What's your controversial opinion?

Mavinchious Maximus

Apr 13, 2011
I dont see that much of a huge difference between Christianity and Islam, being catholic myself.

also the Mormons and Muslims have more similarities then some think.

NoMansLand 666

Jan 14, 2011
Attempting to spoiler to not cause offence, but I'm not sure if this is how you do it so hopefully it goes as planned (it's about 9/11):
That America a) Kind of had 9/11 coming, don't get me wrong, I have the utmost sympathy with the victims and don't believe they deserved it by any means. I base that statement on the American government basically acting like playground bullies at times.

b) America also needs to get the fuck over 9/11. They are attacked, ONCE, and 10 years on they still have their knickers in a twist. Over countries are subjected to this shit on a daily basis, deal with it happening to you ONCE!

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
I feel a dictatorship, under ideal conditions, would be the best form of government. * my view on this is kinda long and complex, so im not going to go into detail with my plan, just list some examples of what i view as an ideal dictator, Ben-Jozef Pilsudski and Cincinnatus, to start with, are what im using as a template. ideally, said dictator would be elected, and retire, when they felt they had accomplished what they felt necessary, maybe out a restriction at around ten years.*
EDIT: I also think pedophilia is a form of mental illness, and we should spend money on researching it, and if it is indeed a form of mental illness, research treatments.

Atlantos

Jul 12, 2010
Despite being a UK student, not only do I support the Government's cuts (as I believe much of the UK's public spending is poured down the drain) but I even go so far as to support the increase in Tuition Fees.

Two reasons for this:

Firstly, Student Loans will still be available and repayable on the same generous terms as they currently are (which effectively makes them free money.

Secondly, I would argue that the numbers of students attending Universities should drop - simply due to the nature of academia and University education. You see since the closure of the polytechnics in the UK, their courses have been taken up by unis; despite the nature of the two styles of education being vastly different. Thus the current system actually lets down many (if not a majority) of students who are looking for a more vocational course which is directly relevant to the workplace - which was what was on offer in the polytechnics. With a bit of luck, with the increase in fees, those that come to Uni will be those who are genuinely motivated to study a particular field of academia, rather than coming along to be an alcoholic hippie for three years.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
I hold the opinion that amount of work and effort put in should directly equal the reward someone gets out, all things being equal.

This gets up the noses of people instantly becuase 1) they say the world isn't like that but also 2) it negated the usual rule of 'it's no what you know by who you know'. That is something, actually that gets up my nose as I'd quite like to live in a meritocracy and not have to play inane games of social politics just to get anywhere.

Sniper Team 4 said:
I believe sex is a special, meaningful act that you should share only with the person you are married to. I get some really weird looks from people when they first ask if I'm a virgin and I say yes, then they ask why and I give them that answer.
Also this. Luckily I have a group of friends who are similarly minded now but at high school I got some very funny looks. "What? You'd only go as far as KISSING?! What?!" (That was a usual response).

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
I dislike the overall idea of furries and believe that one can not love animal-like creatures without serious issues.

Not saying they're bad people, I just think them being furries is disgusting and I would rather they not bring up around me. Before I get flamed by furries, it's one of my best friends that gives me this opinion. She's a great friend, but I hate her furriness, and she acknowledges it and doesn't bring it up.

P.S. - I also believe sex to be something that you share with that one person that you plan on staying with. Only one friend of mine agrees with this.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Does the opinion that this thread needs to be locked count as controversial?
Seriously, I can feel the hate flowing from my computer.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Atlantos said:
Secondly, I would argue that the numbers of students attending Universities should drop - simply due to the nature of academia and University education. You see since the closure of the polytechnics in the UK, their courses have been taken up by unis; despite the nature of the two styles of education being vastly different. Thus the current system actually lets down many (if not a majority) of students who are looking for a more vocational course which is directly relevant to the workplace - which was what was on offer in the polytechnics. With a bit of luck, with the increase in fees, those that come to Uni will be those who are genuinely motivated to study a particular field of academia, rather than coming along to be an alcoholic hippie for three years.
I could weep from happiness that someone else shares my opinion of the British tertiary education system. Though I'd have to disagree regarding tuition fees.

I have a theory that the 13yr Labour stint raised the proportion of school leavers going to uni to 1. reduce unemployment figures (albeit in the most stunted way) & 2. flood the economy (i.e. lending) with free money (student loans).

(I might have something wrong there...)

OT: My controversial opinion... which is incidentally education related.

The entire UK educational system needs to be overhauled. These days, exams are easy beyond belief and the grading system is stupid as well: A* at A-Level... WTF?!

I personally would rather see an examination set that was prohibitively difficult (at least at GCSE to genuinely weed out those who are cut out for academia from those who aren't). Having a good salary is not contingent on having a degree, and only those who are suited to the academic ethos should go to uni. And roughly half of them should be shut down for providing courses that have no hope of guaranteeing related employment afterwards.

No disrespect intended to those taking the course, but what is the point of Derby University offering 'Dance & Accountancy'?!

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
I also feel that deeply religious people should not be allowed to become doctors or scientists, unless their religious beliefs will not effect medical decisions, neo-pagans and buddhists for example. hard core Christians, Jewish people, and Muslims, on the other hand, have several beliefs that contradict the normal practices of medicine and science

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
Nimcha said:
It seems my opinion that weed should be illegal (and stay illegal where it already is) is highly controversial on this site (and on the internet as a whole, it seems).
I second this.Also sometimes I catch myself thinking that the human race as a whole really doesn't deserve to survive.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
1) People need to be educated on matters before they're allowed to call others "stupid," such as the dozen or so people in this thread calling the United States of America a "democracy," when in fact the United States of America is a REPUBLIC.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

- United States of Americ Pledge of Allegiance

A republic is a part of democracy, but it is still not democracy. Democracy is everyone votes on an issue, e.g. majority ruling on if we want to nuke some country because they tipped over our milk carton. That would never work. A republic is where everyone is allowed to vote on leaders to control their world.

2) Smokers should be required to smoke at some distant place, possibly around a hundred feet away from the nearest public building, or outside of their own home if there's an underage minor inside the building. If the house is full of adults that are okay with it, they can smoke there fine.

Why? Because of second hand smoke, that's fairly obvious. And honestly, I'm tired of smokers, including my ex's who have now become smokers too. It's an odd perspective for me, personally. Why does something that kills you slowly with every single cigarette make you "happy"? Are you suicidal? Same with cannabis, or "weed," as every "joint" gives you around 2.5 to 5 cigarette's worth of smoke and can cause schizophrenia. However, they must be in private and not near minors. Not necessarily for second-hand effects, but for social reasons and public consideration, just like you wouldn't go around masturbating in front of children or out in public, and can be subject to fine or rehabilitation.

3) If you drink and drive, your license should be removed for up to and no less than a year for punishment. Why? Because your stupidity could have killed someone, or yourself. I think a year would be long enough to reflect upon this and decide not to do it again. Second offense five years, third offense is permanent removal of a license, although at this point the government should offer to buy off your car at blue-book value since you'll no longer be needing it. You can refuse, if you'd like, for whatever reason or choice.

As for people who text and drive, smaller and less serve punishments, but punishments nevertheless. Possible a quarter of a year suspension the first time (3 months), half a year the second offense, a year the third, and permanent for the fourth with the same offering available as above.

4) While I dislike being "soft" on criminals, and most who are in prison usually deserve it (although I'll never accept it's fool proof, too many mistakes are made and innocents are jailed), it should instead be a rehabilitation place. Of course we'd still maintain the records and depending on the crime they'll have to serve a longer stay, but hopefully this will fix the issue and will not create resentment that usually follows. Although I'd suggest trying this out in some sort of a trial run first, to make sure this opinion can actually work before we should apply this sort of approach to criminals. It may require a completely different style than what's being thought of here.

I'm sure I've upset a great many people here, but well, a lot of people have upset me here as well. I don't really care in the end, though, because this is a controversial opinion thread after all.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
I believe sex is a special, meaningful act that you should share only with the person you are married to. I get some really weird looks from people when they first ask if I'm a virgin and I say yes, then they ask why and I give them that answer.
The fact that I believe in God also seems to be rather controversial, at least on this site.
Lots and lots of this.
OT: I'm a Christian, and I hate it that as soon as I mention that, everybody assumes that I can't know what I'm talking about.

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
t3h br0th3r said:
Underground Man said:
t3h br0th3r said:
I can't understand why Christianity gets so much hate.

It seems like most of the 'religion is evil' sentiment comes from kids, teens, and 20 somethings (of which i am one) wanting to 'stick it to the man' or offend their Christian parents as much as possible.
Atheism isn't about sticking it to "the man," unless by "the man" you are referring to the heaps of legislators throughout the United States that vote by their bibles. Atheism is about promoting humanistic values and encouraging rationalism, critical thinking, and scientific progress. kool

Where i am from (Mid-western USA), I'm considered a moderately religious guy (I pray before I eat a meal and before I go to bed) but the second i step onto the forums people suddenly look at me crazy and tell me I believe in fairy tales.
Moderate or no, there are still some things you are required to believe in if you want to consider yourself an xtian. Absurd things like a man calling himself the son of god came back from the dead. Or that saints rose from the grave and invaded the city and interacted with the people in it (though, for some reason none of the Roman officials felt the need to write any of this stuff down, and the only accounts of this happening are mutually-exclusive and written by men with an agenda long after this so-called son of god died). Therefore, you do, in fact, believe in fairy tales.

Not to mention the fact that, just by being paying members of religious organizations, moderates are complacent in the terrible things the more extreme members of their religion do.

This just isn't true. I am a member of Mt. Vernon AME(African methodist episcopal church)Church. When i put my tithe in the offering plate it goes to Mt. Vernon, who primarily uses the money for programs, keeping the lights on and (because we have a big congregation) paying the minister's salary. Some of it goes to The District (in my case the 3rd district) who then gives some to the AME brass. The brass uses it to give to struggling churches, various charities and to keep its operations going (like the colleges and seminary we run).

The money does not go to any extremists. The money doesn't even go to other, legit, denominations, therefore meaning I do not fund exstreamists, do not agree with them, and should we run into one another I argue against them.

Its as if some (and not all) of the atheists here think Christianity is some kind of sinister organization seeking to rule the world. Like any expression of faith, no matter how personal, is an attack on atheism or some kind of subliminal recruitment campaign.
Well, speaking as an atheist who has spent a lot of time listening/reading/talking about xtianity with other atheists, no. No one actually believes that. xtianity has hundreds of sects and is too decentralized to be an organization like you're describing. Now, if you mean individual groups of xtians, like fundamentalists or catholics, then yes. They want to (and have in the past) shape the country/world in their image. Same with islam.

Why can't we just respect region or leave it alone if we can't say anything good about it? Why must those who express their faith here be attacked for it? I don't go around calling atheists godless heathens, why treat me in the same manner?
Because people under the influence of religion have done terrible things, and whitewashing history to avoid offending people is tacit approval. It's not even like anyone is even "attacking" xtians -- at least not atheists. Atheists are just pointing out reality using words. Now, if you go to say, Saudi Arabia there you'll see xtians getting attacked, but not by atheists. By other religious people who are just as sure as you are that they are right.
I am not saying we should whitewash history, i am simply saying that we should show deeply held belifes respect. Calling the life, works, and story of Jesus a fairy tales is almost as offensive as calling me the N-word. I'm not saying forget the crusades, i am calling for civility.

I also have that opinion and its gotten me laughed at before, but to be Christian is to be counter-cultural to a certain existent, no mater where you live.
Why do xtians have such a persecution complex? xtians are not being persecuted. Something like 80% of people in the US think of themselves as religious. How is that counter-cultural at all?

There is a difference between checking a box on the census and the reality on the ground. In reality, the United States is an agnostic nation, not a Christian nation, at least culturally. If we still were a Christian nation then we wouldn't have an issue with teen pregnancy or STDs because people wouldn't be out having the premarital sex that causes the problem. The culture of the United States celebrates promiscuity and looks at virgins over the age of 20 as losers. Saying your not going to have sex until you are married is a counter cultural view in the United States.

The fact that you are even an xtian, and not hindu or muslim just goes to show how prevalent xtianity is in the US. Have you ever thought about why this religion, and not another? It's because you were born into a society heavily influenced by xtianity. If you had been born in Afghanistan, you'd be a muslim right now. Doesn't that very fact make you wonder about how legitimate any one religion is?
not really. I've played the 'what if I were born under different circumstances' game for days but in the end reality is reality. I believe God puts us where he puts us for a reason, one we may not know but he does.
Just want to point out, AMERICA WAS NEVER A CHRISTIAN NATION. Look up the freaking treaty of Tripoli.* in short a legal document signed UNANIMOUSLY by congress, which in part of it affirmed that the US was not in any form founded on christian principles.

UmJammerSully

May 29, 2011
dancinginfernal said:
I dislike the overall idea of furries and believe that one can not love animal-like creatures without serious issues.

Not saying they're bad people, I just think them being furries is disgusting and I would rather they not bring up around me. Before I get flamed by furries, it's one of my best friends that gives me this opinion. She's a great friend, but I hate her furriness, and she acknowledges it and doesn't bring it up.
Hmmm, I'm not a furry nor have I met anyone that is furry but I can't say I totally agree, though you might be right that "furryism" probably leads to sex-related issues, though I've never even met or spoken to a furry before so I'm not at liberty to say. Do you genuinely think your friend's "furriness" affects her life in a particularly negative way? Or is it just that it "freaks you out"?

Not sure why furries get more abuse than most other fetishes. It's weird and sometimes disgusting sure, but I feel sympathy for those afraid to talk about their weird fetishes out of fear of ridicule. There's obviously something about it that causes non-furries to react to it so negatively, but I really couldn't say what that is as I've had very little exposure to it.

That being said, if I met a furry that shoved their "furriness" down my throat I'm sure that would get really annoying, really fast...

P.S. This is my very first post here. Yay me!

EDIT:

Griffstar said:
I find fat people disgusting, lazy and not worth living.

People who just eat unhealthy, don't take care of themselves and above all are incredibly lazy. Not people with health conditions or that of the sort.
As a pretty chunky dude I feel I should respond. I've been fairly overweight most of my life (I'm only 21 now) and I'm just recently starting to feel "Oh shit, this is a big problem." I won't make excuses and I know all too well that being fat is a problem. I've been eating a lot healthier lately and of course exercising more, but once you have that fat, it's not so easy to get rid of. I'm committed though and I will be my ideal weight before long.

Yet apparently you think I deserve to have my life taken from me just for allowing myself to get this way as a kid? Do you not think that sounds a little borderline psychotic? (which is pretty much par for the course with this thread. Seriously, some of you guys scare me...)

That being said, fat people who deny that being fat is a problem do really bug me. Fortunatly I have my head screwed on tight and don't wish death upon them like a complete maniac. ;)

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
BabyRaptor said:
I have several. Then again, I'm a Liberal, Pagan, Bisexual female living in the bible belt.

1) The US is NOT a christian nation. It's right there (several times) in the Constitution. People refusing to believe this does not make it false. No religion, or it's beliefs, should be taught in schools. No religion or it's beliefs should be allowed to dictate law. No religion should have carte blanche to to shit talk and demonize any other religion (or atheists.)

2) Illegal aliens should be rounded up and shipped back to where they came from, and border security needs to beefed to the max. I lived in Sanctuary City (AKA Houston, Texas) most of my life...I've seen what these people do. The "they just come here for a better life" story people use to pull heart strings is a total crock. Also, while we're at it, get rid of citizenship upon birth. At least one parent MUST be a citizen.

3) Free speech needs relooked. I understand the importance of the law, don't get me wrong. But when you have Faux Noise brainwashing a good chunk of the country like it does and hiding from any and all punishment behind the First Amendment, or Westboro Baptist being completely immune from punishment for the harm they cause people...No. There needs to be a way for other citizens to hold these people, and any others who would abuse the power, accountable.

4) Stop thinking your beliefs trump my rights. I should be able to marry any consenting adult I want. And the only other people who should have any weight in a decision over my body are the guy involved and my doctor.

5) Tax churches. They long ago stopped adhering to the "No political preaching" rule. And on that note, NO TAX DOLLARS for "faith based initiatives." If you can piss and moan about your tax dollars going to my healthcare, I should be able to deny you mine for your religious shit.

Think that's plenty enough to have me several quotes of flaming when I log in next.
Not that I disagree with most of what you say (except the second one) you do have opinions normally assosiated with the opposite political leanings of each other. Not saying it was bad (I believe in gay marriage just as much as I do gun rights, so we are somewhat alike) just find it interesting.

Mine: More guns make everybody safer. Study after study after study has found higher gun owning areas have lower crime rates since criminals are more scared of the common person rather then the cops that on average take 30 minutes to respond to a call.

I also like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Final Fantasy XIII and Neverwinter Nights 2 were exceptionally fun games, and I enjoyed every minute of them (except the seer character that keeps forcing you to party her around in Act 3 of Neverwinter Nights 2 - she can fuck right off. Also, I WANT NEESHKA ROMANCE, DAMN YOU!).

Pifflestick

Jun 10, 2008
I think Abrahamic religion is the cause of most of humanities ills. Look at most massacres and prejudice and you'll see bible-thumpers pounding away shouting verses to support their evils.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Mine: More guns make everybody safer. Study after study after study has found higher gun owning areas have lower crime rates since criminals are more scared of the common person rather then the cops that on average take 30 minutes to respond to a call.

I also like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
I agree with your basic idea, but I think the Second Amendment is grossly over-hyped. For example, did you hear about the recent law that Florida passed, stating that it's a violation of a person's Second Amendment rights if a doctor asks them if there is a gun in their house?

Leaving aside the mind-melting question of "How, exactly, is a doctor asking you if you own a gun violating your right that says the government can't stop you from owning a musket?"...Does anyone else see the major issue? The next time a patient shows up in the ER with a gunshot wound, the doctor won't be able to ask how he got the injury for fear of hearing "I accidentally shot myself" or some variant, and then he'll have violated the law. And I'm betting dollars to donuts that law won't protect any doctor being sued for malpractice after having messed up due to not being able to get accurate information.

Sorry, I ranted.