that you don't want to work. I hope those people get hit by something heavy. Anything. Honestly.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'm 21 and I'm concerned about finding a job and trying to pay bills. A lot has happened in the last month for me and it's put a lot of pressure on me.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
I'm 21 and concerned partly about college, but the more pressing thing is how I've been having what amounts to (fairly mild) panic attacks about the inevitability of death and the fact that we don't know what comes after. It makes me afraid and sick to my stomach, and it doesn't seem to go away no matter how many people I talk to about it.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I don't know what I want to do with my life after college.
At least after looking through this thread I know I'm not the only one.

More specifically, I'm concerned about my current GPA, which isn't as high as I like nor is it very low either. Let's just say I will have a hard time getting into graduate school if I decide to go. I'm also not happy with the current degree I'm going to get, which I am willing to bet is going to bite me in the butt later. However, I'm so close to finishing it, I see no point in changing my major now. I also don't have a job nor do I have a diver's license, both things that are honestly hurting me more than I would have first thought two or three years ago. I also live with my father, which I'm fine with but I really hope to live in another city than I do right now, problem is I have no connections (friends or family) outside of my home city.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Almost Twenty, trying to deal with the crushing dread of entering a work/sleep/eat routine which everyone seems thoroughly miserable about. Current plan is to study for as long as possible and maybe do a working holiday to put off everyday life for a bit longer.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
I'm 23.

I graduated last May from a great university with a degree in engineering. My grades were solid, I had a ton of research experience, and I was all lined up to either get a job at a government lab or work on my Master's. A month before graduation, the US government sequestration started and all of my funding dropped out from under me. I graduated with no prospects and spent the next 10 months job searching while taking a few part-time graduate school classes.

In early February I was offered a job that was almost perfect for me. I'm scheduled to start in two weeks, so I've spent the last month trying to secure an apartment and get ready for my move. I hope I'm prepared, I hope I haven't forgotten anything, and I hope everything goes well. That being said, my brain has spent the last month fixated on every way I could possibly screw this up...

Part of me is excited about finally starting my career, while the rest of me is terrified that I'm going to fuck it up in ways I can't even imagine. A "worst case scenario" has already happened to me once, I hope it doesn't happen again.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I'm 26 and most concerned about the fact that my country is casting aside civilised debate in favour of a grand poo-slinging competition, respect for people who are experts in their field in favour of pandering to loudmouths with short attention spans, and quality journalism for clickbait.

Oh, and the fact that our government thinks bringing back Knighthoods is a gainful employment of time.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Nineteen, and like the rest o' y'all, college stress, uncertainty about the future, not being entirely sure if I know what to do with my life, worrying about where I'm gonna live/work/continue existing, etc. That, and some gender related stuff that I am not about to detail in a public forum, is probably what's most bothering me at the moment.

Kinda makes ya wonder why I even bothered posting in the first place...

thewanderer41

Jun 20, 2012
I'm 23. My greatest concern right now is never getting a girlfriend, never losing my virginity, and thus never being able to raise a family.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
I'm 26, and I'm worried about my health. My health is so poor that I haven't been able to work in years, but I don't want to just grow old and die having accomplished nothing. I'm working on building a tabletop RPG system and setting, but the work is slow, partially cause of my health, and partially cause what energy I do have is often drained off by other (necessary) things.

I want to lose weight, get my cholesterol down, and get healthy enough to go on walks again. But right now I'm struggling just to tread water. And the setting I build may never sell a single copy (but I love it anyway and I'm gonna build it anyway).

Sellon88

Sep 15, 2013

I'm afraid that with the toxic, selfish, and shortsighted social, and political in the world today that the world is going to burn done before I can get my seemingly improbable dream (going into animation if your wondering) off the ground.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
teqrevisited said:
24 and resisting the urge to burn every company that doesn't reply to my applications to the ground. It seems as if just because they don't reply none of my opinions are properly respected by most people because they're so far up their own arses thinking that they're better than me when in reality they were just lucky.

You spend any length of time unemployed and people just assume that you don't want to work. I hope those people get hit by something heavy. Anything. Honestly.
God, I know that. I've just started doing all those things I wanted to do as a job as an amateur for now; writing that film blog, doing interviews (got one with the Compulsion Games crew, yay!), doing more research into Chinese history, doing Chinese translation for scanlation groups and so on so I don't drive myself insane doing nothing everyday, and so I have things to put onto my CV (what have you been up to since uni?).

Maybe I'll get a job out of it. HA!

But seriously, I'd just set like a 5 per day limit, and then focus on stuff you want to do which is CV worthy. If you haven't already, start a blog on some area you're interested; if you're a specialist of some kind, I'd recommend this doubly as it shows you're up to date, and it keeps you up to date. Try grabbing some interviews with people, make friends, maybe they can point you towards a job, etc.

Good luck.

ZorroFonzarelli

Jan 5, 2009
Doublegee said:
30 and I'm concerned about the USA's transformation into a police state, the impending dollar collapse, and the end of Western civilization in general.
Well, and this too...

Summerstorm

Sep 19, 2008
I am 32...

I am concerned about aging and dying. (No i am not sick or something... just feeling it going downhill and like everybody up to 25 i was planning on living forever. MAN)

Secondary: Money. I fucking hate money... but i need it to buy myself freedom (which i like)

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011

I have never had a job or paid bills of any kind. I'm worried as hell because I know I will need to become an "adult" soon and I have no idea how to do any of it. I don't know how to create a resume or apply for a job, I don't even know how to write a check. I am very concerned I wont be able to learn all of it and wont be able to survive once my supporting family, who are getting on in years, all pass on.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
32, almost 33.

My biggest worry is being able to have kids. My wife and I have been trying for over a year and so far nothing. She has some medical problems that make her cycle erratic at the best of times and we are getting worried that we might not be able to conceive without expensive medical intervention.

Wafflemarine

Dec 12, 2011
25 and starting college for the first time this August. Living on my own and with 20 plus hours of work a week with 18 credits I will basically live at college and work. Work at UPS too so when it gets close to the holidays my work load dramatically increases. Tackling all this on my own with pretty much zero support from anyone.

Got summer classes to take and year round work so no breaks. Get to rack up debt just to make up working less hours then used to just to buy food and gas. So the realization that it will only get harder to go later and if I don't do it I will probably not get another shot.

Would also like to socialize and make friends in college never got a chance in high school and as an adult.

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
20 and I am quite worried about what I want to do with my life. I already failed one study, and I have no idea what I want to do next. Right now I'm working 40 hours a week at a Customer Service Center. The work deadens my brain. I have an incredible urge to go back to college or to go work/live/play abroad for a couple of months/years.

..I just want to get out of my current environment..

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I'm 27, and much like you, OP, I'm currently worried about my entry into the job market. I'm in the process of writing my Master's thesis, and despite the fact that I hate having to read mountains of literature for it I know I'm gonna do fine in the end.
However, the job market for teachers is pants, or at least it is in this state. There are myriad ifs and maybes connected to even getting in - for example, you'd need a way better average than what I'll get in the end in order to not get put on a waiting list - and job security is a bad joke compared to what it used to be.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Leon Declis said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
I know you're busy, so here is some advice.

1) Got friends? Bribe them with pizza to come have a movie night painting Warhammer. Set up a production line; each person does one colour. Did a whole 2000pt Nid army with my little brother that way.

2) Need something that looks good and is quick? Black primer, base coat, wash, highlight anything you see from above, don't worry about the rest. Next model.

3) I have said it in the first one, but production line! It is tiring, boring, and life-draining, but it is quicker, more consistent and you will see your skills improve. Paint for 2 hours, take 30 minutes break, do it again. Make a pledge to do it for 2 hours a day; you spend that on the internet messing around anyway. FOCUS!

4) Remember; a fully painted army with just base colours looks ten times better than a fantastic HQ, 3 members of your Troops, that one tank you half did and that 5-man squad you like so much leading the Grey Marines. Get paint on everything. THEN worry about highlighting it.

5) Consider getting an airbrush so you can base-coat the entire army; then use the airbrush to apply a wash; then put a light blue in there and do ALL of the lighting. You will have done 70% of the work in a single afternoon.

6) Remember the golden rule; faces and bases. If the base looks good, and the face looks good, and the rest looks just fine, the model will look good. People remember faces and bases.
Thanks, I guess its just an issue of motivation at the moment. I don't have to worry about faces that much as I play an Eldar Altansar army so as per the fluff all of them have helmets on (Had to decapitate my Autarch on a bike and put another Autarch helmet on him). My army isn't a unified colour scheme however, all Aspect Warriors are the colour of their respective shrines with elements on them reflecting the Craftworlds colours e.g. Dire Avengers with red and black mohawks. Guardians, tanks and wraith stuff is all the Craftworld colours however.

You are too right about highlighting though, I'm saving that till last. I highlighted my Warp Spiders and damn that was a pain and it made me swear to do all highlighting last.

Oh now I feel like painting! Time to go finish the second Dire Avenger squad.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
I'm 22 and I'm most concerned about environmental, social and economic issues... Too many to list. We're heading in for something bad, or at least worse. My home countries (I consider myself to have two) of New Zealand and Australia are both headed for economic disaster, mainly Australia if our current government continues with it's antiquated policies, and both countries seem to want to follow the policies of the USA... I really hate to say it, but that is the worst move any country can make.

In terms of myself... I'm worried that my life is going nowhere and I don't know what the hell I'm going to do. I'll study something, but I may not even be able to get work in my industry after 3 to 4 years of study, and I'm worried that a university won't accept me if I want to study a certain subject. And I'm worried about my love life because that is just a disaster... So yea, those are my 22 year old person problems.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Elfgore said:

Right there with you. I studied for a year and dropped out to go overseas, where I stayed for 3 years... Best decision I ever made. It was foolish of me to think I knew what I wanted right out of high school. I'm going back soon and now I'm a lot better for it. I'm smarter, more independent, and just a better person than I was. Looking back at when I was 18/19, sure I was a nice enough guy, but I didn't understand the world enough. If I had any advice it would be that if you don't know what you're going to do, save some money and travel, then study.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
omega 616 said:
25 in may.
I've been doing a work trail for 2 and a bit weeks (all unpaid) but I didn't exactly write essays about "what I had been doing to look for work". Basically, the system is a little fucked up, for ages now I've had a guaranteed placement, I just need to get past work trails and stuff ... however I can't simply put "have a placement in the bag, I just have to wait to get paid and then I can come off benefits" and leave it at that till I come off benefits.
Jesus CHRIST you've been on trial for 2 and a bit weeks? What country do you live in? That sounds fucking unacceptable!

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I'm 30 and I'm mostly worried about the number of my socks that have got holes in the toe area. I really should just get some more but I can't be bothered. I'm also buying a house but I'm more excited than worried about that.

Reading a lot of these posts brings back a lot of memories. All I can say is that getting older is boss.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Timmaaaah said:
omega 616 said:
25 in may.
Jesus CHRIST you've been on trial for 2 and a bit weeks? What country do you live in? That sounds fucking unacceptable!
I think by "unpaid" he means "to remain eligible for my unemployment benefit", but in fairness I've always thought that whole idea is a little bit dodgy. I mean, why not just train everyone to be plumbers or plasterers? They can be self employed and get good money rather than doing shit-work for some bullshit company.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I am 26 and very nearly 33 weeks pregnant. Overall, I worry about the health of the fetus (even though it is apparently right on track in development) and myself - but that's to be expected. In comparison to what I hear of other women's pregnancies, it seems like I'm breezing right through this one. So I'm quite fortunate. I also have some experience in caring for babies and children, so the aftercare isn't as daunting to think about. My husband has little to no experience with babies however, he seems far more worried. lol

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
21, just finished my degree. Apparently I was one of the first to take that shiny new degree and the only one graduated last year.
My main concern is to get fit, I realised I am way too skinny and physically weak. Been doing weight, but at irregular hours due to temporary work. I'm buying too many video games with no time to play them.

Oh and to find a proper full-time job too of course. My course had a lot of irrelevant subjects, now my range of skill is too broad but nothing concrete, in other words: jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

moostar

Nov 26, 2010
Elfgore said:

My feels as well. IM 18 years old, and I'm attending junior college atm to get a degree in computer repair.

My concern is math. I've had alot of difficulty with this subject in high school, and because of this, its making me very

fearful of my career choice which is a shame really cause I love being on computers. I also tend to think about how much of an

introvert I really am because I don't talk to too many of the students when I'm at the college. It makes me a bit

depressed.

Aug 19, 2010
I'm turning 17 in may, and my biggest concern is my future. More specifically, the part of my future immediately after finishing uni. I aspire to work in the video game industry (a dream that has gained me much respect, I might add /sarcasm), and hope to eventually found/co-found a company.

But I'm absolutely terrified of that particular time in my life, due to it being rather critical. Even the slightest of fuckups during that time (or before) will affect the rest of my life and dreams.

The majority of people my age still only care about sex, drugs, alcohol and parties (at least where I live, the sterotype ain't exaggerated). Me actually caring about what my life will look like in a few years makes we weird.

I have a generally a positive view of my future if things go mostly according to plan, but I'm also concerned about what it will be like if nothing goes according to plan. I'm floating around an imbalance of "bring it the fuck on, throw everything you have at me, I'll take it" enthusiasm and "oh shit go away I don't want responsibility" sheer terror.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
35 here, and the biggest concerns are mostly family-related. The wife and I are having conversations about whether or not we want to have kids (because if we do, now is probably a good time), and my father-in-law has been in poor health, so there's also a question about what we need to do with him, and both of those things lead into where we want to live - do we stay in North America where we both have solid careers, or do we choose family over money and settle in Europe (and if so, where: the in-laws are in the UK, while my family is in Belgium).

But honestly aside from the father-in-law situation, all of our options are pretty decent, so it's hard to think that we'll be making the wrong choice whichever way we end up going.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
24, and I worry about how many people I'll end up hurting, disappoint, or piss off before and after I die.

Can't stop it, can't prevent it, at some point it will happen and there is no way to avoid it.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I'm currently 18.

My main concerns at the moment are thus: Will I do well in the rest of Uni? I got all 2.1's and firsts for my first semester, but this semester isn't shaping up too well. And it only gets harder from here. In a related fear, I'm worried about not being good at my prospective career. As someone who studies Computer Science and Business in a joint program, I'm probably leaning more towards some kind of programming job. But as I'm only taking half the modules as full-blow Computer Science students, I'm worried that I won't learn enough to be proficient. I did well in my Java module, but that was literally baby stuff. The field seems so complicated and I'm afraid of not being good enough. But it's too early to judge that I suppose. Thirdly, I'm worried about my dad. He was recently diagnosed with lymphoma and while before this I didn't have a care in the world about being half way across the globe from him, now I'm afraid; afraid enough to make me break down into tears when I first heard. Lastly, I'm worried if I'll ever actually find someone to love and even then if I'll do anything to ask that girl on a date. This is the least important one and it's definitely not something I'm too worried about; I'm still relatively young, but still, its demoralising being 18 and yet to even kiss a girl when many of my friends have had multiple girlfriends and all the 'perks' of a relationship.

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
21. Money

I'm a cinema major who's on his last year in undergrad studies. I can get a BA next year, which is what I want to do because I hate being in San Francisco and broke. Or, almost broke.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'm 19 (20 in under two weeks).

I have no idea what to do with my life. I dropped out of university last year for a number of reasons (settled for a course that I didn't really enjoy, hated the city, got horribly depressed) and now I just don't know what to do. My parents are talking about retiring soon and I'm worried that I'm going to end up fucking up all their plans because I couldn't get my arse in gear. I've got two older brothers- one got As and Bs at A-level, went to a top university and his life is apparently fucking perfect (although he's a boring ************). The other is due to graduate this year in forestry (which he loves), he was always the kid that seemed least academic and most of a fuckup, but he lucks his way through. I guess I just feel like a total fucking failure in comparison, even though when I was in school everyone seemed to think I was a fucking genius even though my results were distinctly average.

I feel like absolute shit all the time which is killing my motivation to do anything but I can't broach the subject with anyone. No one seems to realise I might be a mopey prick all the time because I'm miserable, so I'm branded as lazy instead (to be fair, that's probably true as well). Honestly though, it's hard to go out looking for an apprenticeship when you struggle to get out of bed.

omega 616

May 1, 2009
Bertylicious said:
Timmaaaah said:
omega 616 said:
25 in may.
I think by "unpaid" he means "to remain eligible for my unemployment benefit", but in fairness I've always thought that whole idea is a little bit dodgy. I mean, why not just train everyone to be plumbers or plasterers? They can be self employed and get good money rather than doing shit-work for some bullshit company.
Nah, at least not yet. I could very easily sit at home and do nothing to look for work or do voluntary work for multiple years ... after 6 months of unemployment benefit you start to get sent on "work programmes", make you do things like "attend job search sessions" or "do an employability course" (which is meant to inform you of things like interview techniques, job search techniques, rights and responsibilities, laws, good customer service etc), which is all under the threat of "if you don't attend you get 0 money for 3 months, then 6 months and then 2 years".

Still easy as pie to not job search, show your face and do as little work as possible without too much trouble. I actually did this exact thing for about a year, till I realized that I am not robbing tax payers or getting one over on the government/job centre ... I am robbing myself.

I am wasting time and if I continue, I will be the manager at the corner shop when I am 75 and have no significant savings or pension (which was the best case scenario). I started voluntary work and applying to everything and I am now almost on an apprenticeship to be a chef for a year and then be employed in a newly built hotel and training the next round of people on the same apprenticeship.

The problem with your idea is, you then end up with a fuck tonne of plasters and plumbers and crap distribution of work ... unless you start shipping them off to other countries.

Alex Hawke

Aug 3, 2013
I'm 20 years old student (IT). My biggest concerns are human rights in general, information security in particular. Also there are exams coming, but I'm preparing to it, so all will be fine.

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
18- midterms/Finals
Animation field. I regret n- Hold on my picture need 18 hours to render.

Nata-chan

Mar 11, 2014
Like just about everyone else here I'm worried how the future will turn out, and what the best course of action will be.
Short Term:
-still waiting on the results from my PhD submission six months later (my uni didn't have a defence just submit the thesis) with no support from the uni (I am in the UK, they are in AUS) and the victim of out of sight/out of mind.
-feeling unconfident about a career in academia (the logical choice for a PhD) because I had a really bad experience with my supervisor who knocked all the confidence out of me, and I was always rejected for publications.
-want to become a journalist but feel unconfident because I don't have any qualifications in media or experience as a journo. Can't afford to spend money on said degree or qualifications because of moving to the UK and currently being unemployed. Currently being a blogger and pretending like that's "Building a portfolio" and trying to apply for jobs.

Long term:
-Worrying I actually have some kind of mental disorder that is undiagnosed but suspecting it's probably just regular old lazy brain (more Brain Training Dr Kagoshima!) and depression.
-Not wanting to become my parents, my dad has been unemployed for like 6 years and seems so picky about getting a job he's become this house-bound person. My mum works full time to pay for them in a job she doesn't like but has been doing forever. I don't want to end up doing "a job" to pay the bills, especially because they have pushed me to be a professional since I was a kid (though that didn't go so well obviously). But I know I would be good at doing "a job" and would one the one hand be satisfied with teh money.
-Feeling guilty about not really liking my parents but unsure how to deal with it. They have gotten weirder since I moved out of home, they're very introverted, everything is too hard basket but a get rich quick scheme - so nothing ends up happening, we have none of the same interests. They gush over my husband's achievements and solicit his advice like gospel but ignore me or condescend me. (this is compounded by being an only child). Because of them our family isn't close (like extended family) but I worry about perpetuating the same thing into the future.
-Unsure about having kids. I can't afford a kid now, and I don't know if I really want kids. But I am worried about getting too old to have kids.
-I am envious of my husband's success. We followed the same path (at one point it became I followed him) and he is super successful as a scientist. He's super smart and he seems to have it all fall into place really easily. I'm proud of his success, and he supports us financially, but I also resent that while he is breezing along in his second post-doc, I am still waiting for the results from my PhD (that I wanted to quit but everyone told me to keep going with).

Sorry it's long.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I'm currently 18, turned that at the beginning of March, and I'm worried about my future. I am going to be a creative writing/professional communications major in August, hopefully minoring in women's studies, and my dream is go work as a movie journalist at say, IGN or somewhere. I'm just scared I won't make it, or I'll be stuck doing some small time job stuck in my hometown.

It just really scares me, ya know?

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I'm 27 and I'm worried about gaining financial independence. Even with a bachelors degree I can't get a job that pays even over 10 dollars an hour.

inactive123

Feb 6, 2014
Turning 22 at the end of this month.

Currently I'm concerned about my upcoming trip to Australia. The trip will be for a year and the reason for going is to spend time with my dad and other family on that side since I haven't seen most of them for 4/5 years. It's an awesome opportunity to travel and I'm excited for it but I also have two main concerns about going.

Firstly, I've been in a stable relationship going on 2 years and going to Australia will mean doing long-distance for a year. My concern here is obviously that we won't cope with the long-distance.

Secondly concern is the fact that I am quite terrible at making new friends without some support from existing friends. This will force me out of my comfort zone and while that might be good for me I'm still scared I fail miserably at making friends.

Random Encounter

Feb 17, 2011
20 and not a clue with what I want to do with my life.

After year ten I moved to a different school and didn't cope well with the transition. After just not going for a number of weeks I ended up dropping out. I tried a High School Equivalency Certificate but I simply lacked interest in the subjects I had chosen and didn't have the ambition to finish the year. It was after this that I decided just to get a job for the time being until I can sort my life out.

I also ended up losing contact with all my old friends in the process, which is a shame because I'm getting lonely and really wish I had someone to talk and hang out with. I considered reconnecting with them again but I'm too embarrassed to admit that over the last four years the only thing I've accomplished is acquiring a part-time job.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
17, will be 18 in four months.

Concerned about: Graduating. I have this senior project, 2 very difficult essays to do for English, a giant math test (since I failed math four years ago in freshman year) and I have to present said senior project. I'm also worried about my physical health, such as weight loss (and other things I won't mention). I'm not morbidly obese, but I know a lot of insecurities and worries that I have would be very downplayed if I trimmed the fat, so to speak.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
I'm 30, living in the eastern US.

Concerns:
My parents: my mother recently lost her barely-above-minimum-wage job of 30 years due to medical issues, my father hasn't had a job in 10 years and is too proud to get a real job. They had to move onto my grandmother's property this year and I see no hope in them becoming any more financially stable (besides disability and social security - and they'll be able to live there as long as the property taxes are paid). At least my father grows a large garden and is a good fix-it guy, otherwise I'd really hate him.

My wife: been trying to get my wife pregnant for a few years (she just turned 33), finally a ray of hope with a very minor miscarriage (it sounds weird, but at least our parts work, if you get my drift). Concerned about where we are going to raise said child(ren) as both of our families are on the west coast and we live on the east. Concerned with her becoming her mother and if we can stand each others' habits long term (she's a clean freak and I play too much video games for her taste sometimes); we love each other, but we can seriously frustrate each other sometimes.

My job: my awesome degrees got me a job I like (S.B. Math, M.S. Optical Sciences), but it's on the wrong coast and its a gov't job, so I could make more $$ going private at the cost of doing bitchier, less fulfilling work. Also with how the U.S. gov't is acting towards budgets... I really don't like the long-term reduction in my purchasing power. I also don't want to let down my current co-workers by leaving - I'm becoming more involved and respected and essentially an expert at certain things now, I won't have that at another job right away. But right now we are also riding a fine line of living within our means - a couple nights out or a vacation can push us to the other side. I guess at least I have a job that pays the bills, and I'm lucky my wife does too.

My health: my back isn't quite straight and I am terrible at keeping up with regular exercise - which I should do to strengthen and straighten it. I have a small tumor on one of my kidneys (they think it's benign... hopefully it is). And my teeth - will need a crown, maybe a root canal soon :(. I see cracks in a few other teeth and I think this is just the beginning of a lifetime of even more dental work.

*end of concerns

I don't know who'll actually read to this point, but to those of you who worry about meeting women and losing your virginity until late... I didn't lose my virginity until 25 (and that's with college and grad school in party environments), and I realized that you just have to put yourself out there. Do whatever you can to meet people (dating sites, going to parties/events, meeting friends at bars) and practice talking to women, IN PERSON if possible, and eventually you might realize half of the battle is learning body language and just how to interact comfortably with them (what to talk about/what not to, listening to her, how to be proud w/o being an asshole, etc.). Get friends to help you out or just strike up a conversation. Just don't give up - it will happen when you aren't paying attention or least expect it.

Eventually you realize you went somewhere and were talking with the same cute girl for an hour or two comfortably and she might just lead you away. Or at least you might exchange numbers. There is hope, but you can't have any relationship without two people, so learn to interact with them (they want it too). Just be (mostly) yourself. Best of luck.

Denny Crane

Nov 6, 2009
I recently turned 30 and my biggest fear is the fact that my country is being run by a bunch of bigots who think it's alright to lock up fellow human beings for the sake of "sovereignty".

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
22, dying of cancer, having spent thousands on course that my lead to a career I may not like or forces me to work with people I don't like (likely at this point), passing said course, debt from said course, job market and being unable to afford to move out of home so still leeching off parents.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
22 here. Wondering what the fuck I'm gonna do when I finish my master in particle physics.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
37. I'm mostly worried how am I to support my family since this job is likely coming to the end and I don't have next one ready.

That and the fact that world is going down the drain compared to my ideals.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
18, start college as a philosophy major in September, I'm happy about that

But I'm concerned about several upcoming surgeries and if I'll be able to make friends (and romantic interests) after I start college, also concerned about the work load and stress from college, but less so

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
What's your age, and what are you currently most concerned about?

Can Castleford overcome St. Helens in tonights top-of-the-table clash at Wheldon Road? I don't know, probably not, but I'm going to be colossally drunk and obnoxious by the time I get to the ground so by full time it probably won't matter.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013

What am I going to do when my luck finally runs out and the conditions that have allowed me to get by on the bare minimum of effort collapse? Will it finally break the cycle of apathy and self-loathing or I will I collapse as well?

And why the fuck should anyone else give a desiccated rat shit?

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Headsprouter said:

17, same here.

Short answer though, just about everything.
Warning, everything I have placed in this spoiler is pointless, whiny drama. Probably. The internet has blurred my vision between what's 'crying over nothing' and what's 'pathetic' and what is deemed 'okay' to feel.

Great.

I'm a writer that has SAD (yes, that's an actual disorder. Seasonal Affective Disorder) and switches in-between writing and art, it seems like the only times I can write 'well' is during the winter months...

And I want to be a novelist.

Plus I can't draw how I want to, none of my art looks like how I want it to look, I feel pathetic and shitty at just about every artistic thing I try to do, especially when I look back in retrospect and point out all the inconsistency therein. I'm incredibly jealous of people like Sakimichan and a bunch of different fan-fiction writers who seem to pump out thousands of words a day and it comes out like its fucking perfect. But moreso of Sakimichan (google her, facebook her, w/e, her art is perfect and I wish her all the best but yeah, a little jelly) because I have this horrible, horrible problem of needing to see my character the exact way I see them in my head, animated and alive and if not in a beautiful artistic way (I blame my love of Miyazaki in my younger age), but I can't fucking draw/paint. At all. Not even in the 'anime' style I've been practicing for two-three years now. I'm godawful at in comparison to my inspirations for loving the craft...

In addition, I'm a single girl whose been home schooled their entire life basically, I have no friends and I feel paranoid as hell because ever since I was little people have been trying to either snatch me (around 4 kidnapping attempts around my 8-13 years of age.) or keep me locked up in the house so I can't do anything, and sent me mixed messages that leave me so confused its like reading a typed political rant made by someone with eight different personalities. (Mom complains about me being lazy, doesn't want me to get a job or bugs me when I exercise even when I make it clear I don't want to talk.)

I feel extremely bitter and angry sometimes about things I can't do anything about, to the point of thoughts of physical violence. I'm concerned about things like dying young, dying a virgin without someone to love, dying without getting all the stories and fantasies out of my head first, living a shitty life, being forgotten like a broken part in a machine after I'm dead, but I can't 'cry' either because after all, cry is for wussies right? The only time I really let myself cry is when the Thanatophobia hits - and then its for two or three nights in a row before I'm able to calm down, but I only cry in the dark.

What really sucks though is, thanks to what I believe could be my own fault, I've built a persona that makes it okay to 'bother' me when I'm upset or sad, like my parents don't understand how I could cry or get angry. They expect (Iron Man 1 only) Tony Stark levels of snark and rudeness from me 24/7 because I've built that up through the years and played it up because...it was funny at the time but now, with the state I'm in right now as I'm typing this I want to cry and kill the world.

I'm in a special program in my school that gives me a scholarship if I pass with high marks, since I'm so smart, but I'm terrified that I'm going to get that scholarship, appear at some kind of test to prove that I learned what the school says I learned and then flunk it and all that hard work goes straight down the drain.

Even better, I have no idea what I'm going to get my degree in because to be honest, I love writing but I can't see myself making a living off of what I'm making now in life. I need more practice, more of a fanbase, more word choice and a much large vocabulary that could take years to learn and correctly place into my work. So I'm considering Business Management or just plain Business since I hear its easy and I've done Microeconomic college work before with my mom's college book.

I'm concerned that my horrible sense of hygiene is going to kill me. Really I should be taking a shower - its nearly midnight and I don't even remember when I last bathed. This sucks.

Great. Now I feel like one of those over the top girls who exaggerate every problem they see. Perfect. This thread is awesome. Can I get some anxiety to go please?

Non-pg13 under the mark...

And I have an extremely twisted view of sex I think, thanks to porn, erotica and my mother's constant annoyance of me... So that's great. I want a man that I KNOW, logically, literally cannot exist. I know every facet and thing about him, I know his favorite color, I know how he likes his hair and his eggs, I know what his laugh is like down to the decibel - I even fucking named this sonovabitch who doesn't exist. (And now I'm concerned I'm crazy. Great.) It hurts to think that I'm actually so greedy to even hope that I'll actually just find him one day, walking around looking for me like some twilight-style fairy tale. I'm concerned that I'm never going to meet 'him' and that he really will exist. It hurts to think that he might just exist and I'm just freaking out over nothing, only to end up with him being interested in someone else or with a 'preference' that doesn't align with mine, or being everything I've ever wanted and me just not being in the right place or time to meet him, only to see it years later and realize the horrible mistake I made.

I'm terrified that I'm going to be sexually inadequate compared to all the other girls who've been having sex since ages like 14, 15, 16, I'm afraid that I will eventually be raped by someone I trust (I have a grandfather who is a known pedophile and raped my FAVORITE aunt when she was younger. She's an alcoholic, depressed, angry, cynic now, but I love her.) and then no one will believe me or care because, hey, just another little girl who had sex, changed her mind halfway through and is now just crying rape.

It is less of an uncommon story then you think.