What's your age, and what are you currently most concerned about?

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
The members of this forum span a variety of ages and life experiences. I'm curious where some of us are in life. So please write your age, and the thing that's weighting heaviest on your mind in a moment.

I'm 25, and my biggest concern atm are the exit exams for my Master's in History. I've been in grad school for two years, and now have to pass a battery of tests to be awarded my degree.

I'm shitting bricks, because you get one retry if you don't pass, and then you are kicked out of the program. I spent two years of my life and sunk into debt in order to get this degree, and I'll forever regret it if I don't earn the thing.

I just want to graduate and start my professional life. In two months I should be done with school, and I'm thinking I'll move to the West Coast, probably rooming with a friend until I can hopefully get a job that pays me enough to not die.

Getting a job is important, because following graduation I'll lose my health insurance, and having health insurance goes a long way towards my goal of not dieing.

So those are my current concerns. How about everyone else?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm eighteen, going to be nineteen in two weeks.

I'm currently worried about what I want to do with my life. I'm currently a history major, going for teaching. But now I'm doubting if that's what I really want to do with my life. One thing I learned when I reached college is that the decisions I make her will change my life. It's quite terrifying actually, not being guided to a goal. So, I'm constantly wondering what I can do for a living and not be totally miserable.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
27, currently worried about my increasingly worsening tinnitus.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I'm 22 and my concerns are much the same as yours, just with an undergraduate degree rather than a Masters. My thesis is due in two weeks (and I've already had a 3 week extension due to ill health, just to add to the stress), then after that it's straight into revision for my Finals. Can't wait to be rid of this whole thing. I really haven't enjoyed my degree and I just want to get on with the rest of my life. None of the careers I'm interested in even require a degree, so it does kind of feel like I've wasted the last four years (though of course I'm aware that an Oxford degree will be a useful thing to have "in the bank" as it were). Despite my lack of enthusiasm though, I can't bear the thought of putting four years into this thing and then failing. My university doesn't do continual assessment or exams at the end of each year or anything sensible like that: the entire four years is judged on these exams, nothing else.

I'm also currently applying for jobs and training schemes, all of which are super-competitive, plus the applications themselves are seriously time consuming. Landing a dream job isn't necessarily an immediate concern as I have a backup plan (work any old retail/service/whatever job, save money, go to New Zealand for a year), but equally I really don't want to end up as one of those graduates who gets stuck in a "temporary" retail job for years and years - something I've seen happen to a few of my friends.

My other major concern is my health. I have bipolar disorder, and it's been playing up in a big way these last few months. I'm worried I'll never be properly stable, I'm worried about what employers will think and when/if I should disclose it, I'm worried about how it might count against me in some future situations - getting certain jobs, moving abroad etc. Plus if I have to relocate for work in the next few months, which is looking likely, I'll have to move away from the support network I've finally got set up here, with a GP and psychiatrist who know me and my condition well. The quality of mental health care in this country varies so much from region to region it's not even funny, and setting up initial referrals to new psychiatrists takes forever. Took me three months to see my first psychiatrist, even though I was in crisis.

Sorry for the essay - guess you caught me at a particularly stressful point in my life!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Twenty-two.

At the moment I'm most worried that my plans are going to be completely ruined before they even get started by being rejected by the university I applied to. International post takes way too long to travel.

I'm also worried about going bald. My hair has started to thin out over the past two or three years, and baldness has a tendency to run on my father's side of the family, at least. My grandfather was mostly balding by the time he was twenty-five, and my older brother's hair started thinning a few years back as well. I love my hair. I think I look far better with it than without.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Aged 21, graduate here. Mainly concerned about my long-term career, I recently found a job as a Physics Technician after a few months of unemployment so at-least I've got something for the time being but it isn't what I'd like to do for the rest of my life, I'm currently trying to figure out my next step whilst earning some money.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
25 in may.

Biggest worry at the moment is, am I getting paid tonight! It's the biggest problem with being on benefits, when you work you know you're getting paid (unless you're employed by a shitty company or you miss too much work) but with benefits, you sign on and then wait 3 days to find out if you're getting cash.

I've been doing a work trail for 2 and a bit weeks (all unpaid) but I didn't exactly write essays about "what I had been doing to look for work". Basically, the system is a little fucked up, for ages now I've had a guaranteed placement, I just need to get past work trails and stuff ... however I can't simply put "have a placement in the bag, I just have to wait to get paid and then I can come off benefits" and leave it at that till I come off benefits.

I have to actively look for work, which means I have a job but I need to apply for 12 jobs a fortnight, which makes it awkward when an employer rings you and wants you to come to an interview! "yeah, I have a job but I needed to apply to your advert for a position." ... which after 4 years of not even getting "sorry/unfortunately you have been unsuccessful this time" is a piss take!

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm 22.

I'm just finishing my second Masters degree.
My first was in history and the one I'm currently doing qualifies me to work as an archivist or records manager so my main concern is finishing my thesis and getting a job as soon as possible.

I've lingered in university too long methinks.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I'm 20.

I'm coming to the end of my second year in a 4-year chemistry course at uni, and my biggest concern is how difficult the next two years will be. The jump in difficulty between years 1 and 2 was pretty great so I'm dreading the possibility that the difficulty curve remains constant. Add to that the fact that the score you get on your first attempt in an exam is final unless it's less than 40, in which case you can only get a maximum of 40 in your resit.

Basically I'm just terrified that I'm going to end university with a buttload of debt and a crap degree or no degree at all to show for it.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
30 & at this exact moment the only thing I'm worried about is if I'm gonna be able to get drunk & have fun this weekend.

My worries for every other instant of every other day are making sure all the bills get paid, are my elderly parents doing ok, wil my sister ever stop stressing over everything, will I get laid off from my job this month, what the hell is going to need fixing around the house next, will I be single forever, my face has not been feeling right lately & I'm concerned my Bell's Palsy is acting up again... & the list goes on & on & on.

SO yeah I got a few minor concerns.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
Elfgore said:
I'm eighteen, going to be nineteen in two weeks.

I'm currently worried about what I want to do with my life. I'm currently a history major, going for teaching. But now I'm doubting if that's what I really want to do with my life. One thing I learned when I reached college is that the decisions I make her will change my life. It's quite terrifying actually, not being guided to a goal. So, I'm constantly wondering what I can do for a living and not be totally miserable.
I hear that. My undergrad started the same way. Lot's of people start off on the teaching track, because it's one of the few jobs you know anything about as a youth. Along the way I started writing for my college newspaper, and found I had a stronger love of writing than teaching history. I ended up dropping the teacher thing and getting an English minor. Then I ended up in Grad school before I found out if that degree can do anything for me.

On a side note, lets hear it for History huh? Was anyone surprised by how different a history education is compared with how laymen think of history?

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Worried I won't graduate uni. (Seems like a common one in this thread.)
Worried that even if I do graduate uni, I won't be able to get a job I enjoy.
Worried that the blood tests my Doctor wants next week, but didn't have time to explain since I was late for the appointment, are to investigate some hugely life-affecting condition I currently cannot actually conceive at the moment.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
I'm 22.

My first was in history and the one I'm currently doing qualifies me to work as an archivist or records manager so my main concern is finishing my thesis and getting a job as soon as possible.

That's an impressive amount of degrees for 22. How did you pull that off?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I'm 23.

Currently, I'm worried about making sure I finish everything I need to do to graduate college in the Fall.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm 26 soon to be 27 (Birthday is in April) and my current concern is coming to terms of being a full pledge adult.

I had an argument with my mum a few weeks back mainly discussing about my current career and future. Long story short, we agreed that the plan to moved to the city will go ahead (need to redo the kichen before putting the property on sale) so I can find a better job (I'm part time sales assistant in a retail store). I'm just don't like the idea of working full time (35+ hours) but I know that is pretty much necessary in life (to pay the bill and etc). I just don't want to sacriface my leisure time but hey I know my parent ain't going to be around forever and I do desire to lived on my own just like any other adults.

It doesn't help the fact that my best mate is no longer in the loop of tv show and cartoon (he started living on his own and worked full time from 9-5 and he end up returning home too exhauted to do anything like gaming or watching a show).

I kind of feel like I need some advice or guidance on this matter from someone who is working full time and living alone.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Currently 22.

Right now, my biggest worry is my driving tests that I need to do. Tomorrow is the written test that allows me to get my permit, and while I have been studying for it, I'm still kinda nervous about screwing it up, as there's little margin for error.

I guess another thing I've been worrying about is my general future. I want to become independent from my family, and by getting this license, I feel that my world will definitely open up for me and give me more opportunities.

I also don't know what I really want to be in life. My current job as a porter at a bowling alley isn't a bad job, but I find it kinda boring and tedious, as I usually just spend most of my time there walking around in huge circles looking for things to do. I don't want to quit though as jobs are pretty hard to find.

I could try and finish up my college education, but I just don't feel up to it. I have to get through my general education which involves three different math classes. And me and math do not get along at all. I guess it's laziness, but I just feel college isn't for me right now.

I'm slightly more optimistic about things than I was a few months ago now that I have a source of income AND I'm getting close to being able to drive myself around. So I guess that's something.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
24, going on 25 in a few months.

Honestly, I think I'm most worried about my dating life. I know that's such a cliche and fairly immature thing to focus on, but I worry about it. I confess, I'm one of those guys with hopes of finding someone special, settling down and starting a family.

I thought I would date in High school (didn't) and thought I would date in college (haven't) I'm just having trouble meeting anyone, and I'm graduating from college next summer. Once I'm out of school, I imagine it'll be a lot tougher to meet people without going for either online dating, or the bar scene. One of those is a disgusting cesspool filled with alcohol and STDs...and the other is the bar scene. Plus I've been trying both of those for a few years to no avail...

So yeah. Given where I'm at in my love life right now, I'm probably gonna end up like Ted Mosby and not meet someone til I'm in my 30's. A bit later than I was hoping for, but all I can do is keep trying.

I don't have too much else to worry about. I've got a pretty decent job and I'm doing great in school so...yeah, mostly worry free right now. Just gotta work on improving myself a bit more and hopefully doing a better job at getting out there.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Mr.Cynic88 said:
Colour Scientist said:
I'm 22.

That's an impressive amount of degrees for 22. How did you pull that off?
Not really, it sounds more impressive than it actually is.

I just didn't really take any breaks.

My mom put me into school a year early so i finished secondary school when I had just turned 17, three year undergrad until I was 20, Masters #1, then there was a 10 month gap while I worked and figured out what I wanted to do next, then Masters #2.
I'll be 23 next month and I finish this one in July.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I'm 31.

My biggest concern is that I'm going on 32 and I'm still in the stage of my career where I'm working nonstop, I'm not where I want to be, and I'm still living in a part of the country that I've spent the past 6 years in but have no desire to settle down in. I spent too much time in school after spending time in the army, and got into my industry much later than I would have liked, so I constantly feel like I'm "catching up".

My equal biggest concern is the state of my wrist, which is messed up. I don't think I can afford surgery with my current private health insurance, and I know that if I had a job, it's a pain to have to switch to left hand and try to work for months. Also, there might not be a way to fix it, after two failed surgeries already.

I like my life and what I do, but the stress is always a little bit too much and I'd like to enjoy things a bit more.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I'm 25 and my biggest concern is at work. On paper I seem to have it all, a BSc (Hons) degree in Biochemistry and chemistry, I currently work as a microbiologist after two years of working in biochemistry, so I have another scientific discipline under my belt, but at my work there is nobody to manage us after our manager was taken ill, and the powers that be decided not to replace her while she was on sick leave, and now we have members of staff now bullying other members of staff, which before was clamped down on, as well as a lot of backbiting and bitchiness, which is now allowed to go unchecked. When a manager does decide to show up, they don't seem to care. I hate working there, I really do, but I really want to learn more in microbiology so I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.